Vegan on the RUN- Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegan on the RUN- Journal

Postby veganontherun » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:29 am

I have decided to buckle down and participate in the September Challenge. I am a marathon runner and need to lose 5 pounds in the next month to be at my optimal racing weight. I also want to lower my cholesterol to under 150 max.

My guidelines:
I am allowing tea and ground flax, chia and raw sunflower seeds in my breakfast as added fats since I am so active. NO sugar, NO flour products, NO eating out, NO fake sugar, NO coffee, NO vegan milk subs, NO lara bars, NO avocado or nuts, and NO oil. I am also limiting my fruit to 1 a day max.

STATS:
Age- 22
Height- 5'4.5
Weight- 114
Cholesterol- 168

Sept 1 food:
Breakfast- 1 cup Quaker old fashioned oats, 1 T ground flax, 1 T chia, 1 T raw sunflower seeds
Snack- 13 cherries, 10 baby carrots
Lunch- 1 japanese sweet potato, romaine lettuce salad with 1 whole red pepper and a little salsa
Snack- 1 cup Quaker oats
Dinner- 1 japanese sweet potato, 3 cups of steamed green beans, 1 cup raw snow peas

Exercise:
off day- 2 mile run to stay loose
veganontherun

Re: Vegan on the RUN- Journal

Postby veganontherun » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Day 2
B- 1 c Quaker oats, 1 T chia, 1 T flax, 1 T sunflower seeds
s- 14 cherries
l- 1 baked potato, small, romaine lettuce, a little salsa, 1 bell pepper
S- 1 c Quaker oats, 10 baby carrots
d- 1/2 butternut squash, 1/2 onion, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/2 bell pepper sauteed with veggie juice and garlic. YUMMMM.

So very similar to yesterday, however, for me it's best to keep it simple. I need to eat more deep green veggies....

Feeling SO tired and worn out from tough workouts earlier this week so I decided to go easy, 20 minutes strength training and a 2 mile run. Ugh. I need rest!

TGIF.
veganontherun

Postby Chile » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Rest and recovery's just as important as the workouts!

I was thinking the same thing today about deep green veggies. We'll have to see where we can squeeze some in over the weekend.
Chile

Postby simoncat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi VOR! Looks like you are really doing well. Make sure you take a multivitamin with iron if you drink black tea, as the tannins in it rob you of iron (at least that is what I found). You might want to switch to green tea or some herbal tea.

Don't be afraid of fruit; it has so many vitamins and a lot of fiber. It also has something called prebiotics which are really good for your digestion. I find it gives me a lot of energy and is not fattening like some seem to believe. I think Ruth Heidrich eats a lot of fruit and she's an "Iron Woman" triathlete.

I am a runner too, but the farthest I do now is 6 miles. I love it though. Keep at it!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Debbie, I was just trying to let her know that the tannins in the tea will rob her of iron; she doesn't have to take a pill if she doesn't want to, but since she said she was tired, well, I just thought that might be one solution or that she could change the type of tea she was drinking.

Not everyone here follows Dr. M totally. I find I have to take a multi even though Dr. M isn't really for it. As a celiac I don't absorb vitamins from my food that well, and I feel much better when I take one.
[/url]
simoncat

Postby veganontherun » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks for your replies! Yeah I know that a multi is not in line with McDougall, however I do take one because I have a history of anemia and I don't get a period at the moment. (not since January- I'm not preggo lol) So I'm waiting to get into the doctor as well.

I drink green tea because I love it, though I know it's not the best.

I limit fruit because its so easy for me to overeat it and I get hungry literally right after eating it! haha.

Goal for today is to eat more leafy greens!
veganontherun

Postby lfwfv » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:48 am

veganontherun wrote:Yeah I know that a multi is not in line with McDougall, however I do take one because I have a history of anemia and I don't get a period at the moment. (not since January- I'm not preggo lol) So I'm waiting to get into the doctor as well.

I am currently recovering from hypothalamic amenorrhea. My lowest BMI was 17.5, but even when i gained to a BMI of 19.5, i wasn't getting my period. I am finally starting to see my cycles resume at a BMI of 20.6. I have also had to cut out running and am only walking for exercise right now. With your low BMI, intense training, and low calorie eating plan, you might also find you have HA.

As a side note, all my blood tests came back low-normal and the doctor told me weight gain, reduced exercise, and diet change wouldn't make a difference. They wanted me on birth control pills or on fertility drugs. I emailed Dr. McDougall instead and he recommended weight gain, and exercise reduction until my periods returned. I took his advice and I'm starting to see the condition reverse itself (had my first period this month).

Anyway, i realize you said you do this to be competitive, but i would be careful with ignoring amenorrhea. It leads to bone loss and infertility, and also messes with mood and energy levels. It is a sign your body is under too much stress.
lfwfv

Postby simoncat » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Debbie. wrote:
simoncat wrote:Not everyone here follows Dr. M totally.

And I of course completely understand this.

However, the point is and Jeff and Dr. McDougall have written plenty on this, general supplementation can be dangerous and cause imbalances with other nutrients.

I was just cautioning others who thought about just random, general supp'ing that it can be dangerous. Obviously if you take supps you have a documented need and that is fine for you and the OP. But for the rest of us who dont have a documented need, that recommendation can be dangerous.

Like vit A. for instance. Our diet provides way more than the RDA, but if you add a supp with much more than the RDA, is it possible with the supp addition it could become toxic?? Yes. The same goes with folic acid, where there have been studies that show because almost everything is fortified it may be another souce of causing cancer.

That was my point. Sorry to have highjacked this thread.

Yep, you are right Debbie. I just was worried about anemia for her because I know it happens to runners. I am glad someone else said something to her. I really don't want anyone to take vitamins if they don't have to. I wish I didn't have to, but if I don't I get cold sores and get tired easily. :-( I take the New Chapter variety which I think are less synthetic than most, but pretty pricey).

Vegan On The Run, I hope you will listen to ifwfv and be careful. Strive to be healthy, but don't hurt yourself! :nod:
[/url]
simoncat

Postby veganontherun » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:41 am

Thanks for the advice.

Haven't had time to do a full day post but I've stuck to the plan.
Yesterday:
Weight- 111.4
B- 1 c oats 1 T chia 1 T ground flax and 1 c of strawberries
S- 1 pepper, a lot of baby carrots
L- Salad with spinach and salsa, sweet potato
S- 1.5 c of sugar snap peas, raw
D- 2 c oats (odd. lol)
S- 1 bad of steam fresh green beans!

Got a lot more veg in lately! Go me!

Workouts:
Sunday- 8 mile trail run
Monday- 1.5 hour mountain bike ride (trails)
Tuesday- Easy 3 mile bike ride (road), HIIT with intervals of high intensity strength moves and 3 miles of running (total)- 45 minutes and Abs
Wend- 30 min elliptical (easy) taught 45 minute strength and conditioning class (weights)

Feeling really good. I'm trying to set up an apt. about the lack of periods and to get blood work done.
veganontherun

Postby veganontherun » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 pm

I've still been 100% compliant to MWL. (with my accepted flax... chia... and occasionaly 1 T max of raw sunflower seeds on my morning oats) I've been having some GREAT workouts, great runs, great HIIT training, great strength training.

My weight has been hovering at 113. Fluctuating between 111-114 depending on the day...

I know why I'm not losing though. I am eating great throughout the day. loads of veggies, 2 fruits max, starch at every meal- mostly sweet potatoes and butternut squash, sometimes potatoes and oatmeal at breakfast.

But then around 7 pm I am invariably starving and wolf down 2-3 cups (measured dry) or Quaker oats. I feel like I need to just buckle down and grit my teeth through it.

It's a common thought that hunger is this terrible scary awful thing. It's not. Starvation- that is a terrible tragedy. Hunger is normal and healthy. Hunger is NOT going to kill me. It is a sign of health (when your ill you don't feel hungry)

Thats my rant. Tomorrow is a new day, time to break this habit and finally lose these last 4-5 pounds!! Race is in less than 2 month and I DON'T want to lose at all the last month as it will hurt my performance.
veganontherun

Postby lfwfv » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 am

Sorry, i can't let this go. You say that you just have to have more willpower to not eat when you're very hungry. I think this is foolish and dangerous. Your body is at a lean and healthy weight and it will fight tooth and nail to get the calories it needs to continue functioning normally.

Defining undereating as 'doing good' is eating disordered thinking. I know because I've also fought the part of me that just seemed to need to eat more than my mind wanted to. That part of me that seemed to need to eat more was my physical hunger. Hunger is powerful, and it's a survival mechanism. If we are eating whole, low fat plant foods, we do not need to fear it. It will not make us fat, it will, however, fight to prevent emaciation.

When i am underweight, my hunger feels insatiable. As soon as my body reaches a 'safe' weight, my hunger is completely manageable and 'average'. Considering the amount you are exercising, you are not getting nearly enough calories on a daily basis to ensure your body feels safe and comfortable.

You can certainly use willpower to deny your hunger and to force your body to lose weight...been there, done that. But I would warn you that McDougall always talks about the innate wisdom of the hunger drive and the foolishness of trying to deny it. If you are eating healthy, whole, low fat foods, you do yourself no favors by not eating when you're hungry. This just smacks of disordered thinking in my book, and i can't read this and not post these concerns.

I really do wish you all the best,
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby veganontherun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks, I think you are dead on.... it's hard for me to accept this. I am eating so much, but I am an athlete and my caloric needs are above that of the "normal" female. This is just driving me crazy as all my PR times in races were at my lower weight of 108-109, when I was restricting my calories (eating veg but not vegan, including eggs and greek yogurt and very few grains). I'm so afraid of getting back to my highest weight of 128. I guess I can live with this weight range of 111-114. I just don't want to gorge on oatmeal, it isn't very comfortable for me insides. haha.

I have had an eating disorder in the past- lowest weight of 98, and I was doing the high protein/low carb/low calorie crap, then huge crazy junk food binges and felt like crap. I never want to go back to that. It's just all this eating seems crazy and makes me feel like a huge pig. I do count calories, always have. Today I did 3000 all MWL, not even the raw sunflower seeds. It seems like way too much. I'm scared of going back to binge eating. Though, this is different. This is not pints of ice cream and whole pizzas. It is whole foods and nourishment. I need to remind myself of that.
veganontherun

Postby Chile » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 pm

You are now ingesting pure nutrition, not junk. Nutrition which will fuel your running and keep your body healthy. Eat, run, be happy. The rest will take care of itself. :)
Chile

Postby veganontherun » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:16 am

I scheduled a doctors apt finally! I'm excited to get blood work done and see the results of about 3 months of McDougall. (The first 2 were the standard version, and this past month has been MWL)

My weight has stayed at 113 ish give or take. I still want to be lower but just haven't pushed knowing it will be a huge struggle and I don't want to hurt my body... My BMI is currently 19.2 which I don't even think is that thin.

Running is going so well. Had a great 16 mile trail run a few days ago and kicked my fiance's butt! I just felt so good and energized!

My fiance is not very supportive of this eating style. I made him dinner- stuffed pepper recipe from here, sides of butternut squash and a balsalmic grilled romaine salad. For dessert- baked apples stuffed with no sugar added apple butter, a few raisins, a spoonful of oats and a little no sugar added apple sauce. I thought it was delish. And beautifully presented!

He liked everything, but he kept saying "It's missing something" "I think I need cheese/sour cream" Of course I didn't have any so he was out of luck. But there are more recipes I should try. Thinking now- it was probably too light for him, he's such an amazing ultra marathon runner and active, it needed more grains/beans or something hearty. (No grains at all in my meal only beans and corn in the peppers)

So we will try again... there has got to be a McDougall Recipe he will like... and if not, I will give him non McDougall options (like make burritos and he can add meat/cheese, or homemade pizzas or make a main for me but cook some meat for him). McDougall is not my religion and I'm not willing to make this a huge point of conflict.... However- if you have any suggestions... do tell!
veganontherun

Postby lfwfv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:29 am

Hi!

I do have suggestions for feeding calorie-burning males. My husband is a McDougaller and is also 6'3" and 185lbs. We've been doing this for over 2 years now.

My experience:

1) Guys need lots of starches and beans to feel satisfied. I feed my husband:
-rice and beans (with lots of spices, onions and garlic)
-pineapple bake (includes beans, tomato paste, peppers, pineapple, served over rice)
-fresh baked, oil free bread
-black beans chili
-red lentil soup
-steamed veggies on the side (not part of the main course as they are for me)
-garlic mashed potatoes
-roasted potatoes

2) A lot of guys need bread, a few nuts etc. each day to feel satisfied. My husbands eats a bit of bread most days, an ounce or two of nuts every day, and a bit of dried fruit.

Good luck!
lfwfv

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning