10 Day Mary's Mini with Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 10 Day Mary's Mini with Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes

Postby Chile » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks. It'll be a little while yet as we just did an almost 2 mile walk with the dogs and I want to run to the store to check my BP. Can't do it right after exercise, though.

Also need to eat some breakfast and I really can't decide what to have! Should I have hashbrowns again or splurge and have some Shredded Wheat n' Bran with my newly purchased oat milk? Decisions, decisions...haven't had those for a week and a half!
Chile

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:31 am

Hash browns, hands down. Its my breakfast every day (that or potatoes O'brien) but I add tons of kale and eat it on arugula if I can.

I am doing a partial mary's mini by trying to eat potatoes most of the time with a regular meal thrown in for dinner every couple days. Today I made two kinds (I had a friend to help chop and peel)-10 pounds of boiled potatoes (since I ate a couple pounds yesterday!!)and 5 sweet potato convected into beefsteak fries.

Oh, safeway brand frozen potatoes were on sale for 2.49 a bag, but as I said their O'brien bag was smaller!! The tricksters!
StarchBeet

Postby Chile » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Final report (cross-posted in the Lounge)

Here are the results (short version) of doing Mary's Mini eating primarily potatoes, vegetables, and a few fruits for 10 days.

Completely satisfied with food.
    Not hungry; less snacking.
    No cravings for unhealthy foods. NONE!
    Simplified menu.
    Minimized cramping (female thing).
    Plenty of energy.
    Chronic mystery tooth pain significantly reduced.
    Weight loss of 9 pounds.

I resisted trying this for a long time, but I'm glad I finally did.
Last edited by Chile on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chile

Postby mtns » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 pm

I have been following your journal and I am so impressed. I have been stuck at the the same weight for a while and you inspired me to do the Mary's mini. You did awesome. Congradulations.
Kathy
mtns

Postby burgh_grl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Chile wrote:Final report (cross-posted in the Lounge)

Here are the results (short version) of doing Mary's Mini eating primarily potatoes, vegetables, and a few fruits for 10 days.

Completely satisfied with food.
    Not hungry; less snacking.
    No cravings for unhealthy foods. NONE!
    Simplified menu.
    Minimized cramping (female thing).
    Plenty of energy.
    Chronic mystery tooth pain significantly reduced.
    Weight loss of 9 pounds.

I resisted trying this for a long time, but I'm glad I finally did. The long version of this report, with more background, is posted on my blog.
YAYYYY !!! GREAT going Chile!! You DID it girl!! :D This is sooo going to help you to proceed from HERE, now tht that's behind you! EXCELLENT job! And...you've certainly INSPIRED me too. STarting mine...tomorrow! I'll be hopefully very well also! THANK YOU...for all the help!! Later...donna aka burgh_grl
burgh_grl

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:11 pm

I see Debbie. Here the Oreida brand is two for $6 bucks and Safeway made their price $2.79 each but the sale brought it down to $2.49. Still they made that bag smaller too.

Way to go Chili; thanks for your ongoing support and help. Congratulations on making wonderful health choices. That weight lost is EXCELLENT!!!

I hope I lost some weight this week, but if not it will go eventually.
StarchBeet

Postby Chile » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks, ya'll. Others who have done the mini inspired me. (I searched the board before starting.) I'm happy to hear I'm inspiring others. I've inspired myself!

But...I am so happy to not be making a potato-centered meal tonight. I still haven't decided what to make but either pasta or whole wheat pizza are at the top of the list since I have great big fat portabella mushrooms on hand.

I'd love to grill them for a "burger" but I can't find a single bread - not even the McDougall-legal ones - that does not contain some form of soy. With the summer heat, I really don't feel like baking a loaf myself either, which means I'll probably just do flat (non-yeasted) breads until fall. I can easily get oil-free, soy-free whole wheat tortillas, corn tortillas, even whole wheat-corn tortillas, Matzo bread/crackers, and the Kabuli crusts. Guess I need to get into wraps.
Chile

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 am

HI Chili. Well done.

and you need some major kudos for the leaving off of the frappachinos.

You did GREAT!
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Chile » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 pm

You know, having the soy allergy makes that so much easier! But, even so, I've really had no cravings for them. None, which is wonderful. We'll see what happens come winter when the temperatures drop, but I'm hoping by then to have a good herbal tea habit going. :-D
Chile

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Chile wrote:You know, having the soy allergy makes that so much easier! But, even so, I've really had no cravings for them. None, which is wonderful. We'll see what happens come winter when the temperatures drop, but I'm hoping by then to have a good herbal tea habit going. :-D

LOL.. Well what I found was when i finally did go have that decafe mocah after not drinking one for several months was that they tasted horrible. It truley was my last one. I had to throw it out.

I hope you find the same for yourself too.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Christine in Cali » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Chili...You mentioned having boxes of smaller clothes as I do too, some from like 20 years ago! It is sooooo fun to get out those clothes and try them on as you progress. It's like shopping all over again. Keep up the good work, you'll get there before you know it! Now I have bags of clothes that are too big that will be givin to the Goodwill. I refuse to store them or even look at them again....nope not going back!
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby victw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Portobello recipe without soy

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/recipes.htm

this one has a little tamari - not sure what to sub it with - braggs???
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/recipes.htm

I often search over just the newsletters.
http://www.google.com/search?q=portobel ... 38&bih=584

Congrats.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby burgh_grl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:58 pm

victw wrote:Portobello recipe without soy

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/mar/recipes.htm

this one has a little tamari - not sure what to sub it with - braggs???
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/recipes.htm

I often search over just the newsletters.
http://www.google.com/search?q=portobel ... 38&bih=584

Congrats.
Vic

WOW Vic, thanks for this link! Anyone know what can substitute for poblano's?? here in Fla. I sure havent seen em, but these recipes look AWESOME! Appreciate you putting this in here :) burgh_grl
burgh_grl

Postby Chile » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks, Vic, but that portabella recipe does actually contain soy ... in the burger buns. I have not found a single yeasted bread product that does not contain soy. Soy Lecithin is in them all, even the frozen super-healthy ones. Even Ezekial's Sprouted Whole Wheat bread contains sprouted soybeans.

Flat breads are my only choice, and that's fine for now. I'll just have a portabella burger wrap. :)

I've found some recipes online for soy sauce substitute. The main ingredient is beef broth. So, I'll substitute for the beef broth in the substitute for soy sauce. LOL

Christine, I plan to keep one pair of my largest pants and largest shirt. They will be my "oh wow" examples when I get to my goal weight. I'll bet I can almost wear the pants on one leg by that point. Eek.

Wait, that's not right. I'll bet I can get both legs in one leg of the fat pants when I'm all skinny and stuff. There, that sounds better.
Chile

Postby kkrichar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 am

Hey Chile, You sound great. What did you decide to eat after the mini was over? How are you feeling?

I love getting too small for my clothes. It's the best feeling! I've been buying a few too many new clothes lately. I keep reminding myself that I won't be this size for long so go easy on the shopping! Can't wait to go down another size!!

I'm on day 5 of following MWL 100% and I feel terrific. No cravings so far.

We can do this!!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals