Marla's Journal 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marla's Journal 2011

Postby Marla » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 pm

simoncat wrote:
Anyway, yes, I want that cookbook. It's on my wish list. It has really good ratings. I haven't seen it yet except on Amazon. I am kind of a "Cookbook Junkie", although I won't say I am a good cook. I just love reading recipes and getting ideas. Have you made anything from it yet? If you do and you like it, I hope you'll say so here.

Simoncat, I have not had the book that long. The recipes are fun to browse and pretty interesting. A lot (maybe most) can be adapted to make them McD friendly. So far I have made the Potato-Spinach curry (which was excellent) and the Sanctuary dressing (a tofu ranch dressing that was actually a lot better than I remember tofu ranch dressings being). I also really enjoy making "bowl" meals (like a layer of greens, a layer of beans, a layer of rice, a layer of lettuce, and some kind of dressing or sauce), and this book has a section on bowls that is making me drool. I will play with her ideas and try to make less calorie-dense versions.
Marla

Postby Marla » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Yesterday's Food:

Drink - Teeccino
Breakfast - oats with mashed banana
Lunch - crockpot potato with half a cup of spicy Peruano beans and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast over it; huge pile of cooked kale (I ate the whole bunch :shock: )
Dinner - potato-tomato-green bean stew; large bowl of romaine salad with lots of raw veggies and balsamic-mustard dressing
Dessert - organic strawberries

I think I ate a plum at some point also but I now can't remember if that was yesterday or today.....okay it was yesterday.

You know what, I am going to try posting my day's food at the end of the day instead of the next day. Starting now.

Today's food:
Drink - Teeccino
Breakfast - peach
Lunch - crockpot potato slices grilled on Foreman grill, with pepper and Mrs. Dash; big salad with rice vinegar and a dollop of homemade no-tahini hummus on top
Drink - Good Earth sweet 'n spicy tea
Dinner - Chickpea veggie burger (just the patty), oven fries (one potato's worth), huge mound of braised red cabbage, large serving of roasted cauliflower from Dr. Esselstyn's book; sliced tomato on the side.

I don't think I'll eat any more tonight -- that was a big meal. I will have a cup of Sleepytime tea before bed.

I am spending too much time on these forums but it is for my health so it's okay :D Oh yeah! Forks Over Knives is on Netflix instant view. Maybe I'll watch some of it tonight. DH and I saw it at the theater but I want to see it again.
Marla

Postby Marla » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Today's Food:

Morning drink - Teeccino
Breakfast- Gala apple (I am not much of a breakfast eater; I have oats if I am hungry and a piece of fruit if I am not)
Lunch - crockpot baked potato sprinkled w/ nutritional yeast and no-salt seasoning; huge mound of cooked chard (the whole bunch); leftover braised red cabbage; half a cup of homemade refried beans with Tabasco (I was stuffed!)
Dinner - Quinoa with corn and green beans; steamed zucchini; big romaine salad with balsamic/mustard dressing; tablespoon of ground flax on my salad
Drinks - herbal tea, sparkling water

I also did my 5 mile run today.

I am feeling good about the 100% compliant challenge that starts tomorrow. I made a decision about my birthday, which is in a week or so - I am not going to go out for a restaurant meal. I *was* planning to go to a Vietnamese place and get fresh summer rolls and a vegetarian bowl of (faux) Pho, and while this would not be a terrible meal, it might contain a tad of oil in the soup broth (I am not sure, the broth seems very clear but you never know) and some tofu, and refined flour in the noodles, and possibly some peanut dipping sauce that I would have a hard time resisting. Plus tons of sodium. So to really take this challenge seriously I have decided to cook the same meal myself and make it compliant (with a slightly different soup that doesn't have noodles).

I am all set for my experiment of tracking my food for September in the Cron-O-Meter. What I am trying to do is get a one-month average of my nutrient intake so I can identify how I could eat better. I have wondered exactly how low my sodium really is, too. At the end of it I should have a nice detailed record of what compliant eating consists of, in case I ever forget (again) :\

Okay, I have some work to do before bedtime, so I'm outta here. In the morning I am looking forward to trying some Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea as my wake-up drink.
Marla

Postby Marla » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:10 am

I starting posting my daily food log over in the September 100% Compliance Challenge thread instead of here.

One of the questions that occasionally pops into my head (whispered by the little guy with the pitchfork sitting on my shoulder) is, why is it necessary to be 100% compliant? Isn't 95% good enough? Is half a gram of oil in my spaghetti sauce really going to pack the pounds on and give me heart disease and cancer? Is one cookie in an otherwise flawless day really going to make a difference to my health? Probably not, but....

Those "little" exceptions do make a big difference in my mindset, habits, and behavior patterns. And my mindset, habits and behavior patterns make all the difference to my success on this program and my chances of staying healthy for life. If I am in the groove of doing the program 100%, it actually gets easier, not harder. I never believed this before. I always thought I had to have my little treats to make it do-able. I thought this because I never had the courage to actually try doing it without them! I know better now.

It has been over 3 months since I had a piece of candy. Candy was one of my treats that I couldn't let go of.....but I couldn't let go of it because I kept indulging in it. The longer I go without it, the less I think about it and the less I struggle. David Kessler in The End of Overeating explains it better than I can:

....for a long time to come, you'll still have to fight the conditioned responses that drive overeating. You'll still have to deal with the emotions propelling you toward highly palatable foods. Like much of the information on a computer hard drive, the neural pathways that created the cue-urge-reward-habit cycle can't easily be wiped out. They can, however, be managed.

If you're exposed to a cue and consistently manage not to seek out a reward, new learning begins to take hold in your brain, and the cue begins to lose its powerful association.... As a conditioned response becomes less automatic, the cue becomes decoupled from the reward. The drive begins to ease, and in time, the stimulus can cool.

So, to the little guy with the pitchfork, THAT is why I'm doing this. Not because one cookie will make me fat or sick. But because one cookie will strengthen the neural pathways of cue-urge-reward that have stood in the way of my success. It's about my brain and re-training it so that it will be easier for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

It has already started to happen. When I do encounter situations that used to defeat me, like walking past the bulk bins of goodies in the natural foods store, I can feel that my reaction is different now. Before I would have stopped and looked, smelled the chocolatey-coconutty-fruity scents emanating from the bins, imagined what they would taste like, debated with myself about whether to get "just a little," and ultimately lost the fight. Now, I avoid going near those bins, and if I do see them, I immediately shut down those thoughts and turn my attention elsewhere BEFORE I start to imagine and debate about it. A couple weeks ago I noticed after a shopping trip that it did not even occur to me to get something from those bins. It might occur to me next time though, if I am having a bad day or am too hungry or maybe see someone else scooping up a treat I used to love. So I will have to be vigilant and remember that my goal is to completely extinguish that cue-urge-reward response. I have to slam the door hard on those thoughts and walk the other way.....or the door will never close and I will be in this same place 5 years from now.

When I doubt that this can work, I remind myself that it has already worked for other things. For example, I don't have the slightest inclination to ever go into a McDonald's or a KFC. It has been so many years that the idea of getting a meal there is totally foreign to me. Those restaurants are just buildings in the landscape, not places to get food. I would like to feel that way about all sugary, fatty, processed food, eventually. I can do this if I remind myself why it is important to abstain from those things completely.
Marla

Postby Chile » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:46 am

Beautifully put, Marla, and a great example of how doing the program whole-heartedly results in success. Keep up the great work!
Chile

Postby simoncat » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi Marla. It looks like you and Chile joined this site around the same time!!

Anyway, Marla your food looks good and you are running 5 miles. Yeah, that is great!! I bet it won't take you long to lose!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Marla » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Simoncat, thanks for your message. Yes, I joined this forum a long time ago and have been reading it over the years -- just not posting. I have learned a lot here and I continue to learn new things every day!

I only wish I had been stricter with my "McDougalling" for the past 8 years. After my initial success, my pattern has been to slowly allow more treats and exceptions, gain weight, get strict again and lose it, get lazy again and gain it back. I am really tired of that. This time feels different because it is the first time I have ever eliminated salt, sugar, high fat plant foods, alcohol, refined flour, most whole grain flour, and McD-legal desserts (switched to fresh fruit). I hope I will be able to look back from the future and see that this was a life-changing decision. It takes some of us longer to catch on but when we do, look out! :unibrow:
Marla

Postby Marla » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 am

Fun with Cron-O-Meter!

As I mentioned previously, I decided that for the month of September I would use the free Cron-O-Meter program to track my nutrient intake and see if there are areas I can improve on. Jeff discusses the Cron-O-Meter here: http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6796

I won't lie - this is a pain to do. I don't see much point in guestimating, so I weigh everything and input the amount in grams. When I make a recipe I input how many grams of each ingredient, and the program then calculates the total weight and nutrients of the whole recipe so I can then input for example "200g Sloppy Lentils." I've had to create new entries for a few products I buy, and lots of custom recipes. I had to tweak my nutritional targets according to Jeff's recommendations also. Even so, I think it has been worth it.

The reason it has been valuable for me is that it reinforces everything Dr. McDougall teaches and reminds of how healthful this diet is. I am the kind of person who likes to know how and why something works, not just that it works. I find the CRON data fascinating and it helps me understand why this is the right way to eat.

One thing I was curious about recently was the calorie density of my diet. Jeff explains calorie density in this thread: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... =22&t=6032

These are averages

Fresh Veggies are around 100 cal/lb
Fresh Fruits around 250-300 cal/lb
Starchy Veggies/Intact Whole Grains around 450-500 cal/lb
Legumes around 550-600 cal/lb
Processed Grains (even if they are Whole grain) around 1200-1500 cal/lb
Nuts/Seeds around 2800 cal/lb
Oils around 4000 cal/lb

What they found [in studies] is if the calorie density of the food is below 400 calories per pound, not matter how much they eat, they all lost weight.

Between 600-800 calories per pound, with some moderate exercise, they all lost weight.

Between 800-1200 calories per pound, people gained weight, except for those with very high activity levels

Over 1200 calories per pound, everyone gained weight.

Interesting! Thinking about the MWL book and its guidelines, Dr. McDougall discusses the ratio of green and veggies to starches (MWL page 73). He describes the "Moderate" plan of 2/3 starch to 1/3 veggies, the "Rapid" plan of half starch and half veggies, and the "Hasty" plan of one-third starch and 2/3 veggies. I have been been following the half-and-half plan most days. I eat legumes most days but not in huge quantities (average of half a cup daily). I eat 2 fruits a day. Occasionally (once a week) I make a whole grain pasta dish or pizza, and have a modest serving of that along with lots of veggies. Occasionally I include a small amount of lite tofu in dressings or as tofu sour cream. I don't add sugars (except small amounts in condiments like homemade ketchup and chutney) and I avoid nuts. And of course I don't include oils in my diet. Trying to guess the calorie density of my whole diet, I reasoned that half veggies and half potatoes and grains would yield a diet of around 250-300 cal/lb. Adding fruit would not change that. Adding beans and small amounts of the more calorie dense foods I mentioned (lite tofu, occasional flour) would raise it a little, so I estimated perhaps 350 cals/lb overall.

So I did the calculations based on 4 days of data. I am eating about 4 pounds of food a day, which I gather is a typical amount for humans. I totaled up all of the grams of food I ate (not including calorie free liquids like tea - just food), converted that into pounds, and divided my total calories by pounds of food consumed. It came out to an average calorie density of 250 cals/lb. I guess I am eating more veggies than I thought :shock:

I have been very satisfied with my food (4 pounds is a lot of food to eat). And I am meeting all of my nutritional targets except for a few that Jeff explains will always be low on a whole foods, plant-based diet.

I feel very reassured by this somehow. The people in the studies cited by Jeff whose diet was lower than 400 cals/lb in calorie density, all lost weight. I have been losing about a pound a week with moderate exercise. That suits me fine. I am one of those slow losers with an efficient metabolism. I think mostly MWL is going to be the right plan for me for the rest of my life if I don't want to keep repeating my history.

By the way I am going to stop using the CRON when this experiment is over. The best thing about McDougalling is not having to weigh or measure or count calories, and I will feel even more secure in doing this after seeing the CRON data.
Marla

Postby Chile » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:50 am

That's really interesting. Thanks for doing the work and sharing the results with us. I'm too lazy to measure all my food and figure out the calories, and never did calorie-counting diets in the past because I decided they were just way too much work! Guess I was simply waiting for the common sense, medically proven, approach from Dr. McDougall to cross my radar. :lol:

Good job on keeping your calorie density so low. Wowza! Keep up the good work!
Chile

Postby Becky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Marla! I've "known" you since you used to post as Flower, and maybe you remember me as well. I used to live in Sacramento (now I travel full time in with my DH in our RV), and you were the one who first told me about SF Market in Sacramento. Shun Fat is the full name, and I remember we thought that was a pretty appropriate name for a market for McDougallers (although it really isn't an oil free market, lol).

Anyway, I, like many here, have enjoyed your recipes, and the one for microwave potato chips made it's way into my small collection of recipes I put into a book for family and friends, and credited to you!

Glad to see you back on the boards. I mostly just lurk now-a-days, but am never too far away. McDougalling is definitely my roots and my home base for eating.

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Stella » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 am

Happy Birthday Marla!!
Hope you enjoy it.

Stella
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjd6eUR/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wjd6eUR/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Stella

Postby Marla » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Becky! Gosh it's nice to "see" you! Of course I remember you from when you lived in Sacramento. We exchanged some nice emails and you shared with me some of your resources about hiking trails in the area, as well as lots of McDougall food talk :)

Haha...yes....Shun Fat Supermarket does sound a place that McDougallers would frequent! I haven't been in a couple of years, but I want to go soon to see if they have purple sweet potatoes. I'm not making much Asian food these days because it tends to be high in sodium, but I do enjoy all of the exotic produce at Asian markets.

So you and your husband are still traveling around the country in your RV? I have been checking out your food blog from time to time ever since you've been posting updates on this site. I need to get that 1000 Vegan Recipes book and try some of the recipes with your McDougall tweaks.

Thanks for saying hello, and I hope you are having a great weekend.
Marla

Postby Marla » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:49 pm

As I mentioned recently in the 100% Compliance Challenge thread, I indulged in some richer foods on my birthday -- nothing that is forbidden on the program, but some foods that were comparatively higher in fat, sugar and salt, as well as some wine.

"The day after," I found myself struggling to stay away from richer foods. I wanted more of all the things I had the day before, and it seemed like I couldn't shut out the compulsive thoughts about those foods. And I ended up caving in just a little.....not too disastrously, but I snacked on rice cakes with low-fat peanut butter, had a glass of wine with dinner, and also decided I needed cocoa in my after-dinner "banana ice cream." I wanted to top it with walnuts but managed to talk myself out of them :)

I am not sure that the addictive nature of those richer foods themselves can completely explain what happened. I think it has just as much to do with a mental shift, where foods that were previously off limits and out of the question suddenly became available again as options in my mind. Now once again I am thinking "Oooh I could have this....but I really shouldn't......but I want it......oh go on and have it then." I can NOT keep up a constant fight against that. It's exhausting.

Starting this morning I got back on my almost-MWL version of the plan, with no added sugar, salt, or fancy additions like cocoa. I will fill up on my starches and veggies and a little fruit, and pretty soon I will forget that those other things are an option. Or if I don't forget, at least they won't keep popping into my head.

My DH and I had a pot luck social that we were supposed to attend tonight; I had signed up to bring a corn salad and baked sweet potatoes, which would have been our food there. But this morning I decided that I am feeling too vulnerable right now and it would not be a good idea for me to spend several hours around tables loaded with snack foods and desserts and people urging me to try them. I made our apologies to the organizers and said something had come up but we'd try to make the next one. Maybe that was extreme, but I felt like I needed to protect myself and my health by limiting my exposure to "triggers" until I feel back on track again. I am making my health my top priority.

Today I am doing well; I had oats for breakfast and my tasty corn salad for lunch, and now I am sipping a glass of iced peppermint tea and planning something busy and productive to do with the rest of the day. I am feeling really relieved that I took action to stop myself from sliding back into unhealthy habits and thought processes. And on another happy note, I have enough corn salad here to last us all week :lol:
Marla

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:09 pm

I think it was very smart of you to listen to your instincts in regards to the potluck social this evening. You knew there would be triggers and decided not to put yourself in their path. Kudos for doing what's right for you even if it disappoints others. They don't have to live with the after-effects.

As someone who feels strongly compelled to uphold all commitments, at least those made to others, it took me a long time to learn to put myself first. Nobody else was going to do it so I had to step up to the plate and take control of my own actions. I think part of this is because, as women, we are encouraged to be nurturers and take care of everybody else, often at the expense of self. However, taking better care of ourselves will, in the long run, make it possible to take better care of others (but try explaining that to the others when you come to this realization!)
Chile

Postby Becky » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Marla wrote:So you and your husband are still traveling around the country in your RV? I have been checking out your food blog from time to time ever since you've been posting updates on this site. I need to get that 1000 Vegan Recipes book and try some of the recipes with your McDougall tweaks.

Thanks for saying hello, and I hope you are having a great weekend.

Yes, we are still traveling around the country, just wrapping up a very active eight months on the East Coast. Right now we are in Oregon, and we will be back in the Sacramento area come Thursday, and staying for a year! It will be nice to be "home" for a while, although, like our bumper sticker says, "Home is Where You Park It"! :nod:

Thanks for checking out my 1000 Vegan Recipes blog, I appreciate that! :)

Hope your weekend was a good one.

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals