Are you still a diabetic if you're diabetes is reversed?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are you still a diabetic if you're diabetes is reversed?

Postby victw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:03 am

Hi all,

I've read some of the type II diabetes threads with interest - I am fortunate to not have this problem.

It seems that some folks here have lowered their weight. And reversed all the symptoms of diabetes.

Dr. Barnard's book actually says "reversing diabetes."

I guess I'm wondering what it means to say the diabetes is reversed?

And if reversed - why would someone still call/not call themselves a diabetic.

I'm referring only to type II.

Maybe my perspective is too simplistic???

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Re: Are you still a diabetic if you're diabetes is reversed?

Postby Hamster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi victw,

There was a time when I was taking 850 mg of diabex twice a day. At the time I was diagnosed (approx 12 years ago) I had all the classic symptoms, thirst, frequent urination, weakness etc.

The medication kept the really nasty effects of my type 2 diabetes at bay but didn't cure me. Currently I'm off all diabetic medication and have been for around 2 years. This was achieved by weight loss, mainly through eliminating fats and eating lots of plant based foods. The other thing was steadily increasing my level of activity.

Is this a cure of not depends upon what you mean by a 'cure'. I believe that everybody is a potential diabetic. To turn them into a diabetic all you have to do is to put them onto a high-fat diet and eliminate most activity i.e. the typical western lifestyle. On the other hand to 'cure' type 2 diabetes the diet needs to become healthy and the activity level increased.

There is a strong link between obesity and type 2 diabetes. High levels of body fat combined with an inactive lifestyle are (IMO) are the root causes of insulin resistance.

The Australian Aboriginal peoples prior to the arrival of Europeans had virtually a zero incidence of type 2 diabetes but now have an incidence among the highest in the world. The reason obviously is the change in their lifestyle.

Only my opinion, based on a sample of one, but the 'cure' for type 2 diabetes involves eliminating fats from the diet, eating lots of low-calorie vegetables and becoming increasingly more and more active.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning