Gramma Jackie's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gramma Jackie's Journal

Postby carollynne » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 pm

BTw, I agree, the MWl plan is very restrictive and too hard for me to really stick to. I think I love bread far too much.... so.... I must agree that the reg plan is what I am doing too. and I feel ok, but the wt coming off is slower, but it will stay off too. I do have some days of no breads, but not today....
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

carollynne wrote:BTw, I agree, the MWl plan is very restrictive and too hard for me to really stick to. I think I love bread far too much.... so.... I must agree that the reg plan is what I am doing too. and I feel ok, but the wt coming off is slower, but it will stay off too. I do have some days of no breads, but not today....

I made the mistake of joining Mike T's Holiday Excursion. I have never joined a challenge before. I just don't do well on them, but I like Mike. He's a nice guy and I admire him a lot, so I joined. But challenges and even the MWL program itself just give me too much of a diet mentality I guess. I feel restricted and that makes me want to binge. Both my body and my mind rebel with that many restrictions. Dr. McDougall has said that people can lose on both plans, but with MWL they lose it a bit sooner. However if I keep falling off the wagon with it I won't lose weight any sooner, so I just decided to stay with the regular program. That's where I feel the most comfortable. It's something I can live with the rest of my life. Also the recipes on the Engine2 website and Dr. Neal Barnard's website and books are more compatible with the regular McDougall program.

p.s. You are really doing well with your weight loss too.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 pm

wife2abadge wrote:You catch more flies with honey, right? I know for me, criticism stings. I'd prefer someone noting something I did correctly than pointing out all of the things I do incorrectly!

I'm enjoying your blog, btw.

Thanks for stopping by my journal and blog! :)
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Yesterday it was clear and 70+ degrees which was nice because it was election day. Today however it is cooler with wind and rain. So I am not going to get my walk in. I need to break out the treadmill. Right now it is in storage.

My meals today:

B-Oatmeal with fruit

L- Garbanzo bean sandwich with pickle relish on GF whole grain bread

D-Red cabbage with apples, potato pancakes

Snacks: mini rice cakes
Gramma Jackie

Postby fulenn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Gramma Jackie,

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! Your sandwich at lunch looks really good, today. I really like pickle relish. :)

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:06 pm

fulenn wrote:Hi Gramma Jackie,

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! Your sandwich at lunch looks really good, today. I really like pickle relish. :)

Fulenn

It's one of the recipes on the McDougall 12 Day Free Program meal plan (on the main page of the website). I used to eat bean sandwiches when I was a kid. Yummy!
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:47 am

I've decided to post in my journal in the mornings. It works better for me that way. I will post my meal plan for the day and then if I change it or eat something extra I'll just go back and edit my meal plan.

The weather here in Ohio is like a roller coaster. It was sunny and warm Tues., then cool and very windy and rainy yesterday and today it is cold and clear. It's hard to predict. Anyway, hopefully I can bundle up and go for a walk today.

I am just so happy I can go up and down the stairs easily now because my computer is upstairs in the loft overlooking my great room. I should have gotten a laptop the last time I bought a new computer, but I am very near-sighted and needed to get a very large screen, so I got a desk model.

My meal plan for today:

B- Gluten-free cereal, almond milk

L- Leftover Beans and Spanish rice, GF tortilla

D- Asian stir "fry" (bok choy, snow peas, bell peppers, onions), brown rice

Snacks- 2 lg. rice cakes, herbal tea,
salad with strawberries and dried cranberries plus a few slivered almonds on top
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:30 am

Lost another pound for a total of 30 lbs. lost so far.

Today's Meal Plan

B- Potato Hash, GF whole grain toast (dry)

L- vegetable soup

D- Pinto beans, rice & salsa on a GF tortilla

Snacks: raw veggies with white bean dip
Gramma Jackie

Postby Chile » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:56 am

Congratulations on 30 pounds down!

I love those dried cranberries and always buy them in the way-too-big bags. Then I'm struggling to find ways to use them up. Did you know a few tossed into a pot of soup are nice? Every now and then you get a nice sweet little bite of one. They're also integral to my tasty wild rice-orzo salad with roasted leeks, toasted pecans, and fatfree balsamic vinaigrette. (I'm making myself hungry!)
Chile

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 am

Chile wrote:Congratulations on 30 pounds down!

I love those dried cranberries and always buy them in the way-too-big bags. Then I'm struggling to find ways to use them up. Did you know a few tossed into a pot of soup are nice? Every now and then you get a nice sweet little bite of one. They're also integral to my tasty wild rice-orzo salad with roasted leeks, toasted pecans, and fatfree balsamic vinaigrette. (I'm making myself hungry!)

Well I bought strawberries yesterday and my husband wanted me to make strawberry shortcake. I talked him out of that, but then he wanted strawberries and ice cream. I told him I wasn't going to eat that either, so he bought So Delicious (Soy) ice cream, which actually is a step in the right direction for him. At first I was going to eat it too, but I thought better of it and made a salad which encorporated the strawberries and also the cranberries in it. So that was a "win-win" situation. We both ate the salad and he was happy with his strawberries and "ice cream" for dessert. :D

p.s. Thanks for the tips about the cranberries.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 am

hey I just read the last two pages of your journal. You are listening to your own body and making the decisions that are right for you.

Keep on going! You are an inspiration and I love your blog!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks Buns,

Not only that, but my husband is starting to follow my example. Lecturing about it doesn't work. Being an example does. :)
Gramma Jackie

Postby nomikins » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:53 am

Gramma Jackie wrote:Thanks Buns,

Not only that, but my husband is starting to follow my example. Lecturing about it doesn't work. Being an example does. :)

Yep, that is the truth. I came to the realization that why should anyone take me seriously if I don't take myself seriously? Actions speak louder than words.
nomikins

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi Grandma Jackie.
Yay that your hubby is starting to follow in your footsteps.
Keep up the good work.

IT is the tortoise that wins the race in the end.

I think one of the biggest lessons I have learned on here is to stick with it and in time you will find your way to the right weight.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby nomikins » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 am

Like Jeff N. says: Time and adherence.
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals