Emmet's Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Emmet's Journal

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:53 pm

This is my first time posting.

I'm Male, 5 feet 8 inches tall and topped out at 250 pounds. My blood pressure was hitting about 160/90.

I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years but clearly wasn't making good food choices. Although I've owned 12 days to dynamic health for probably 15 years I've never stuck with the diet for more than 2-3 days. Most of the time I figured McDougall was a bit of a nutjob ;) I mean, really, who the heck wants to eat leftover brown rice with applesauce and cinnamon for breakfast? I guess my health had to hit rock bottom for me to finally see the wisdom in it all.

I also suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was prone to eating a lot of comfort food to help with the anxiety. I was eating egg and cheese on bagels for breakfast with greasy muffins and large cups of coffee with cream and sugar. Pizza or veggie burgers and french fries at the work cafeteria. Lots of meals with cheese for supper. Snack chips, Funyuns, Doritos....

I started trying to follow the McDougall program semi-seriously about 6 weeks ago. The usual comfort foods weren't providing much comfort anymore. I felt sick all the time, my stress level was killing me.

Most days I have been eating grape nuts for breakfast with blueberries and soymilk. I usually need a couple of bananas to get me through till lunch. I haven't quit the coffee yet but I've been drinking it black to get rid of the cream...

I still end up eating at the cafeteria sometimes but I try to pick lowfat alternatives and eat oranges/bananas/watermelon for snacks..

I usually do well with making McDougall suppers. My wife adds cheese to her serving of almost everything I make but even she has lost some weight.

Some of the meals that I like so far are Burritos with slow cooked pinto beans. Sloppy Lentil Joes, and Savory Sandwiches.

So for the last 6 weeks I have followed the plan fairly well. However, I cheat one night a week and eat anything I want. And lunch isn't always perfect. Even still I have lost 12 pounds and dropped the BP from 160/90 to about 137/82. I'm feeling a lot better and looking forward refining my diet until I'm really following the program 100%...

Thanks for reading :)
EmmetFitzhume

Re: Emmet's Journal

Postby MmmCarbs » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Emmet! Congratulations on your results so far.

Leftover brown rice, applesauce, and cinnamon for breakfast sounds delicious to me :-)
MmmCarbs

Re: Emmet's Journal

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

So I tried taking a pro biotic: Jarro-Dophilus EPS for some intestinal issues I was having.

At about the same time I tried Quinoa Chowder from Mary McDougalls one pot recipes.

I have never had so much gas and a bloated feeling in my life. Can't tell if it has something to do with the soup or with the pro biotic. Quit eating both for the time being and hoping my stomach will settle down...

As far as the recipe - A bit bland not my favorite at this point.

Tomorrow is steel cut oats with walnuts and raisins and a smidge of maple syrup, savory sandwiches, and lentil joes with a green salad.
EmmetFitzhume

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning