Mary's Mini with beans

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mary's Mini with beans

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:03 am

Stats For this lovely Friday morniong

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!! 171 Lbs as of this AM.

I am delighted to see that number and am quite happy about it....

todays food includes

Breakfast
beans and fruit slaad

Lunch:
Garden Salad
Beans and greens again.

Yes I know boring sounding but ohhh soooo delicious. This is my last serving of the chili beans I made up so that means it is time to make more beans. I have not decided what kind I will make but currently i have the small pink beans some small white beans some lima beans and some pinto beans. I also have some green lentils and a package of split peas and a package of yellow split peas. I actually have a cupboard full of stuff.

So Dinner tonight is a bit up in the air.

I do know it will involve a large garden salad with a side of watermellon. Then that just leaves the type of beans. I may just go with one of my low sodium canned ones in the cupboard but we will see.

as to exercixe today will be swiming I am going to try to swim 2 full miles which will involve about an hour and a half of swimming for me. I am a slow poke. :) I decidedd to go ahead and push out a bit on the swimming today as I am not doing any other exercise except rototilling the garden which has no aerobic quality and is all use of upper arms and core.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby simoncat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Yeah, KA!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd lose especially after all that swimming and dancing. Swimming 2 miles, that is fantastic! Your menu sounds good. I love chili too. How do you cook your beans? I've been using my crockpot and cooking a lot of beans and freezing some. It's been working great so far. I found out one thing about beans, and you probably already know this; they don't keep too long. :\

Anyway, I guess I misled you when I said my piano playing isn't as good as a 5 year old. My daughter is not 5, but 14 yr old. However, I just went to a recital that she played in and there were some 5 year olds performing too, and quite a few of them did better than I can do! :roll: I guess I'll have to be patient with myself (am just glad I will never have to be in a recital).

Oh, yesterday and today have been beautiful here. I went out in the garden and didn't want to come in. The birds are really singing, including the robins and song sparrows as well as the cedar waxwings with their tinkling bell-like voices. It is paradise. I have been rolling the wheelbarrow around with dirt in it and planting things as well as top dressing. I lost a few plants this year and am not sure why. I think it might be because we had a very wet and very cold (but no frost) spring. Anyway, I was going to take a run today but decided I have too much gardening work that needs to be done. I still have tons of weeds that need to be pulled. Anyway, I went for a 2 hour walk yesterday. I'll probably walk tonight too.

Today's weight: 147.5 I learned something last night. I know that some people here say they can eat as many veggies as they want and not gain weight, but I don't think I am one of them. Wish I was. Why I am saying this is because last night when I ate my dinner (which was all veggies), I gave myself my usual portion and ate it all. The funny thing is I think my stomach is shrinking and I really felt stuffed about 3/4 of the way through it. I should have stopped there, but didn't and ate all of it. I suffered the consequences. When I overeat, I tend to get really tired and that's exactly what happened. I felt really tired for a while. Next time, I won't try to eat it all, if I already feel full. I think my leptin is starting to work normally now.

Today's Menu:

Bfast: oatmeal with sugar-free applesauce

Lunch: salad all from my own garden except the small mango!

Dinner: black beans/salsa & salad

Well, better get outside and pull some more weeds. Now, if only I could use the buttercups in a salad!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:29 am

So yesterday was my last day on Mary's mini with beans.

I fell like I was very successful on it.

Yes I suppose it wasn't a true Mary's Mini because some of my meals were with an added potato and a couple of them were without beans at all due to what ever was happening that day.

But over all I feel I was very succesful

I accomplished most of my goals or am close to it.

My weight this morning is 170 lbs.
I have gotten myself kickstarted back into exercising on a regular basis.

Pants that were ohhh so tight, you know suck in your gut to button them at the waist are now loose.

I have lost 8 lbs and that in and of itself is monumental. I lose weight very slowly. and I tend to go up and down on the scale one day being one weight and the next day weighing 2 lbs more usually no matter what I eat.

This is due to the pre diabetus and because of menopaus and becasue I have always had difficulty losing weight.

Prior to this Mini I was trying to eat only potatoes for my starch but they were not doing it for me. I was losing no weight and was very drowsy in the afternooon and was starting to have some joint pain. I had read a couple of posts by Geoffrey Levins and that is what prompted me to try the beans. I am eternally gratefull that he wrote about the blood sugar issue and how different starches affected his blood sugar levels. I am sure there are those with blood sugar issues who can eat the potatoes and do fine... but I was not... and if there is one thing I have learned lately, it is that I, and I alone, am really responsible for what I do and what I eat, and as an individual I need to tweak my diet to get it to the place I need it to be.

Beans seem to be the starch that works for me.. I believe it is because of the blood sugar insulin resistance issue.
I will continue having them for most of my meals, but not every meal.

I love swimming it is a relaxing sport I love how I feel when I get the free style strokes right and feeling my body slice through the water. I love that it is fun. THe dancing is more difficult but in time I am sure I will get better at it. I have decidede to forgo running for a little bit longer until my weight drops a bit more, as it is hard not to injur myself carrying all this extra weight. But I do like to run too...

IF you are thinking about it... the first thing you should do is get a pair of good shoes... do not skimp on 20 dollar ones... I like to get the trail shoes because I do like to run along nature trails. Find a nice easy steady mile eating gait... don't try to run super fast... you don't need to... just a nice steady 5 - 6 mile an hour pace is perfect.
The same goes for walking. you do not need to try to walk supper fast... just pick an easy comfortable pace and enjoy your time... walk with a friend which is even better.
Anyway,

I am starting a new thread with Simoncat

"The two Cats"

Please come and join us with comments or fun stuff you have been doing or any questions.

We will be continueing with McDougalling but also sharing our lives and what we eat and would love to have any of you who want to join in.
Last edited by kittyadventures on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:39 am

Simoncat... yay for the beautiful weather we have been having some stellar weather too.

as to the piano duet I found it...and I am still sending it to you.. I play on a below 5 year old skill level so ROFL... you will do great with the duet thing. it is short and fun and I dare say even your 14 year old will love it.

I will try to get to the office .. there are a couple of other duets in there .. a little more challenging that you might like to try too.

Regarding the beans... I usually either cook tehm slowly in a pot on the stove or I cook them in the pressure cooker.. I have done them in my crock pot... but sometimes they are not cooked all teh way through with it.

As to getting them to last a bit longer (Two weeks usually safely in the fridge...) I take them out of the pan and put them into containers that hold about a one cup serving or in containers taht hold two cups. (Ironically, old butter containers or yogurt containers)

I also, once they are in the containers, put them at the farthest back of the refridgerator, where it is coldest. I like to have them in those containers so I can just pull them out and take them to work. The containers are big enough that I can top them up with my greens before I head to work and then Micro zapp them for 3-4 minutes and mix the greens in and eat. If you leave the beans in the pan they don't last as long as I think they dont get uniformly cold.. or maybe the metal and tomato react to it... not sure why. another trick I use is to put them in the containers and freeze them... IF you don't have any plastic containers you can get those glad ones they are with blue lids... come in packages of four or six. they work really well too.

kittyadventures

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Kitty, you are doing so well! Way to go on Mary's Mini. Beans are such a comfort food for me, are they for you?
talkingmountain

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Talkingmountain.. Yes they are a comfort food for me... and a big bonus has been how my bloodsugar does not spike when I eat them... and for the first time I am really losing weight,... not just a half pound a week but real weight loss. I am also staying full on them.. longer than on potatoes. Yes I know, people love their potatoes, and really so do I, but I needed something more, at least for now..
If any one is curious I consumed and still am about 1.5 cups of beans a day usually closer to 1 cup.
About 1/3 c with break fast fruit
1/2 to 3/4 c for lunch
and about 1/2 cup for dinner.

kittyadventures

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals