Nomikins On the Path

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins On the Path

Postby toadfood » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 am

I'm glad you're feeling better! Have a great day.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby RAS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 am

Happy Birthday Nomikins.Have a great day,& fantastic year. RAS
RAS

Postby Rosey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Happy Birthday!!! Have a fabulous day!!!!
Rosey

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi nomikins Happy Belated Birthday!
Hope you had tons of Fun!!!
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby nomikins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:59 am

Hey folks! I haven't had the urge to journal lately. Tons going on in getting ready to move across the country.

Giving some thought to calorie density, CR, and such, I had an aha/DUH moment. I realized that my weight loss/gain cycles are directly correlated to the above. Weight gain: no brainer. Too much in, not enough expended/high fat/too much alcohol. Weight loss: EFFORTLESS and fast with low calorie density foods. CR goes with that naturally. HELLO! DUH!

Instead of swinging the pendulum so far in either direction anymore, I'm seeking a balance and fine tuning where it will rest for long term sustainability. It's an experiment in me.

My goal is to spend most of the time on the low calorie density side, with a slight swing (not drastic) ever so slightly toward the other (bread, pasta, higher density) here and there. I think that is sustainable for me and my DH. It keeps us both engaged. It's working, as I am within 3-5 pounds of my recent lowest weight.

I'm doing crossfit workouts three days a week and am walking/running again. I feel terrific! Also, I did do a fast on Thursday until dinner time and ate a normal MWL meal. I may get back into intermittent fasting. It really wasn't an effort.

I'll report back....
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Nomikins,
It's great to see you posting again! I miss your input around here. Wow! Moving across the country! That's quite a change! Good luck to you and dh. I hope the move goes smoothly and that you enjoy the new location in every way!

I love your approach to a sustainable lifestyle. I've been pushing for faster weight loss lately, just because I want to be DONE with this, and a quicker pace keeps me motivated. But, I've been thinking a lot about what to do when I reach my goal weight, and a similar approach to what you're doing seems to be what my mind is gravitating to. I'm very interested to see how your "experiment" works for you, and look forward to your reports!

Congrats on the renewed focus and motivation and your "ahha" moment! And, again, good luck with the move! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Birdy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Nomikins you're doing great! I'm curious where across country you're moving to. Having done that three times, I know it's a big change!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby nomikins » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Birdy, we are moving to southeastern Arizona. I've always wanted to live in AZ, and my DH fell in love with the area as well. After 20 years together, we are finally in the position to make the move! Can't wait!
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 am

Hey Nomi,
How are things going? How is the move going? Just thinkin' about you and hope you're doing well! :)

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Kirsty, thanks for stopping by. The move process is progressing on schedule. Not much more to pack, and the actual move date is May 9.

I'm not being as diligent in my meal planning/eating right now. I'll get back to it.

We are about to say goodbye to our 15 year old dog, Maggie. Goodbye as in euthanize. I'm so sad and heartbroken. She is sick and weak. She almost died when DH and I were out of town last week. A course of steroids helped to keep her going and moderately functional. Now that the meds are done, she's declining more and more, losing bladder/bowel control in the house, and now is also vomiting up food (that was a first today). She can barely walk and staggers around. Can't support herself standing for very long. Our poor dog has been in decline for the past year. But, only a few weeks ago, I took her to the vet and she was doing reasonably well, and had a good quality of life for her age and was fairly healthy. DH and I had EVERY intention of moving her to AZ with us. With the sudden downturn and further decline, there is no confidence (from us or the vet) she'll survive the trip. She is lethargic and sleeps most of the time. She pants pretty hard, so I know there is pain now. I do have tramadol for her and it seems to help. I just wish she would pass in her sleep. I've been crying for two days and waiting for the Sign or the Right Time to KNOW it's time. I HATE the thought that I am facilitating killing my companion. My sweet Sugar Magnolia.
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 pm

OH, Nomi, I am so, so sorry! ((((((((HUGS)))))))))
What a terrible thing to have to go through. I can just hear the sorrow in your voice. My in-laws experienced the same thing with my dh childhood dog. They just couldn't bring themselves to put her down, and as a result just prolonged her suffering way longer than they wish they had. It's such a horrible thing to have to decide. I'm so sorry.

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Well, my sweet Maggie is gone. She was suffering and dying before my eyes. DH and I finally made the right decision and enabled her passage to release from her pain and suffering. 15 years is a good long life for a dog. But, for me, it feels like 15 minutes. I can't see to type with all the tears.

I am so devastated and don't have anything else to say right now. I'll be back when I get myself centered.
nomikins

Postby RAS » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Oh Nomikins ((((Hugs)))) I am so sorry for your loss.RAS
RAS

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals