Erin's MWL journal :)

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Erin's MWL journal :)

Postby erin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

This is my first time attempting the MWL. I have been pretty much McDougalling for the last 10 years but the last 2 years of school have been stressful and intense and as a result I left with not only a nutrition degree but also 10 extra pounds, lol :). My husband is also doing MWL and hopes to lose ~ 40 pounds of fat. This is day 3 of MWL and so far so good.

B: Hashbrowns, oatmeal
S: Caramel rice cakes (3)
L: Brown rice, steamed broccoli
S: Gala apple
D: Baked yukon gold, salad w/fatfree dressing
S: Banana

Probably a cup of herbal tea before bed :). I normally do not snack this much but I will be at work until pretty late and it gives me something to look forward to at break time.
erin

Re: Erin's MWL journal :)

Postby erin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:31 am

Okay, so I learned a few lessons yesterday.
1) if you give up coffee and tea, replace them with other fluids
2) eat slowly
3) trapped gas and constipation can cause pain that is so intense you think your kidneys are failing
4) vomiting cranberry juice is not so bad

About fifteen minutes into my shift yesterday I started having pain in my back and nausea. I thought that maybe I was a bit dehydrated so I drank a bottle of cranberry juice to see if it would help. It did not. The pain escalated and after about 3 hours of pure torture I knew I had to go to immediate care. They took blood and x-rays. The x-rays showed a huge gas bubble toward the top of my abdominal cavity. The pain, nausea, and vomiting went on until like eleven o'clock last night when I finally fell a sleep. Today, so far so good but I haven't eaten yet. I will update later today.

~ erin
erin

Postby erin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 pm

so yesterday went fine, yay! esting was a bit out of whack because of a family party but overall not too awful.

B: oatmeal
S: banana
L: fat free pasta salad and a sourdough roll at the picnic
D: broccoli and onions with fatfree vegan queso, 2 hash brown patties

exercise: 30 minute brisk walk

Here is today's plan:

B: Shredded wheat w/ rice milk
L: Hash browns, salad w/ *dressing
D: sweet potato, baked beans, steamed spinach

Note: The dressing is one I make from tamari, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, and lite tofu. The nutritional yeast and tofu add 6 grams of fat to the entire recipe which makes like 24 servings.

exercise: 4-mile brisk walk
Last edited by erin on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
erin

Postby erin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Still working on replacing some of the calorie dense foods I have gotten used to over the last few years. I think I will just use up the "non-MWL but still fat free foods" that we currently have in the house. Hubby and I are both doing pretty well with not giving in to impulse. For example, last night we hung out with some of our close friends and even though the guys had a cigar my husband resisted the hereto-for requisite glass of red wine. That may sound like it's no big deal but for him it is a milestone and reinforced for me that he is truly on board with long term McDougalling.

Here is how todays food has played out so far:

Pre-gym snack: 1/2 ww bagel with fruit spread, herbal tea
B: Oatmeal w/ brown sugar
S: carrots, strawberries, rice cake
L: Brown jasmine rice and steamed broccoli

I also drank a decaf americano w/soymilk throughout my shift at the food bank this morning.

Plans for dinner are polenta and black beans with fat free marinara and steamed asparagus.

Exercise: weight lifting this morning and hopefully a nice long walk this evening.

Have a wonderful day :)!
erin

Postby sksamboots » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Hey,

looks like a good start :nod:
sksamboots

Postby erin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:22 am

thanks sksamboots :). i am happy with my own progress but my husband is doing even better ;)))! his starting weight was 224 a little over a week ago and this morning he was down to 217. thats 7 pounds in 7 days :shock: ! we both know that it is mostly from lost water and glycogen, but it really adds to the motivation to stay on track. i think a big factor for him was giving up alcohol. he is a pretty burly guy and had no trouble downing a whole pint of crown royal and not even showing it.

i'm hoping that when we go for blood tests next month his cholesterol will be back in the healthy zone.

food plan for today is:

pre-run snack: 1/2 ww english muffin with fruit spread
B: oatmeal with a few raisins and 1 tsp brown sugar
S: hashbrowns
L: salad, sweet potato, baked beans
S: apple, rice cake
D: black beans and spanish rice w/ pico de gallo
erin

Postby sksamboots » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

You are both doing great. Great to have your hubby on plan too. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby erin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Workout this morning was awesome. I worked out pretty hard and it felt effortless, definitely a benefit to always being "carb loaded" :D !

Todays food:

pre-workout snack: 1.2 ww english muffin w/ fruit spread, blueberry tea
B: oatmeal w/ a few raisins and 1 tsp brown sugar
L: brown rice, steamed veggies
D: (at work) baked yukon gold, more steamed veggies

I may have a piece of fruit or a cup of berries if I'm hungry when I get home tonight.

~ erin
erin

Postby erin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 am

Went for a 30 min walk/run this morning with mount rainier as a stunningly vivid backdrop :). I would have taken a picture to share if i had thought of it. I didn't realize how much I had missed running but for me it is by far the most enjoyable exercise.

Here is todays meal plan:

Pre-workout snack: slice of ww toast with blackberry jam, mango tea
B: 1/2 baked acorn squash w/brown sugar, fresh blueberries
L: homemade veggie chili, salad
S: probably a couple of carrots
D: (at work) mcdougall teriyaki noodle meal over steamed veggies
S: maybe some air-popped popcorn w/ braggs and nutritional yeast

Hope the weather is as beautiful everywhere as it is in Seattle right now :)!

~ erin
erin

Postby Teresa1986 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 am

You are doing great Erin!! Remember when you are looking at your loses compared to your hubby he has more to lose so he will lose more per week. I have to remind myself of this all the time. You inspired me to get back to running as well. Day 1 of running today. =)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHMutQn/]
Teresa1986

Postby erin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Thank you Teresa1986, I am actually glad that Jeff is losing at a faster rate than me for lots of reasons, lol. 1) He has more to lose. 2) His weight is right around his belly which worries me. 3) His cholesterol is not so great (225 TC). and 3) I am afraid if he doesn't have some consistent loss to encourage him he will throw in the towel and I really like having him on board with me.

I am glad you started running again :)! How was it?

~ erin
erin

Postby erin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Today has been a great day but very strange food-wise. We have decided that Sundays will be our day to have refined grains as long as we keep the total fat for the day under 10%.

Pre-workout snack: slice ww bread w/blackberry jam, dcaf coffee w/ 2 T vanilla soymilk
B: starbucks oatmeal w/ brown sugar and 1/2 the dried fruit pkt, a few drinks of jeff's soy mocha
S: 1/2 package of pretzels (out shopping)
L: vegetable soup, 2 thick slices of french bread
S: cucumber slices (YUM!), hashbrowns
D: scrambled tofu, red potato wedges, steamed kale
S: movie night so maybe air-popped popcorn w/ braggs and nutritional yeast OR strawberry sorbet

Exercise: 5 mile very brisk walk (we averaged a 4mph pace today :)!)
erin

Postby erin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:42 am

In the interest of full disclosure and keeping myself honest I will post my July 4th FLOG:

Pre-run snack: slice of ww toast w/blackberry jam, coffee w/vanilla soymilk
B: a few sips of Jeff's soy mocha
L: Vegan pho (vegetable only), 1 fresh tofu spring roll w/ hoisin sauce
S: roughly half of a venti coconut mocha soy frappucino
D: California burger on ww bun w/ mustard and veggies, fat free pasta salad, corn on the cob, non-alcoholic beer

This is about as far off track as I ever want to go :/.

Todays Flog:

Pre-workout snack: slice of ww toast w/blackberry jam, coffee w/ 2T vanilla soymilk
B: oatmeal
S: hashbrowns
L: baked yukon gold potatoes
S: salad w/ fat free dressing
D: veggie chili, steamed veggies

exercise: hill intervals
erin

Postby erin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am

Well, things are still going pretty good but I did have a bagel yesterday :(. There was some stress and negativity at work yesterday just as I was getting ready to clock off and I have often responded to stress by eating bread.

This time was a little different however because I fully realized I was following a habit pattern and I actually had to override the voice telling me to stay on track. Usually it is the other way around.

Another factor that played into my bad decision was that I had not planned what I would eat when I got home so I'm sure being hungry didn't help the situation. Anyhow, that was yesterday and today is a new day.

B: BetterOats apple cinnamon oatmeal
L: Spring onion thai noodles w/ steamed vegetables
S: Carrots, radishes, cucumbers
D: Sweet potato, asparagus, salad

Exercise: 3 mile run

~ erin
erin

Postby erin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 am

I haven't posted lately but everything is going pretty good. My husband and I went in for physicals last week and had blood drawn for lots of tests including B12 and vitamin D. They also did a breath test for H. pylori and mine came back positive :(. My husbands sample was "inadequate" so he has to repeat it but it almost has to be positive if mine is. I have looked into treatment options and since >75% of people worldwide are infected I don't see how I would avoid reinfection even if I did opt to go through the whole 2 weeks of multiple antibiotics and other meds that comprise the current treatment regimen. I don't have any of the symptoms associated with infection.

I will post the other test results when they come back next week. My husband is hoping his cholesterol has come down as the last reading was TC somewhere over 220.

~ erin
erin

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning