DB Goal: Heathy eating for the whole family - edited goal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: DB Goal: Look Good on Family Pictures

Postby noelalexis2000 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:58 am

I agree that the processed chips are bad and Pizza will always make me gain weight. i don't eat cheese on it but the flour! :eek:

One other thought are you eating enough starches to fill full so you don't snack? I always get hungry around 3:00 so find that if I snack it is then. Maybe my lunches aren't starchy enough either. Lots of people on here snack on potatoes or sweet potatoes. I happen to like sweet potatoes better and make sure I keep those in the frig and eat them cold.
noelalexis2000

Postby dragana » Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 am

I typically do well on the regular program which is a relief because I like to eat same meals that the rest of the family is eating. But at this time I think it would be better for me to minimize the processed stuff in my diet. Making pizza last night was a mistake, especially since hubby worked late and missed dinner, so I ate his piece!!! On the plus side the pizza was loaded with broccoli. It had 2 heads of broccoli and no cheese. The way I make pizza is weight loss supporting but I ate too much last night.

I guess all that pizza made me dream about the end of the world, literally. It was scarier than any move I've seen on the topic. I would write it down but I can't because it is so scary and pessimistic!!! One more reason not to eat too much before dinner. In fact I feel the best emotionally and physically when the dinner is the lightest meal of the day!!

Today is Friday and tomorrow I will do grocery shopping. I plan to prepare next week to follow MWL as outlined in that McD newsletter floating around. Raw vegetables and salads first, steamed veggies and then starch entry. This way of eating is very agreeable with me, it makes me feel great.

Okay today's action plan is:
B: Oatmeal w banana and splash of soy milk
L: Eden chill w tons of kale
D: Broccoli, kale, any other veggie left in the fridge, w baked potatoes
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Postby dragana » Fri May 13, 2011 11:59 am

I've been thinking. The wedding is in July. That is 8 weeks from now. It would be nice to lose 16 lbs in these 8 weeks. That would put me down to 130 and that is only 1 lb more than my pre-pregnancy weight #1. To do this I would need to MWL. The dress shopping is in 3 weeks!!! I would love to lose minimum of 6 lbs in these 3 weeks.

Action Plan:
1. For the next 3 weeks do MWL no stray - lunch and dinner is salad, steamed veggies, 300 calories of starches, breakfast is oatmeal w fresh fruit. See how it goes and re-evaluate after 3 weeks.
2. For exercise:
a) 100 jumping jacks, 100 in total set of different types of abs exercises, 50 push-ups throughout the day
b) minimum 30 minute walk/elliptical/ran daily

Goal: Look fabulous in this wedding pictures!!!!!
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Sat May 14, 2011 4:52 am

Action plan for today:
B: oatmeal w banana and a splash of soy milk
L: rice or quinoa w steamed veggies, salad
D: sweet potatoes, kale salad
Exercise: 100 jumping jacks, 100 abs, 20 pu
[/url]

dragana

Postby noelalexis2000 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:23 am

Love your menus and it looks as though you will reach your goal eating like this!
noelalexis2000

Postby dragana » Sun May 15, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks Alexis. I am snacking too much I think, it doesn't even make my journal. But I am getting better at it. This morning they are having pancakes. I requested mine to be made w/o oil. We will see how that goes.
I still need to tweak my diet a lot. I have been vegetarian for many years now and I am fine being without animal products and I understand moral and health implications of it. I have problem convincing my husband and my daughter about dangers of using junk vegan foods!!! Especially since I dig in too! So I need to make it clear in my brain why it is dangerous and we will go from there.

***If anyone has any information or videos on dangers of high fat fried foods, like junk vegan foods (chips, cookies etc), more than common sense, more gruesome the better. Looking for something that is very hard to ignore.***

1. B: Fat free pancakes w fresh berries
2. L: green bean casserole, ff baked beans, tomato & cucumber salad
3: D: baked sweet potato, collards/kale or broccoli or green/spinach salad
[/url]

dragana

Postby kkrichar » Sun May 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Dragana. I enjoy reading your journal. I have a 20K (12.4 mile) race in 3 weeks. I've been running but it can't keep up with my food. I want to stay MWL until the race since every pound I lose will help. If you don't mind, I thought I could check in with you over the next 3 weeks and we can support each other.

I use 321 dressing for my salads: 3 parts balsamic vinegar, 2 parts dijon mustard and 1 part maple syrup. I love it.

Keep up the good work. Perseverance is a big part of the battle.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby dragana » Mon May 16, 2011 8:47 am

Hi k, that sounds great. I do need a buddy for extra motivation. Back in 2006/2007 I lost 34 lbs on McDougall plan and looked great. Then I got pregnant. I was able to follow the diet without wavering even through holidays, and I felt great and ate great. I followed the plan without any trouble for about a year until the middle of my pregnancy when I started getting off the plan and slowly I gained 55 lbs during my pregnancy!

Anyway, long story short, I realize now that it was much easier for me to lose weight and stay on the plan before I had children! Here is my problem: The first time I followed this diet I read a lot, I watched the DVDs, online lectures, educated myself and I was very vigilant about doing the right thing. After children, I was ignoring everything I learned, I never read labels and although we kept the same consumption of fruit and vegetables enviable by many, we really didn't eat all that well. It took my daughter being diagnosed with food allergies that we started reading labels again! You think this would stop me! No, I only read the labels for allergens and ignored the rest. Plus I find it very, very difficult to educate my husband who is pre-packaged food buyer in this house about the labels, etc...He is in superb shape, muscular 48 year old, never been sick a day in his life, never gets colds, energy to spare, never weighed a pound over his ideal weight, actually he weighs the same as he did in high school..He honestly believes that he is eating healthy diet, - look at the life-long results...I personally think he just get great genes unlike his less genetically lucky brother...

So, he believes that it is okay to feed the 3 year old the same diet he is eating. Canned food high in sodium stupid characters pasta, more sodium I could handle. Crackers, breads, chips, beans you name it he has brought this 'healthy foods' in the house and fed it to 3 year old. Now I am not without faults. I am just happy that she is actually eating something, that with all the faults also has some nutrition. To quiet my guilt I actually eat same foods because how can I feed her what I think is unhealthy. And if I eat it it is healthy. This is - mind you just to fool myself. On the back of my mind I know better, I just chose to ignore it. On the plus side we do and always have, including the 3 year old eat ample amounts of fruits and vegetables.

Anyway, back to reading labels. I intend to have a long conversation with my husband about sodium content in foods he's been buying, plus all 'trans-fat' free with partially hydrogenated ingredients. He also knows better because we went through this before, but this time it harder. The children need to be fed and fed fast. And they are so picky. Last night I made ff sweet potato fries for her. She loves the regular sweet potato fires so I decided to give it a try. Well they were declared 'yucky' and that was it. I am re-learning the dangers of heated oils, and really I don't want them exposed to it.

So this journal will also be dedicated to what family eats not just me.

References: http://blip.tv/file/3091025
http://blip.tv/file/3193247

Today's plan:
B: Oatmeal w apple sauce and few raisins
same
L:plan: kale chips w nutritional yeast, amy's bean buritos (these are too high in sodium this will have to go off the shopping list)
D: plan: Corn pasta w cream of cauliflower, white beans, tomatoes, green onions
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Tue May 17, 2011 5:48 am

This is crazy! I just calculated my BMI here http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm and even though I am overweight at 25.9 BMI there are still 72% of women my age in America that weigh more than me. Crazy!

Okay, so I didn't have a great day eating yesterday, I am still trying to figure out what works best for me and put it on autopilot. I have to put a veto on buying some foods too easy to pop in the oven but not so good for me, prep my veggies ahead of time, plan quick meals things such these. Maybe I could benefit from Fast Foods DVD? I need to get that feeling back, when I feel fantastic and anything is possible fast. This week I am dragging my feet on everything....

B: plan: oatmeal w apple sauce and small box of raisins
L: plan: swiss chard w white beans & rice
D: plan: baked potato fries (no oil) (boil then bake), green salad w 321 + tofu, cauliflower and broccoli steamed

Currently watching: http://blip.tv/file/3111464
[/url]

dragana

Postby kkrichar » Tue May 17, 2011 6:29 am

Hey Dragana,

Your menu looks good. What do you think of the 321 dressing? Normally anything sweet triggers me but this doesn't. I think the balsamic vinegar keeps me from wanting to pour too much on my salad. I've had lots of success with it and I have a hard time getting my veggies in. So, salads are such an easy, convenient way to do that.

I didn't do very well the last 2 days. I'm on this avocado sushi roll kick. Yesterday, instead of bringing the Bob's Cabernet Roasted Potatoes I made on Sunday with me to work, I picked up the sushi. So, today I'm bringing the roasted potatoes. I really like it so there's no reason to not eat it. Sometimes I think I just want to be obstinate. I got into some poison oak a couple weeks ago and am in the middle of a 13-day Prednisone burst. That's probably not helping. Also, my TOM, arrived on Sunday. All in all, I believe I didn't have a strong enough base before the recent events and I fell back on old habits. Time to start developing new behavior.

Good job keeping up with your journal and being honest about where you are. It really helps me to read it.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby dragana » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am

Hi k,

I love sushi rolls!! Do you ever make your own sushi rolls? I saw this recipe from Ani Phyo (raw foodist), where as a rice you use a little bit of almonds seeds mixed w ginger, soy sauce ( I use Braggs) and a little bit of wasabi. I have used brown rice or better wild rice in same way - not too much then because you have to make space for toppings. Then the toping is lots of spinach and any other vegetable such as carrots, peppers etc...It is so yummi. Maybe not as a main meal but as a snack - great or side meal or main meal if you make tons of it, especially if you are trying to eat more salads. Keeps well in the fridge until the next day. And variations are limitless. I even made it with sweet potatoes changes the flavors but also works!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ab7HbUFCic

I've noticed when I eat McD way either regular or MWL, I feel great during TOM. I can't even see it coming. If I don't strangely enough I have cramps up to one week prior. Very motivating.

I like 321 although not crazy about it yet. I am trying to modify it a little bit to figure out if it will work for me.

I too am trying to figure out this. I need to prep a lot of foods and keep ready foods in the fridge. The key to success to this diet is simplicity, I think.

Maybe you will be interested in this:
http://blip.tv/andybrisson/maximum-weight-loss-3514587
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 am

I did well yesterday, ate as planed with small modifications. Planning is very helpful for me. I did eat a lot. I am going to stop measuring amounts and just eat to appetite until my body adjusts for about a week or so. Then I will evaluate and add more greens if needed.

Yesterday:
B: plan: oatmeal w apple sauce and small box of raisins
L: plan: swiss chard w white beans & rice
D: plan: baked potato fries (no oil) (boil then bake), green salad w 321 + tofu, cauliflower and broccoli steamed]

Actual: B: same except apple sauce, real apple + 1/2 of baby food jar, no raisins
Actual: L: same, but ate a lot of it
Actual: D: simple baked potato, potatoes cut in half and baked on oven rack, no salad, lots of cauliflower and broccoli, plain strawberry and ice smoothie leftover from kids

Today fight plan:
B: brown rice w raisins and apple sauce
L: leftover broccoli and cauliflower from yesterday, swiss chard steamed, brown rice, raw red peppers, carrots
D: lentils and potato soup w collards, onions, tomato paste, garlic, mixed green salad w green onions, tomato & 321
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Wed May 18, 2011 11:54 am

Now that I have booked holidays in a about a month from now, I am thinking of starting Mary's mini. I have to admit that as long as I am committed to the plan my weight comes down pretty effortlessly even on the regular plan. The reason I would like to try MM is that maybe I could shed 10 lbs this way before the holidays. It would be nice to be in a normal weight range for the holidays then that would motivate me to eat better while I am there.

Goal #1: lose 6 lbs in 3 weeks by dress shopping
Goal #2: lose 10 lbs in a month
Goal#3: lose 17 lbs before the wedding

I am also starting doing some toning exercises, minimum 100 Jumping jacks, 100 situps and 50 push-ups a day. Then some weight training if possible.
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Thu May 19, 2011 4:49 am

I stayed pretty much on the plan yesterday. I forgot how easy it is especially when you like the foods! You know you are doing something right when you are getting excited about your diet and the food you are eating. What made my yesterday even better was that even the baby and the toddler both loved the lentils soup. I was a little worried about this because I didn't add any salt or any other seasoning. But it was still delicious. Today I am doing MM with rice. Not sure if I will do the same tomorrow but today is the rice day!

Let's review yesterday:
B: brown rice w raisins and apple sauce
L: leftover broccoli and cauliflower from yesterday, swiss chard steamed, brown rice, raw red peppers, carrots
D: lentils and potato soup w collards, onions, tomato paste, garlic, mixed green salad w green onions, tomato & 321

Actuals: B: same + chopped apple
L: same except for carrots instead I had some grape tomatoes
D: same - I loved 321 this time. I used better maple syrup and I it was more like 221 ratio.

Today's Plan:
B: brown rice w raisins, apple sauce and orange
L: brown rice w leftover lentils, mixed green salad & onions w 321
D: brown rice, broccoli, green beans, mixed green salad w tomato & 321
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Fri May 20, 2011 4:29 am

I lost 0.5 lbs this week which is not too bad considering I only started eating better in the last 3 days. However, I don't think I am doing very well. I feel light headed, headachy and although I have a lot of energy my body feels somewhat weak - not sure how to explain this. In any case I don't feel my best. I think it is probably that I am not taking in enough calories. I eat until I am full & more, so it is not that I am restricting myself. I stayed up late last night and I was very very hungry around 11 pm so I had a bowl of kamut puffs w some orange juice. It wasn't the kind of hunger that would made me eat junk but it was the hunger never the less. Another reason could possibly be that I am not drinking enough water and maybe the body is detoxifying so water is needed to push things out. Maybe it is that I drink too much coffee? But this never bothered me before. In any case, today I am going to drink a minimum a 1 l of water and see if that helps things. I also intend to eat slightly more today.

Review of yesterday:
B: brown rice w raisins, apple sauce and orange
L: brown rice w leftover lentils, mixed green salad & onions w 321
D: brown rice, broccoli, green beans, mixed green salad w tomato & 321

Actuals: B: same(modifications: no raisins, and instead of apple sauce I had 1/2 jar baby food banana)
L: same
D: by dinner time I was sick of rice so I had a bowl and a half of white bean tomato soup I was simmering whole day for today's meals, the rest of the plan was the same
After dinner: 1 bowl of kamut puffs w orange juice, 1 brown rice sodium free rice cake

Today's plan:
B: brown rice w apple sauce, orange if any
L: white bean soup w leftover veggies, bowl of brown rice, steamed cabbage
D: baked beans (grab some beans from the soup and put some maple syrup), wild rice, KALE salad w 1/4 of avocado, steamed cabbage
[/url]

dragana

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals