19 Days to Prepare for Seagull Century bike ride

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

19 Days to Prepare for Seagull Century bike ride

Postby StarchBeet » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:00 pm

I have to make the "no exceptions" rule a must for working on strengthening and stretching to ride on the 15th of October. I may have to ask Lani if she'd suggests something to prepare but I'm basically going to walk everyday and ride when ever I can. Its hard to ride alone where I live because my bike lends itself to being desired and I'm not going to temp anyone. My ex took my fantastic hybrid, Marin, that I loved, and we got for next to nothing, so I'm out of luck on the bike riding. I think daily yoga and walking would suffice.

Then I have to organize my equipment, clean it, tune everything up and get it all together and ready. I've walked both days this weekend and a few days last week. I am still looking for my yoga DVD which I took out of my stuck player. I may have dropped it behind the desk so I'll look on the ground. :crybaby:

When I was at the fundraiser last weekend they had a silent auction and I was the only bidder on a basket-full of stretch and weight equipment. I can wear weights and use the bands and strengtheners that I got there, too.
StarchBeet

Re: 19 Days to Prepare for Seagull Century bike ride

Postby Chile » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Have you been riding your bike a lot? Cuz if not, 19 days to prepare for 100 miles is ... um, crazy. :eek:

Nice deal on alk the equipment!
Chile

Postby Hamster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

I wish you all the luck possible, but if I was you I'd try to get in a couple of really long rides before the event and also lots of shorter ones. The best preparation for an endurance bike ride is lots of riding. This is because cycling uses different muscle groups to those used in walking so not certain how good a preparation that would be.

I admire your attitude and the best of luck and please let us know how you go.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby SactoBob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:02 am

If you're not in shape for the ride now, 19 days is probably not enough time, but relax. I don't know if this is your first long ride or not, so I apologize if this seems elementary:

1. Don't overtrain yourself into an injury. Do what you reasonably can without pushing.

2. There is a metric century option (62 miles). Take that one.

3. On the century, there are rest stops and sag wagons. Don't be ashamed to take a sag wagon if you feel like you may be riding into an injury or illness. That's why they have the sag wagons. The point is to enjoy the day and the ride. If it stops being enjoyable, time to sag in IMO. I had to learn this the hard way, and advise that you don't learn it that way.
SactoBob

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 am

Chile you may be on to something there, :lol: , but I apologize for not being clear. That is the name of the event. I will do what ever I feel I can that day. I have ridden the 45 miles, in a nor'easter, without much preparation (I'm not saying that's good). I may just do something between 20 and 60 miles. I'm sorry I didn't clarify what I'm doing. But I did previous Seagull "century" rides in the past with at least 40-50 more pounds too.

Thank you for the feed back and things to think about...wow can you tell I need a lot of that? :oops: I do want to condition my muscles enough, with at least walking, so I can do as much as I safely and comfortably can do. Tips appreciated!
StarchBeet

Postby Hamster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 am

Its hard to ride alone where I live because my bike lends itself to being desired and I'm not going to temp anyone.

Only a thought but nice steel-framed bikes pop up on eBay fairly regularly and usually sell pretty cheap. If you get one with Reynolds tubing it will give a lovely ride and not be particularly 'desired'. A little imagination, some spray paint and a few stickers will make it look very undesirable.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby Chile » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 am

Ah, so you ride as far as you can, comfortably, and you're not "stuck" doing the whole 100 miles? Sounds much more reasonable. Sactobob's advice is good. I've overtrained twice and believe me, it's not something you want to experience. (It's one reason I've been easing into my overall exercise program so gradually.)
Chile

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 am

Hamster, I hear ya. The great thing about the Marin was it was not only inexpensive it was a joy to ride, it was light, and it was grey and looked very understated.

I like my good bikes having been through the entire bicycle gamut. I saw a titanium Sun recumbent which is the highest quality bike in that line and it makes me hate mine. The guy got his top-of-the-line, light recumbent for half of what I paid for my heavy, less quality bike. :crybaby: . My other bike is a lock-out-shock gary fisher y bike, with continental tires. Its light, fun and it takes me back to the days when I was healthy enough to do off-road biking and jump trees and the like. I've had two back operations since then so I won't be jumping too many trees anymore. I have used up my allotment for bikes, unless I can sell one of mine first.

Yes Chile I plan on doing what I can, to take care of myself before, during and after and hopefully enjoy. I know every time I do this ride I have a dopamine high for close to two weeks. Too bad I can't be more disciplined and do it daily to get that same uplift. I will have to take a few meals, salads, fruits etc so i can eat before and after the ride.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:01 pm

I've worked on organizing and listing what other bike things I have to do. I have three people I'm organizing and preparing for now. I was going to do this by myself but it looks like the family is coming so that means I have to take care of my daughter and she'll be pulled in her trailer. Well it becomes much more challenging but I'll just go slower.

I do want to get some rest, have food, have the bikes and equipment ready, get an early start on the ride and hope for NO BAD WEATHER. I've done this twice with a Nor'easter and that's rough stuff.

I've ridden every morning, got my shoes adjusted and I have a list of the adjustments I need on the bike. That's one bike list made, a trailer and another bike list on the way. I have to find the proper helmet too. I wore my sons and that will not do. I have clothes ready for the range of weather. I need to make some plans for food to take for three days for me. I'll get the bike done this week and hopefully it will be all green lights this week. I hope my old neglected muscles are ready for this challenge, but we'll see!!
StarchBeet

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning