Making New Habits

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Making New Habits

Postby willing2believe » Mon May 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Well, I'm back. Not sure why I left but I've been lurking (mostly) for several months now and time to stop lurking and start working my program.

One of my problems with any lifestyle change is that I am a creature of habit and I have a very hard time changing my routines. Well, my routines have been changing and are about to change big time. I am selling my house. Well, that is if the inspection on Friday goes ok. At the end of the month everything about my daily routine will have to change and I have to believe it will be easier if I have already made some of those changes.

Also, my mom is probably going to come and help out with the moving- by staying in the house while the packers and movers are here in case I can't get the time off work. I have been trying to get her to follow this program and she likes the idea of it but hasn't so far made any steps to following it. It would be nice if I had the program down by then so she gets at least a week of following it simply because that is all the food that is available.

She and I are also going to the 10 day program- either in August or October- depending when I can get the time off work. I am expecting an inheritance in the next couple of months that I am going to use to take us both there. It would be nice if I had some experience with the program before I go. I think it would be a good kick in the pants for me and she could really use the medical supervision when converting (so maybe I shouldn't push it so hard while she's here). She has a number of medical issues and while she doesn't have any known cardiovascular disease her mom died of a stroke, her dad had multiinfarct demensia and she has a brother who has had a heart attack.

I have been really lucky medically. My numbers have always been good with a cholesterol in the 130's, good BP and blood sugars although I do have some bowel issues I think are IBS. That seems to be changing though. I have been having some abdominal pain that my MD thinks is gall bladder related. I am having further testing later this week although I will refuse surgery if it is suggested- I am not hurting bad enough to go there. My BP was also the highest it has ever been at my last doctors appointment- 156/84- that is officially considered high. It has never been higher that 124/70 before and usually runs lower than that. I currently take no meds, and my doctor didn't suggest any yet, so if I intend for that to continue I have to make some major changes to my current lifestyle.

So, today I have eaten horribly. I am about to make the Fat Free Vegans enchilada casserole which will be todays dinner and tomorrows lunch. I will make tomorrows oatmeal and put it in the refridgerator so there will be no "well I'll just stop at McD's on my way to work". I will also make brown rice in the rice cooker to begin tomorrows dinner (unrolled cabbage rolls) and cook some sweet potatoes in the oven for snacks. I think that will set me up for the next several days.

Any suggestions on sticking out the initial period are greatly appreciated. I am firmly caught in the pleasure trap and struggling to get out.
[/url]
willing2believe

Re: Making New Habits

Postby f1jim » Mon May 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Habits, good or bad, are learned responses to things. They are especially easy to create around high fat, sugar, and salty foods. You know enough about the Pleasure Trap to see your predicament. That's half the battle. Doug Lisle would be the first to tell you to remove yourself from their effects on your body. Clear out the junk and fill your cabinets and fridge with only health giving things.
You can create new habits the same way you created the old ones. Make the right decisions every time till that is ingrained in your brain. Do it long enough to make it your new routine. Don't give the garbage food a chance with your diet. It's not easy but it is simple. Simple, baby steps done every time become the way you permanently walk!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby victw » Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Congrats willing2believe,

It sounds like you are off to a good start and have a good plan in place. Strong place to start. Continue listening to your own great ideas.

Best wishes.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby willing2believe » Mon May 30, 2011 5:56 pm

f1jim wrote: Clear out the junk and fill your cabinets and fridge with only health giving things.
You can create new habits the same way you created the old ones. Make the right decisions every time till that is ingrained in your brain. Do it long enough to make it your new routine. Don't give the garbage food a chance with your diet. It's not easy but it is simple. Simple, baby steps done every time become the way you permanently walk!
f1jim

One of my problems is that I spend all day in my car. One of the habits I am trying to start is actually eating at home and I have been successfully eating dinner at home for the past couple of weeks. I am used to eating most of my meals from fast food in the car while traveling.

I know I can do this, I did it 7 years ago and lost 140#. I don't have the support I did then which is one of the reasons I decided to start posting here. It wasn't unusual for me, at that point, to call someone and say "my car is wanting to drive thru a fast food, talk to me until I get home so I don't let it." Now that I have a smart phone maybe I need to make posting here my priority in those situations.

I know I can do this- I just have to decide I'm going to and I have to decide that every day. I do know that once I get these habits started they are easy for me to follow most of the time- if I will follow them and not start sliding. It becomes very much "this is my food" in my mind and "this food is not mine, I don't eat food that is not mine."

The first month is the hardest so maybe I need to make the commitment to post something at least daily for the first month.

Thanks for the suport Jim- you always seem very supportive.

Boy am I getting wordy. :roll:
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Mon May 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for your support vic.
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Tue May 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Well today was good. By the time I finished making everything last night I was too tired to eat much dinner so just had a bowl of rice. Tried the enchilada casserole today and it was wonderful. I think the next time I make it I'll add a layer of greens of some sort and a layer of corn to up the veggie content. Will probably freeze half of it for later.

I will wait and do the other casserole tomorrow and then maybe make Chef AJ's disappearing lasagna at the end of the week. One of the things I know has been a problem has been that starting out things have seemed so bland that its hard to keep to it. I know my tastes will change but it's hard to eat food I don't like waiting for that to happen. Well, today's casserole tells me that doesn't have to be the case. In fact making 2-3 casseroles a weekend and freezing half of each may even make prep during the week much easier.

I got a book I had ordered "75 ways to love your oatmeal" and at first glance I'm a little dissapointed. All of the recipes I've looked at so far have egg or Toriani sugar free syrup. There are some wonderful sounding recipes so I'll probably use some as a guide and see what I come up with.

On to tomorrow.
[/url]
willing2believe

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning