Enough!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Enough!

Postby simoncat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Debbie, my heart is with you. My last dog had lymphoma and like you, I had to wait it out. It hurts, but don't beat yourself up about what you did and didn't do for her. Like my husband says, "dogs never hold a grudge. All they ask is that you love them". I think that is the true beauty of our pets and I know she must love you and just wants you to be with her now and she probably wants you to take care of yourself as well. She probably feels lucky to have you.
simoncat

Postby blondie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm so sorry Debbie. It's so hard to lose someone you love. I hope you can enjoy the time you have left with her.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby eri » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 pm

How horrible! I am so sorry! I pray for peace for you and your family. *hugs*
eri

Postby WeeSpeck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 am

Hi Debbie,

I am so sorry about your dog. I know there are few words that can be said to make it different or better. The bond we share with our pets is very intense. My thoughts are with you through this challenging time.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby Adrienne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 am

Debbie so sorry to hear about your dog. Feel better soon.
Adrienne

Postby Chile » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:27 am

Debbie, I'm sorry to hear your dog is sick. We've lost two dogs during our twenty-plus years together and it was devastating both times. People who were gauche enough to say, "it's just a dog," were ignored. People who loved their pets and especially those who'd lost one understood what an important part of our lives they play.

What we learned with the first dog is how hard it is to tell when they are sick. If they do not show the obvious signs (vomiting, no appetite, etc.), it's hard to realize. Just a little decrease in activity, being more picky about eating, a little depression didn't alert us in the first case. The lump on the leg turned out to be Valley Fever rather than bone cancer, treatable, but we lost him a year later very suddenly and very unexpectedly when an internal tumor burst. Did we miss the signs? Did we not take good enough care of him?

We did what we could as loving owners just as you did. Guilt is not necessary as you can't know what brought this on. Just love your dog, treasure the time you have had and have now, and spoil him rotten. And remember to take care of yourself, too.
Chile

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 am

Debbie I know it is small comfort but {{{HUGS}}}
THis will be a very difficult time... and there will come a time when you know it is the right time.
But until then... Take as much time to love on her as you can. And as others have said it will be painful for a long time but then the pain will lessen. I still greive our kitty Tuffy taht we had for 17 years and he died many years ago.

YOU need to know this too that when you changed her diet you DID do the RIGHT thing. You probably prolonged her life immeasurably by doing that, IT is the right diet for a dog.

Just as the McDougall Diet is the right diet for a human.

Please understand that a correct diet does not mean you have total immunity.. IT means you have a better life, perhaps a longer life. With less problems.
I know some people on here are all about living into their hundreds but they miss the point... that whether you live longer is not nearly as important as that you live better.
You gave her that. She lived better, and she did not really miss the walks and the swims.. She has you and the children and all the LOVE that you have given and are giving her. That is what she wants .. to be with you and your family... and that is what will give her the most joy over these next few trying months.

Be kind to yourself too and hug her and take little walks with her. Enjoy this last time with her as much as you can.

My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby afreespirit » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:03 pm

{{{Oh Debbie}}} How my heart aches for you. I and many others here have also walked this path of sorrow with a beloved animal companion. To say it is devastating is an understatement.

There is no way out but through. As a wise vet told me during my time of torment, when there is no more time left, the last remaining loving thing you can do is ensure a painless release for your precious darling. But oh how it hurts to say goodbye.

Thinking of you my dear McDougall friend,
Sheila :crybaby:
afreespirit

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:41 am

I saw a 14 year old Wiemeraner dog at the beach who looked as happy as my old 14 year old labrador. I sure feel for you Debbie. I know losing our pets is very emotional and send peace and love to you.

I have two friends who had to put their dogs down in the last month. It's so hard to say goodbye to our fantastic companions. Hugs to you Debbie.
StarchBeet

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 pm

(((((((Debbie)))))))

-Norm
Norm

Postby afreespirit » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Grief is the price of love...my heart weeps with yours. :crybaby:
afreespirit

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:37 am

:crybaby: (((((HUGS))))
So Sooo Sorry.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Rosey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:49 am

BIG HUGE BEAR HUGS!!!!
Rosey

Postby Melinda » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:53 am

Are you aware of the "rainbow bridge" poem? It is beautiful and there is a website dedicated to it. Just google it. My heart is with you.
Melinda

Postby eri » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:05 pm

(((Debbie)))
eri

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals