DB Goal: Heathy eating for the whole family - edited goal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: DB Goal: Look Good on Family Pictures

Postby kkrichar » Fri May 20, 2011 9:04 am

Hey Dragana. Your body may just be freaking out a bit from the changes. Keep doing what you're doing and, hopefully, things will get better. Some people feel better immediately and others (myself included) have body rebellion for awhile. Good job on the half pound.

I finally, finally, finally lost some weight this morning. I can't tell you how excited I am about that. It has been months of going up and down with the same 3 pounds and I finally broke through it today! I made some potato salad last night and brought that to work with my Farmer's Market tomatoes and some beans. I feel really positive today.

Hope you feel better soon!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby dragana » Sat May 21, 2011 4:51 am

Hi Kelly,

Well thank you and congratulations to you too! We can do this. The farmer market helps a lot. We are fortunate enough to have a large market near by so we go to vegetable market all year long. The produce quality is so much better at the market than in regular grocery store and selection is so much wider! But food is summer is so much better, fresher, bigger, more colorful etc....:-)

Okay, I have been watching video presentations online from dr. Michael Greger. I love this guy! In his Review of 2009 talk he talked about potatoes being not so great. Suggested sweet potatoes. Very interesting.

I don't think I can do MM. Even if you can eat as much as you can, the diet is too restrictive it makes me feel hungry and deprived and that is because I would rather be hungry than eat the same at dinner!! Maybe I can do this once or twice a week but not any days in a row. I have also decided to add some natural fat to my salads such as very little avocado or tofu. I love them and enjoy them better this way. We will see how this goes.

Review of yesterday:
B: brown rice w apple sauce, orange if any
L: white bean soup w leftover veggies, bowl of brown rice, steamed cabbage
D: baked beans (grab some beans from the soup and put some maple syrup), wild rice, KALE salad w 1/4 of avocado, steamed cabbage

Actuals:
B: same - except for apple sauce baby's banana
L: dark rye veggie sandwich (lettuce tomato, lettuce, cucumbers, olives), couscous salad (couscous, tons of parsley (the salad was mostly green), chickpeas, very little or no oil (couldn't taste any!) (lunch out)
D: baked beans as above, kamut puffs w orange juice and banana
Later last night:
2 glasses or red wine, 3 handfuls of potato chips

Today I don't have a plan, but I will try to eat as pure and as healthful as possible.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Postby dragana » Sat May 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Today's hasn't been a regular day, ate on the run, outside etc.. not proper meals but didn't do too bad.

B: leftover bean soup the last of it, banana, handful of blueberries, coffee

not official lunch but series of snacks:
-coffee, a little bit of an orange, an apple, a corn on the cob, rice cake, a little bit of tofu and a little bit of green beans

D: planned: kamut spaghetti w canned tomatoes & broccoli, pinto beans salsa (pinto beans, red onion, tomatoes, tabasco)
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Tue May 24, 2011 4:44 am

I have to admit that I didn't eat great this weekend. There was nothing over 'bad' the top really but I could've done better. I had a stress-anger-guilt induced eating episode and everything went downhill from there. I need to stop doing this to myself. When I am stressed I need to use some other means to deal with it. Eating too much of wrong things never helped anyone. In case you are wondering the wrong things I ate were: tvp fried in oil w pasta, fried Yves vegetable salami w rye bread,oily spinach pie, & I also ate a lot of fruit but that is okay.

I also realized this weekend that I would rather be on regular plan than on MWL. So my plan for this week is to allow myself to be on regular plan. What this means for me is that amount of starches will be the same on regular plan as it would be following MWL except I will allow for some processed foods (pasta mostly) & some fats such as avocado & tofu. Mostly though I will eat unprocessed foods (no pastas). When I lost weight last time this was the plan I followed. The reason I was successful is that the foods I was eating were the foods that I enjoy eating and once or twice a week was good enough for me to eliminate the feeling of feeling deprived from them. And the best part of it they are still McDougall legal. I love what dr. Orinsh says about eating Spectrum. Everyone has different needs, absence or presence of disease and your eating can fall anywhere along that Spectrum.

Today's plan is:

B:steel cut oats w fruit

L: baked potato, broccoli steamed, mixed greens salad

D: wild rice or quinoa-kale salad,cabbage soup?
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 am

Review of yesterday:

Today's plan is:

B:steel cut oats w fruit

L: baked potato, broccoli steamed, mixed greens salad

D: wild rice or quinoa-kale salad,cabbage so

Actual:
B: same
L: 2 rice tortillas w baby spinach, red pepper, chickpeas, onion, nutritional yeast, also finished my daugther's mac & cheese
D: I wasn't that hungry at dinner time so I had kale salad (kale, avocado, lemon juice, green onion, red pepper, tomato)minus quinoa & cabbage soup(cabbage, canned tomatoes, onions, carrots, garlic)

Today's plan:
B: steel cut oats w fruit
L: lots of steamed spinach w garlic, baked potato or hashbrown, sweet red pepper raw,raw baby carrots
D: mixed green salad w tofu dressing,sweet potatoes baked
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 am

I suffered McDougall revenge last night. Now I am not a person to take drugs but the pain was so severe in my stomach and the back that this morning at 3 am I was going through the medicine cabinet begging for a single Tylenol. I did find it - leftovers from after birth of my daughter. Not even after birth cramps were this bad!!!
Okay did this teach me a lesson? Yesterday was our anniversary and on impulse buy - I bought a cake. Small one, looked the most innocent of all the options. Looking back I should've made a fat free treat such as fat free brownies or something with the fruit. But lack of planning and I bought a cake!! Oh and it really was gross, but it was soft and fluffy and sugary and I ignored the taste of butter or margarine or what the heck the dressing was and I ate a big piece.
So did I learned the lesson? Today is my birthday and we are going out. Nowhere special - just a family style restaurant , all you can eat bar with lots of salads. What should i eat there and if it will make me feel full and happy afterwards? I don't want another food hangover.

Plan:
B: steal cut oats w soy milk and fruit
L: pasta salad
D: ???? will update tomorrow
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Fri May 27, 2011 5:56 am

I have to admit that I didn't do too great yesterday but the message is starting to be lauder. I plugged some numbers into cron-o-meter and I was amazed at the nutrition I have been getting. Wow. Never mind vitamin supplements, (except for D and B12) I am getting over the top nutrition.

I also realized the truth behind the theory that people tend to eat the same weight of food every day. I had a large breakfast because I was very hungry. Then at lunch time I was not hungry at all. Typically I would've split what I had for breakfast in half but yesterday I just felt hungry and ate until the hunger was gone. Then at lunch time I didn't even think of food! viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22432
Great topic this was on hunger!

Last night at the restaurant I gravitated toward bulkier, denser lower fat foods and magically I felt happily not uncomfortably full and only had a small ice-cream for desert without any will power struggle for anything else. I could've done better though, I was thinking about that there were healthier options for entries and even for deserts- there were a lot of fruit available & sorbets but I didn't have an ice-cream in so long that I wanted one. But it is a start, the message is starting to ring lauder and I am thinking that from today until the trip I can really concentrate on eating adequate 'weight of food' chosen among the 'allowed' foods.
Plan:
B: oatmeal w fruit
L: quinoa and black beans rice wrap w field greens , red onion and tomato
D: potato-broccoli-swiss chard-carrots-onion soup, kale salad?
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Sat May 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I am getting my head back in order, I will post later the conclusions and thought provoking questions that were raised for me thanks to the discussion here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22529 but right now I just want to record my today's meals.

B: fat free pancakes (whole wheat flour, apple sauce, frozen blueberries, vanilla extract, baking powder, yeast) w a little bit of maple syrup
L: mock egg salad (sprouted tofu, mustard, nutritional yeast, red onion, red pepper, garlic) on 3 slice of dark rye bread w mixed greens about 1.5 cups
Snack: watermelon
D: plan: sweet potato & swiss chard\
[/url]

dragana

Re: DB Goal: Heathy eating for the whole family - edited goa

Postby dragana » Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 am

I edited my first post to update my goals.

Day 1

I decided to make whole wheat blueberry pancakes again because I made them on Saturday and I really liked them. So this morning I aske 3 year old to help me. She was so happy. As we made them together she said that they will be very yummy. Well they are still sitting at her table untouched together with the chopped strawberries. When I reminded her that she is the one who made them and the one who said that they will be delicious she said - "I meant they will be delicious for you mummy".I have been telling her that as soon she eats her breakfast we will be going to the play ground. She wants something else.
Baby loves her pancakes, she ate 2 + 1 banana. She is so easy.

Day 1 Meals:
B: me: whole wheat blueberry pancakes (whole wheat flour, apple sauce, frozen blueberries, soy milk, water, vanilla extract, yeast + 1/4 tea spoon of sugar, baking powder) w chopped strawberries and a little bit of maple syrup.
B: 3-year old: kamut puffs and an apple (but I haven't given up on those pancakes yet, maybe one day she will give them a chance)
L: brown and wild rice w tomato-white beans, spinach, garlic, sweet potatoes; mixed field greens; red pepper
3-year old: originally offered: maple syrup beans, rye bread, strawberries, baby carrots; ate: carrots,veggie dogs, red pepper
baby: ate same as me except for spinach, field greens, red pepper and garlic
Dinner plans: hopping to make a meal that whole family will eat:
D: kamut spaghetti w crushed canned tomato, water sauteed onions & spices; loads of steamed broccoli; 1-2 c of field greens; 1 tomato
(the 3 of them will have jared tomato sauce, everything else should be the same)
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Tue May 31, 2011 5:02 am

Day 2.

I did well yesterday thoroughly enjoyed my foods, they were easy and filling but my 3 -year old did not. She refused to eat dinner, just ate few broccoli last night, got mad didn't want anything else and when I was putting baby to bed my husband gave her strawberry popsicle. That was all she had for dinner. So no wonder she woke up shaking this morning, asked for water and juice and then threw up - all liquids. This is when I offered her Dora pasta and hashbrowns which I prepared and made for her cooked in a little bit of oil. She was such a good eater, healthy eater until just recently. Okay, now I have to make a greater effort and concentrate to buy her veggies she still likes. She loves corn on the cob and green beans both of which we are out this week. She used to love broccoli now just eats few of them. Anyway, I will get her back....I have been here a little bit longer....

B: Steel cut oats - (quite frankly I don't know why there is such a big fuss about these, I think I prefer quick cooking oats, they are more filling and less demanding in terms of preparation) w strawberries, 1/2 banana, apple sauce
L: plan: potato-swiss chard-carrots-onions maybe tomato sauce soup; mixed field greens
Children: baby same
3-year old: hashbrowns, fruit, baby carrots, tofu
S: another bowl of stew; finished pancakes from yesterday, banana
D: bowl of oatmeal w oj
baby: corn penne sliced in small chunks w chunky tomato sauce and other bruscetta
3- year old: penne as above, 1/2 v. burger
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:24 am

Day 3

My digital scale is broken. I had this scale for over 11 years and I really liked it. This morning I stepped on it and it showed 138. It would be nice but not true. I need to buy a new scale tomorrow. Maybe something more high tech, body fat calculator? My husband suggested low tech mechanical scale. heh....not happening....

I am also out of beans!

Not very hungry this morning.
Plan:
children: pancakes, banana, berries
B: me: oatmeal w apple sauce and berries
L: sweet potatoes, steamed spinach, field greens
children: sweet potatoes, broccoli
3 yr: if not then Dora pasta, broccoli
D: unplanned dinner - blueberry pudding,no fat chocolate sauce, low fat corn chips, 2 glasses of white wine
Last edited by dragana on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 am

Me:
B: oatmeal w mango smoothie
L: rice and spinach
D: kale and wild rice salad w avocado, tomato, red pepper

children:

3yr: B: veggie dogs
L: spinach patties, broccoli, carrots, apple
D: pizza or pasta with veggies, red pepper, avocado, tomato

Baby: B: oatmeal w mango smoothie
L: rice and broccoli
D: pizza or veggie pasta, red pepper, avocado, tomato
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:23 am

Because of the advice here I realized that for me I need to make certain what foods are 'no-choice' for me. I use food for comfort. Sort of started planning for situations when I would fail - to not to fail. It is much easier now that I came to terms that I am one of those people who use food for comfort. Rather than fighting it, now I am embracing it and we will see what this will bring me.

Some days I need to eat a little bit more for whatever reason so now I cook the whole package of rice and keep it in the fridge for when the hunger strikes I am ready. Also some days I feel more vulnerable to coming of the plan because I feel anxious or stressed or whatever so I've started making berry puddings and quick fat-free treats when this strikes. Not ideal but I still feel nourished and light on my feet and on the program! I have given up on focusing on number on the scale, while important I know I will get there eventually because I am eating better and less than before. And I think slowly but surely it is working, as I was at my favorite store last night and picked up several my favorite fat full treats only to put them down bcs I didn't really want them.

I probably eat more than what makes my journal but that is okay for right now. I am feeling a little anxious because I will be starting work soon after being on maternity leave for a year. I have to work through these feelings, they are my priority now. While feeling nourished of course.

B: oatmeal w fruit
L: probably either chili w spinach or chicpea rice-spianach wrap
D: guests over for dinner not sure what I am eating.
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:57 am

B: steel cut oats w a little bit of choc soy milk, banana, blueberries
L: plan:bean-oats-rice-onion burgers w raw collard greens as bun w tomato, onions, mustard
D:plan: rice, kale, chickpeas
[/url]

dragana

Postby dragana » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

I have to make to the grocery store as I am out of many things. Well almost everything except for fruits, veggies and potatoes. Well that covers me, but husband and children need more.

I also need to wash all the greens today because greens not washed, greens not used.

Dinners:
potato & veggies, fruit
sweet potato, veggies, fruit
pasta dinner with tomato sauce & veggies, fruit
wraps w beans, salad greens, fruit
pizza veggie, fruit
quinoa salad, fruit
Anything goes, whatever is left over

Lunches:
salad (greens w quinoa, or rice or,potatoes)
tofu, veggies, rice
veggie dogs
sandwiches

Breakfast:
pancakes & fruit
oatmeal & fruit
rice & fruit
corn puffs & fruit

Shopping list:
quinoa
pasta
rice wraps