Marla's Journal 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marla's Journal 2011

Postby to_our_health » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Marla wrote:
to_our_health wrote: I have an old crockpot with just a manual low/high setting. What brand of dry beans do you use? Do you soak first? How do you cook them? Inquiring (inexperienced) minds would like to know! :)

Thanks!

Hi to_our_health!

I have an old crockpot too, with just high and low. It is just the standard size (about 3 quarts). I don't soak my beans -- I find that they get enough of a quick-soak effect as the crockpot heats up. I buy the bulk garbanzos at my regular grocery store (Winco), but I would use any old brand. I'd just try not to buy ones that have been sitting on the shelf too long if possible.

Some people think that soaking reduces the flatulence factor. I haven't found this to be true for me (I don't get much gas regardless), but if you notice a difference then by all means soak them overnight, drain, and proceed. Just reduce the cooking time by about an hour if you soak them.

Here's what I do:

--put a pound of dry garbanzos into the cold crockpot
--cover with water up to the knuckle on my index finger (about 6-7 cups).
--cover and set to high
--check after 4 hours. The timing will depend a lot on your crockpot and somewhat on how old the beans are, so I can't give you an exact time, but when you find your special magic number, write it down :) I have a book called Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker that says to cook soaked beans on high for 8-12 hours :shock: I can't imagine how that would turn out, but maybe some people's slow cookers are that wimpy? Mine gets them nice and soft in about 4 and a half hours. Your mileage may vary.

Then I use what I want at the time, and freeze the rest in can-sized servings (1 1/2 cups). Baggies work well for this.

Let me know how it works out for you if you try it! Soooo much cheaper (and I think they taste better too). The only thing is, sometimes the skins come off during cooking, and sometimes I overcook them (I like them soft), so they aren't always as pretty or as firm as the canned ones. But I am mostly going to smoosh them up anyway so I don't care :D

Thank you! I'm definitely going to try this...I use so many cans it would be great to cut down that expense. I'll let you know how it turns out!
to_our_health

Postby veggielou » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:03 am

I too have an old crockpot. Find it works just fine. I like Marla freeze sandwich bags of different beans. As easy as opening a can,go to freezer grab a can of what ever kind I want. Sometimes I do thaw in micro or 20% power.
veggielou

Postby Chile » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 am

The tomato chutney recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey, so it definitely falls in the authentic category.

Yep, it gets cold in Tucson. In fact, a late freeze on May 3 significantly affected gardens and commercial produce. We went to a U-pick peach orchard Friday and had to settle for "nugget" peaches - little things compared to the usual baseball and softball size fruit.

We often had nights down to 18 degrees last winter, but we are a bit higher in elevation than Tucson where we live now and have a wash that runs through the property, pulling cold air in.

Happy you're on board for the September Challenge. I'll expect lots of inspiration from you since you've been compliant for the last few months!
Chile

Postby Marla » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:34 am

Okay, I posted my ketchup recipe in the Food & Recipes forum.

Debbie, I agree beans do seem to cook more evenly on the stovetop when soaked overnight first. I think the crockpot sort of takes care of the soaking as it slowly heats up.

I like the idea of freezing the beans in blocks and then transferring to bags when frozen. I think it would be easier than my usual process of filling those baggies with wet beans. I'm gonna try your way next time!
Marla

Postby Stella » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Marla,
I just wanted to say I still use your Navy bean soup recipe all the time. Most of my extended family loves it too. My kids request it a couple of times a month! Welcome back. I don't post much but I've used your old site many times.

Peace,
Stella
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjd6eUR/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wjd6eUR/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Stella

Postby simoncat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi, Chile & all. I'd love to join, but because of autoimmune issues and things, I am using nuts and avocados, so I'm not compliant. However, I think you'll have some great recipes posted here and some good progress. Yeah!!! I'll be cheering you on! :nod:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Oops, sorry Marla. I thought I was posting at Chile's challenge. However, I am going to watch your posts too, as I love new recipes. Glad your here!
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Marla » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi Simoncat, I follow your Two Cats journal and I am glad you stopped by! I have a fluffy black Lucycat :D But my DH is allergic to cats so she will be the last kitty I get to have. I had her before we got married so she was grandfathered in. DH just has to take Zyrtek and deal with it :)

I personally don't think nuts are unhealthy in small amounts (an ounce a day). Jeff N says you can enjoy some nuts, especially in an otherwise low calorie density meal. I have been avoiding them....but have you seen Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new book Appetite for Reduction? There are some super-yummy looking nut-based dressings in there. If I were to eat some nuts I'd make a dressing with them and put them on a salad. I probably will do that after I lose my excess weight.
Marla

Postby Marla » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Yesterday's Food:

Breakfast - oats with half a mashed banana mixed in
    Lunch - baked Yukon gold potato with Mrs. Dash and nutritional yeast; large amount of coleslaw mix dressed with rice vinegar and Sriracha sauce; large amount of steamed chard
    Dinner - whole wheat spaghetti (1 cup) with homemade mushroom marinara; boatload of steamed broccoli
    Snack - cherries

Today I visited that natural food store that I was told about, Sprouts. I was unimpressed. It was like a smaller Whole Foods with less selection and similar prices, at least on the stuff I was likely to buy. I did get some of my Westbrae no-salt-added mustard, some smoked paprika, some canned no salt beans for 99 cents a can (kidney beans, which I don't tend to cook from scratch because I don't use them enough), some fire-roasted no-salt tomatoes, some organic chard, and a treat of some organic strawberries that I am going to share with my DH in about 5 minutes!

We watched The Last Heart Attack last night and rewatched most of it again tonight via the VegSource link. I don't know what I think about my diet being "controversial." Does anyone seriously believe that eating this way is bad for you? The worst "cons" I ever hear are that it is extreme and hard to stick with (which it isn't). But I have never seen any experts claim that a low fat, plant-based, whole foods diet is dangerous. Maybe I am living in a cave.
Marla

Postby Marla » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Debbie. wrote:
simoncat wrote:I am using nuts and avocados, so I'm not compliant.

I only highlight this because it expounds my confusion. Maybe you can see why I keep questioning some things. I did see that the coffee, regular, decaf and black tea are not allowed, but nuts and avocados? Maybe not for someone like me and Chile who has weight to lose, but you and like simoncat who is nearly at goal, can use some. I guess I am confused on the complaint part.

Unless Im missing something else. :duh:

I thought nuts and avocados were okay in the regular program for people who do not have weight to lose. I have weight to lose, and the closer I get to goal the stricter I have to be to see any progress *sigh* But as far as the September challenge goes, I think people can eat nuts and still be compliant if they are at a healthy weight. I do get the impression that nuts are to be used "occasionally and/or in small amounts" even when you are at a healthy weight. Jeff suggests no more than 1-2 ounces a day.
Marla

Postby Chile » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 pm

You hit the nail on the head, Marla. As I clearly said in my original post, I am NOT at my goal weight, therefore I am not eating high-fat plant foods. Sheesh, if I'd known this was gonna cause so much controversy and grief, I'd never have done it. :roll:
Chile

Postby simoncat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Debbie. wrote:
simoncat wrote:I am using nuts and avocados, so I'm not compliant.

I only highlight this because it expounds my confusion. Maybe you can see why I keep questioning some things. I did see that the coffee, regular, decaf and black tea are not allowed, but nuts and avocados? Maybe not for someone like me and Chile who has weight to lose, but you and like simoncat who is nearly at goal, can use some. I guess I am confused on the complaint part.

Unless Im missing something else. :duh:

Debbie, I am kind of following a mixed Fuhrman and McDougall plan. Thus, I am not being compliant with McDougall totally. I am following McDougall's extra rapid MWL plan in certain ways in that I am eating a lot of greens and yellows and Fuhrman's plan where I am eating a lot of fruit and 1 oz of nuts. I limit my starch to 1 a day and this seems to be working for me. Also, I usually do not snack (not even on apples) which I think is part of Fuhrman's plan. I find that I have a hard time with snacking, as it makes me hungrier. Now, everyone is different and I admit that I am wondering how the nuts will affect my cholesterol. However, I feel great and that says a lot, because a year ago, I felt pretty miserable and had little energy. Though, if you are planning on being totally McDougall compliant, I don't think he allows nuts.
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Chile » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Debbie, it's not just you, but stuff going on in the Lounge one, too. And it's not just these questions - I bring a lot of baggage to challenges, baggage I'd forgotten that I was still carrying. I eventually stopped doing challenges on my blog because everybody wanted an exception ... to the point it wasn't really my challenge anymore. There were other issues there, too, that I won't go into, so please, don't mind me.

Part of the reason I took my vacation from the board was the nitpicking (and often arguing) that goes on over every little detail. I guess it's important because it's how people figure the program out but to me it seems like the program is pretty straightforward. Omit all the really unhealthy stuff (animal products, oil, etc.). If you're not perfectly healthy and at your goal weight, omit the richer plant-based foods until you are, then use them as the occasional treat only.

Anwyay, my apologies if I made you feel unwelcome.

@Marla - so sorry for co-opting your journal here!
Chile

Postby simoncat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Marla wrote:Hi Simoncat, I follow your Two Cats journal and I am glad you stopped by! I have a fluffy black Lucycat :D But my DH is allergic to cats so she will be the last kitty I get to have. I had her before we got married so she was grandfathered in. DH just has to take Zyrtek and deal with it :)

I personally don't think nuts are unhealthy in small amounts (an ounce a day). Jeff N says you can enjoy some nuts, especially in an otherwise low calorie density meal. I have been avoiding them....but have you seen Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new book Appetite for Reduction? There are some super-yummy looking nut-based dressings in there. If I were to eat some nuts I'd make a dressing with them and put them on a salad. I probably will do that after I lose my excess weight.

I am glad you kept your Lucycat. You are lucky your husband was understanding. I'd keep him if I were you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, yes, I want that cookbook. It's on my wish list. It has really good ratings. I haven't seen it yet except on Amazon. I am kind of a "Cookbook Junkie", although I won't say I am a good cook. I just love reading recipes and getting ideas. Have you made anything from it yet? If you do and you like it, I hope you'll say so here.
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Chile wrote:Debbie, it's not just you, but stuff going on in the Lounge one, too. And it's not just these questions - I bring a lot of baggage to challenges, baggage I'd forgotten that I was still carrying. I eventually stopped doing challenges on my blog because everybody wanted an exception ... to the point it wasn't really my challenge anymore. There were other issues there, too, that I won't go into, so please, don't mind me.

Part of the reason I took my vacation from the board was the nitpicking (and often arguing) that goes on over every little detail. I guess it's important because it's how people figure the program out but to me it seems like the program is pretty straightforward. Omit all the really unhealthy stuff (animal products, oil, etc.). If you're not perfectly healthy and at your goal weight, omit the richer plant-based foods until you are, then use them as the occasional treat only.

Anwyay, my apologies if I made you feel unwelcome.

@Marla - so sorry for co-opting your journal here!

Chile, I'm sorry; I probably shouldn't have said anything about the nuts. However, I think, at least in my opinion, most people here are trying to help each other attain their goals. I know, I am and I think that you are too and I think that is why we are doing this. Isn't it??? You are doing a good job. Keep at it!!
[/url]
simoncat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals