Finding freedom

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Finding freedom

Postby mrweetabix » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 am

Hello,

I've never thought of writing a journal, but perhaps it would be useful and you guys could add some input.

I am going to try and break free from rituals and attachments regarding food..and I realise I never let anyone else now my deep concerns and worries regarding food etc...so I'm going to do it now.

From today, I am going start a whole new way of eating, I have been attached to shredded wheat, and oatmeal for a long time and have always considered them safe foods ( possibly due to them being precisely measured etc...and habit I will have to break )

So from today I will be consuming.

Breakfast: Banana with a leaf of lettuce

Lunch: Large Apple with dandelion greens

Dinner: 240g cooked kidney beans with 240g cooked chickpeas topped with a small amount of water cress.

Later on: Honey melon

My weight as of now is 44.3kg, height is 182cm giving me a B.M.I of around 14 which is too low I know. I aim to reach 51kg which is the highest I've been in around 4 years and will giving me a B.M.I of around 16.

I am seeing a therapist every 2 months, but the dietitians etc are all for meat,dairy and protein etc...I don't say anything to them, but realise I'm on my own in finding the right path..with the except of this forum.

I will keep track of my daily progress and will appreciate your feedback.
mrweetabix

Re: Finding freedom

Postby Katydid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:13 am

here is how I would modify your menu to help you get into the McDougall way of eating.

Breakfast:
Cook 1 cup of dry oatmeal. Mash up the banana and add it in. Stir in 2 Tbs. raw chopped walnuts or ground flaxseed. Top with some cinnamon and dried raisins or cranberries. Save the lettuce for lunch.
Lunch:
Make a salad of the lettuce, watercress and dandelion greens. Add other fresh vegetables (tomato, cucumber, onion) and 1/4- 1/2 of an avocado. Top with a little balsamic vinegar. Bake or nuke 1 a large white or sweet potato. Chop the potato into the salad or dump the salad over the potato and eat. Have the apple for an afternoon snack.
Dinner:
Cook up a cup of brown rice. Dump the beans onto the brown rice. Season with onion, garlic, a little hot sauce (or salsa if you have it over there).
Evening snack:
Honey melon

Don't fear the starches. They are essential to your getting well. You need to get used to feeling full. Fullness (or heaviness) is a good thing. At your weight the addition of some whole food fats like nuts, seeds and avocado is OK. Good Luck.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby chewy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm

how is the beans,fruit,veg diet going?
chewy

Postby mrweetabix » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:59 am

Very well...but lets just say I'm more regular than ever.

Also my hair is really shiny too.

But I am considering swapping the beans the potatoes, as this will free me from having to measure, but just thinking whether I should or not
mrweetabix

Postby chewy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:02 am

keep on the beans! they are a perfect carbohydrate/starch! full of fiber,antioxidants,satisfying.....easy too.just open a can and pour on a salad,steamed veg or mashed up into a dip with raw vegetables...yum!
chewy

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning