Nomikins On the Path

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins On the Path

Postby MmmCarbs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 am

Hi nomikins,
Stopped in after seeing your posts in the excursion thread. I'm glad today went better for you food-wise. Don't sweat one restaurant meal! The fact that it didn't even taste so good as it used to tells how far you've come already. Your body recognizes good food now. Hang in there!
MmmCarbs

Postby nomikins » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks, mmmCarbs, I appreciate the good words. Just gonna keep on truckin'.

It's so beautiful out today! Gonna hit the mid 70s. A perfect day for a lunchtime walk up to Duke East campus. I want to stay perky today; we have been purging lots of stuff from the house. It's amazing how many things we accumulate. My house is a mess. Fortunately, my cleaners aren't coming this week, since their day is Thursday, and they wanted to not work on Thanksgiving (the nerve, lol). DH and I want to get the place back to normalcy and enjoy our day off together on Thursday. I just want to get the clutter beat down. I hate clutter. BLAH!

My food is planned for the day, and I'm feeling good. Now, to hold this energetic feeling to get through an hour or two of productivity when I get home!
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am

Sounds like you're right back on track! Great job turning things around. I think when we're in this for the long haul we're going to have days like that...the difference now is that we won't let them derail us! You've got the right attitude, and that will carry you far!

Sounds like you've been having quite the work-days around the house...good ole hard work does a body good! Love it! Glad to hear you're having a better day today! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Stop the presses! I took a four mile walk at lunch time. Finally.
nomikins

Postby Spiral » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:51 pm

nomikins wrote:Stop the presses! I took a four mile walk at lunch time. Finally.

Awesome. You must be training for your 19th half marathon. :D
Spiral

Postby nomikins » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 am

I just signed up for a marathon this morning. Number 3, will be on March 18, 2012. I think I'm going to get a no meat athlete tshirt to run in. Yeah, I think I will.

Been a rough week. I'm on prednisone until next Wednesday due to a terrible case of poison ivy. The scale is UP because of it, so I'm not even weighing in for a while. I have terrible insomnia from the meds and I feel like crap. Just going to get back on the McD/plant strong wagon and do the best I can until this passes.

Hope y'all had a nice holiday.
nomikins

Postby fulenn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 am

Other than the poison ivy, it sounds like things have been going really well for you. You have long-term vision now, rather than just 1 meal at a time. :)

I just read your suggestion about the tumeric and just drank my shot of it. I'll let you know what effect it has on me.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby nomikins » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 am

Still feeling nasty from the prednisone. Staying mostly on plan, just not a lot to say right now. Rash is starting to clear up, but it is not comfortable, to say the least. Prednisone also just puts me in a FOUL mood, so best to be quiet for a bit (just ask my poor DH, lol).

I get the worst poison ivy reactions AFTER the first killing frost and it warms up. I'm outside doing yardwork in short sleeves, getting the urishol spread all over my arms. Good times. :crybaby:

Got in a six miler this past Saturday. Planning on 8 for this coming weekend.
nomikins

Postby Anna Green » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 am

Nomikins, poison ivy? You have my condolences! Sounds miserable.

So the marathon....will you run it, walk it, both?

6 miles, yeah!!!
Anna Green

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:16 am

Hi Anna, thanks for the shout out. I took the last prednisone today, GRACIAS A DIO! That stuff is so damn nasty and I hate the side effects. The worst is how it causes me terrible insomnia. Looking forward to normalcy again.

My McDougall compliance is at about 80% right now. Working to get that back up. No misery or regrets; a choice is a choice and the consequences go with said choices.

Namaste and have a good day, kiddos.
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:50 am

Oh, Anna, run/walk for sure.

My last half, I did a 3:1 run/walk ratio. It felt great the whole time. I may do 4:1 or possibly 5:1 for the marathon, if I can get that built up again. We shall see.
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 am

Hope you're feeling back to yourself very soon! Glad you're being patient with yourself as you heal!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:42 am

Being lazy and cross posting from the MWL board:

Exposure to poison ivy roots a few weeks ago caused a systemic reaction. I'm so allergic that I get physically sick. My body totally freaks out and goes into major attack mode. So, I had to get on prednisone. Just took the last pill yesterday. The blotchiness is mostly fading, just a few rashy areas left on my arms and sides of torso (I was wearing old jeans that were too big and kept pulling them up. So I got a major rash on my midsection in addition to the "sleeves" of rash on both arms. Good Times). My weight is all over the place from the prednisone. Not stressing over it.

I also bought a new scale, and that number is way off from the old scale. I'm just going to go by the new scale, and that will be my official weight. Done. It's showing a number higher than the old scale (like 8 pounds difference with both set to zero). Again, I can't stress about it. My clothes fit. That's what I care about.

Goals for December: lose 8 pounds. I have some parties to go this month. Exercise daily. Already got my kettlebell swings in and will walk daily at work, and get my runs in as I train for my next marathon. Eat good whole foods. Stress even less.
nomikins

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey Nomi,

Glad that you are on the mend.

I hate getting a new scale. I have had this one, digital, for about 5 yrs I think. Got it at Target. My last one was super old.

I am going to try for 10 lbs during Christmas but I dont know. We'll see. If the weather is good or at least not snowing, I will probably go to Debbie's for Christmas. Then we will all have McDougall legal food & it will be a breeze.

I am a little nervous about weighing in on Sat, since I had offplan lunches on last Sun. & Mon. but not that bad. It just seems to take a week or so to get it out of my system & lose the lbs. that I may have gained. We'll see.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby nomikins » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:57 am

Howdy, I think I'm on the mend, finally! Weight is dropping from new scale start point (new scale official start number was 186.7). We are down to our last eight or so sweet potatoes from the 25# box dh picked up for me last month. Time for some more!

I felt so terrible yesterday, that I had to leave work and go home and sleep. I slept almost three hours (UNHEARD OF). I got up, fixed dinner, and was back in bed with lights out by 9PM. Got up at 6:30. Finally feeling like the old Nomikins.

Already got a nice bowl of steel cut oats and cherries in the belly, with lots more McDougally delicious meals already planned and mostly prepped.

Have a great day!
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals