Kyon's Progress

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kyon's Progress

Postby Kyon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Okay. I figure I need to do this journal thing. Though I am not usually very good at daily entries, I tend to slack off after a week.

Week 1 went pretty well, I found brown Basmati rice is the kind of brown rice I really enjoy on a daily basis(other kinds I would probably use for cold rice salads). Been really loving a combo of black beans, corn, lettuce, and salsa which is basically what I'd have on a veg burrito. I did slip and add guacamole a couple times, not that it is bad but I need to lose some fat first. I have cut dairy out of my life, not that I had it much being lactose intolerant, and I have noticed my skin is already a little clearer. And I am down 5lbs! Though some of that may be due to the T.O.M. being over. Also, my trainer said he'd buy what I had left of the protein shake(he didn't sell it to me)it happens that he needed more.

Bad news is that I have been slipping on food when I am away from home. I had some macaroni salad with mayo, potato chips, fish, and pie. Not all on the same day, but if I start making excuses I will be back to where I was before I started. I realize though that I planned to fail, as in "those that fail to plan, plan to fail". I did not have all my ingredients ready and no salad fixings! This week I will plan on setting out my breakfast and packing lunches the night before. I also need to use my Planet Fitness membership, been away 2 months since I started kickboxing. I was supposed to at least use this to up my cardio, since I am out of shape that way and can't run very much or far because of that. Also, with my allergies, running inside is preferable.

Next Saturday there is the first cookout, I will plan on bringing some dishes so I can avoid high fat traps. I already have some veggie burgers in the fridge(there just for cookouts). Thinking of making the Aztec salad I saw posted in the recipes section. I could also bring something with potato. But the theme is "death by chocolate", is there anything I could make with chocolate? Not that I have to because I will bring savory to balance their sweet.
Kyon

Re: Kyon's Progress

Postby Chile » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Good plan to bring your own dishes to the cookout. Check this recipe list from the newsletters for chocolate desserts.
Chile

Postby Kyon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Since my last posting I have been off plan again. I said I needed to buy food and I didn't. I stopped by the store last night and picked up some potatoes. Uhhh, so good! Had a couple nuked russets with broccoli and a sprinkle of Old Bay. I think I will eat mainly potatoes, and various veggies, since I am loving them right now.

My kickboxing is going well. Funny thing is that my left hook is really strong, my left side is over all stronger, but I am right handed.
Kyon

Postby Kyon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 pm

So, still not doing very well. I am having some depression and not wanting to do much of anything at all. It is a mild depression so I am always grumpy and annoyed to have to do anything. I can get out of bed and go to work, though it makes me miserable to be around(I do my best to hide it in front of co-workers and patients). I still attend my kickboxing classes though. Otherwise, I come home and crawl into bed. That means I haven't been cooking or getting breakfast ready for the AM. I know it is almost Wed but I am going to try and start fresh. Going to go and nuke some taters for tomorrow and make up some curry veggies(I have frozen mixed veg and canned tomatoes). Still planning on eating lots of potatoes, it is the depression that leads me to not follow plan(or do much of anything).

By the way, any recipes for potato salad that doesn't involve dill? I want to bring some to a cookout but the host doesn't care for dill or pickles. I was thinking of adding corn and black beans somehow, the dressing has me stuck.
Kyon

Postby Chile » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry to read you are having problems with depression. I deal with recurring depressive episodes, ranging from mild to quite bad, so I hear you when you say it's hard to motivate yourself to prepare food.

This may be the time for really easy healthy meals, such as the SNAP meals everyone raves about from Jeff Novick. (I haven't tried them.) I keep a few fast and easy foods around for those times when I really don't feel like dealing with making a meal. For instance, couscous or instant brown rice + frozen vegetables + Mrs. Dash Table blend spice = easy and fast meal.

I find I am more likely to slip into depression if I start eating off-plan or eat too many sweets. Staying on-plan and exercising both really help keep it at bay. Dealing with stress appropriately also helps me - not overscheduling myself, not taking on too many projects at once, etc.

At one point, I was a participant in a meditation-based study to prevent depression relapse. During that time I was required to maintain a regular practice and it helped loads. My practice has since fallen off and I keep planning (but not doing) to take it up again.

Hope this helps a little. If not, then at least know someone is out there thinking of you.
Chile

Postby Kyon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Did better today, had mainly potatoes with mixed veg and old bay. Morning I had potato with ketchup.

A friend posted a photo from earlier this year, must have been around January(before I started exercising again). I changed my avatar to this newer pic, though I hope I am a little less chubby!
Kyon

Postby sksamboots » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm

I like the new picture. Looks like a good day. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning