Bunso's Eating on the Cheap

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bunso's Eating on the Cheap

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 am

Hey. Yesterday evening, out of the blue, I decided to figure out how much my food had cost. I did a little bit of math and added it all up, to three meals (all three meals were identical) for about $1.68. Each meal consisted of potatoes, salad greens, and Mary McD's Fresh Tomato salad dressing. All of the food was bought VERY inexpensively at the discount store, except the fresh tomatoes, which were .69c a lb at the produce stand.

Well, it got me thinking. I did really well in the second half of June, eating super simple: oatmeal, rice, veggies, beans. Lost some weight, ate what I already had in my pantry, etc. And, then payday came and I got thinking I was rich and ate some rich(er) foods and had a quite large meal for July 4th. I recognized where my "I've got money! Now I can eat whatever!" thinking was leading me.

1) I don't "have money." I am broke, but with a paycheck and a certain amount available for food...ehem...I bought healthy food, but I've been eating more of everything (not conserving, not saving some for later, etc)

2) eating simply and following a pretty monotonous diet is good for my spirit as well as my body.

with that in mind, to discipline myself in the area of eating very simply, I'm going to emulate Katydid and try to keep my eating under $3.00 per day.

Yesterday's grand total was $1.68 ish...

Today I had quinoa which is pricey at $3.50 a lb bulk. so my brekkie cost me $2.26...:shock: (one cup of cooked quinoa=$1.71) edit: I ate one HALF cup, not a whole cup, bringing my brekkie cost to 1.41 YAY! edit again: I figured out that one cup of COOKED quinoa is .59 c, which brings that meal down again but I'm not going to refigure it again. But it IS cheaper

this means I have to make it under .75c for lunch and dinner combined! :eek:

I can do it, though. Back to yesterday's meals of potatoes, salad greens, and dressing...or, if need be, JUST the greens, or JUST the potatoes.

I made a bunch of quinoa, which will be saved in the fridge, and I can make that one cup stretch over three meals which brings the cost down to .57c (whew. much better) BUT NOT UNTIL TOMORROW!
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Bunso's Eating on the Cheap

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:09 am

YESTERDAY'S MEALS:

for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I ate the same meal:

Baked potatoe(s); salad; fresh tomato dressing

The potatoes are a 10# of russets, for $1.38. This makes them
.14c a pound. At 1/4 lb per potato, I pay about .03c per potato.

a sack of greens is .69c at the discount grocery where I bought them.

the salad dressing consists of

tomatoes: .69c a lb (I used 1/2 lb of tomatoes for .35c)
onion: .10c per each (I used half, for .05c)
1 clove garlic: ~.04 c
1 TBSP honey: ~.06
dash smoked paprika... ~.05c

so the whole recipe of salad dressing cost me about .55c for just under a quart. I used 1/4 c of dressing each meal. which comes to .05c

so...

1/2 bag of greens= .35c
1-2 potatoes = .03-.06
salad dressing = .05
total for one meal .43-.46c

for three meals, then, I paid no more than $1.38...wow. thank you, God for discount grocery stores. The only food in all of that, not from the discount store, was the tomatoes, at the produce stand for .69c a lb.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 am

Wednesday, July 6

BREKKIE:
edited because I ate 1/2 c not a whole cup of quinoa!
hashbrowns; quinoa, tomatoes, onion; salad greens

.20c Hashbrowns= 2 potatoes @ .10c ea
.85c per half cup quinoa= 1 cup @ 1.71/cup
.15c tomatoes=1/4 [email protected]/lb
.05c onion=1/2 @ .10 ea
.15 salad greens=1/4 [email protected]/bag
$1.40

LUNCH: (planned)
.35 1/2 bag greens
.03 1 potato
.03 2 TBSP dressing
.41c

(actual)
.15 1/4 bag greens
.06 2 potatoes
.01 1 TBSP dressing
.22c

DINNER: (planned)
.35 1/2 bag greens
.05 dressing
20c hashbrowns (2 potatoes)
=.05c1/2 onion
.60c
add ketchup for ~02c and that makes dinner .27c
If I eat as planned, adding it all up it comes to $2.41

(actual)
.44c 2 rice cakes
.96c 1/4 c almond meal
.40c baby carrots
$1.80

ACTUAL TOTAL FOR THE DAY:
$3.42

dinner was the expensive meal, and I ate it because it was convenient and i was very hungry. It was also "expensive" calorie-wise.

and I've already learned a valuable lesson: stretch the expensive item over all three meals. :|

I'm excited about this! I think it will teach me a lot about frugality, simplicity, humility, budget wisdom, and I can't imagine any healthier way of eating.

going to do this all through July. $3.00 or less, for me (my kids will prolly eat somewhat more expensive...maybe....)

ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN THE POTATO PRICES:

the russets, which I have baked, were .13c a lb, and one potato is 1/4 or less which comes to about .03c a potato.

the reds, which I hashbrown, were .10 per potato. This also makes me realize I can choose per pound prices that are cheaper BY FAR than per item prices.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 pm

deb I hear you on remembering the prices. I used a little bit of red-wine vinegar in the quinoa and tomato mixture this morning, but I have no idea how much the 2 or 3 tbsp might have cost......I may check it out, though. I bought a gallon of the stuff at Costco and could easily find out by going there and checking :)

I figured out the watermelon I bought on Monday: .12 a slice. Not too bad. But I wish I'd bought more of the 3/$3.00 mini melons I saw at the produce stand...hm, they might not turn out all that more cheap.

Once I have a list of the various foods in the house, a per oz price, I'll be able to figure out the cost of meals easily. It'll mean a trip to a store or two, with a list and pen in hand.

I did this many years ago, where I knew how much my most common groceries cost at various stores, and kept a log book, so if something went on sale I knew right away if it was really a good buy or not.

This is less complicated, but it's tweaking my Geek Genes nicely. Feels like a cool project for July. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 am

Today's Meals (Planned)

B: cheezy steel cut oats with spinach, 2 servings

.38c cup= steel cut oats
.24c oz = dried tomatoes
.43c oz = nooch yeast
.12c = frozen spinach 1/2c

1.08 for the whole recipe, which made into four cups of food. I ate half of the batch for

.64c

add leftover hash browns from yesterday, about 1 potato's worth for .10c and it cost me

.74c total for breakfast. :D

LUNCH: (planned)
.70c quinoa tomato salad
.35c leafy greens
.03c fresh tomato dressing
$1.08 for lunch

DINNER: (planned)
.64c cheezy steel cut oats w/spinach
.35c leafy greens
.03c salad dressing
1.02 for dinner

add .08 for a slice of whole wheat bread (100% whole wheat) with 2 tsp of strawberry jam (free)

GRAND TOTAL FOR THE DAY $2.86 !!!!! :D :D :D

and I passed up a rice cake that would have cost .22c simply because the cost of the snack was not worth the pretty much lack of flavor and dryness of the snack :thumbsup:

COULD BE a grand total of $2.78 for the day. We'll see how things go by the end of the day. When i come home hungry, I munch. :roll:
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby nomikins » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:51 am

Buns, I'm enjoying seeing how well you are eating on the cheap. I'm working through my pantry and freezer as well. Not tracking the cost, but I'm not going to the store everyday! It's making a difference in the budget this week. That and not going out to eat everynight is going to be a nice thing for the bank account this week. And the scale, too! :-D
nomikins

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 am

Just figured something out. Quinoa is $3.52 a lb at winco. Doing the math, it comes to 1.72 per cup, dry.

BUT, when you cook a cup of quinoa with three cups of water, it makes three cups of cooked food, and that brings it down to .58c a cup for COOKED quinoa. I'll adjust accordingly.

HEY NOM! thanks for dropping by

Eating from the stores in your own pantry is SO frugal. :) We did it in June, and depleted our canned beans...but we'll get them back in stock again soon.

good to have you back posting again.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby nomikins » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 am

I have been cooking up various types of beans and then freezing in can size portions (just over 1.5 cups). This enables me to have non salted beans available, wayyyyy cheaper than hunting them down at the store.
nomikins

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:43 am

simply wonderful idea nomikins; thanks for helping me consider the possibilities. I wish I woulda done it myself but the "thanks" goes to you.
StarchBeet

Postby RAS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Bunns. I too am enjoying watching you streeeeeeeetch the budget.I have one question though. Does the rest of the family eat the stuff you buy and prepare.? Though my gs eats pretty much like I do but there are things he won't eat,and since he is in a growing spurt (age 9) he eats a lot at meals and hungry an hour later.fruits get pricey and spoil if not eaten(sp)and some times rice as a snack just doesn't cut it!!! :roll: RAS Good Topic you and Kate are doing/did.
RAS

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:17 pm

nomikins wrote:I have been cooking up various types of beans and then freezing in can size portions (just over 1.5 cups). This enables me to have non salted beans available, wayyyyy cheaper than hunting them down at the store.

yes, I was in Winco the other day, their bulk section has good prices on a zilllion varieties of bean by the pound...I'm planning on making my own black beans, cannellini, and garbanzos. :nod: that'll make my meals even cheaper! yay!

on that note, today I passed on a rice cake, because it was .22c and I didn't think I could "afford" it. How's THAT for keeping on plan! ha!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 pm

RAS wrote:Hi Bunns. I too am enjoying watching you streeeeeeeetch the budget.I have one question though. Does the rest of the family eat the stuff you buy and prepare.? Though my gs eats pretty much like I do but there are things he won't eat,and since he is in a growing spurt (age 9) he eats a lot at meals and hungry an hour later.fruits get pricey and spoil if not eaten(sp)and some times rice as a snack just doesn't cut it!!! :roll: RAS Good Topic you and Kate are doing/did.

In June, when my entire food budget was 75.00, my 16 y.o. daughter made most of her meals out of canned beans, corn, and tomatoes that were in the pantry. My 18 y.o. son will eat potato and greens type food, but won't touch canned tomatoes or beans.

Once payday came and I bought some frozen burritos and "munchy" stuff...that's what she has been eating. :lol: so, the food budget for the whole family is more than $3.00 a day, but I could extrapolate my costs over three people and figure it out if they WERE eating my foods.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:44 am

FRIDAY, JULY 8

B:
.25c crockpot roasted reds w/onion and garlic
.10c 1/2 red pepper
.03c dressing
.38c

L: (planned)
1.14 for two servings quinoa salad
.35 spring greens
.03 dressing (if I need it. prolly not)

D: ??? dunno yet. Either my oat recipe and greens, or the quinoa salad and greens, plus a potato or two if needed.

D: (actual)
FREE baked corn tortilla chips
.20 for 1/2 c salsa

GRAND TOTAL FOR FRIDAY: $2.10 :D :D :D

and I'm sitting here trying to remember if I ate anything else, but I really think the chips and salsa filled me up so I didn't eat anything after about 6pm. huh.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 am

Made a Rainbow Quinoa Salad just now. It has quinoa, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red cabbage, green onion, and balsamic vinaigrette.

COST:

1.77 3 c cooked quinoa
.33 for 1/3 head red cabbage
.25 for 1/2 red bell pepper
.25 for one whole yellow pepper
.21 for three green onions

.40 for 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
.12 for 3 cloves garlic
.06 for 1 TBSP honey
.04 for 1 TBSP dijon
3.43 for six servings (at least!) of salad

this makes it .57 per serving