mtns MWL journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

mtns MWL journal

Postby mtns » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 pm

I decided to keep a new journal until I reach the weight loss I need to reach. I am now at 145.8. I would like to get down to at least 140 or 135 would be good.

My goal is to plan, plan, plan. Planning ahead always helps me out. I need to have food ready that when I am hungry it is already ready. That helps a lot. It keeps me from snacking on stuff I shouldn't.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

B: oatmeal with small banana, stevia

L: split pea soup, large salad, sweet potato slices

S: sweet potatoes or apple

D: my class is tonight, so I am going to make costa vida type salad- black beans, rice, salad, salsa, my homemade dressing, cilantro

S: oatmeal
mtns

Re: mtns MWL journal

Postby mtns » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 pm

My class went good last night. I didn't know what to think, if people really were liking the class and the material or not. I did show a video last night from lifestyle magazine on the full plate diet. I don't agree with everything in their diet, but I like how she explained that eating high fiber foods were the way to go and she explained how high fiber foods will help you to lose weight. She did a really good job explaining it. It made me think last night when I ate 4 of my oatmeal raisin cookies last night. I was wondering why I wasn't totally stuffed, the way I get with oatmeal. Then I thought of her talk and how she said that most high fiber foods have a lot of water in them and that they fill you up. When I cook my oatmeal with water it fills me up better. My oatmeal cookies have very little water in them. So it really made sense to me. Every one seemed to love the video.

I began to worry last night if this class was making an impact and asked God to at least show me that it was doing some good. Well today a lady called me, because she was making up her grocery list. She wanted to know if bananas and carrots are bad for you as she heard that people who ate bananas gained weight and that carrots had lots of sugar in them. I explained to her yes, that if she ate a ton of bananas she would gain weight, but bananas in themselves are not bad for you and that you just shouldn't overeat them as with anything else, because they do have about 90 calories. I told her carrots are good for her. I told her that if God made them out of the ground, then they are not bad for her. It really gave me hope that I am helping these ladies.

I did good sticking to the MWL yesterday. Even my cookies are MWL. I do need to stay away from fruit sweetened jelly, it is causing me problems with my sugar issues.

E: 1 hr. my own version of boot camp- weights and cardio mix

B: oatmeal with 1 small banana, stevia

S: 2 oatmeal cookies

L: leftover costa vida salad

S: apple or sweet potato with blueberries

D: mashed potatoes with homemade gravy, roasted broccoli, green beans

S; oatmeal
mtns

Postby carrotlvr » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi,

You didn't mention what this class is? Are you teaching some sort of health/nutrition class? I have tried to make healthy oatmeal cookies for myself but even those are too tempting for me. Good for you that you can have just a few and stop, I would not be able to.

Kris
carrotlvr

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Oooh! What a great idea, that costa vida style salad! I have everything except the lettuce...black beans, rice (might use quinoa) some corn, some tomatoes. Salsa...mmmm :unibrow:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby mtns » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm

I am teaching a weight loss class at my church. It is bibical, but I am using the principles of Mcdougall. I do cooking demos and we taste test the food. They get the recipes and a bible study to do througout the week.

And no, I don't do good with any kind of treats. Even if they are MWL. So I put the rest of the cookies in the freezer. I have had 6 of those today. No more. It is weird, because I don't over eat on oatmeal, but I do on the cookies. I told my class, that they wouldn't find many desserts in my class, because I just don't make them. I do make them on occasion for my family, but hardly ever, because I end up eating them. It is not worth it to me. Half the time my kids like bread and fruit for their snacks anyway.

Buns, if you try the quiona with it let me know how it is. I love this dish, I could almost eat it every day.
mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 pm

I overate on my homemade cookies, but no more of that. Thank goodness they are MWL, but still they are way too easy for me to overeat. Overall, I did good yesterday and stayed on MWL. I was tempted today to eat something off plan, but did not even go there. Instead I had an apple.

E; 1 hr. x-biking

1 B: at 5:30 am- running out the door, so I had 3 small oatmeal cookies

2 B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia

S: apple

L: leftover hashbrowns with homemade gravy, green beans and broccoli

S: carrots and maybe sweet potatoes

D: leftover costa vida salad

S: if still hungry a little oatmeal
mtns

Postby mtns » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Just posting today. A few slip ups, but I am willing to admit them.

E:1 hr. weights class, 35 min. elliptical

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia

S: a few sweet potatoes

L: leftover costa vida type salad

S: more sweet potatoes with blueberries, 3 rice cakes- one with soy cheese

D: I was thinking of a baked potato with some veggies- I have a new seasoning I want to try. I either want to try the pesto one or the spinach herb

S: if hungry oatmeal
mtns

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Sounds like a good plan. If you fall off, just get up dust yourself off and get back on. :D
Gramma Jackie

Postby mtns » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:49 am

Yesterday was not pretty. Again it is about being prepared. I had a hectic busy day and was not fully prepared. I went over to my pastor's house to watch their girls until my older daughter got there. I was not planning on being that late. When my daughter got there she wanted pizza. So I went and got pizza for them. Well I love pizza. I ended up eating 2 pieces( both without cheese). Pizza is not very filling. Then a little while later when we got home. My husband wanted to go out to costa vida. So I ended up having a vegetarian salad there. Then I came home and before bed had 2 rice cakes with a little peanut butter. I don't know what my problem was yesterday. I know that I need to be prepared, but I also know that when I am stressed and tired I tend to eat. I need to stop that.

We are having our feista party today for school. I was going to make tamale's with refried beans in them, but didn't get around to it. So we are having tacos instead. We did pinates, a bull fight and the kids are now doing wrestling.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia

L:sweet potatoes with refried beans or hashbrowns with potatoes, salad

S: sweet potatoes with blueberries or apple with potato

D: hashbrown potatoes with homemade gravy, veggies

S: oatmeal
mtns

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning