Amy

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Amy

Postby amyakb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:03 am

Hi everyone. I'm Amy, 38 years old, married with a 15 year old son. I've been struggling with this eating style for almost a year now. I love the plan and can do well on it, but I really struggle doing it by myself. My husband swears he cannot do it and my son follows my husband's lead right now. So last year, I lost 23 lbs in a very short amount of time, but this year, I've let it all creep back on. My husband and I have fallen into some very bad habits with our friends, going out and drinking beer and eating chips and queso or whatever else the bar serves.
Well, I've decided that I just have to go out on my own and do this. I can't use my husband as an excuse anymore. So here goes today! Wish me luck! :D

PS. Doesn't help that reps bring lunch almost every day to my work. Today included!
[/url]
amyakb

Re: Amy

Postby Loveskale » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Welcome Amy! You will find lots of support here!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby amyakb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Loveskale.

Made it through lunch without breaking the MWL guidelines! Woohoo. Some rep even brought a snack of chicken nuggets and yogurt with fruit and chocolate. A co-worker even laid a plate they had made for me in front of me. I just put it away in the fridge for someone else. I don't even want to take food like that home to my son :D
[/url]
amyakb

Postby Rosey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Welcome Amy. Your not alone there are a lot of us on here to back ya. HUGS!!
Rosey

Postby amyakb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am

Well, it sucks to post this, but I fell flat on my face this last weekend. Drank some beer, ate a turkey sandwich, oily noodles with parmesan. I can feel how puffy my body is, my shoes are tight and I had to wear my "fat scrubs" to work today. :crybaby:
On a high note, however, I am on day 2 of not smoking!! :D And, I am ready to get back on track and get serious about my health.
I hope everyone else is doing well!!
[/url]
amyakb

Postby amyakb » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:10 am

OMG! Grilled Portobello! My new favorite (besides asparagus)! It's foods like these that make healthier eating seem doable. I even at a grilled red pepper, which I've never liked and a grilled artichoke...so good! Now, if I can just stay away from movie popcorn tonight.... :D
I'm definitely paying for yesterday, but I feel like I'm getting back on track! Woohooo!
Day 4 not smoking! :unibrow:
[/url]
amyakb

Postby f1jim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Welcome
I used to eat a veggie burger now and then but since discovering portabella burgers that has long since disappeared. Much healthier and tasty too! Enjoy your stay and join the fray.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby amyakb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 am

:) So far, so good this week. Good day Sunday, dropped a couple of pounds, woohoo! I'm really hoping to lose the weight I put back on from last year, and then some. I've been kinda struggling with cravings for fish, which is really strange, but I guess that happens when you fall off the wagon, old habits resurface with a vengeance.

I think I found a quick, but brutal kettlebell routine I'm going to try to master. Haha...wish me luck!

Hope everyone else has a good week, too!
[/url]
amyakb

Postby amyakb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:58 am

Lost another 1.6 lbs. Probably just water weight, but I'll take it!

Quick question: Anyone do better without grains?

Have an awesome day everyone!
[/url]
amyakb

Postby toadfood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 am

Back on plan and you quit smoking? You rock! Keep it up!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby amyakb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks, Toadfood. BTW, love the chicken!!
[/url]
amyakb

Postby amyakb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

Well, this week has been a bit of a bomb. :( My father in law died, so my husband has been really depressed and is having to travel all week for the funeral and for work. My eating has not been so great, but I'm getting back on track and hoping to regain the progress I had made last week. It's so frustrating how quickly I can gain back a few pounds! I'm sure it's a water retention thing, but still makes for a depressing morning after getting off the scale.
[/url]
amyakb

Postby Chile » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:17 am

Amy, I am so sorry for the loss of you father-in-law. Losing a parent is very hard, no matter what the relationship, so treat yourself and your husband with loving kindness right now. Of course, loving kindness includes feeding your body food that best supports its health. All that other stuff sounds appealing in times of stress but I've found it undermines my emotional healing...even though I generally am unable to recognize that at the time.

Hugs, Chile.
Chile

Postby Rosey » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 am

BIG HUGE HUGS!!! Losing family is really tough my condolences your all in my thoughts and prayers. Times like this I remind myself that I need to keep eating healthy and keep exercising to keep myself healthy and the exercise helps distress me.
Rosey

Postby amyakb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm so frustrated! I'm having a very hard time with this. For a year, I've been vegetarian and striving toward vegan for about 7 months, but my results are nil. Granted, my sinuses are clearer than ever and my energy level is much better, but I'm worried I don't have what it takes to do this right. :crybaby: One of the docs I work with went low fat vegan and the change after 2 months is astonishing. I will confess, I'm not exercising. I also struggle with the eating plan. When $$ is low and groceries are sparse, it's hard to make 2 separate dinners for myself and my family. I know the obvious answer is to stop whining and make myself do this. I just don't know where to find the motivation.

How did anyone else do this, especially with no real support at home?
[/url]
amyakb

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning