Journal of a Rat

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Journal of a Rat

Postby Rats » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Hello, I'm new here, both in Journals and to the discussion boards. I've tried veganism in the past, for a year or so, but I was a total junk-food vegan. I battle depression, and when it got really bad I gave up eating vegan completely, and subsequently find myself at my highest ever weight. I am 5'1" tall and 215 pounds (today).

I recently got a wake-up call, my recent blood work showed that I have extremely high cholesterol and triglycerides. My doctor is concerned that I could have an imminent gall bladder "attack" and need surgery. I'm also asthmatic, which all the abdominal fat I've accumulated isn't helping one bit. I have PCOS as well. Recently my feet and ankles have begun to swell, my joints all ache, and I am feeling a lot older than 34!

I will begin a Masters program next week after having been out of school for 12 years. It involves an hour commute by car each way. I'm planning on bringing my lunches and snacks every day and avoiding putting any money on my cafeteria card. There is also a small gym I can use and I plan on doing at least 30-40 minutes of something (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical) every morning before classes.

So that's my story. I'd love to be down to my goal weight by the time I'm done with the degree next summer, but I'm ultimately looking to get my cholesterol and trigs down ASAP.

Thanks for reading. :)
SW: 218 lbs/SChol: 428/STrigs: 382
CW: 210 lbs
GW: 118 lbs/GChol: <150/GTrigs: <150
Rats

Re: Journal of a Rat

Postby Rats » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:33 pm

August 19th:

B: cereal with almond milk (hadn't started yet ;) )
L: 2 small steamed yellow potatoes, ~ 1/2 cup steamed collard greens, ~2 cups steamed yellow squash, 3 tsps of fat-free pasta sauce
S: small Jonagold apple
D: ~2/3 cup cooked bulgur, ~ 3/4 cup steamed spinach, 2 steamed/chopped shiitake mushrooms, ~1/3 cup butterbeans

Exercise: walked to 2 cat-sitting jobs and back--30 min. total
Rats

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Rats. Welcome to the forum. I love your little hoody can you tell us about him/her.

Good for you taking control of your health. you will find that you start feeling better really soon.
in 3 weeks if you adhere to the program you should see substantial drops in your cholesterol numbers not to mention you blood sugar and blood pressure. IF they are also issues.

when you remove the dairy your asthema should improve... IF after a few weeks you are still having asthema issues and joint pain you may want to eliminate wheat/gluten and see if it helps.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Rats » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

August 20th:

midnight snack: polenta with a drizzle of agave (hey, it cooks quickly :) )
B: polenta with maple syrup
L: ~1 cup steamed summer squash, 1 small steamed yellow potato, ~1 cup steamed zucchini, 1/2 steamed onion, couple of splurts of fat-free BBQ sauce
D: polenta with maple syrup
S: 1 corn tortilla, bowl of dry cereal (knew it was a bad choice the moment I finished it)

Definitely should have substituted apples for the snacks today, would have felt much more satisfied. Will remember for next time!

Exercise: not much. Running around to cat-sitting jobs but I ended up driving to them. If I'd walked, it would have been a good 4.7 mile walk. May try to do that tomorrow if time is on my side.

According to the scale I'm down another 5 pounds? Seems fast to me but I'll take it!

Having trouble with cravings for sweet things after meals, and wanting to add salt to everything. Gonna try to find a McDougall-acceptable vanilla "milk"shake. That would make me ecstatic.
Last edited by Rats on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rats

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:31 pm

HI Rats be sure to eat plenty of starch to counter act the sweet cravings.

kittyadventures

Postby Rats » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:42 am

Thanks! I'm going to eat more potatoes today and see if that helps.
Rats

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:34 am

IT will plus it takes a couple of weeks for your body to readjust.
pretty soon you will be walking down the candy aisle not wanting anything. it is freeing! And makes you feel awesome.

what is your grey hoody rats name?

kittyadventures

Postby Rosey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 pm

kittyadventures wrote:IT will plus it takes a couple of weeks for your body to readjust.
pretty soon you will be walking down the candy aisle not wanting anything. it is freeing! And makes you feel awesome.

what is your grey hoody rats name?

I agree it is very freeing. I'm enjoying not always wanting the junk food.
Rosey

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning