Lose weight or bust!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Lose weight or bust!

Postby Rosey » Wed May 11, 2011 7:34 am

Have you read McDougall's program for maximum weightloss? If not I would read it. I've been losing good following it and I'm never starving.
Rosey

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed May 11, 2011 8:17 am

I would not eat the mint, Carroll. It will only lead to wanting more mints. Been there, done that!! :lol:

The soup sounds great, especially with the addition of the potatoes. It will really help keep those cravings away.

When I have gone off plan & am struggling to get back on, I take a few days where I know have nothing going on & just take it easy, I dont go anywhere, especially the grocery store. Usually within a day or 2 those cravings go away & your diet is already pretty good, so hang in there.

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby dragana » Wed May 11, 2011 8:18 am

Every time I try to use shortcuts and cut out everything but greens out of my diet, it backfires. The initial weight loss is amazing but I fall off that bandwagon as soon as I need to rely on willpower. If it happens I am not around ice-cream, chips and pizza then it works great. But if anyone around me eats it I enlist my will power and usually I fail. Maybe not immediately but soon enough. There is a research that actually proves that every time you need to use will power for something the will power muscle gets weaker!!! Seriously you do need more starches, you need to feel not just full but satisfied - it is strange but it does work.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Postby Anna Green » Wed May 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Dancing with your kids and knowing that's what is good is seriously the best attitude. Thanks for sharing your joy.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Hey! How many calories a day are you doing? Sounds like you are burning a lot running after your babies and exercising. Maybe you could figure out how much you are burning each day and just go a few hundred under that. I know it isn't recommended to count calories but perhaps it would be helpful to you.
Anna Green

Postby victw » Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Hmm - You don't say what your current BMI is - 145 lbs isn't alot depending on your height.

If you don't have a lot to loose it can be a slow process.

I've followed your cookbook edition and it seems that even though the kids are eating you often mention skipping meals.

Perhaps use of the cron o meter to ensure proper nutrition would be prudent.

Best wishes.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby victw » Sat May 14, 2011 10:07 am

I'm not suggesting you use the cron to count calories.

I'm suggesting you use the cron to verify nutrition.

That being said - I know when I started using it - I got a little fixated on the calories. But it was still interesting to note how the small tastes of things off plan impacted the whole days calories.

I am in a similar situation - I've lost 13 lbs since December - and I'm now sitting right at the top of the chart for a healthy BMI. But I know this isn't a good weight for me because I still have fat around my abdomen. For long term health I need to keep losing.

I'm considering a few strategies. One - increasing my exercise. Dr. Isabeau does a talk at the McDougall program about getting a C in fitness. I'm probably getting a C- right now - and that's grading on a curve. Mostly it's the aerobic that I need to work on - I've ordered a pedometer to get a better idea of how close to 10000 steps I am and I was inspired by the jump rope article Jeff posted on his facebook - so I ordered one - I'm planning on using it on the days I have less time to walk and or taking a shorter walk than I prefer - plus it sounds fun :)

I know I include some off plan things in my diet - they are mostly stress related as I am getting laid off at work and the whole environment has become very frustrating - so I've been known to visit the candy jar for comfort. It might just be an excuse - but just not something I'm willing to tackle since we don't bring candy home and after I'm laid off the candy jar won't be around - of course the underlying problem is the taste for sweets.

The other thing I've considered doing is counting the servings of veggies and fruits I eat a day. I'd like to increase this - get it up to 11 a day. If I can do this I think some of the other things will naturally take care of themselves.

Sorry - back to you - I think you might be in a little bit of a catch 22 - if you are someone with a small appetite - and with chasing kids you occasionally miss meals - then by concentrating on veggies when you eat it is entirely possible that you aren't getting enough calories. Which might explain the lethargy. And might be setting you up for high calorie indulgences. It's hard to say. Which might actually mean counting calories - but only as a source of knowledge to help understand the big picture.

Best wishes.
Vic
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
victw

Postby victw » Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Carroll wrote: Am I just being too impatient?

I think you answered your own question.

Carroll wrote: I added in the walking at the start of the month and it's been about 8 days since I started watching what I eat more carefully... limiting the amounts and especially the higher calorie starches. Do I just need to get over some sort of hump or something?

Here's the deal - how do we gain 10 extra pounds??? It only takes 100 extra calories a day over the course of year!!!

It takes the burning of approximately 3500 calories to lose a pound. When someone has 100 pounds to lose - the differential is huge so the weight loss happens fast.

The calorie difference to maintain 155 pounds vs 145 pounds is approximately only 145 calories.

So for me it could take about 24 days to lose a pound.
Carroll wrote: Would eating one higher calorie meal every couple of weeks be enough to hold me back from losing at all? It just feels so hard to imagine when I can eat a couple higher calorie meals a day and not gain... but I must be missing something, right? What could it be!

See above

Carroll wrote: feeling down and desperate... any thoughts/ideas/suggestions appreciated! I think I am just feeling sorry for myself (obviously)... I mean I could be eating whatever/whenever and not losing weight, ugh! But I don't want to sabotage my efforts....?

Are you really deprived because you won't get a granola parfait??? That's what it sounds like. Might want to revisit Dr. Lisle's info on the Pleasure Trap.

Consider rereading Dr.McDougall's articles on set points.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... ushing.htm

Best wishes.
Vic

P.S. Sorry if this came out harsh - I'm tackling those last 10 lbs - but I know that every time I do more than eat to live is another day I live with those same 10 pounds.
victw

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu May 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Carroll,

I am sure you will say no, but why dont you take a week & eat breakfast, lunch & dinner, with a minimum of a good sized potato, (I am talking about one of those hefty russetts or a couple big yukon golds or another kind of large serving of starch with each meal, in addition to all your veggies? I mean I keep seeing all these 1/2 a small potato, a couple pieces, that is not a starch based diet. Even if you are not hungry, just eat. I have days when I am not hungry, but I still find that I do better if I eat my 3 meals a day. I may make the evening meal a little bit smaller, if I am that not hungry or it is later in the evening, but I still eat.

At least give it a try, stop worrying about what the cronometer says, weigh yourself the first day, then weigh yourself a week later. Do not add anything that is not MWL legal & see what happens.

It is interesting, the days that I eat the most starch, those are the days that I lose the most. I have days I just have a salad, the rest is all starch & I still lose.

Did you watch Mike's youtube presentation? Look at all the food that is on his plate. And look at ET, look at all she eats & yet she is still losing weight, even though she is well under her goal. Something just doesn't add up here.

Just a suggestion.

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby burgh_grl » Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 am

Carroll wrote:Yesterday was rough! I couldn't eat until around 4pm when the numbness finally started to wear off from the dentist. I sauteed up some onions in balsamic vinegar, and then threw in some chopped cabbage and a sprinkle of celery seed, no salt seasoning, and paprika and then once that was heated through I piled it on top of a small potato: :) thanks for this idea..sounds good!

It was really very tasty and satisfying but a few minutes after I finished eating I started to feel hot and queasy and the next thing I knew it all came right back up and then for hours later I was just in pain and sweating and shaking and just not feeling good.Ohhhh nooo...yikes!! I took a ranitadine. I started remembering when I was pregnant and the only thing that made me feel better was a ginger chew so I had the dh pick me up some and I had a few of those and they did help. whew! thts good! So that's all I had yesterday and I only did a casual walk for a little over an hour, no trampoline, because I just was so hot and shaky and not feeling good. I even stopped in the freezer section at the store and also got myself a cold water... rough on the belly but helped me cool off otherwise.

sorry you had such a ROUGh bout there!
burgh_grl

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:55 pm

I'll look forward to when you have time and inclination to journal again, Carroll.
See ya later!
StarchBeet

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:25 am

Carroll wrote: I sauteed up some onions in balsamic vinegar, and then threw in some chopped cabbage and a sprinkle of celery seed, no salt seasoning, and paprika and then once that was heated through I piled it on top of a small potato

I had never thought to cook up onions in balsamic vinegar until I saw a package of the same in the frozen food section in Trader Joe's and my husband wanted to try it. He loved it! I guess I'll be buying a lot more onions in the future. He likes to toss these into his weekly pasta meal to dress it up, since he thinks my homemade sauce (basically a box of Pomi with some onions, garlic and plenty of Penzy Spice's Italian her blend) is a bit too boring.

the only thing that made me feel better was a ginger chew so I had the dh pick me up some and I had a few of those and they did help.

Another old folk remedy for tender tummies! I remember back in the 1950's my grandmother making me drink flat ginger ale when I had an upset stomach. Every household had an opened and resealed glass quart-sized bottle of the stuff in the refrigerator for medicinal purposes only, since soda itself was a rare treat reserved for birthdays and holidays.
VeggieSue

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I think I've discovered I can't do cocoa :(

I think we have some normal fluctuations according to what our bodies have to deal with, how much we exercise and what higher caloric density foods we put into our mouths. I think my body metabolism almost shuts down when I fast and when I eat a lot it speeds up to use all that nutrition, what do you think?
StarchBeet

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning