My Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Journal

Postby KarenD2011 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 am

New to the boards and wanting to change... :)

I am 5'4 and 165 pounds. I have been lacto-ovo veg for just over 6 years. I have issues with overeating junk food, drinking coffee and 1-2 glasses of wine, on a daily basis. I work at a desk job 8 hours per day, 5 days per week and don't get much exercise....

I own the book, The McDougall Program 12 days to Dynamic Health from 1990, which is a wealth of information. I have read it cover to cover a few times now, and have implemented small changes over the years. I am now ready to begin the program full throttle.

I am heading out today to buy more food and to stock my pantry. We are on a limited income but I know beans, rice, pasta, potatoes and corn are cheap. Produce (organic especially) is a little pricey, but I am going to try and stay "in-season" and local.

Will be back later today or tomorrow to start tracking my new life. I hope to lose about 2 pounds per week ... I turn 33 at the end of next month so I'd like to lose about 10-15 pounds by then! :D My long term goal is 125.

I'll need to figure out how to get a ticker on here!

Thanks for listening!
Last edited by KarenD2011 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KarenD2011

Re: My Journal

Postby Rosey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Welcome
Rosey

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Welcome Karen!
LoriJenny

Postby KarenD2011 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 am

Thank you Rosey and Lori :)

So day one starts... weigh in... 163...down from 165 Saturday (odd - I kind of had a "last night" of chips and a few glasses of wine....feeling terrible today) guess weight just fluctuates..!

I am down to one cup of coffee a day, today I start 1/2 reg & 1/2 decaf coffee, sith Silk creamer instread of half and half dairy creamer....

*Edited meals

B- plain oatmeal w/blueberries, brown rice syrup & coffee
L- ww Pita pizza w/ff tomato sauce, onion, grape tomatoes, mushrooms & red pepper
S- banana, apple
D- FF chow mein noodles w/mushrooms, broc, onions, red pepper w/ff teriyaki sauce - YUM..

Exercise - I try and get out everyday on my breaks at work for walks, my goal is to go out every break for 15 mins...and then take the dog out tonight for a 20 min walk. That will be over an hour of exercise per day... Lately all I have been doing is one 15 min walk/day & taking the dog out 1-2 times per week, if that....

I would also like to take up lifting weights, we do have them here at home but they are in storage... I might try and dig out some free weights to work with.

Super tired today, terrible sleep, probably all the chips & wine.... and my child woke me up 1-2 times briefly...so in total, maybe 5 hours sleep? However - SO excited to get this plan started!!
Last edited by KarenD2011 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Weight; June 13: 165
Current weight; July 18: 157
Goal Weight: 125
KarenD2011

Postby carollynne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Good Luck, and I know you can do this!! It sort of grows on you, and soon enough the wt just floats off, when you are compliant with the program. Whenever I stray off plan, I know it because of how my intestines react to it all...
Welcome to the McDougallers and you will find a lot of encouragement with all of the posters here...
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby KarenD2011 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Carolynne! Thanks for your post :)

Day one almost complete...dinner changed (see edit) and prob a little higher in sugar than wouldve liked...(teriyaki sauce) but... better than chips and wine and still on plan..!!

Didn't get much sleep last night, but managed a 15 min walk so far today....hoping to get out again tonight for 20 or so mins...
KarenD2011

Postby Jan R » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey Karen, welcome aboard. I'm fairly new to the McDougall diet as well. The McDougall crowd are fantastic and I've found the members so supportive. You are on your way to feeling heaps better and making some really good mates. I've been on this now for just over 3 weeks. I felt great within a couple of days. I've only lost all up about 2.5 pounds over 3 weeks but I learnt from some of the members to cut out the bread and so this week started to lose weight which was great. Although you can have bread (wholegrain) a few of the members suggest cutting this out and replacing it with rice or potatoes or some other starch, which is what I have done. Like you I love a glass of wine or two a couple of days a week. I'm continuing to do that however, have noticed that I am aware more of not eating 'snacks' with this = when out with friends at the local etc. So for instance last week, met up with a friend - before I met her I had some boiled potatoes with no fat balsamic vinegar (I love vinegar) and was satisified to just have the wine and not snack. Little changes like this I think makes the difference. I found that I'm preparing food in advance now as well. On the weekend, made 3 different soups - these are great as meals or snacks. And easy to make. You can make a big bash (that is what I did) and freeze a lot of it for later in the week. Anyway, welcome aboard.
Cheers - jan.
Jan R

Postby KarenD2011 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for your reply Jan! Congrats on the weight loss, and I have heard that, cutting down on ww bread... it's so tough though! I could eat bread all day long... haha...

Today:

B- plain oatmeal w/blueberries, brown rice syrup & coffee
S- ww Pita pizza w/ff tomato sauce, onion, grape tomatoes, mushrooms & red pepper
L- FF chow mein noodles w/mushrooms, broc, onions, red pepper w/ff teriyaki sauce
D- * Edit: potatoes, red beans w/veg stock & thyme, baked.. YUM

50 mins of walking today! Also measured my brown rice syrup to make sure I wasnt having tooo much, 1 TBS is all i am allowing...

I might have a glass of wine, thing is, I like white sparkling wine mixed with unsweetened fruit juice.... wonder if thats ok....just a small glass if any tonight...

back later...
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 am

Couldn't help myself and weighed in... still at 163, which is better than 165... can't expet weight loss over night!! I have to put that scale away...

I edited my entry from yesterday, I made this 4 ingredient dish from the sticky for dinner, and it turned out great! like taters w/gravy.. :)

Today:

B- plain oatmeal w/brown rice syrup & banana, 1/2 cup coffee w/silk
S- rice cake
L- potluck, I am bringing ff hummus & ww pita bread **Edit - I ate salad (bok choy, snap peass & oranges) w/no dressing, and too much ww pita w/ff hummus
D- Potato/mushrooms/onions/red bean dish - baked w/veg stock & thyme

Planning on getting in about 45 mins of walking today, yesterday was great! Legs are a little sore..**Edit got about 30 mins in
Last edited by KarenD2011 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 am

Oh and no wine last night, 0 since Sunday :)
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:35 am

Hello Day 4!!

Yesterday was good, I did eat way to much pita and hummus, but at the time I felt I "had" too - there was so many goodies, a lot of my favourites...... brownies, tarts, spinach dip w/soudough bread., goat cheese & crackers.... it was tough to say no, but I battled through! Last week I would've had a huge plateful of all of those things... :o

Today we have a staff luncheon, I am bringing a cup of split pea soup, an apple & a rice cake, in case there isn't anything vegan & low fat...

**Edited food

B- instant organic oatmeal (maple brown sugar), banana, 1/2 cup coffee w/silk
S- rice cake & apple
L- a ton of fruits & veg from luncheon, 4 ww breton crackers w/salsa
D- ww spaghetti w/ mushrooms & onions
S- Guiltless gourmet chips (about 10-15) & small glass of sparkling white wine mixed w/fruit juice

oh and last night I ate some guiltless gourmet chips, thinking they were on the plan, but they were the chipotle ones, I checked the packaged goods section..and they aren't! oops - good thing I only had about 10 total...

Feeling very bloated, maybe all the ww pita? I did eat a lot of it...

Dog cut her foot, so she is not able to walk with me after work... hopefully it heals up fast...I will be walking about 30-50 mins today, thats the plan! This up from 0-30 mins/day during the last year or so.... my oh my...**Edit - walked approx 30 mins

Can't wait to weigh in on Monday... I have been eating a lot of ww products, so I am unsure if the scale will budge... quite a change in diet though...
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:28 am

Day 5

Okay so I feel like I cheated last night with the guiltless gourmet chips and wine....but hubby was eating chips and having a beer so, you know.... it's tough to say no... and it's better than regular chips and a big glass of wine...but no excuse.... I should really just cut it out...I want to lose weight not sit here and maintain....

Staying home today, dog injured her foot and had surgery yesterday, she can hardly walk and is nauseated still from being put under :( I am sure she will heal quickly, she's tough... we will get to hang out all day, which will be nice.

As well, I was getting my child out of bed to drop him off at daycare so I could spend time with my dog, and clean the house - but he is really congested and coughing a ton, so I thought it would be best for him to stay home too :)

**Edited meals

B- plain oatmeal w/brown rice syrup, strawberries, 1/2 cup coffee w/silk
S- banana
L-basmati brown rice made w/veg stock, peas, corn & salsa - YUM
S- rice cake w/hummus, apple
D- unsure, maybe a potato bean dish or a stirfry w/noodles

I am still bloated .....hoping this goes down soon... I think i need to drink more water.

Hoping to get out for a walk later....will be back!
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Day 6

Quick post...

B- couple bites of oatmeal, 2 rice cakes w/ff hummus, coffee w/silk
L- very low fat (1.5 g) no soy, lentil veg burg on ww bun, must/ketch
D- another veg burg, w/white bun :( must/ketch :eek: & grapes & 1 bud light lime

out at parents bbq'in ... not many options!

Feeling GREAT !! :D
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Day 7!

Feeling tired today, had a decaf coffee - wasn't enough so had another, but half decaf. Didn't change much and want to go back to sleep!

B - ww toast w/jam
L - brown rice in veg stock, peas & corn
D -lentil veg burger, another BBQ :)

I need more fruits & veg!
I have an old elliptical trainer but the tension setting is broken.... Wonder if it's worth even using?
KarenD2011

Postby KarenD2011 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Weigh in day tomorrow! :|
KarenD2011

Next