Nomikins is BACK

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins is BACK

Postby Chile » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:49 am

Good going on the walking and jogging! I guess I need to get off my butt, and off this forum, and go ride my bike around the block before it gets hot. Oh shoot, I gotta feed the dogs, too - brekkie's 20 minutes late!
Chile

Postby nomikins » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Well, it's a MM kind of day today. I telecommuted and just made things easy on myself. I love my veggie soup and can eat it cold or hot. I ate it cold after my very caliente walk/jog this morning.

Gonna go to REI and spend some money after dinner and then take another walk at the mall in the A/C.

Tomorrow's heat index is 115. And, it is NOT a dry heat! :duh:
nomikins

Postby Chile » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Yeah, I can't even get any sympathy complaining about our usual heat here, what with your icky heat wave. Any sign it will cool down soon? I can get out and bike here if I do it early enough; not having super-high humidity really helps.

Cold soup, though? Nope, can't do that except for gazpacho.
Chile

Postby nomikins » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Chile, the veggie soup is tomato based, so maybe that counts? dunno

Well, DH and I went to the local mall last night and walked four laps. Found out it's 2.5 miles. So my walk total yesterday was about six miles. Yay me.

This morning, I was out the door before the sun came up and logged about 3.7 miles. DH walked with me. Soooo humid. It was already 91 by 9:30. Yowza.... I didn't want to get up at 5AM today, but I'm glad I did, and it wasn't hard to wake up once I got moving along. I'm going to try to get up at 4:30 tomorrow and see if I can do a little longer. Then, Saturday, I'm out the door by 5 AM for some serious miles. Inside by 7AM. Can't wait for this heat to break so I can start running again. I just don't FEEL like running in the high humidity and extreme heat. It's the humidity that does me in. :duh:

The scale is not moving much, in spite of all the walking and simple mwl eating. Maybe it's the sodium in the condiments. It will all level out, because I know I'm eating right and not excessive quantities.

B - coffee w/ 1 T. creamer, baked potato wedges w/mustard, veggie soup
L - baked potato wedges w/mustard, veggie soup
D - some type of mashed potato/broccoli patties, steamed green beans, mushroom gravy
S - oatmeal "pudding" (cold oats with soymilk and maple syrup)

It's a good day for cold watermelon, so I'll get one of those on the way home.
I'll come back and edit for the full dinner later.
Last edited by nomikins on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomikins

Postby Chile » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I have not been exercising regularly in the past few days. It's partly the heat and being really busy, but I think more it's that my DH is sick so we haven't been setting the alarm for so early. Then when I do get up, I don't want to leave in case he needs me to put together a breakfast or lunch he can tolerate. Hopefully he's going to start getting better soon and we can get back to our exercise schedule.

Sadly there are no close malls for walking, but I may go to the gym today (still have the membership) just to get a quick workout in.
Chile

Postby nomikins » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 am

I'm a bit frustrated. My eating has been 100% on plan, and about 99% MWL compliant. Didn't add salt to my food, but did have some normal condiments (which I normally do and still lose weight). Exercised everyday this week, and drinking my water. The scale ain't budging. Not even close to TOM. I did some poking around the internets, and maybe the extreme heat is causing a degree of water retention. I dunno. Just gonna keep on keeping on.

It was already 100 at 10:25 AM. It's pretty rough out there! :eek:
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:23 am

Did a sweltering 3.5 mile power walk this morning at 5:20 AM. I am so grateful for A/C. It was 80 degrees at 5AM !

B - Coffee with 1 T. creamer
L - broccoli cuts with TJs no salt fire roasted salsa, cold spuds
D - Fiesta! Tacos de papa (mashed potato tacos), ff refried beans, shredded lettuce, chopped onions, salsa casera, cilantro, water fried peppers and mushrooms, 3 corn tortillas, homemade horchata - This dinner hit the spot.
Last edited by nomikins on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomikins

Postby Chile » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:21 am

Sometimes the scale doesn't budge for me even when I'm doing everything right. Sometimes, it does after I've taken a day off exercising because my body said it needed to (not because a rest day was scheduled) and sometimes it has also budged when I've eased up on my strictness. Don't ask me why, but this is my experience.

And by easing up on my strictness, I don't mean goin' out for a cheeseburger, fries, and chocolate shake. I mean not eating potatoes when on Mary's Mini or maybe going out for Chinese food with brown rice but still a little oil in the sauce.

What I've gathered from this is that I should listen to my body. I have to be careful that it's my body talking, not cravings that are unhealthy or laziness, though.

Sorry for your awful heat wave. With the humidity, it's got to be freakin' miserable! :angry:
Chile

Postby nomikins » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Chile, I've had the same experience. Maybe I need to switch it up? I did have a little Mexican inspired dinner (I think your blog post had a subliminal influence on me.) :)

It was 103 at 5PM, and now at 8:45 PM, it's still a soggy 95. If it goes down to 80 overnight, I'll be surprised. Tomorrow may be a rest day for the outdoor exercise.
nomikins

Postby Loveskale » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:25 pm

The heat is bad here too.

I LOVE your mexican menu. Tell me more about these mexican mashed potatoes!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Anna Green » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi. I see you doing your thang! Good for you. Love seeing you here again. It is so hard to run in this heat! Today I ran (not jogged :-D ) because it rained a bit and cooled off some. I crunched ice before I left and put some in my sports bra. It helped.

As far as the loss goes, it'll happen. As you said, just keep doing what you are doing.
Anna Green

Postby Loveskale » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Wow, ice in the sports bra does not sound fun for me. :lol: But if it works...
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Chile » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 am

Yowza! I don't think I could do ice there, either. But I do like the neck thing I have with water-retaining moisture crystals in it. You soak it in cold water and it plumps up. Keeps me cool for a while.

Any of you runners do the ice or ice water foot baths after a run? I tried that twice and could not do it. It was so incredibly painful to me that it wasn't worth the potential benefits.
Chile

Postby sksamboots » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:50 pm

hey,

how are you doing? Don't get too caught up in not losing this week. We all have weeks like this. It's just apart of the plan. All we can do is keep on moving forward and stay on plan no matter what :nod:
sksamboots

Postby nomikins » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:57 am

Going offline this week - see y'all in August!

Just need a technology break to focus on the real world and maintain my gainful employment. :)
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals