Newcomer needing ideas...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Newcomer needing ideas...

Postby Deb from BC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Height 5'7"
Weight 250 pounds (sigh)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:crybaby:

Day #1

Went to farmer's market. Made quinoa salad (yummy but need ideas for oil-free dressings) I made the shepherds pie as well. It was good but a lot of work and I kind of wrecked it by adding too much broth.
I even went swimming today.

Day #2
Read a lot on the boards. Ate leftovers. No exercise today - what is my problem? Why do I struggle so much with exercise?

Day # 3

Currently making fried rice filled with veggies. Feeling tired. I cheated and had cheese and stone-ground whole wheat crackers. Need ideas on what can replace my extra old cheese and crackers. Also need ideas for sweet cravings. What do you MWL-ers do to satisfy your sweet tooth? The only thing I found on the discussion boards is the sweet potato/apple dish. Would really like something sweet and crunchy or sweet and chewy...

No exercise yet today...it's only 4 pm though so there's still hope...

Thank you for reading this. I'm excited about the program - I really am - but I'm also scared that it will end up being like all the rest - just one more attempt to lose weight that didn't work.

I really want this to be the program that helps me get healthy.

Deb
Deb from BC

Re: Newcomer needing ideas...

Postby Hamster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm

No exercise today - what is my problem?

You don’t have a problem, apart from being a normal human being. My guess is that like me you spent decades being fairly inactive. Several years ago I found walking ½ a mile to be task and a mile required serious huffing and puffing :-( .

My suggestion is to find an activity you can do everyday. Nothing actually strenuous but something that involves movement, my favourites are simple walking and cycling. There are of course many other possibilities. The intensity should be such that you can continue to hold a conversation and for a duration that leaves you feeling tired but not exhausted. In the morning there may be a little muscle stiffness that rapidly passes.

My advice is to start with whatever is comfortable and then to gradually increase the duration of your exercise but not the intensity. Intense exercise leads to muscle pain and risks injury. Of course as the duration increases so will the intensity but this increase will be natural and not forced.

Rather than exercise try to think of ways you can build activity into your normal day. My daily ride to the station (30 kms return) isn’t exercise it’s just how I get to work.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Postby carollynne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:12 pm

HI, and welcome to the McDougalling WOE...
Try the 3-2-1 dressing for any salad, or anything, there is a search line to find any of the recipes here. IT is a combo of sweetener, like honey or all fruit spread, and mustard and vinegar, in equal parts, like a tablespoon, or teaspoon. I like raspberry all fruit, and whole grain mustard, and balsamic V. OR bottom of the jam jar dressing. Put mustard and V in jar and close lid and shake away.
the sweet cravings will recede and go away, but it will be a while, maybe 2 wks, and they will disappear altogether. Just do not give up.
For exercise I started out by walking my dog around the house and yard, a few times, and then would rest, and then do it again and again.
Do something simple like walking up and down the aisles in Walmart or some store. Go early when it is empty there.
Keep writing and let us know your progress, the wt will fall off when you are a strict WML McDougaller!! In fact they have their own thread and the guidelines are all there!
Good luck!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Welcome to McDougalling :nod: Don't give up, please give yourself a chance...this is not like any other diet...I'm 68 and I've tried them all :nod: I am sooo happy to not be hungry as with previous plans. This is just a great way to live. I keep at least 5 pounds of boiled potatoes in the refrig for snacking. I also have brown rice available, plus carrots, greens, etc. I love Jeff's SNAP meals...you could do a search if you're interested in them...Simple, Nutritious,Affordable Plan. :nod:
Gypsy

Postby Adrienne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Here are some more salad dressing ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23062

Also just to correct Carollynne, the 3-2-1 dressing is 3 parts vinegar, 2 parts mustard and 1 part sweetener.
Adrienne

Postby sksamboots » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi :D !! I am so glad you are here. I believe in keeping it as simple as possible. So is what I do. Remember --simple is the key

Breakfast: Oatmeal with some kind of fruit
Lunch: baked potato, 1/2 can of beans, and a salad
Dinner: Vegetable soup with added rice and beans

Keep it simple

Here are some more ideas like SNAP which is a very good place to start

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7168

Exercise. Keep it simple. I started out by walking 5 minutes a day!!! And then I added 5 minutes each month until eventually I was walking further and further and now I'm running.

You can do this. We all support you :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Hamster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Exercise. Keep it simple. I started out by walking 5 minutes a day!!! And then I added 5 minutes each month until eventually I was walking further and further and now I'm running.

That is positively brilliant. By my figuring over the course of the first year you would have walked just under 1,000 kms, burnt 64,300 calories (equivalent to 18 ½ pounds of fat). Starting small, regularly increasing the duration and being consistent is the key. In the second year without any further increases would mean a total distance of 1,825 kms and 118,600 calories (equivalent to 34 pounds of fat).

I am firmly of the view that a little done often is far better than a lot done seldom. I believe that the trick is to not exercise but to have an active lifestyle.
Maximum weight 128.5 kg
Minimum weight 83.0 kg
Weight after falling off the wagon 95.9 kg
Current weight 92.8 kg (and falling)

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
Hamster

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning