Bunso Goes MWL

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Bunso Goes MWL

Postby f1jim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:25 pm

There are lot's of books and recipe sites filled with great, tasty recipes. A little digging will find them in most every recipe book we own. There is no need to eat SAD treats. It does require some research and planning but it's so well worth the trouble. Don't give up and give in. You will only set yourself up for disappointment by doing that. You have to stop the cycle of eating the junk. If not you will be saying the same thing next year. Salvage what you can for the rest of the holidays and turn the situation around. You can do this.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Birdy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Buns, I hear ya. You wrote, "so anyway, I haven't eaten EVERY treat that has been available, but I've definitely eaten much more richly the past week or so, and I can feel it in my body." I'm in the same boat and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other McDougallers are too. Mary McDougall has some great higher fat recipes for special holiday treats and Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's cookbooks are all full of wonderful recipes if you want to make something special. Most libraries carry her books.

Hang in there! Happy Holidays :)
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks Jim *sniff* *dab* It's been a rough season and i've felt bad physically and emotionally 90% of the time. A lot of it, I'm sure, comes with eating so richly, and yet I keep tasting and nibbling, even though I know what I do know. Addiction. I'm going to tackle it from that angle. I have a feeling that's the next step in my growth: coming to grips with my emotional relationship with food. Just knowing isn't enough. someone addicted to cigarettes knows how bad they are, yet they continue smoking. Addiction will do that, eh?

well, anyway. i still feel pretty miserable but hopefully that will turn around. It's more than just food...where I live, in the Wasatch Front, has the worst air in the nation most winters, because of temperature inversion...and this winter has been bad so far. Except for the past two days, all of December was socked in with dense smog everywhere. I didn't see the sun for weeks; my whole body has been aching; finances pretty much sucked; and "the Holiday Season" was all around me trying to force merry and festive upon me which made me cranky AND I've been eating much richer than usual since at least the 19th...yeah, it all combines for a melee of misery. And my physical exhaustion is a big reason why i haven't had McDougall treats to eat and share: I've been simply too exhausted to do it. And the exhaustion is not all food related. I got cellulitis three times, eating 95% on plan this year. ...

Something that I do know: Everything is Temporary. this is, too.

I plan on eating sanely for Christmas dinner, and will NOT indulge in the week between Christmas and New Years but no guarantees at the family party which is the 30th. I mean, I'd LOVE to be able to say that I'm not putting SAD stuff in my mouth, but i know my own history. we'll see. I may find a few recipes to make and bring to the family party...i know they're out there. I just don't know if i'll have the energy to do it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby janluvs2heel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Merry Christmas Heidi.

Editing because I didn't know it was your birthday today. Happy Birthday!!! :cool: :cool: Hope you have a wonderful day.
Last edited by janluvs2heel on Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby RAS » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!RAS
RAS

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:53 pm

well, I had good intentions but starting about the 19th, I began indulging daily. There was a big deal for my son's graduation. There were two parties at work one for clients, one for staff, two days in a row of rich foods, second servings...

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were full of treats. I literally ate all day long on the 25th. :duh:

I can honestly say that I didn't go haywire until the 19th, although I was having peanut butter and pickle samwiches every day after work starting before the 19th. As for holiday treats, I really didn't start being freaky until the 19th, and then I just went nutsoid. Between peanut butter and pickles, and five "feast days" (good GRIEF)...yeah, not too great, and I can feel it. My jeans are tighter, my belly fat is more dense, my upper arm "wings" are thicker. blech.

What's done is done. I am doing real well today, and plan on going forward the same.

I also wanted to note an observation. I got advice from a co-worker who is obese. "You should allow yourself a small treat every day, because forcing yourself not to have them will just set you up for a huge freak out munchy session when you do finally break down" This gal is overweight and rather ill.

From a normal weight friend, when offered a treat on Saturday: "Nah, I've had a treat already today. I don't want to overdo."

Hm.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Today when I sat down to lunch, I remembered a comment about eating slow, somewhere around here, and decided that, instead of snarfing my food as fast as possible, I would chew every bite at least 30 times...I ate about 2/3 of what I packed (stir fry over rice) :)

And here it is, three hours or so later, when I normally start feeling "appetite" I'm not feeling hungry at all. Hm. This may be the key to my getting back on the downhill side of this whole journey.

Mmm wanted to mention the col-canon I made yesterday, out of white potato, sweet potato and chard. I saute'd the chard w/garlic, boiled the taters together, then smashed em and put in about a TBSP of good grainy mustard. It made a good dinner last night, and brekkie this morning. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals