Check in

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Check in

Postby Birdy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Yesterday I celebrated seven months of being vegan with some mess ups, but overall very good. As Doug Lisle writes, perfection is not our friend. I've never been able to stick to any diet ever, so to have followed a vegan diet about 98% for seven months is genuinely significant for me and says a lot about the value of the plant based diet. Lots of room for improvement granted. It's a process.

I'm feeling very good physically. Blood pressure has gone down and stayed down with only a half dose of the usual lowest dose. I feel calmer and sleep better. Our family recently participated in Relay for Life to raise funds for the American Cancer Society and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I found that even late at night walking around the high school track where the event was held was no problem - I had plenty of energy.

This way of eating and the renewed energy has given me the motivation to start or continue some meaningful things this coming year: continuing to sing with a local chorale and undertaking a four-year seminar class that meets one evening a week. On the subject of singing, my voice seems to have improved since I've gone vegan, probably because of less congestion.

I recently purchased two books from Dr. McDougall's store and look forward to reading them. Will post again after reading.

Happy Summer!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning