Bunso Goes MWL

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Bunso Goes MWL

Postby carollynne » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:45 pm

HI Buns, I love your ideas about visualization and shopping for clothes. You are doing so good, it will happen. Slow but sure, I agree, is far better than quick one.
Just stopping by too, to say hello and give you HUGS!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:00 pm

I think I need to get away from popcorn. It does help with the temptations for high fat salty crispy stuff, but I think it is inflammatory.

I've had an ache in my shoulder and thinking about it, I wonder if it started acting up in mid-September when I started using popcorn as my go-to for avoiding the high fat stuff. Anyway, it's bothering me more nowadays and last night I had some pain in my knee and I woke up feeling achey and very tired, that whole "run-over-by-a-Mack-truck" feeling. :(

which is also what happens a week or so before a bout with cellulitis, the very thought of which is sort of depressing me and scaring me.

anyway, I think having popcorn frequently could be contributing to my shoulder aching and possibly other aches. So I'm going to ditch it for awhile and see if the shoulder pain clears up.

TODAY'S PLAN:

B: three sisters soup; piece of bread
L: skipping lunch...I ate breakfast late
D: mmmm, stir fry w/Thai noodle sauce over rice

Also planned on thoroughly cleaning my house, because I want it to be sparkling, sweet clean for Christmas...but not much energy for it today. poop.

I'm craving grapes. :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Okay, now that I think about it, the mack-truck-accident feeling I had yesterday could have been at least partially caused by the deep tissue massage I got on Thanksgiving. My son is studying massage therapy, and likes to get as much practice as possible, so he gives free massages and I got one on Thanksgiving. He "dug deep" and I'm pretty sure it exacerbated things a bit. HOWEVER, that said I'm still not going to munch popcorn for a few weeks. See if the pain in my shoulder does go away.;

I also had prayer on Saturday at my church (picking up dishes, and some friends were there, and they prayed for me)...well, anyway. I felt like you-know-what yesterday, but today I feel much better, even though i got less sleep than on Friday night.

TODAY'S PLAN:

B: Three sisters soup; apple
L: Three sisters soup; a l.o. dinner roll (white bread )
D: Moroccan sweet potato stew
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 am

thank goodness there was no junk food in the house last night, or I'd have gone off track completely. As it was, I ate a white bread roll. And on Saturday I ate a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter.

Going and buying grapes saved my tush for sweets craving. Otherwise, I would have "needed" peanut butter toast w/honey. Instead, I ate grapes and an extra bowl of rice after dinner.

That said, I must say I'm losing my mental focus on this. If munchies were at hand, I don't think I would resist them. It prolly isn't PMS because that comes after the first of the month. I got my period this month on the 11th, so I can't blame PMS...just habit. And breaking a habit is going to take some effort. I love it when my mind is 100% in the game, but when it isn't, I can't let that determine my eating. If I "feel like" pooh butter and carrots, that doesn't mean I have to have it. The carrots, okay. The pooh butter? not so much.

does this mean that I"m going to cruise through this bout of the Evil Twisted Munchies from Hell without succumbing at all? I don't know. All I can do is say "Right now, I'm not going to eat off plan treats" and when a treat is offered, I can say "I don't need to eat that RIGHT NOW. It'll be there in an hour. Then I will decide" It shouldn't be too hard at work, but once I get home, I better nuke some taters and busy myself...I want to deep clean my house as part of my Advent preparations, so that should keep my occupied for a few days. The spiders decorated EVERYWHERE for Halloween :lol: and I have to take a broom to many corners to get rid of cobwebs.

*visualizing self tackling the kitchen this afternoon* *visualizing kitchen sparkling, clean, and sweet smelling*

TODAY'S PLAN:
B: cheezy steel cut oats w/kale
L: same
D: ratatouille (I am so smart! The last time I made ratatouille, I froze half of it and today I took that out of the freezer, so it'll be ready to heat up and eat by dinner time :D)
S: grapes? rice? carrots WITHOUT pooh butter?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am

You hang in there, Heidi!!!! You can do this. I like your visualization, and telling yourself that you don't need that "right now!...great strategy! Why don't you spend some time reading the Star McDougallers and/or watching some lectures on the vsh website http://vsh.org/videos.htm
...maybe can listen to these while you clean??? Might help you get your head back in the game! Just a thought...Good luck resisting! I'm rooting for you! You go girl!!! :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby nomikins » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 am

How much fiber are you eating? I just got that insight (even if it's obvious, but I needed the reminder) from FINALLY watching Forks Over Knives on Friday night. They talked about how fiber is what really satisfies us and makes the satiety switch flip in our brains.

I had a feeling of still wanting to eat after dinner last night. We have leftover spaghetti from Thanksgiving in the fridge, and I was going to eat some after I cleaned up the dinner mess. But, that has little fiber (not whole grain pasta). Instead, I had a little serving of freshly cooked pinto beans that I had going in the crockpot all day (for lunches this week). Guess what, that did the trick!

Just a thought as you work through this.

Did you read/reread Women Food and God yet?
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Kirsty and Nomikins

If I had the internet at my house, I would have that stuff on all the time :lol: as it is, I'm probably gonna put on the 1812 Overture by Tchaikowsky. It is my go-to music for energizing and moving. Maybe some Sousa! :lol:

But I want my house to be sparkling clean and perfectly tidy for Christmas, and my kitchen will be first. I LOVE a clean kitchen. Oooh, the fridge though. :eek:

as for fiber, I'm getting a lot of fiber. Whole grains, beans, and veggies every day. I think it really is a combination of hormonal plus a lifelong habit of just munching whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to.

So, some of it is effortless with McDougalling and some of it is going to take self-control. *sigh*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby nomikins » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Just munching whatever and whenever - this was me for years.

Reading Women Food and God opened my eyes that I was using food to "fill" something that was empty in me. What is empty in you that you are mistaking as hunger/cravings for food? This was a huge epiphany for me in reading this book.

This may not apply to you at all, but it really did for me. As always, wishing you the best.
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:14 pm

I will try and get that book at the library. The premise reminds me of "Weigh Down" which was a mindful eating program that centered our "need" for foods back to what our REAL need is: God.

Speaking of books at the library:
Super Immunity is in! woot! woot! ...it's a new book so it'll only be a week but I'll read fast :D

Really, really wanting popcorn tonight. I'll have to decide, I guess. The joint aches haven't cleared up from foregoing popcorn this past few days but it's only been since Saturday. But I still want some. Maybe I'll have to buy some more grapes.

TODAY'S FOOD:
B: punkin pie oatmeal
L: ratatouille over rice
S: two bites of punkin pie
D: I dunno. If I have popcorn, it will be all I have tonight. I'm super tired so I won't be cooking.

I have half a buttercup squash, very tasty. Rice in the fridge. Potatoes in the pantry. Hm, I have stir fry vegs. maybe that.

ugh.

But, this must be said: I don't want candy or other sweets. Not craving that, but grapes are calling my name. Hm.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:36 pm

woot! Got Super Immunity! An easy read so far, though I haven't had time in a quiet place to really settle in and focus on it.

Not Woot: I had a bite of a treat with dairy in it today, and I am SUFFERING now. Seriously, it was a corner of a punkin roll which included maybe a TBSP of cream cheese filling. I even said to myself "You don't need this RIGHT NOW" and then I said back "But I'm gonna have some" One bite. :\

A half hour later, I have a gut ache. Ugh. Also, I had some pasta salad: white pasta, peas and diced carrots, lightly dressed in a creamy dressing (not overdone on the dressing at all, but still I'm sure it was mayonnaise based) (or possibly ranch)

Other foods:
B: Moroccan sweet potato stew
L: ratatouille over rice
D: prolly Moroccan---etc.
S: grapes

Not very happy. Man my tummy hurts!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:43 pm

doing good today.

B: grapes and grape tomatoes; a bowl of Three Sisters Soup
S: grapes
L: Moroccan sweet potato stew
S: grapes; nuked potatoes
D: three sisters soup w/quinoa

the grapes have kept me sane. I've got the munchies SOMETHING AWFUL. But I found the same bargain at the discount store yesterday, as I got before, so grabbed another case of them. They aren't *quite* as crispy fresh but they're still in very good shape.

Other bargains at Carl's:

5 cauliflower .50 per; 3 kale .69 each; 10 red potatoes for $1.00; 10 grape tomatoes, red and yellow (the little cups...yum!) for .69; 2 fresh spinach .69; many varied frozen vegs for $1.39 each (the winter blend isn't so great, due to the cauliflower looking brownish probably because of freezing and thawing)...a loaf of honey whole wheat bread for $1.59.

I love my discount store!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

I did really well yesterday. Popcorn after dinner. And today I feel like crap. Hm. Dangnabbit, I love popcorn. It's my favorite snack. :( oh, phooey. How can it possibly be that I've been able to eat popcorn my whole entire life, and even have had it as a treat since starting on McDougall...but now it's making me sick? Did I damage myself going through that binge in September, where I was eating it every afternoon?

Gluttony is destructive, isn't it? I think me being a popcorn pig DID something to my system, similar to when I ate the high protein diet and destroyed my digestion...

We had some major wind blow through the whole Wasatch Front and do some pretty big damage. They had to close I-15 all day long, north and southbound, because 10 semis got blown over in the morning. There were gusts over 100mph in Centerville, which is about 20 mi south of my town. But in my town, 60mph winds were doing their worst.

trees torn up by the roots all over town, and in three cases, coming down on electric wires, knocking over light poles and taking out electricity to over 47,000 homes in town. At my house, there is a huge elm tree that got split in half, and the broken half fell on my carport... stretching but NOT breaking all kinds of cables and wires...even the light pole in the corner of the property is leaning, but not broken over. Amazing that we didn't have a fire, and that our power was back by 5:00 pm...an answer to prayer, for sure.

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
B: peanut butter toast w/sliced banana (comfort food)
L: Three Sisters Soup
S: grapes and baked potatoes
D: I might make one of the recipes in the newsletter or I might smash the pinto beans I boiled yesterday and have refried beans. Comfort food :-D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Buns,
Sorry to hear about the damage to your property! I'm glad you're safe, though. That sort of thing is pretty scary! We had really high winds driving back from seeing our son at college. There was one truck on the road that I swear could have fallen over right on top of us! It was frightening! Glad you have power back on!

Speaking of the newsletter recipes, I think I'm going to make that white bean and kale soup this weekend! It looks really good! Hope you have a good quiet weekend!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 am

Whew. Got my period on Saturday, and assessing the Munchy Monster Damage, I see that peanut butter toast was my "go-to" this time around. I had two slices of peanut butter toast for dinner one day last week, and on Saturday I had it for breakfast. Twice. :| In addition, I had a spoonful of peanut butter, straight up, a couple of times in the past few days. Also ate a lot of grapes.

Thinking of this in a rational way, I am not happy with myself for choosing such rich stuff. I did eat a lot of pnut butter. BUT, I am extremely happy with myself for NOT choosing the candy treats that are still all over the place at work. I also didn't eat tortilla chips, potato chips, cheetos, and only had popcorn one time.

To be fair, and honest with myself: I can do better, and I DID BETTER than last month! :)

TODAY'S PLAN:
B: cheezy steel cut oats made with mushrooms and with berries on top
L: rice, yellow grape tomatoes, carrots
D: color bowl: winter squash, rice, garbanzos, saute'd kale, peas, corn, grated carrot, berries, grape tomatoes

I'm reading "Super Immunity" and loving it. GOMBBS: Greens, Onion, Mushrooms, Berries, Beans, Seeds. Dr Fuhrmann says to eat these six foods in combination as often as possible, for the maximum immunity benefits. They are all anti-carcinogenic, and they all are anti-inflammatory, too.

I'm reading it primarily for the cellulitis that has recurred so frequently this year. It is a bacterial infection, so strengthening my own immune system so that my body has the artillery to fight it is good; it causes an inflammation in my skin, so eating a lot of anti-inflammatory foods makes sense, too.

One thing that is counter to Dr M's advice: Dr Fuhrmann recommends staying away from white potatoes. He also recommends higher than 10% fat intake WITHIN FOODS, NOT FREE OILS...and a large fresh salad every day, to up the intake of raw greens and vegetables. I don't particularly care for tossed salad, so this will be a challenge. HOWEVER, since he recommends an ounce of seeds or nuts per day, (in order to get higher than 10% fat) I think I could make a creamy rich salad dressing with cashews or walnuts and possibly make the salads more palatable.

One thing: eating a big tossed salad would definitely cause me to "lead with the greens"...I just haven't ever developed a taste for salads NOT drenched in Ranch ;-) The thought of eating a large salad every day with 321 Dressing, or Fresh Tomato Dressing, or Carrot Ginger Dressing, or just simple balsamic vinegar...not appetizing in the slightest. I could do it, if I could have the creamy dressing...There are a few salad dressing recipes in the book. I think one with cashews might be worth trying.

Now...saute'd kale with garlic and lemon? mmmmm! Spinach munched fresh out of the bag? YEAH! A heaping serving of arugula under a rice and bean blend? oooh, baby!
Went to a wedding on Saturday. It was beautiful, and the bride's mama, one of my good friends at church, was HOT! She wore absolutely THE most amazing dress: an off-the-shoulder metallic sheath in pewter, ruched on the sides, that came to just above her knees; four inch black stiletto pumps; a glittering diamond-ish choker, bracelet, earrings and brooch at the V of the bustline...absolutely GORGEOUS HOTTY! my friend :)

Because I ate big beforehand, I easily avoided the treats at the reception and spent two solid hours Dancing Like A Dork! Woot! And woke up limping on Sunday but it was worth it. :)

For someone who rarely exercises, I have some pretty good stamina. I've noticed at work, I can dash up the stairs (15) without batting an eye or one huff nor a puff...and on the dance floor, I went without stopping pretty much the whole time it was open, taking one break when slow music came on. I know the food I eat simply makes me stronger and gives me more energy, so even though I'm out of shape for something like jogging or swimming, I do pretty darn good for fun stuff like dancing, gardening, and other day to day stuff.

That said, I do want to get an exercise regimen going. What can I do, that'll get my heart rate up, that won't hurt my foot...THAT is the question.

Salt is out of my diet completely now! I do not add it to rice, oats, quinoa, or any other grain; I do not put it in with boiling potatoes; I have gotten to where I put it on the surface of my foods about twice a month or less. It's amazing how much more subtle the flavors are and how delicious. There are SO MANY OTHER FLAVORS besides "salty" !!!

We'll see how things go. Maybe I'll follow the menus in the fuhrmann book to a T.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 am

I did wonderful yesterday! I ate a nice hearty breakfast, and very light lunch and a substantial "color plate" for dinner. Some grapes. A couple of carrots.

Today, I am having one meal...maybe. My client will be making treats, Reese's peanut butter bars, and I know if I'm hungry for that, I WILL eat the batter/dough/what-have-you ... so maybe I'll have something before lunch...

TODAY'S PLAN:
B:
L: a huge color bowl with acorn squash, rice, garbanzos, spinach, grape tomatoes, grated carrots, berries, pomegranate seeds, mushrooms and some balsamic vinegar sprinkled over it all.
D:

but thinking about my day, i will probably have something soon, so I'm not hungry going in for making those treats.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals