Circle of Friends

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Circle of Friends

Postby Christine in Cali » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi my Friends...Winter is upon us here in Northren Cali. I haven't been hiking at all for awhile and I do miss it. My sister and I are braving the darkness tomorrow AM so we can get a hike in. I am going to invest in some rain gear and waterproof boots so i can hike even in the rain. I see people out exercising in the rain all the time so why can't I?

Will be moving more this weekend now that the rats and their mess have been cleaned up. I really dislike moving though, what a pain it is, but it must be done and I am grateful that I have the ability to do it.

Carollynne who contacted you from the engine 2? Did they send you a PM or Call you? How did they hear about you? Tell us more. Congrats on the 6 days of being oh so good.

Miss posting on a regular bases but have been a bit out of sorts and didn't want to bring everyone down. But I am very happy for you all and enjoy reading all the positive happenings
Christine in Cali

Postby carollynne » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:31 am

Christine, I so well understand !! And glad you are getting the move done soon too. great news about the hiking, yes in the rain, why not?

I am flying high ever since I went to that lecture where Dr Esselstyn was the keynote speaker!! It was so cool to be around other vegans or at least some who want to be!! the MAC4Wellness whole big community wellness program was started last yr, and it was Rip Essy who was the speaker, So this is yr # 2!! How it got started was a medical doctor (she was a great intro speaker too, and so nice and thin too) called up and asked Rip E. if he would come there and help kick off the Mercersburg Area Community Wellness. And the tie in to family is that Rip is a alum from the Mercersburg Academy, a very prestigious high school, that looks more like a small college. So it was my cardiologist that told me about it and even gave me the email pages he had received and then I spoke to him there and sat at his table at the plant strong meal. The only difference between some of Rip's meal plans and his dad's (as Dr Essy said) is that in Dr Essy 's since he is the cure and reverse man, there are no oils, no nuts, olives etc. His son's recipes might have a bit of them. So Dr Essy says his son is plant strong, and he are plant perfect! cute saying. The lecture was fantastic and it was great to see a man of his age, looking so tall, erect, strong, bounding up a few of the steps, and on his feet for the entire time. Day one was yesterday, but it was also day 241 for me. with far too many cheats along the way. No more of that I can tell myself. And it has been an evolutionary process for me and my family too. I really need the support element of this Engine 2 team right now. So many times it has been the very people who claim to love me or are the friends who want to help me, actually encourage me to cheat, and eat some of the SAD, so on#E## phooey on that ! also just saw a nice big poster at the library too, but after the lecture was over of course!!
good news again for me, this am, the scale told me 174.2 (again of course) I am on a great wave of eating, and my exercising!!
Dr Essy and Dr MCD are on the same pg as far as I can tell. and both are committed to dishing out hope that there is a cure and it is all in what we eat for food too!!! cool beans that one!!
YOU'll have a great day out there!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 am

Good morning everyone...and yay for friday!! Carollynne, congrats on your 174.2!!! Yay!!!

Christine, please do feel free to post, maybe we can lift your spirits a little as we respond to what you post...glad to hear that the move is coming along and the place is now all cleaned up :) Moving is stressful, so maybe once you are all settled things will seem easier.

I have a busy day ahead...work, grocery shopping, and then a recruiter is coming over...it will be interesting to see what he says.

One thought I'm focusing on...I am really desiring simplicity. Keeping the food simple is like putting simplicity into my body...it's made simply, it didn't involve any suffering or cruelty, so I hope it will help me bring some simplicity to my life...I think I'm craving it.
LoriJenny

Postby carollynne » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi to all!! I had a very good day, I drove back to Mercersburg, to the clinic where the lab slip vouchers, all pre-pd were available. It was the Dr George office who gave the intro talks. I know some of the funding was from Summit Health, in my town as well. Anyway, we plan on going on Sunday to get blood test. That is my sons' only day off, but hey he needs to do it and the price is so right. I am so thankful he is vegan, and therefore so healthy as he has no insurance. He is working 50-60 hrs a week, as a fork lift operator, at a volvo plant getting tons of OT, but he is from a temp agency, and who knows when he will get hired F/T... hey times are hard for alot, not just my oldest son I know.
It will be a good base to know what your lipids and glucose are, and that is part of the program too.
I did good today, with my eating, oatmeal for breakfast with berries, and for lunch after the drive and the fitness center was a big salad, brown rice and kale again, love that stuff.... and millet bread( GF) that I loved. plain, and then for dinner it was steamed cauliflower and sauce, and boiled red potatoes. I did pretty good. I can really eat some days, and today was one of them. snack, carrots and celery, and oh, I had a 4 carrot juice this am too. Tomorrow I may not eat this much, but it was all good, and nothing bad at all. I drank water, and some sparkling spring water too, I got at the Amish bump and dent.
Sure hope all was well with you all, and that the weekend will be a good one!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi...A good day here. I enjoyed the farmers market and getting my csa box as usual. The CSA box is a bit of a learning experience, I get these fruits and vegies that are completely new to me! Today there were these long things that looked like huge green onion, but they were much stiffer and smelled of lemons. My dog really wanted one, so I gave him one and he so enjoyed shredding it! It was lemon grass. So, I'm online looking for recipes that use lemon grass. So far a spicy thai noodle soup looks the best :) Anyone else have an idea of how to use lemon grass??

I"m happy today, the weather is just amazing, and I feel so good, my stomach feels smaller and more comfortable, I feel happy and relaxed, I love this feeling.

The first thing I did this morning was to take Bear on a walk, it was beautiful out. I have not been really consistant about getting to the gym to get my heart rate up, so I'm going to try to recommit to doing this at least 3 times a week, and then the 4th work out will be a bike ride on the weekends. Where I live the wind comes up in the afternoon, so bike riding really must be done in the morning...which now that the school year has started can only happen on the weekends.

I got the Rip Esselstein book today and I'm engrossed in it :) I think one thing that I have learned from Carollynne is to keep learning...it helps with the motivation.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful Saturday night!
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Lori...You sound so content and grounded. I'm smiling with you. Your dog sounds like a character, did he eat the lemon grass or just tear it up? Tell us about the soup and if you like it post the recipe...sounds good. Glad your happy and doing well.

Carollynne.....Good luck with the blood tests tomorrow and have a good day with you DS. You sound like your doing well too with all the healthy whole foods your eating.

I think the Fall is helping us all settle in and get focused on what is important in our lives
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby carollynne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 am

HI to LoriJenny and to Christine!! I love your new ticker, Christine, it is perfect, since at times I feel like I am in the dessert and walking alone as my son who is only 30, can afford to cheat far more than I and I can...... and I do not want to nag at him, he is healthy, and has lost 20 lbs, so who am I to say a thing?) He really looks so good, and is about off all those drinks he bought at that Amish store that are energy or what ever, and truly too high in sugars and caffeine too. He has some friends at work his age, that are already on different meds and that is so early!! So to Ds I would be preaching to the choir and really, he is such a great person to be around. DH! oh well, he is hopelessly lost in the SAD lifestyle and is not going to budge and says he does not care if it kills him etc. oh well again to that. He will change, they always do, but not till some huge medical event forces him to.
Ds had picked up a Amy's frozen vegan pizza, with no soy cheese, but really, it was too greasy!! wow I was shocked by that. I must be so sensitive to the oils now. But I ate some anyway. but I also had my usual steel cut oats, and brown rice and kale too. BACK ON TRACK AS OF TODAY!

Lori Jenny, glad I can inspire you too, that is all I am doing is trying to keep myself motivated by reading more and more and listening to lecture on line. so I stay the course vegan. this MAC4Wellnes team will be so cool for us both here. You all know what I mean, when you are stuck with the SAD types, it will drag you down so badly. I love to walk Maxie at our newish walking park, and she love it too. It has all blacktop paths that are so good for my joints.... I can walk much further now, than like a yr ago, with my knee and ankle issues!! cool beans there! Plus so many people will stop and want to briefly speak to the dog, kids love my doggie, and think she is a puppy, but she is 6 yr old,.... a yorkie mix ...
But the bike rides, oohhhhh, they sound great!!
well up early and just checking in!! have a good weekend to all!
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

Love my new avatar!! Thanks so much for doing it for me, Rosey!! it is so cool, to finally have one, like all the rest of you.
I am getting all ready for the first installment of the vegan suppers mtgs. Taking my Mexican squash bean soup, with extra lime, cilantro, and salsa peppers too. Oh, and a big cooker of brown rice. I suddenly am eating brown rice like it is going out of style!! love it with some braggs...
finally seem to be off the bread now. It sure took me long enough, but it is done now. And my wt is dropping a bit each day. woo-hoo! feeling great altho I have been up since 4 am again. such energy is unreal to me. The rain is even clearing up for the trip to Mercersburg tonight , about 45 min! but it will be so nice to be at a vegan get together too. Today I saw 172.8 but will not change my ticker til Friday I think, or later even. But at least my ticker seems to be working again.
carollynne

Postby Rosey » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:06 pm

carollynne wrote:Love my new avatar!! Thanks so much for doing it for me, Rosey!! it is so cool, to finally have one, like all the rest of you.
I am getting all ready for the first installment of the vegan suppers mtgs. Taking my Mexican squash bean soup, with extra lime, cilantro, and salsa peppers too. Oh, and a big cooker of brown rice. I suddenly am eating brown rice like it is going out of style!! love it with some braggs...
finally seem to be off the bread now. It sure took me long enough, but it is done now. And my wt is dropping a bit each day. woo-hoo! feeling great altho I have been up since 4 am again. such energy is unreal to me. The rain is even clearing up for the trip to Mercersburg tonight , about 45 min! but it will be so nice to be at a vegan get together too. Today I saw 172.8 but will not change my ticker til Friday I think, or later even. But at least my ticker seems to be working again.

SMILE Your welcome. Congrats on the weight change. HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi...I"m so glad to hear how you all are doing so well!! I am now at a place of frustration with myself, not really sure why I keep going on and off this woe, kind of down on myself I guess... :( My weight is just sort of staying the same as I continue to have this little war going on inside... Hopefully I will be posting good news soon.
LoriJenny

Postby Rosey » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:24 pm

LoriJenny wrote:Hi...I"m so glad to hear how you all are doing so well!! I am now at a place of frustration with myself, not really sure why I keep going on and off this woe, kind of down on myself I guess... :( My weight is just sort of staying the same as I continue to have this little war going on inside... Hopefully I will be posting good news soon.

sweetie beating self up over it makes it harder. when you slip hug your self and repeat a few times I can and will do better from next bite on. For my health and my weight but mainly health so I can be healthy for my self and my family. it really does help make less slips.
Rosey

Postby carollynne » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Vegan pot luck mtg was so nice. Not too crowded but plenty of food and we just had the meal, buffet style, and then we all shared a bit about our journey. Most people were there for health concerns. A few had been vegan for a yr or more. I hope I did not talk too long, but it was nice.

An older gentleman right across from my son and I said that he did have health heart concerns and was going to do this himself and his wife just would not cook this way for him, so he was learning to do it himself. Now that is something else. He was that determined. quite a few talked of the chol # going way down. Mine did drop 40 pts in 7 months, but I forgot to mention that .
there was a lot of food, and I did manage to avoid any breads, and sweet looking stuff. I know that is my trigger and I dearly want to keep losing too.l Sons' Mexican Squash bean soup went over big, but still we brought some home to have here for a few days. Next week, son does not know what he wants to make up, but perhaps we will not bring too much.
Several of the women looked very slim and trim, and they had been vegan for a yr or so and looked it. Many had read all the same books that I have devoured too.
DH loved the soup, and had a big bowl of again. Plus he ate the mustard greens too. So perhaps he will get healthy by default around us.
well enuff, night!
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Carollynne, I love your new avatar!! So pretty! :) That potluck and the team you are on all sound so encouraging!

Rosey and Christine...thanks so much for the encouragement. I think I'm about ready to turn things around tomorrow :) I need to get on with this adventure, and remember all the positives...improved energy and health...and guilt free eating :)
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Love seeing your posts Lori....Never give up. Bob is a great help, and tells it like it is.

I will be moving into Mill Valley where I house-sit for about a month, but the place where I was going to move isn't really starting out in a good way so I may not end up there in the long run...In the mean time I do have a bed and a place over my head and the love of two sweet little doggies, cause I am their Nanny C after all. I will have stuff in 3 places by tomorrow....so hard to figure out what to take where. I am such a procrastinator and now I am running around like crazy. Anyhoo glad to have you back
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby Rosey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:40 pm

HUGS!!!! Hope everyone is doing great. My rice cooker went on blink but I'll have new one in mail tomorrow WOOT. New one is bigger and will also steam veggies for me. It also shows you can cook soups in it as well.
Rosey

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals