Mary's Mini with beans

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mary's Mini with beans

Postby Katydid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:23 am

Rosey wrote:
simoncat wrote:It also drives me crazy that she is so skinny (size 0) and isn't as active as I am!! What gives?? I never /quote]

If you compare the pants now days with our old sizes they aren't the same as they used to be. Our old 14's are same size as like size 10 now.

This is very true. Vanity sizing is getting terrible. I have a size 14 buisness suit from the 1980s that fits me exactly the same as the size 8 suits I get at Macy's.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:39 am

TAA DAAA! weight this Am 174. ::::Does the happy dance:::

Breakfast is a bowl of Vegetarian Chili, it is canned so a bit salty but I will be making my own home made chili this weekend so no more of the store stuff.. Yay
And also a Fuji Apple and a cup of lemon zinger herbal tea...
This is my all time new favorite tea.
I have been drinking it since I quit drinking coffee and I really like the zingy lemony fruity flavor of it. I also like raspberry zinger MMMM MMMM good.

I am loving this marys mini... the beans are working really well for me. I am not having the blood sugar swings between eating...and I feel great. I have not had to do any snacking. I did end up with a banana last night around 9:30 as I stayed up really late. 1:30 AM

I have Bunco at my house tonight so I am going to go ahead and post what my lunch and dinner will be in case I can't get on later today

Lunch is red Kidney beans 1/2 cup, with the stir fry frozen veggie mix and of course a garden salad

Dinner is Green beans, roasted potatoes, garden salad, mixed fruit and veggie tray(carrots cauliflower, broccolli, cuccumber, mushrooms, peppers) oh and I will also be having a little bowl of gluten free mixed berry crumble... home made. so I can keep any sugar to a minimum.

:-D
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am

Katydid wrote:
Rosey wrote:
simoncat wrote:It also drives me crazy that she is so skinny (size 0) and isn't as active as I am!! What gives?? I never /quote]

If you compare the pants now days with our old sizes they aren't the same as they used to be. Our old 14's are same size as like size 10 now.

This is very true. Vanity sizing is getting terrible. I have a size 14 buisness suit from the 1980s that fits me exactly the same as the size 8 suits I get at Macy's.
Kate

:lol: I heard they had to create those size 0's
one of my daughters wears a 3 and i swear ti is the same as the size 5 I used to wear when I was in high school

kittyadventures

Postby simoncat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Yes, I guess sizing is different these days. Do you think it's different for shoes too or are my feet just getting bigger? I used to wear an 8 1/2 and now I wear a 9 1/2. Maybe my arch is falling??? Don't know. Makes me wonder. :duh:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh! KittyAdventures. I am cheering for you.

Today, I did not lose anything. Boo. Hoo! However, I am still plugging along and will be thankful that I have lost some. Went to the store today and said, "Hello", to the Kettle Corn. Funny, it wasn't as tempting and I felt pretty full.

Thanks for the encouraging words about my daughter. I worry about her a lot as her coloring isn't always good. She takes vitamins because, "what's a mother to do?" I wish I had been more forceful when she was younger about eating right. The schools certainly aren't the best for encouraging good eating. Pizza, is mostly what they serve!

I understand your "meat background". When I was growing up my father made me eat liver. Yeuchhhhhhhhh!! I remember him standing over me and me crying. (I always knew it wasn't good for you!) My Dad was a good guy though; he just thought he was doing the right thing. Boy, am I glad I don't have to eat that anymore!!!

Today's Menu:

B-fast: Yam with 2 Tbsp maple syrup; Tulsi tea w/ sugar

Lunch: b. potato with ketchup; salad greens/peppers

Dinner: Split pea/potato soup with broccoli

Snack: banana

'til tomorrow . . .
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 am

Well, I've lost another 1/2 lb. I'm now at 151.5. I started at 155 this week, so I'm happy. Didn't exercise yesterday, but am taking the dog for a long walk early today before it gets hot. Have the day off, and want to get a lot done. Here's my plan for the day:

B-fast: b. potato with ketchup
Lunch: b. potato with nut. yeast, onions & garlic + frozen steamed veggies from Cosco
Dinner: Split pea/potato soup (I made a lot of this)
Snack: Apple

Have a healthy day!
[/url]
simoncat

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Simoncat you go girl...
WOW you are doing great.

Well today I had no weight loss but not too big of a surprise as I had that really salty Chili.

so I expect a big loss tomorrow morning.

so today still at 174. which is really amazing i love it.

todays menu is.

Breakfast:
A large Garden salad with warm pinto beans about 1/3 cup.

Lunch:
green beans, garden salad with about 1/2 cup kidney beans mixed in.

Dinner is still up in the air as I am not sure what I want to do
I am thinking about a spinach onion and potato Skillet. We love this and it is really easy to make.

( the bonus is I can easily cook some italian sausage on the side for hubby and add in on his plate.) I have a mixed marriage Carnivore and Vegetarian Bwahahahahah!
I have been subbing in vegetarian meat in dishes where it can easily be disguised. Because I am a sneaky wife LOL And maybe I will do this.

and I plan on walking tonight.

I will aslo be attempting to create a vegetarian chili with lots of veggies mixed in with the beans this weekend. I need to stay away from the canned chili for the rest of my journey with MAry's Mini.

Hope you get lots done today on your day off.

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:07 am

So here i am on a lovely rainy Saturday Morning.

Gahhhhh!!! Where has my lovely California weather gone?

I did not get a chance to weigh myself before Breakfast this morning but that is okay I will weigh in for sure tomorrow morning

Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal with a teaspoon of brown sugar and 1 .5 ounces of raisins, and a bit of soy milk just enough to wet it and a Large glass of water. I usually don't have any sugar in my oatmeal but on the weekend I make a pan of it for me and hubby.

I will be making the vegetarian chili in my little pressure cooker today and that will be lunch.
I will post my recipe when I finish if it tastes good.

I love plain bean chili but have been enjoying the dennisons vegetarian chili and wanted to try making my own with even more veggies mixed in. I guess really then it becomes a type of stew :lol:

I will also try to fit in a walk when it isn't raining . Maybe this afternoon... For now I am just happily snuggled up with one of the kitties :-D

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Okay just finished lunch which was a large garden salad and a bowl of the vegetarian vegetable chili

Here is the recipe for it. (Makes 11 one cup servings)

1 pound pkg pinto beans
6 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1 Table spoon chili powder

1 c finely chopped celery
1 c chopped carrots
1 c corn
1 1/4 cup or 1 large chopped sweet pepper (orange, yellow or red)
2 cups or 1 large chopped yellow onion
1 14.5 -15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce or tomato puree (your preference)

Rinse beans thoroughly even if it says they were prewashed.

To make beans less gassy
either soak over night or bring to a boil remove from heat cover and leave setting for 2 hours.
drain and rinse in colander till water runs clear

in your pressure cooker add the beans and 6 cups of water, chili powder, salt and pepper. cook per prescribed times for your pressure cooker and altitude. Each one will have it's own times, you start counting time per when the pressure releif valve starts to jiggle. usually times are anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

If you are not using a pressure cooker double the spices and cook the beans for about 2 hours till soft.

I chopped all my veggies while the beans cooked. i never leave my kitchen when the pressure cooker is going. In case I need to lower the heat.

once the beans are cooked add your tomatoes and tomato sauce and all the vegetables to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 more minutes till the carrots are to your liking.

that is it.

IT made a lovely spicy chili and the added vegetables give it a sweet flavor under the spicy chili flavor.

kittyadventures

Postby simoncat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Went for a run today. No weight change. Am having a hard day with allergies & scalp. I had an orange today and I now think I may be allergic to citrus and/or corn as well. Not happy about it. Saw a short video from Dr. M. re autoimmune problems. Will post more tomorrow. :-(
[/url]
simoncat

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Simoncat sorry you are having troubles.
Regarding the itchy scalp... thought I would say maybe you should check your shampoo and see if it may be agrievating your scalp.

http://glutenfreecosmeticcounter.blogspot.com/2007/11/here-is-very-interesting-list-of.html

If you are really sensitive it may be irritating you.

I just checked my shampoo I use Pantene it looks like it is gluten free. But not totally sure.

Some that I have found I can not use are Sauve which has nothing to do with gluten but some other ingredient in the shampoo. I also can not use the John Freida line IT dries my scalp and hair out. I look like I have straw hair after a week of using it... I also have issues with lots of differeent Laundry soaps... I use arm and Hammer now with good results.

I have learned to avoid some of the most popular brands.

I think My mom(she also had celiac) had good results with unscented cheer but it always makes me get a rash.

Citrus is one of those fruits that can affect people with celiac. or IBS. I can eat small amounts of it but i have to be careful of it.
An occasional orange is fine for me but I do have to be careful.

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 am

The news for today.

Weight 173

Breakfast
Fruit salad of 1 banana several strawberries and a handfull of grapes all cut up with 1/3 cup cold rinsed kidney beans mixed in.
I know it sounds strange but I have to admit it is very tasty the combination of the beans and fruit is very good.
I am also having a cup of raspberry zinger herbal tea.

Lunch will be a salad on top of my heated vegetable chili.

I am undecided about dinner at this time.

So I am off to do some gardening now. I will check in a bit later.

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 am

Last night's dinner was 1 cup of my vegetable chili over a baked potato and heated berries with oatmeal crumbles over the top.
Exercise was pulling weeds in my flower garden all afternoon (four wheelbarrows full)

today my wieght is the same 173.

Breakfast is 1 cup of my vegetable chili and a banana.

Lunch will be another cup of the vegetable chili and a garden salad and some french cut green beans.

Dinner will be Asparagus
spanish black beans (recipe to follow later today)
vinegrette coleslaw (recipe to follow)

I am considering making the banana ice cream everyone has been raving about for desert, as it is just fruit and a bit of milk (I will be using either unsweetened almond or unsweetened soy)

Exercise : I will be at the gym this afternoon for an hour of treadmill work out.. a combination of jogging and hill work. Then more gardening... which is pulling weeds.

kittyadventures

Postby simoncat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, Sunday I had to go to Seattle for my daughter's piano recital. I was pretty good; however, since I hardly ever go out to eat (like 5 or 6 times a year and sometimes less), I decided to treat myself kindly. I had a non-fat mocha and 5 potato chips and a Thai Tea. Those were my sins. I did eat at a Thai restaurant, as I couldn't find and didn't really want to go to a steak house for a potato (that sounded too depressing for me). Anyway, I had a wonderful vegan meal with brown rice; it was a ginger dish with all sorts of veggies and a bean sauce that I know had soy in it. The soy didn't seem to affect me as it was probably only a small amount. I had a good time. My weight today is still 151.5 lbs.

As far as the scalp thing goes, I don't think it's shampoo, because I use an organic shampoo and I've really tested shampoos and thought about that. However, my scalp doesn't hurt after I shampoo. I no longer use any hair coloring because it used to cause my eyes to burn. I really don't miss it and like feeling free. I actually like white hair (although mine has a ways to go before it's considered white!). So, I was happy to give that up. My scalp doesn't burn today and I think it is oranges as I've noticed when I eat them my mouth starts to burn. I'm sad cause I just got a beautiful box of oranges from Cosco :duh: I guess I'll give most of them to the food bank.

Anyway, KA you are doing great!!! Another Pound, yay :-D for you. Sounds like you are enjoying it too.

I'll be glad when school gets out. It's tiring to be around the kids all day especially at the end of the year. When I talk to them I might as well be talking in Latin, as they don't listen well at this time of year.

Well here's what I've had today so far:

B-fast: small potatoes with maple syrup/banana

Lunch: small potato with ketchup and salad with carrots/herbs/lettuce

Snack: Apple

Dinner: probably yam with asparagus/broccoli

What kind of garden do you have? Flowers? Veggies? or both?
[/url]
simoncat

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:34 pm

I have both . I have 3 flower gardens,
One a very small shade garden. one a medium sized half shade half sun flower garde and one huge one 30 X 50 feet.
then I have a big vegetable garden with 5 raised beds. and room for several more. I have fruit trees and berry vines too.
Unfortunately due to our weird spring and winter weather I have nothing planted in the veggie garden yet and have just gotten the winter weeds out of the flower gardens or at least most of them.

Then we have a half acre of pasture with 3 sheep and five hens and a rooster. I used to have ducks too but they expired and I have not replaced them. (They have been bred to be eaten and so they do not do so well when you don't eat them THey are greatt he first several years but then start to have leg injuries as their legs are not strong enough to support the extra meat. If I get any again they will have to be a different bred rather than the normal white ducks.

We have a full acre so half is yard and house and half is horse barn and pasture. I love it. IT is a lot of work but very relaxing at the same time, if that makes sense.

IT sounds like you did very well on your trip into seattle.

So my jump back into exercising totally pooped me out LOL.

I may not get to any gardening in today.

kittyadventures

Postby simoncat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi, KA. I know I just wrote, but when I read your post, I thought WOW, we have a lot in common. I have a large flower garden all around the house; probably not as large as yours, but I sure understand the wheelbarrows of weeds part. OMG, I weeded 2 last week and I don't even want to think how much more I have to do. I have those awful Western Buttercups. I think I probably have 5 more wheelbarrow loads. So, right now my garden kind of looks like a buttercup garden.

As far as food garden, my neighbors let me garden in their yard. It's a pretty big space (not quite as big as yours, though). I love it. I just started gardening in it last year. So far, I've grown kale, chard, various herbs, and cabbage (which for some reason didn't do too well). This year I am growing the same things except instead of cabbage I thought I'd try kohlrabi. I can't really grow tomatoes. Here in the Pacific Northwest, I've never tasted a tomato that was as good as the ones I had when I lived in the south. OOOOh I miss those! They tasted like the sun was right in them.

Oh, I also have chickens and ducks. They have a large pen 20' x 15' plus their house. I let them out on the weekends and watch them closely as we have coyotes and eagles that would like them as a nice meal. I know what you mean about the way the meat chickens are grown and get too big for their legs. It's terrible. My chickens live a really good life and are buff orphingtons and americanas. I spoil them and feed them wild birdseed mix and organic non-soy feed. I don't eat their eggs because I am allergic to them, but I give them to friends who would buy eggs anyway and are not McDougalling. You are so lucky, I'd love to have more animals, but don't have enough time right now.

We have also had cool weather which was hard on my plants. Are you in the Pacific Northwest too?
[/url]
simoncat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals