~Kitty Kat with a journal~

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: ~Kitty Kat with a journal~

Postby Chile » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:43 pm

First, congratulations on your recent marriage. It changes your life, usually in a good way. :D

Second, not everyone needs to do the MWL program to lose weight. I have never done it but when I stick to the concepts of the regular program - no oil, no animal foods, limited sugar/salt, whole grain foods, beans, fruit, and lots of veggies - I have always lost weight. Exercise helps, of course, but the right food triples my weight loss compared to exercise alone.

When I McDougalled before, I was averaging half a pound weight loss per day. This time around, embarrasingly a number of years later, I'm averaging just under 1/3 of a pound lost per day. That's including several brief plateaus, one lasting two weeks. My plateaus (or gains) have been due to stress and to eating too much rich food. I love to eat out and tend to not worry about the food having oil in it, even though I do try to get it lower fat. When that doesn't succeed, I still eat it. Bad Chile!

For now, just learn the basics, let them become your new normal, and then see whether you need to be as strict as MWL. Glad you are here!
Chile

Postby kitty_kat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks you guys! That definitely helped me feel better. It is quite a lot to just jump in passionately.

Sometimes I feel bad about having too much sugar, but when I think about how much sugar I was having 2 weeks ago I am like one tenth of that now so I really should stop beating myself up.

So today I did a little bit of shopping, found some corn tortillas. They are 10% fat and have no oils listed on the back so I bought them. I had them with low fat re-fried beans, salsa, and lettuce :eek: wow so good! I really finally felt satisfied after this meal :D

Right now I am making a little treat of vanilla pudding. All of the soya milks I found were over 10% fat but I see people still drink them on this board. Not sure if that is ok or not, but I mixed it with the soya milk which was the only thing with any fat, and just from the bean no added oils in this soya milk.

Anyways I am blabbing too much here, thanks so much for your support I am so happy I have made it 4 days in Sept, and 6 days in total! I was scared about how hard it would be to do just 1! :lol:

Food:
B: Apple cinnamon raisin oatmeal
S: 1 pancake with sour cherry jam, 1 Santa Cruze "pop"(juice thingy)
L: 2 pancakes with sour cherry jam (sooooo sick of pancakes now, time for new recipes!)
S: 2 corn tortillas with low fat re-fried beans, salsa, and lettuce on top
S: bowl of vanilla pudding (I accidentally made it way too thick, lol)
D: 1 corn tortilla with re-fried beans, salsa, lettuce. Homemade tatziki sauce over top of Greek Style rice (yayyy), and 1 black bean brownie (I was trying to find some good food to bring tomorrow night when I go to a family dinner where the woman who cooks makes the best tasting food, I didn't want to feel to deprived)

Exercise:
*None really, I sprained my ankle a little today and I am going to take it easy and start TacFit again with my hunny tomorrow.

Again thanks so much for the support, I have a long way to go but maybe soon I'll graduate from McD pre-school :lol:
kitty_kat

Postby kitty_kat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Well today is my first family dinner outing so wish me luck :-D

Food:
B: apple cinnamon oatmeal with raisins
L: 2 corn tortillas with re-fried beans, salsa, and lettuce
S: lots of veggies from a big veggie plate, and a bit of the black bean "brownie"
D: Greek rice with tzatsiki sauce, a little bit of potatoes, corn, and like 4-5 glasses of wine :o I only drink a handful of times throughout the year but I will admit I was totally smashed last night and paying the price for it today, lol.
S: out of obligation I had a little bit of her homemade dessert, basically she put a little piece of plum for me to try and I tried to scrap off anything that wasn't plum. No one noticed luckily :) Not bad for my first dinner party.

So last night was a blast, but I found there were people totally worried about me. They kept saying all I was having was carbs/starch. For the sit down meal this was mostly true but I had beans and lots of fresh veggies only 30 minutes before we sat down for the meal.

I am not sure how to handle peoples concern which to me is odd to be concerned that I only had the plum part of the pie which is all carbs, therefore not getting all the fat, sugar, and cream. I said no to the extra brandy whipping cream too. So funny they're scared of carbs and me of all the extra junk in that pie :lol:

All in all I had just such a fantastic night and though there were a few time my fave dishes were served I really didn't feel left out of the meal at all :)
kitty_kat

Sept 6th

Postby kitty_kat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Well I feel terrible for getting so drunk last night. I had 4-5 glasses over a 5-6 hour period but I rarely drink so that ended up with me being way too drunk for comfort.

I woke up at 4am starving and still drunk. Wow I really hope I am not coming off badly here just trying to be honest. So I woke up and went and made a snack which helped.

I must admit today I am having a hard time with wanting to go off plan.

S: rice with tzatsiki sauce and a banana
B: 2 corn tortillas with homemade re-fried beans, salsa, and lettuce
S: Santa Cruz juice thingy (I ended up having 2 today but it helped me not totally fall off so I will just do better tomorrow)
S: homemade low fat chocolate pudding(again not great but today I really struggled not to have a fatty meal)
D: 3 corn tortillas topped with homemade veggie chili
S: 2 fig bars (found these and they are totally McD compliant)
S: 1 more corn tortilla topped with homemade veggie chili

I was very hungry today so I ate :)

Exercise:
*none, still have the sprained ankle and then today something dropped out of the fridge and nearly broke my big toe, it's bruised and very sore, lol. Accident prone much, lol, usually I am not :lol:
Last edited by kitty_kat on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty_kat

Postby Chile » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:42 pm

When people express concern about what you're eating, just tell them, "It seems to be working for me so I'm going to stick to it for now." In my case, if they push it, they are gonna get a lecture on nutrition and all the reading I've done, which they likely have not bothered to do themselves. Heck, I was even "educating" my DOCTOR today!

I'm at the point now where I just don't worry about what other people think. It's my body; I have to live with the consequences of my choices. I appreciate their "concern" but it's misplaced.

About the alcohol, it seems like the result is that it wants to lead you astray the next day. Don't let it. Eat good healthy food, lots of fiber, and drink plenty of water. You should be back to your new normal in no time!
Chile

Postby kitty_kat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks Chili I am feeling much better now :-D

Changes come with their bumps and hard times, today was one of them, but the day is pretty much over and I didn't eat my DH's brownies so all is well :lol:

I truly appreciate the support, and I will remember to use that it seems to be working for me line.
kitty_kat

Postby carrotlvr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Hello Kitty,

Sound like you are off to a good start and have recovered from your hangover. Just a tip about the watermelon. If it was bad, definitely throw it out, but if it didn't taste sweet, you can put it in the blender with a mango or other sweet fruit for a fun drink. You can also freeze the chunks for later in drinks and smoothies. You can even add a little alcohol, just a little to avoid the hangover. :D

When I am at a party, I usually bring my own diet soda and add some wine or just a little booze to save on calories and stress the next day. No one knows I'm not indulging and they leave me alone. The diet soda isn't the best choice, but it's a better alternative.

Congratulations on your wedding. It sounds like you have a supportive husband. Not all of us are that lucky.

Kris
carrotlvr

Postby kitty_kat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Well today has been pretty good. I did have some tea however that had caffeine and omg... I felt terrible for 2 hours. So I will have to be more careful.

carrotlvr thanks for posting, and yes I am over the hangover, hehe. I honestly don't drink that often :lol: The watermelon idea sounds great and I will remember that for next time, thanks!

Food:
B: oatmeal made with mango tea, a banana, and 1 tsp of brown sugar
S: 1 corn tortilla with my veggie chili on top, mint tea caffeine free
L: 2 corn tortillas with my veggie chili on top
S: 2 fig bars
D: 3 corn tortillas with homemade hummus on top and cucumbers
S: 2 homemade cinnamon banana whole wheat muffins

Exercise:
*Not much. I have been feeling a little tired lately which is fine, changing your diet is a lot of work. My first focus I think should be changing my diet and I will try work out but I will put more focus on that after my first 3-4 weeks and eating this way becomes more "habit." :)
Last edited by kitty_kat on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kitty_kat

Postby Chile » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Another watermelon idea is agua fresca. You just blend peeled and seeded watermelon with some ice water, lime juice, and mint. It's very refreshing. Lots of recipes online including my version on the first blog link in my signature line below. (Just search on "agua fresca" to find it or look in the recipes section....hopefully I remembered to add it.)
Chile

Sept 8th, 2011

Postby kitty_kat » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Today I have been hungry and tired for some reason.

Food:
B: 1 cinnamon banana muffin, 1 corn tortilla with leftover veggie chili
S: 2 fig bars
L: asparagus, mashed potatoes, and mushroom "gravy"
S: 2 fig bars, 1 cinnamon banana muffin
S: 2 corn tortillas with hummus and cucumbers slices on top <3
S: 1 more muffin
D: corn, baked potato, and a dressing for the potato make out of soy yogurt, spices, and onions
S: low fat chocolate soy pudding cup and 1 more muffin(they are small, don't even make it over the paper cups, lol)
S: 1/2 a banana and 2 fig bars(I was so hungry before bed)

Wow I just did an estimate of calories even though I don't need to be watching them and I was much lower than I thought. Maybe I am tired because I haven't been eating enough.. this is odd. When I tried to lose weight in Jan counting calories I was worrying about eating too many, now I eat lots of food and hope I am not too low. :lol:
kitty_kat

Postby Chile » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 am

LOL, I just posted in the main 100% thread that you need to make sure you're eating enough ... then came here and you say essentially the same thing. Too funny. :)
Chile

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:07 am

LOL also what I do for the tired is incorporate a legueme in at least one of my daily meals.. I do not know why that helps but it does..

And get in plenty of water. I try to make sure I get a full glass (8-12 Oz) with my meals. DOn't worry about getting eight glasses because you are consuming lots with all the veggies you eat. But be mindful to get some in.

and Good for you.

I tell people that I am eating this way for my health and that there are tons of studies out there about a vegetarian diet helping with my specific conditions.

then I tell them about how much my numbers improved eating this way, After a couple of times of that they usually leave you alone. I tell them I watched my Mom die from taking the pills instead of changing her diet. And I site web sites and books they can read.

I never say you should change to my way of eating I always just say well this is what I am doing becasue of A, B, C I studied up on it before I changed I am following a diet designed by a Medical Doctor who has helped thousands of patients with my conditions.

That usually does it.

Anyway keep up the good work You are doing great. And don't cave to what other people say... I let myself do that and wasted a bunch of months eating off plan and gained all the weight I lost back and had to fight my way back down and back on plan.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby kitty_kat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 am

:lol: Thanks so much Chile and kittyadventures!! Seriously you guys posting in my journal helps me want to stay on track when it gets tough, knowing someone will see it.

Sometimes I forget that I am not one of those people who can luckily eat enough to last them for a long time, I am a birdy eater. So then I feel like I am posting too much food because it's all small little meals, but when I reconsider that's not looking at the full picture. I am so glad I am keeping a journal because it really is an eye opener!

I will also try drinking more water to see if that helps with my energy too, thanks KA.
kitty_kat

Postby Adrienne » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 am

I agree with KA. Eat more legumes or intact whole grains or potatoes, corn or sweet potatoes. They will keep you fuller longer. And because they are digested at a slower rate, your blood sugar and insulin levels won't rise and fall so rapidly. Not only are these foods slowing your weight loss but it's very possible that all the refined carbs you are eating are making you tired. I know if I were eating so many rapidly digestible carbs (muffins, pancakes, fig bars, sugar) I would be tired all the time as well. Some people are more sensitive to the processed stuff than others.

These newsletters on refined carbohydrates/ flour products may be helpful:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/oct/sugar.htm
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/jan/grains.htm

Best of luck to you!
Adrienne

Postby nicoles » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Kitty-Kat! I love cats - we have two right now :lol:
Just read your journal. Welcome ( a bit late) and Congratualtions on your marriage. What a wonderful time to change your life for the better.

Just wanted to say, it sounds like you are doing great, and eating this way only gets easier over time. Especially as the benefits add up and the weight drops off!

:)

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals