LeeAnne's Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

LeeAnne's Journal

Postby LeeAnne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 am

I wanted to begin this today even though not everything is in place yet.

I'm starting today with no junk foods and eating only healthy foods. I don't like to eat snacks or inbetween meals so I will eat three meals a day. I am going non-dairy, non GMO and as healthy as I can.

I'm so serious about this that I'm taking everything out of my kitchen that has any dairy in it and getting rid of it. First time for me to do this.

Breakfast: 2 small slices multi-grain bread with a little non-GMO non-dairy spread with a little homemade apricot jam, about 2 tsp. About 1/4 c. grapenut cereal with 1/8 c. almond milk that was watered down with water. I don't like a thick milk.

I have very little fresh fruit on hand so today I plan to go shopping and stock up.

Lunch: large fresh green salad with homemade non-dairy, non-vinegar dressing. I will top my salad with carrots, olives and maybe some dried cranberries. This will be my standard lunch, tossed green salad with various toppings. That will be it for lunch.
LeeAnne

Re: LeeAnne's Journal

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:34 am

LeeAnne wrote:I'm starting today with no junk foods and eating only healthy foods. I don't like to eat snacks or inbetween meals so I will eat three meals a day. I am going non-dairy, non GMO and as healthy as I can.

Hi! :-D Just wondering if you are following the McDougall plan or not? B/c what you say below suggests that you may not be . . .
Breakfast: 2 small slices multi-grain bread with a little non-GMO non-dairy spread with a little homemade apricot jam, about 2 tsp. About 1/4 c. grapenut cereal with 1/8 c. almond milk that was watered down with water. I don't like a thick milk.

"Non-dairy spreads," assuming you mean some kind of margarine, is NOT permitted on the McDougall plan. No added fat, remember? Have you read any of Dr. McD's books? Have you read the part of the website that explains the plan in detail? It's precisely those added fats (oils, etc.) that are responsible for most weight gain! You are unlikely to lose weight eating that way AND doing so is unhealthy, to boot!

I would watch the olives, too, if I were you. Calorie dense food like that is likely to stall weight loss.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby LeeAnne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 pm

No I am not following the McDougall plan. I have taken it and fitted it to fit my lifestyle and it is working very well. Thank you for your interest.
LeeAnne

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Well, this may not be the best place for you to post, then. This is a forum for people following the McDougall plan. When you post menus that are clearly off plan, you confuse people who are new to the plan and who may think that what you are eating is OK for them to eat, when it's not.

This is not a generic weight loss forum--it's a forum for THIS way of eating. :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby LeeAnne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Dinner:

One ear corn on the cob, big one
raw carrots with orange sauce
baked potato with skin

This will really fill me up. So good.

My lunch salad was so good. I've got lettuce growing in my garden and it is so green. Plus all kinds of other good things to eat, green beans, tomatoes, carrots, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, zucchini and winter squash. I look forward to enjoying these things in the Fall.
LeeAnne

Postby LeeAnne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:33 pm

It's okay. I was warned that people here are not polite on this forum. I will leave so you won't have to worry if I use some "non-dairy spread" which I didn't say what it was, did I? The other poster jumped to her conclusions it was margarine not even knowing what it was. I often like to make my own spreads.

And I imagine the rest will jump on me here too for other things they perceive as not fitting in with your group.

So I won't bother you anymore. You can rest easy now.
LeeAnne

Postby BenFTW » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 pm

LeeAnne, theres no need to act childish. I'm thinking people are reading what they want to hear on this thread/topic.

LeeAnne stated that she is incorporating certain McDougall principles into her diet. Whether she uses unhealthy spreads or not, whatever she IS incorporating is helping. So, imo, she is more than welcome to be on these boards and post in the journal section especially considering it is HER journal. There are probably plenty of users here McDougalling who still need to cut certain things out of their diet for more efficient weight loss or greater health. (Atleast people just starting for sure) I remember reading at the start of Dr. McDougall's book that this isnt an all or nothing approach and that every bit counts. (something like that. lol)

As for what you, LeeAnne, should realise, is that ETeSelle saw your post and gave her input on how you can improve yourself for greater weightloss if that is your goal. She felt, as a person a part of this forum, that since she herself is successful at McDougalling and knows how to do it correctly, could help a beginner who MAY HAVE been using something that was fighting against rather than supporting them in thier goal. Why you leeched on to her comment of margarine instead of focusing on her whole point IDK.

Anyways, hope you stick around and whatever your reasons for incorporating McDougall principles into your diet, they will help.

Thans for reading.

PS: ETeSelle, if I am assuming too much of you sorry, but I've seen your posts and wow what a transformation you made for yourself. Apparently, you know what you are doing. Haha. :P
BenFTW

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:45 am

I was in no way rude. I was simply pointing out that you are not following the plan which this forum was set up to support. Many newbies post here and even more lurk--and too many do so w/out reading at least 1 of Dr. McD's books, so they may well assume that what you are doing is McD approved when it is not. I want to help people be successful, so I am trying to keep them from falling into traps (like the oil-filled spread you mentioned).

I am honestly confused as to why you would want to post here if you are not following the plan, but that's your business. I will, however, continue to point out, for the benefit of the newbies on the forum, where you are not in compliance to avoid confusing those who ARE trying to follow the McDougall plan. :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby janluvs2heel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

You know, it did sound to me like you were rude, although I am sure that was not your intent. Unfortunately you cannot police everything that is written in this forum & newbies are going to get some wrong information. Oh, well, that is the way it is. They need to do just like everyone else has done & read the book & ask questions.
It sounded to me that LeeAnne was starting off in the right direction, maybe she wasn't ready to commit to McDougalling 100% yet. There have been others who have done the same thing & they seem be able to post here without someone telling them they should not be here. Case in point, Birdy. And I am sure there are more.
So maybe just think a little before you hit send, the problem with email is can't always tell a person's tone, it can be misunderstood. When you are writing it, it may sound fine to you, you know what tone you are using, but not everyone does.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan

Who is on Plan & Staying That Way!!!
janluvs2heel

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning