Gramma Jackie's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gramma Jackie's Journal

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:32 pm

I've changed the name of my journal. This is my personal experiences with weight loss and other stuff.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Gramma Jackie

Re: Gramma Jackie's Journal

Postby SactoBob » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi Jackie,
Sorry I intimidated you - not my intention at all. Let me know below if you want me to delete this post and I will. I will also post nothing more in your journal unless you ask. If I had PM working, I would have PM's you, but I don't.

I think that you have been honest in your posts - which is why I thought I could help you. I am also gluten intolerant and have a very efficient metabolism. I also thought that it would be too difficult to give up the dried cereals, bagels, pizzas, etc., but it turned out not to be. If ever find that you do want to find a way and think that I could help, please don't hesitate to ask.

I've sort of been where you are - in fact you are eating very close to the diet that got me fat and sick when I thought I was eating right. Because of your post in my "Testimony" thread, I thought that you were asking for help. Sorry if I misconstrued your post. I've been luck enough to benefit from personal access to Dr. M and Jeff, which has really helped me to understand things. Because of that, I want to give back to these wonderful people who have done so much for my family, and I really enjoy helping people reach goals, but only if they want that help. I wish you success with whatever you decide to do, and will be very happy with that success.
SactoBob

Postby Adrienne » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Gramma Jackie

I also eat gluten-free and have for over a decade, though I can eat oats. Since going off gluten I went off of breads and cereals entirely. You can do it you just need to find new breakfast foods you love. If you dont like oatmeal you could try brown rice, which is what I do along with Pinkrose.

My dad has been mcdougalling (sort of) for 2 years. He went to the ASW exactly 2 years ago and came home and announced he didnt want to be fat anymore and that he was going vegetarian. He gave up almost all animal foods and did lose weight but his weight loss has stalled and I keep telling him why: the breakfast cereals, the almond milk, the bread, the desserts (even the mcdougall-friendly desserts), not to mention bits of oil. I cringe every time he calls me from work to tell me that he gave unsolicited diet advice to one of his clients. I am like "why should they listen to you when you are still fat?" I keep telling him to get rid of the C.R.A.P (that's calorie rich & processed) and be a healthy spokesperson.

Anyway congratulations for getting to that place, where you are ready to make further changes and lose the extra weight. It may seem hard at first but YOU CAN DO IT. And you will find new foods you love! Many are here to help you out.

Get healthy for your super-cute grandson!
Adrienne

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:33 pm

I really don't want to give up my breakfast cereal. The only fruit I eat is bananas and I eat 1/2 of a banana most mornings on my cereal (my husband eats the other half). I have been using almond "milk" because it is the lowest calorie non-dairy milk at only 20 calories per 1/2 cup, which is the amount I use. That makes it only 1.5 grams of fat. I suppose I could use rice milk, but it would be 60 calories for the same amount and .5 grams of fat. As far as the cereal goes, I have eaten several kinds of gluten free cereals--all low calorie and low fat. The gluten-free Rice Chex which I eat on occasion is made out of whole grain rice. It does have some sugar in it, but is only 100 calories per cup and fat-free. I don't put any sugar on it. I honestly don't see how eating a cup or less of gluten-free Rice Chex or Rice Krispies is going to make or break my diet. I would eat the Arrowhead Mills cereals that Dr. McDougall listed in his Maximum weight loss books if I could, but they are not certified gluten-free. They do carry a couple of gluten-free cereals, but they have more sugar and fat in them than the Rice Chex or Rice Krispies. I only eat those kinds of cereals in the warm months. In the cold months I eat gluten-free oatmeal, buckwheat and cream of rice. I am willing however to give up all bread and any other grain products. I think it is the gluten-free bread and bagels more than the cereal that is stalling my progress.
Gramma Jackie

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:28 pm

I like oatmeal/cherries in the am, it sticks with me all day, but I also use Almond Milk on it. It is the low sugar, I cannot find sugar free where I shop. However, I just use 1/4 c, maybe even a little less. I also on occassion eat Cheerios. :shock: I love them. I will buy a box, maybe eat 2 bowls over the course of a couple days, then the box sits for a week.

So you get a bit more "milk" when eating cold cereal. Since you can eat oats, maybe you could combine a few different kinds, just have it as a cold cereal, mix in the banana. Might be more nutritious than the cold cereal & keep you full longer?

I used to use Rice Milk all the time on my cereal, but blah, it is gross & soy milk has a funny smell. So I have settled on the almond milk. It sort of has no flavor but it doesn't have an aftertaste or smell either.

I also love hash browns in the am. They just dont stay with me as long.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 am

janluvs2heel wrote:I like oatmeal/cherries in the am, it sticks with me all day, but I also use Almond Milk on it. It is the low sugar, I cannot find sugar free where I shop. However, I just use 1/4 c, maybe even a little less. I also on occassion eat Cheerios. :shock: I love them. I will buy a box, maybe eat 2 bowls over the course of a couple days, then the box sits for a week.

So you get a bit more "milk" when eating cold cereal. Since you can eat oats, maybe you could combine a few different kinds, just have it as a cold cereal, mix in the banana. Might be more nutritious than the cold cereal & keep you full longer?

I used to use Rice Milk all the time on my cereal, but blah, it is gross & soy milk has a funny smell. So I have settled on the almond milk. It sort of has no flavor but it doesn't have an aftertaste or smell either.

I also love hash browns in the am. They just dont stay with me as long.

I like oatmeal. In fact I like just about all cereal, hot or cold, except highly sugared cereals. I have never eaten highly sugared cereals not even as a kid. I don't put sugar on anything or in my tea, etc. I never thought about putting cherries in oatmeal. That sounds pretty good. I may try it. I agree about the almond milk tasting better than the rice milk. Rice milk tastes like dirty water. :thumbsdown:
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:55 am

I've lost 2 lbs. this week. :-D
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Broadbean » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 am

Well, I'm rooting for you! I always enjoy your posts.
Broadbean

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 am

Broadbean wrote:Well, I'm rooting for you! I always enjoy your posts.

I am rooting for you, too. And I am with Broadbean, I enjoy your posts & your honesty.

About the cherries, I use frozen ones, just mix up my oatmeal, water & then add the cherries. Microwave for 3.20 min., add the almond milk & it tastes great.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 am

janluvs2heel wrote:

I am rooting for you, too. And I am with Broadbean, I enjoy your posts & your honesty.

About the cherries, I use frozen ones, just mix up my oatmeal, water & then add the cherries. Microwave for 3.20 min., add the almond milk & it tastes great.

Thank you. I have some frozen cherries. I should have tried them today. I will try them the next time I have outmeal. We are still in the process of housebreaking our new pound puppy.

He's not really a puppy anymore, though. He's more like a teenager! So I've got my hands full with him, my adult children who call me everyday about their problems and caring for my elderly mother. My husband said I shouldn't have gotten the dog, but I just needed to do something for myself and so Beau the Basset is a little present I gave myself--even if he is a lot of work. We go on nice long walks everyday which gets me out of the house and exercising! :-)
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Jackie,
Beau is so lovely. I love those long, velvety hound dog ears. Thinking about the whole housebreaking thing, how is he doing? I had a redbone hound for awhile and he was housebroken, but every once in awhile, I'd find a puddle. Finally, one day, I saw him do it and figured it out. He was having little epileptic seizures. He would stop in his tracks, get this far-away look in his eyes, and just whiz wherever he was (on the couch, for example!). The vet put him on a very low doze phenobarbitol and that fixed that problem. So, if that's what you are seeing, it's worth checking into.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Melinda » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Beau is beautiful! I agree that doing something for yourself is very important esp. because it sounds like you are doing a lot of giving to others. Great that you rescued a dog!
Melinda

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote:Thank you. I have some frozen cherries. I should have tried them today. I will try them the next time I have outmeal. We are still in the process of housebreaking our new pound puppy.
He's not really a puppy anymore, though. He's more like a teenager! So I've got my hands full with him, my adult children who call me everyday about their problems and caring for my elderly mother. My husband said I shouldn't have gotten the dog, but I just needed to do something for myself and so Beau the Basset is a little present I gave myself--even if he is a lot of work. We go on nice long walks everyday which gets me out of the house and exercising! :-)

GJ-Beau is very cute. He looks like he needs just a little weight on him. He will make a great walking partner. Dont know if you have ever had a dog before, but crates are great to help with h.breaking. I will put them in it with a cookie or I might feed them in it, then start closing the door for a just a few minutes so it is a happy place. It is a great place for him to sleep or be when you go out. He should have a schedule, especially now, while he is still adjusting to a new routine. Do you know what his story was? If it was me, I would take him out every hour during the day, on the leash so he learns to do his business & not just run around sniffing & keep him with me all the time when he is inside. Dont let him have the run of the house, at least until he is housetrained. I assume he is neutered so hopefully he wont be marking.
I am glad that you have treated yourself well & he will have a good home. Hopefully your husband will warm up to him in time.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:54 am

janluvs2heel wrote:
GJ-Beau is very cute. He looks like he needs just a little weight on him. He will make a great walking partner. Dont know if you have ever had a dog before, but crates are great to help with h.breaking. I will put them in it with a cookie or I might feed them in it, then start closing the door for a just a few minutes so it is a happy place. It is a great place for him to sleep or be when you go out. He should have a schedule, especially now, while he is still adjusting to a new routine. Do you know what his story was? If it was me, I would take him out every hour during the day, on the leash so he learns to do his business & not just run around sniffing & keep him with me all the time when he is inside. Dont let him have the run of the house, at least until he is housetrained. I assume he is neutered so hopefully he wont be marking.
I am glad that you have treated yourself well & he will have a good home. Hopefully your husband will warm up to him in time.

Hi Jan,

We've had our rescue Basset Hound for about a week and a half now. He's a real sweetie, but was completely untrained. He was found wandering and turned into the country animal shelter. I was looking for a dog and saw him on their website. He had a microchip, but when they called his owners they didn't want him back. The people at the shelter said he couldn't go to anyone who lived in an apartment, so I am supposing he was left alone all day in an apartment and howled all day. He's had about 3 accidents in the house, but we've got him on a schedule now and are crate training him and he's doing a lot better. Fortunately I am home all day and can take him out. We also have a dog park,complete with poop stations with bags and a place to dispose of them just 1/2 block from out house. We are also getting a fence put in. We have been feeding him IAMS and he looks like he's gained a few pounds already. He was neutered at the shelter, but still marks outside. He seems to be getting used to his new home and schedule and we hope to have him for the rest of his life. :)
Gramma Jackie

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals