My Little Drover's Run

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Little Drover's Run

Postby DeeAnn1231 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Ok, here we go!
With RA and wheat/peanut allergies, I know I have to get healthy and really be very strict with my diet, stress, and exercise.

I know I can't have too many carbs, because I do gain weight very easily. I also know I can not have too much protein because my joints swell and get very painful. I feel like I'm in a catch 22 but I will NOT let RA get the best of me. EVER!

I AM IN CONTROL!

Ready? Set? GO!
If I wake up breathing, then it's a good day!
DeeAnn1231

Re: My Little Drover's Run

Postby f1jim » Wed May 04, 2011 10:47 pm

"I know I can't have too many carbs, because I do gain weight very easily."

Carbs as whole foods are not inherently fattening. This diet is mostly carbs. If you are thinking you will be McDougalling and limiting carbs I am not sure what you will be eating.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby victw » Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Have you read the free program:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Also lots of good stuff on arthritis:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_arthritis.html

And carbohydrates:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_sugar.html

You might also consider some of the DVD's - all of Jeff's, plus Dr. Lisle's and some of Dr. McD's will cover the lectures from the 5 day program.

With health options the 10 day program might be best option.

Either way the best options are to educate yourself - non-stop. The first thing that will leave most of us scratching our heads is your comment on carbs. If you don't understand the difference between complex and simple carbohydrates. Keep reading.

Start at the top tabs - not just the forums.

Best wishes and yes diet and lifestyle changes are great medicine.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby DeeAnn1231 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I do know the difference between simple and complex carbs.. I can't imagine anyone that doesn't at this point with all the hype and media about carbs.

Because of the drugs I am on, I retain fluids very easily and carbs have always caused me to retain fluids as well.

I eat a lot of vegetables, some fruits, and minimal starches. I saw my dietitian and she's totally on board with that.
DeeAnn1231

Postby nicoles » Thu May 05, 2011 2:18 pm

DeeAnn1231 wrote:Ok, here we go!
With RA and wheat/peanut allergies, I know I have to get healthy and really be very strict with my diet, stress, and exercise.

Good for you for taking charge, DeeAnn! I am rooting for you :)

DeeAnn1231 wrote:I know I can't have too many carbs, because I do gain weight very easily. I also know I can not have too much protein because my joints swell and get very painful.

Ouch! tough combo.:eek: Guess there are A LOT of veggies in your future

DeeAnn1231 wrote:I feel like I'm in a catch 22 but I will NOT let RA get the best of me. EVER!

I AM IN CONTROL!

Good for you and Best of Luck!!!!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby DeeAnn1231 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm

[/quote]
Welcome anyway. Hopefully soon you will be able to either lessen or quit all your meds. Sorry if any of us made you feel unwelcome or bad.[/quote]

thank you. Apology accepted.

[quote="nicoles Good for you for taking charge, DeeAnn! I am rooting for you :)

Ouch! tough combo.:eek: Guess there are A LOT of veggies in your future

Good for you and Best of Luck!!!![/quote]

Thank you so much Nicoles! My PA actually told me to eat nothing BUT fruits and vegetables! I love most vegetables so I don't have a problem with that.

thank you so much for the support!!
DeeAnn1231

Postby DeeAnn1231 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 pm

so completely discouraged. My RA has gotten worse and now I'm on Enbrel. I've had two shots and while my joints feel better, I've had some concerns about the medicine and some of the other effects I'm getting. I am not a cryer but I'm about to the breaking point. I don't want all these drugs in my system but diet isn't helping me. I don't know what to do next. I feel very defeated right now, and that's not like me.
DeeAnn1231

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning