An Apple A Day But No Gluten/Soy

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: An Apple A Day But No Gluten/Soy

Postby yogini girl » Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 am

Simoncat -
Thanks for your answer. Your menu looks great. I think between the exercise and the diet you can't help but lose. I was eating nuts too and that is how I gained this weight.
When I first started the McD diet, I lost 15 pounds and about two years later added in nuts (was reading Furhman) and bam - gained about ten pounds. This time it is harder to lose. I am sticking to no fats for sure now.
Also my cholesterol went up from 155 to 185 when I added in some fats.
I think I will start a journal just to keep track of what I am really eating. I bet this is helping you stay honest!!! LOL!

Best of luck to you.

Jess
Let the beauty we love be what we do. RUMI
yogini girl

Postby yogini girl » Thu May 05, 2011 7:24 am

Hi Chewy:
I don't know what to do with the rice cakes!!! LOL Everyday I say I won't have them and then I go and buy some. They seem to be my current addiction! I really love them! I just can't seem to lose the weight. I also think I just eat too much food. I cook alot and the food is so good!!!

Anyway, I just keep trying to do the best I can. I think as I mentioned to Simoncat that I will begin a journal and write down everything I am eating.

Love to you,
Jess
Let the beauty we love be what we do. RUMI
yogini girl

Postby chewy » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 am

hi yogini girl!,what about trying to do what mcdougall suggests in his MWLP book-adjust your starches to green and yellow vegetables portions?2/3 low starch green and yellow veg,salad ,1/3 starchy veg/grain or 1/2 veg,1/2 starchy veg/grain?this is what dr mcdougall states towards the end of MWLP.raw vegetables seem to increase weight loss-move things along!!:) even mcdougall's everyday sample meal menus in MWLP include rice cakes!!i love them -with slices of cucumber and tomato!
chewy

Postby simoncat » Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

I've lost 3 pounds!!! With all the exercise and saying, "No" to freshly baked chocolate chip cookies the other day, I should lose 10 lbs. :) At least, that is what I think. Anyway, I am happy with 3.

Menu Today

B-fast - small yam

Lunch - brown rice, veggie curry

Snack - small bowl of rice

Dinner - Asparagus & oriental veggie steam-fry

I think I'll probably skip the walk tonight as I walked for 2 hours last night and the night before and plan to run 6 miles on Saturday if I can. I was going to run 5, but I think the route is actually 6. Hope I make it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Fri May 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Well, I think eating fruit really makes me feel good. Thus, today for breakfast I decided to go back to having more fruit. I haven't weighed myself but will tomorrow.

B-Fast - mango. apple, banana

Lunch - curried rice with veggies

Snack - small yam

Dinner - butternut squash with baked beans & fresh kale from the garden (last year's).
[/url]
simoncat

Postby jamietwo » Sat May 07, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Simoncat,

Love your cat picture! My child wants to know if its posed or if you caught the cat in that position! :)

Let us know how your run goes today. I'm with you on the gluten-free and soy-free (add in corn-free and a few other frees too for me too :eek: ).
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby simoncat » Sat May 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi, Jamie & Debbie. Unfortunately, that is not my cat. My daughter, who is better than me with putting pictures up, found the picture of the cat online. My cat is a lot older but kind of looks like that cat. I need her to help me post a picture of the real "Simon-cat".

Anyway, yesterday I was so tired after posting, I had a 3 hour nap!!! I don't know about you, but when I first start to lose weight, I'm often very tired, but then things improve.

Well, today was really different. I went for my 6 mile run. I started out with some arch pain in my left foot; however, I thought this might happen as I have been wearing paddock boots recently that have no arch support. The good thing is, I bought those inserts for my running shoes called "Super Feet" and they really helped. In fact by the end of my run, I barely felt any arch discomfort. The "Super Feet" seemed to massage my arch. So, my run was good, but then my energy level was fantastic. I cleaned my house and my ducks/chicken's pen and even did some gardening. Wow!! I couldn't believe how good I felt.

I've been reading Fuhrman and Esseslstyn too and have come to the conclusion that fruit makes me feel better than rice and other starches. Thus, I am doing about 4 pieces of fruit a day to see how I feel. Fruit has marvelous fiber and some how that type of fiber works really well for me. I am saddened by this partly because I do love rice, but we'll see how it goes.

Menu for today:

B-fast - oatmeal/apple/banana
molasses drink with rice milk

Snack - mango

Lunch - stir fry veggies from Cosco Steamed with Kale and corn and beans

Dinner - Same as lunch with an apple for dessert.

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow! This "Motha" is going out with her best friend to some plant nurseries! Yeah!!

Take care.
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Sat May 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Let us know how your run goes today. I'm with you on the gluten-free and soy-free (add in corn-free and a few other frees too for me too ).

Jamie, what does corn do to you? Do you have skin allergies?? Just wondering. I think that some people cannot metabolize grains; I might also have that problem or maybe they make my insulin go crazy.

Take care.
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Sun May 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Okay, it is Mother's Day and I wanted to have a good time and not stress myself out, so I wasn't so good; but then again, I wasn't so bad either. Here is my confession (I'm sure the Pope has heard a lot worse!) :o

B-fast - oatmeal/apple/rice milk

Snack - tall, non-fat mocha - no whip cream :oops:

Lunch - salad with some nuts and fruit and dressing with some olive oil (I was out, okay?)

Black tea w/ milk & sugar

Dinner - black bean/rice & chipolte burger with plain salad mix & herbs

I still feel like I am in ketosis though. I won't weigh myself because it's Mother's Day, right??? It is a day to be kind to yourself. (Still had to clean up and do laundry & dishes!!)

I'll be really good tomorrow!!
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Mon May 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Today, I should win another award for being good. My husband had some chips and an oatmeal cookie. I had none. I think 20 lbs should come off just based on that. :roll: Anyway, here's the menu:

Bfast - apple, banana and mango

Lunch - salad mix, with peppers, red onions & small yam

Dinner - stir-steamed chard & collards with onion, garlic peppers & a little bit of butternut squash (leftovers) with black beans & salsa (it was really good!)

Snack - apple

I still feel like I am in ketosis. I haven't weighed myself and thought I'd save it until this coming weekend. I usually lose weight pretty slowly though and find it discouraging.

I will be happy when I can fit into my jeans that have a regular waistband. I've found it "dangerous" to wear the kind that have stretch in them, as I don't notice when I'm gaining weight.

Not walking tonight, but will take a 2 hour one tomorrow!
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Unfortunately, I am catching a cold. I've been out in the garden though. Planted collards, kale, chard, sugar snap peas & kohlrabi. Am excited to see it grow. Never grown kohlrabi before.

B-fast: Black beans/salsa/salad mix

Lunch: Salad mix & part of a yam/peppers

Dinner: Same as breakfast

Snack: Small popcorn with yeast
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks, Debbie. I am feeling a little "down" right now because I want to exercise but really feel like I am fighting this cold. My daughter has it too and it is the second cold we've both had in 2 months!!! However, working in the school system is hard on one's immune system. I thought mine would get stronger, but I think these colds are pretty strong in themselves.

I hope you are still losing. I am a slow loser, so I am a little scared to check the scales right now as it could be discouraging. I am instead just plugging along and sticking with it.

Fortunately, I really love eating this way - never liked meats and really didn't like preparing them. So, I've got to count my blessings.

Today's Menu:

B - Oatmeal with cinnamon & a few raisins

L - Chili Beans with salad & a little yam

S - banana

D - Oil free humus & salad mix with apple
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 pm

The last couple of days I've been fighting a cold!! I finally won. I slept a lot and took vitamin C and garlic and didn't get the cough. yeah!! I haven't been very active, so I think I'd be disappointed if I looked at the scale. My pants are loser though, so I'll keep plugging along.

Today's Menu:

B-fast: oatmeal, apples, prunes, flax seeds, rice milk

Lunch: smoothie with mango, frozen cherries mixed berries and 2 collard leaves

Dinner: Raisin cole-slaw/beans/salsa
[/url]
simoncat

Postby LindaBC » Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Simoncat,

I am so glad to find this post. I have been looking for someone who had hair loss the way explain it because it is exactly like mine. I have tried every weird thing I have come across and nothing has worked. Even Mcdougle didn't work, although I am doing it and it has helped other things. I also don't remember my older relatives having thinning hair like so many women do today. I have been gluten free for about four weeks but I am afraid that I have not been very motivated and not very compliant but your testimony is just what I needed to spur me on. I also used to have thick hair and I am very upset with my now thin hair that I can see my scalp through. I am so glad that I can really have hope. Thank you so much!

Linda
LindaBC

Postby simoncat » Mon May 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi, Linda. Don't lose hope. It took about 9 months for all my scalp symptoms to go away; but it is totally worth it. I might be too optimistic but I believe I am getting hair growing back because I have a lot of short new hairs. You really should check out the book by Dr. Peter Green about Celiac Disease. Look it up on Amazon. There is actually an epidemic and a lot of people don't know they have it as it can have many different symptoms. Also, I know a lot of people probably don't think about it, but wheat is like glue when it is mixed with liquids . . . that is like glue going through your intestines, which if you think about it can't be good for anyone - even whole wheat Potatoes are way better for you and other more natural foods that aren't processed. Go gluten free and stick with this; I think things will get better for you!!! Let me know how you are doing, :nod:
[/url]
simoncat

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning