Marla's Journal 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Marla's Journal 2011

Postby Marla » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi fellow McDougallers!

I recently decided that I would like to participate in this wonderful forum after being a lurker for the last 5 years. I used to post on the old VegSource board as “Flower” from 2003-2006, and I’ve been reading this board since it started, so I feel like I know everyone very well even if you don’t know me. :D

I’ve been “McDougalling” since early 2003. I put quotation marks around that because for a lot of that time I wasn’t 100% on plan. It pains me to admit it, but for much of the last 8 years I’ve been a “lazy McDougaller,” which is to say, I was loosely following the program but making a lot of exceptions for sweets, snacks, high-fat vegan restaurant meals 2 or 3 times a month, alcoholic beverages, coffee, products that weren’t completely oil-free, and off-program food eaten at pot lucks and meetings. In my mind I was 90% on plan because most of my meals at home were McDougall-ish. But at some level I must have known that I wasn’t really McDougalling – I just didn’t want to see it.

Finally, this year, it dawned on me that I needed to do better. My weight had been yo-yoing for years due to my imperfect compliance, and I just didn’t feel healthy. And then there was the problem of my blood pressure. I’m 41 years old and I’ve had hypertension since age 14. I’ve never taken medication for it. With lazy McDougalling and exercise, my BP hovered around 140/90 – below the threshold where medication would be indicated, but far from optimal. Then last year it began to rise. When it got as high as 160/110, I couldn’t ignore it any longer. :shock:

Three months ago I made the switch from lazy McDougalling to 100% compliance. I now eat mostly MWL (heavy on the veggies), with an occasional whole wheat pasta meal or pizza on a homemade whole wheat crust. I gave up caffeine, alcohol, sugar, and hardest of all, salt. Well, they were all hard. But eating no added salt is the biggest change and the biggest pain in the behind, because it forces me to make my own EVERYTHING, from ketchup and BBQ sauce, to chili powder and seasoning blends, to spaghetti sauce. A few items like no-salt-added mustard I can order online. I really miss my former Asian stir fry dishes that contained ingredients like tamari, hoisin, vegetarian oyster sauce, black bean sauce, and miso. There is just no substitute for those so I no longer make those recipes. Oh well!

My blood pressure has come down a lot, but it took about a month of 100% compliance (including no added sodium, alcohol, or caffeine), along with daily exercise, before I saw any change at all. Now after 3 months my systolic (top) number is usually below 120. My diastolic is being more stubborn and is generally in the mid-80s to mid-90s --improving, but still too high. I have seen more 80s than 90s lately, which is encouraging. I will definitely stick with what I’m doing!

So….why did I decide to start participating in the forum after being silent for so long? Well, I already feel like I know everyone and I talk to all of you in my head when I read your posts….it would nice if you could hear me. Also, I am always learning from this forum and I want to be able to express my thanks and appreciation to the people who have helped me so much in my journey. Finally, I have been doing the program a long time and might have information and resources to share that could help someone else.

Thanks for reading and I’ll see you around!
Marla

Re: Marla's Journal 2011

Postby jamietwo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Congratulations on your 100% compliance! Great job and great results! :)
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Marla wrote: I used to post on the old VegSource board as “Flower” from 2003-2006,

And you're also the of Marla's Marvelous Meals, right?

Welcome! Glad to see your smiling face around here, and thanks for all those recipes from your site. We still use many of them nowadays in our house and I was sad when you stopped updating the site years a few ago. Your Beefless Stew and Shepherd's Pie are to die for!
VeggieSue

Postby Marla » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:20 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
And you're also the of Marla's Marvelous Meals, right?

Hi VeggieSue, yes, that was me :oops:

I don't know why VegSource doesn't delete that site since it hasn't been updated in forever! I don't even have administrative access to it anymore. I have thought about creating a new site and adding more recent recipes to it, but to be honest there are so many amazing low-fat plant-based blogs and websites now, that I don't think the internet needs my 2 cents worth! :lol:

A lot of my old recipes, while technically McD legal, are just too rich for me now, or have too many processed ingredients, or are too high in sodium. But some of them still work and I still make them. Lately my eating style has been similar to the recipes in Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease book. Simple, fresh, and unprocessed.

Thanks for your nice note.
Marla

Postby Marla » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:27 pm

jamietwo wrote:Congratulations on your 100% compliance! Great job and great results! :)

Thanks Jamie. I have found your approach to dealing with your health challenges very inspiring. My mother had breast cancer, and because of that family history (and increased risk) I've had a personal interest in diet and breast cancer for some time. I have appreciated reading your posts about what you've done and what you've learned along the way.
Marla

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:52 am

Marla wrote:A lot of my old recipes, while technically McD legal, are just too rich for me now, or have too many processed ingredients,

Yes, since the early days Dr. McDougall has tweaked the allowable foods list, so things like Gimmelean and Boca Burgers, which were allowed earlier, are now no-no's. And many of us, as we get older, find we have to eat more simple foods for weight loss and better health.

And yes, we do need more sites with McDougall-legal recipes, so if you want to, go ahead and start a blog or other site with your recipes. I'm sure you'll get loads of hits from not just the people here but the Eat 2 Live followers as well as others who frequent sites like Susan V's Fat Free Vegan pages.
VeggieSue

Postby Chile » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:19 am

I agree with Veggie Sue. The more McDougall-legal recipe sites available, the easier it is for people trying to change their eating to do so with ease. Get that blog up and running, and modify your delicious recipes to fit your new guidelines. "Optional" next to ingredients that some can use but you can't (such as salt) is a good way to deal with different diet needs.

I'm so glad you're back, Marla, and wish you the best success in getting your health in order!
Chile

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Thank you for stopping by Chile! You were the friend who encouraged me to put my recipes on the web in the first place. Recently I've been learning how to build sites using Word Press (which is what Susan V uses) so maybe in the future I will do as you suggest :)

Speaking of recipes, I think I need your tomato chutney recipe. I've been craving tomato chutney lately, and tomato-y things tend to taste okay with no salt. I have a tomato chutney recipe too but I want to see if yours is better. :D
Marla

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Yesterday's Food:

Morning drink: Teeccino
    Breakfast - oats with a chopped nectarine and cinnamon
    Lunch - crockpot Yukon gold potato; massive Romaine salad with tons of raw veggies. Dressing was balsamic vinegar, mustard and nutritional yeast.
    Dinner - homemade refried beans (spicy mashed crockpot Peruano beans) on a corn tortilla with lettuce and homemade salsa; corn on the cob; steamed green beans (lots and LOTS of green beans!)

Today I have to do some cooking for the week ahead. I am all out of homemade no-salt ketchup and BBQ sauce, so I will make those (they're quick). I'll post the recipes later too.

I also need to cook some more garbanzos in the crockpot. I use them more than most other beans, and making them from dry is so much cheaper than buying the no-salt canned ones (365 brand) at Whole Foods. None of my local grocery stores carry no-salt beans, except for one high-end grocery that carries Eden brand for over $2 a can....ugh! Anyway, I cook a pound of dry garbanzos at a time and make hummus and veggie burgers right away, then I freeze the rest of the garbanzos in baggies portioned out at 1 1/2 cups. The flattened baggies stack nicely in the freezer and I can pull them out for salads, stews, or more hummus whenever I need them. I freeze a few other kinds of beans this way too.

I did my 5 mile run this morning (with a few little walk breaks thrown in) and decided that is a good distance for me at the moment. My knees and Achilles' tendons warned me to back off when I did a 6 miler last week, so I am listening to their wisdom :nod:

Have a happy day everyone!
Marla

Postby veggielou » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Remember you from the old board also. Welcome back. Would love to see more great recipes.
veggielou

Postby Chile » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Your wish is my command: Hot & Spicy Tomato Chutney recipe. Omit the oil to McDougallize it, and for you the salt's gotta go, too.

While I encouraged you to post your recipes, you are the one who encouraged and supported me in starting my writing years ago. It's all your fault, Marla! :lol: Did you ever think I'd still be writing four years later?! You'd think I'd run outta stuff to say... :roll:

Looking forward to your ketchup recipe. The store-bought ones are too sweet, even the "natural" ones.
Last edited by Chile on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chile

Postby to_our_health » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Marla wrote:Yesterday's Food:

Morning drink: Teeccino
    Breakfast - oats with a chopped nectarine and cinnamon
    Lunch - crockpot Yukon gold potato; massive Romaine salad with tons of raw veggies. Dressing was balsamic vinegar, mustard and nutritional yeast.
    Dinner - homemade refried beans (spicy mashed crockpot Peruano beans) on a corn tortilla with lettuce and homemade salsa; corn on the cob; steamed green beans (lots and LOTS of green beans!)

Today I have to do some cooking for the week ahead. I am all out of homemade no-salt ketchup and BBQ sauce, so I will make those (they're quick). I'll post the recipes later too.

I also need to cook some more garbanzos in the crockpot. I use them more than most other beans, and making them from dry is so much cheaper than buying the no-salt canned ones (365 brand) at Whole Foods. None of my local grocery stores carry no-salt beans, except for one high-end grocery that carries Eden brand for over $2 a can....ugh! Anyway, I cook a pound of dry garbanzos at a time and make hummus and veggie burgers right away, then I freeze the rest of the garbanzos in baggies portioned out at 1 1/2 cups. The flattened baggies stack nicely in the freezer and I can pull them out for salads, stews, or more hummus whenever I need them. I freeze a few other kinds of beans this way too.

I did my 5 mile run this morning (with a few little walk breaks thrown in) and decided that is a good distance for me at the moment. My knees and Achilles' tendons warned me to back off when I did a 6 miler last week, so I am listening to their wisdom :nod:

Have a happy day everyone!

Hi Marla,
I did a reply to you earlier but I don't see that it posted so I'll try again.

I've been reading the boards for years but just starting posting a bit recently. I remember you from the old board and really enjoyed your recipe website...it was so good looking, both the food and the layout! I'd welcome a recipe blog from you and would love to read it.

Garbanzos are mostly the bean I eat and I've started buying the 365 no salt cans. But I wouldn't mind cooking the dry beans if I could make it work. I have an old crockpot with just a manual low/high setting. What brand of dry beans do you use? Do you soak first? How do you cook them? Inquiring (inexperienced) minds would like to know! :)

Thanks!
to_our_health

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Debbie. wrote: I think I've even got a recipe of yours I make for kids, sweet and sour lentils!

Really? I'm glad to hear it! I like that recipe too and I agree it is kid-friendly with the pineapple. I recently made your version of Jeff's veggie burgers with the additional veggies and they were great. :)

Veggielou - thanks for the kind words. Isn't it amazing how many people from the old boards are still here.

Chile, thanks for the tomato recipe! Yours looks much more authentic than mine. Mine has raisins and cinnamon in it. I will give yours a try. LOL at the idea that you will ever run out of things to say. It will be a cold day in Tucson when that happens....wait, Tucson does sometimes have cold days doesn't it? Phooey.
Marla

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:45 pm

to_our_health wrote: I have an old crockpot with just a manual low/high setting. What brand of dry beans do you use? Do you soak first? How do you cook them? Inquiring (inexperienced) minds would like to know! :)

Thanks!

Hi to_our_health!

I have an old crockpot too, with just high and low. It is just the standard size (about 3 quarts). I don't soak my beans -- I find that they get enough of a quick-soak effect as the crockpot heats up. I buy the bulk garbanzos at my regular grocery store (Winco), but I would use any old brand. I'd just try not to buy ones that have been sitting on the shelf too long if possible.

Some people think that soaking reduces the flatulence factor. I haven't found this to be true for me (I don't get much gas regardless), but if you notice a difference then by all means soak them overnight, drain, and proceed. Just reduce the cooking time by about an hour if you soak them.

Here's what I do:

--put a pound of dry garbanzos into the cold crockpot
--cover with water up to the knuckle on my index finger (about 6-7 cups).
--cover and set to high
--check after 4 hours. The timing will depend a lot on your crockpot and somewhat on how old the beans are, so I can't give you an exact time, but when you find your special magic number, write it down :) I have a book called Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker that says to cook soaked beans on high for 8-12 hours :shock: I can't imagine how that would turn out, but maybe some people's slow cookers are that wimpy? Mine gets them nice and soft in about 4 and a half hours. Your mileage may vary.

Then I use what I want at the time, and freeze the rest in can-sized servings (1 1/2 cups). Baggies work well for this.

Let me know how it works out for you if you try it! Soooo much cheaper (and I think they taste better too). The only thing is, sometimes the skins come off during cooking, and sometimes I overcook them (I like them soft), so they aren't always as pretty or as firm as the canned ones. But I am mostly going to smoosh them up anyway so I don't care :D
Marla

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Debbie. wrote:Hey, did you notice we are getting a WF in Folsom soon????? Like some time Sept??? Ive never been and Ive heard it is something to behold. Its right kitty corner to the Costco corner off of hwy 50. I might need a whole afternoon to get lost in there just to check it out. :unibrow:

Debbie! Is that WF open yet?? I wish it was chosen to have one of the new "Wellness Clubs" like they have in Oakland. Maybe someday.

An acquaintance just told me about a store in Roseville called Sprouts: http://sprouts.com/home.php According to her it is like WF but much more affordable. Apparently they have amazing produce, including organic stuff, and all the usual natural food items and healthy products at lower prices than WF. I was surprised that I had never heard of it since it sounds right up my alley. I will be visiting soon to check it out for myself.
Marla

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals