My Transformation

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Transformation

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:29 pm

8/8/11

Started a gluten-free diet today. I can't eat wheat, barley or rye or anything with gluten. So I have to esp. be careful when going out to eat. The McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program makes it easy to eat this way.

I've also not just re-comitted to the McDougall program, but also I've comitted to veganism, which means I will no longer be buying or cooking meat, poultry or fish for my husband. He's just going to have to figure out what he wants to do about it himself. I have to admit I used to consider ethical veganism sentimental slop, but I understand now why people are so passionate about it. I've seen several videos about animal welfare and while I abhor cruelty, it just didn't really impact me until I saw one by Paul McCartney. There was no weepy eyed sentimentality, no music pulling at my heartstrings, no name-calling---simply the unadulterated facts plain and simple and for some reason that just made me decide as I watched it that we are living in complex times. Animals are treated more cruelly than ever before and there really is no justification for it. We can obtain our food in other ways. I will no longer turn my head away from the cruel practices of the livestock industry.
Gramma Jackie

Re: My Transformation

Postby toadfood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 am

That's wonderful. Good for you!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby simoncat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 am

Yeah, Grandma Jackie!!! Good for you. My hubby knows he has to put up with it too; however, he has reaped the benefits and is getting skinnier too!! The saying, "do unto others, as you would have them do unto you", probably applies to the animals just as well - maybe even more because they cannot speak for themselves.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby Rosey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:47 pm

HUGS!!! Welcome back.
Rosey

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks everyone. The biggest temptation with eating gluten-free is that there are a lot of gluten-free products in my local grocery store just down the street and most of them are high calorie.

The hardest thing about going vegan is my hubby loves his steak. In fact he just bought himself a new grill this summer. Fortunately he also likes grilled veggies. I have a special skillet that I put sliced zucchini and onions in and it cooks right on the outdoor grill. We both also love grilled corn on the cob. Yummy! :-D
Gramma Jackie

Postby janluvs2heel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Seems like if you just ate the food that comes in it's own wrapper, like potatoes, etc., you would easily be gluten free & not have to worry about being tempted by the high calorie phony foods down the street.

Good luck with that though!!
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm

janluvs2heel wrote:Seems like if you just ate the food that comes in it's own wrapper, like potatoes, etc., you would easily be gluten free & not have to worry about being tempted by the high calorie phony foods down the street.

Good luck with that though!!

That is very true. :nod: And it's a lot cheaper too.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Had an appointment with a nutritionist this morning to talk about my eating plan. This is going to be tough. No wheat, rye or barley (all of which I love) and only GF oats. Nothing with malt, caramel coloring or flavoring and nothing with brown rice syrup (?). So essentially no packaged foods including some that are allowed on MWL. She also said she was concerned about me not eating any meat or dairy. :(
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby jamietwo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Too bad all nutritionists aren't as well-versed in healthy eating as Jeff Novick is!

Gluten-free is an adjustment, but it gets easier with time. You actually have an advantage since you're following MWL! What "allowed foods" are you missing?
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:57 pm

jamietwo wrote: What "allowed foods" are you missing?

Barley and bulgar. There are several McDougall recipes that call for those. Another is soy sauce which I like to use in my asian dishes. But I can live without them. Oh and I have to be careful to use only pure spices as wheat is used as a filler in some spices, esp spice mixes. Same with store-bought salad dressing. I have never made my own salad dressing, but I guess I will have to learn how.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:53 am

Debbie. wrote:Why not try new grains? Millet, quinoa, and the old stand by brown rice.

Replace soy sauce with tamari. It also comes low sodium and is wheat free. Braggs is also wheat and gluten free. Really can't tell the difference.

321 dressings are really good and to make the dressing stick, sprinkle with a small amount of nutritional yeast which is also gluten free.

Just a few ideas for you. I know others will have more:)

Thanks. I just found some Bob's Red Mill millet in my local grocer. I have always used brown rice. I love it, although my husband doesn't like it. :\
I think I also saw some tamari in the Kosher food section. So I will check to see if they still have it. I've never use it before. The grocery store I shop at is remodeling and expanding it's health food section and has quite a bit of gluten-free food now. Unfortunately it is not on the MWL plan, but maybe some day after I lose weight I will be able to eat the gluten-free bread and pasta.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 am

I've lost 2 lbs. since Monday. I had originally lost 10 lbs., then gained 5 back after going on a gluten-challenge for my celiac tests. So now I am trying to lose that and continue on until I am at my goal weight which will take awhile. My digestion is still bad, but it seems my skin rash has cleared up. Yay! :-D
Gramma Jackie

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Gramma Jackie Yay weight loss... and you will feel better and better.. when you get to the 3 week mark of gluten free you will really start to feel so much better.

also to try Lundberg Rices./. they have all different mixes of rice all gluten free and processed on gluten free dedicated machinery.

THey have a lovely red rice mix.. and I love their golden rose rice soooo yummy.

Quinoa is yummy too. and
if you can find puffed millet for breakfast cereal i love it with a ton of fresh fruit with it.

You will find your whole range of grains atually opens up when you are not using wheat.
I personally love buckwheat. as a grain it has a strong flavor but as a flour ohhhh so yummy.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am

I've lost 2 more lbs. for a total of 4 lbs. in one week. I am shocked! :eek: I wasn't really trying that hard and was really eating a lot of food, but all on plan.

Hubby and I went to see Midnight in Paris yesterday. It's a charming little Woody Allen movie about a guy who goes to Paris with his fiancee' and her parents. He is more in love with Paris than his girlfriend and every night as he walks the streets of Paris he is taken back in time and meets famous artists and authors. It's a fun movie. We went out to eat at a French Bakery/Bistro afterwards and I was a good girl and stayed on plan. I had a wonderful salad with artichoke hearts and hearts of palm in it and no dressing (didn't need any) and onion soup. They used to put the bread and cheese on top of the onion soup, so I was delighted yesterday to find that it was optional and so I just had the "naked" soup which was was delicious. Plain water to drink out of a wine glass. Ah Paris!
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:24 am

I am finding this way of eating difficult since I get no support at home. While my husband could care less how I eat, he still wants me to cook the way he likes, which means bacon and eggs for breakfast and a big meat based meal for supper almost every night. I am alone all day long everyday without a car, so I like to eat supper with my husband. It's almost the only socializing I get. All my neighbors work and I am retired w/o transportation. There isn't even any public transporation out in the suburbs where we live. I used to have a car, but when my husband's car broke down last year he started taking mine to work. Since I'm retired he doesn't think I need one. So----like I said I like to eat supper with my husband instead of alone. My husband works very hard all day and doesn't get home until almost 7 pm and is too tired to make his own supper, so I cook for him. It's the least I can do. I am trying to incorporate more plants in his meals. He does enjoy vegetables, but not all-veggie suppers. He will eat an all veggie supper about once a week and then he wants meat all the other times. So I am really struggling. :-(
Gramma Jackie

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals