An Apple A Day But No Gluten/Soy

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

An Apple A Day But No Gluten/Soy

Postby simoncat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi, it's me, simoncat and I thought I'd journal here to try and keep myself honest about what I am eating. I started McDougalling about 9 months ago and have already cured an autoimmune disorder that I was experiencing - hypothyroidism. I have told others, but most people don't want to believe that diet can make a difference. . . Oh, well. I went to 4 different doctors, including 2 naturopaths and they did not listen and were fixated on their own training and I felt that they did not believe me when I told them that my scalp felt like it was on fire!! These were trained people who didn't seem to give me answers. Then, I found someone on the internet who posted about the same problems and said she she cured it by becoming a gluten free vegan and not eating rice or corn either. I wish I could find her and give her a giant hug, but when I look her post is gone and there are adds for drugs!!! I am fortunate that rice and corn don't seem to affect me.

Anyway, I also found that I cannot have gluten or soy. Thus, my diet is a little bit more restrictive than some, but I am getting used to it. I know that there are quite a few people here with the same problem and I appreciate their input.

Well, my experience with dieting has been lifelong. I am 54 years old now, but I noticed when I was 14 that whenever I would eat bread or gluten, I would gain weight like crazy. It was then that I started avoiding it, so becoming gluten free was not as hard for me. I am not saying it was easy, but I realized early on that it wasn't good for me.

Right now, I am 15 lbs overweight. This might not sound like much, but I am small boned and I also believe that is the last 20 lbs are usually the hardest to lose. Anyway, for me, dieting is a psychological game, really. I think it is for most people. I think if one totally says you cannot eat chocolate ever again, then the diet will be hard to stay on. I know I cannot eat gluten again because it will actually kill me, so for me I have to keep that promise to myself. However, I sometime plan to have a non-gluten treat sometime in the next couple of weeks. if I'm good.

Anyway, today I had to go to the grocery store and thus, I thought of my favorite treat - Kettle Corn. I decided to "visit" with the Kettle Corn and walked down the aisle to where it was. I then talked to it (not out loud), but I touched the bag and said to it, "I miss you and someday, I may have a little of you once again, but for right now, I can't. I then said goodbye, walked away and patted myself on the head and said, "good girl". I know this sounds like a crazy person, but it made me happy and kind of cured my lust for Kettle Corn. (I will probably be dragged out of the grocery store in a strait jacket if they caught it on film :eek: :x ) However, it is my psychological way of dealing with loss, which I think not being able to eat something you like is. Also, I think it works for me instead of just saying, "No", I am instead rewarding myself and not feeling so deprived. I know this sounds funny, but I thought it might help someone else.

Someday, I probably will give up Kettle Corn altogether, but for now one step at a time. Just like one of my favorite quotes by Twain, "Habit is habit and not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time".

Well, unfortunately, someone wants to use my computer and thus, I have to go. I'll write more what I am eating tomorrow.

Cheers!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Re: An Apple A Day But No Gluten/Soy

Postby simoncat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Today:

Breakfast = tropical oatmeal - small mango, banana and oatmeal plus rice milk (small amount)

Lunch = salad - lettuce, apple, red onion and 2 small gf corn tortillias with Esselstyn's fake cheese (humus, gf nutritional yeast, lemon juice, etc)

rice cake

Dinner = lettuce, carrots, oranges, celery, red onion, sesame seeds & humus, spray of balsamic vinegar
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm curious, what form of thyroid issues do you hhave and have you fully regained function?

I of course just had half my thyroid removed (see my blog if you want) but I tested positive for antibodies against it. I haven't had my levels checked since surgery, I go today tomorrow or Friday, but my surgeon is thnking I will be hypo. My original endo said I had autoimmune thyroiditis hashimotos to be specific. I have already "cured" my psoriasis using this WOE, but I was under the impression that once the thyroid was gone it was gone. So I'm really curious:)

I have not had my thyroid removed and if you have it removed, I think you have to take thyroid replacement . However, my issues were that I was extremely tired and almost couldn't function and I was losing my hair. I had really thick hair, but I would shower and small handfuls would come out. I'd never had that happen before, even when I was pregnant. I also had very dry skin. It has taken 9 months, but now I have no symptoms. No more hair loss, no more burning scalp and my skin is much better!!! Before I started this diet, my naturopath had put me on thyroid replacement. I was on it for 2 weeks and then my thyroid started aching (I'm not making that up); so, I stopped taking it. From what I've read, the problem isn't really your thyroid but your immune system attacking the thyroid and what has to be fixed is the immune system. However, at some point, the immune system destroys the thyroid. I guess that is what happened to you. My guess is that you might be a celiac, as gluten is blamed for this problem I haven't been tested for celiac, but from what I've read, the tests aren't always conclusive. You might want to read the book by Dr. Peter Green regarding /Celiac Disease, The New Epidemic (something like that). Anyway, I am glad to hear that you cured your psoriasis and hope that you are on your way to getting better. I'll read your blog.
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Anyway, I only had a partial thyroidectomy. I still have the left lobe. In fact I just today did my labs to see what function I may have and find out if I need meds or not. Because I still had a small amount of TSH, my surgeon is hopeful that that it functions. The right lobe that was removed was very toxic and I was alot more sick than I ever realized. In fact, in my blog I still need to make a post about my final diagnosis and my email talk with Dr. McDougall. Im just waiting for after my follow up appt next Wednesday.

My thyroid was found to be normal but I matched what the book said entitled, "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptom? When My Lab Tests Are Normal" by Datis Kharrazian, . He seems to know what is going on in the field. There are so many people with this problem. Almost all my friends of menopausal age are losing their hair and being told it's normal. My mother and grandmother did not lose their hair (at least not to the extent that I see a lot of women). You might look at the book. Anyway, I know that doing the McDougall diet as well as being gluten free has stopped my problems. I don't know if you ate a lot of GM soy, but that will also cause thyroid problems. I hope you heal soon!!!
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Yesterday I went for a 3 mile walk with my husband. It was cold, but I felt energetic and good to be out. I'm probably going to walk tonight too and hope to run 3 miles tomorrow!!! Next week hope to do a 5 mile run, so I'll see how this one goes.

Today's Menu:

B-fast: small mango, apple, banana

Lunch: lettuce, oranges, apples, onions and small gf corn tortillia with
Esselstyn's fake cheese

Dinner: Black beans with mango salsa and corn on a bed of kale.
popcorn
[/url]
simoncat

Postby victw » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am

simoncat wrote:
Today's Menu:

B-fast: small mango, apple, banana

Lunch: lettuce, oranges, apples, onions and small gf corn tortillia with
Esselstyn's fake cheese

Dinner: Black beans with mango salsa and corn on a bed of kale.
popcorn

What is Esselstyn's fake cheese? I assume it's a variant on the nutritional yeast theme - I'm looking for a new version - I'm not completely happy with any of mine.

Thanks.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby simoncat » Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 am

That is entirely possible, considering my diet years ago, even as near as 5 years ago.

Thanks.

Yes, I did the same, so I know somewhat what you are going through. It's amazing how much GM soy is out there. Even Kashi Cereal, which is owned by the Kellogg Company, uses GM soy and people think they are buying a healthy cereal!!!

I hope you are doing better! :nod: :nod:
[/url]
simoncat

Postby chewy » Sun May 01, 2011 10:06 am

hi simncat, do you eat air popped popcorn and plain brown rice cakes too?i do as i am gluten-free/soy-free like you.love this way of life!!
chewy

Postby simoncat » Sun May 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi, Vic & Chewy. Vic, I made that fake cheese and yes, it is made from nutritional yeast, ketchup, humus, lemon juice & tumeric. I won't say it tastes anything like cheese, but it's okay. I just needed a change from beans. Yes, Chewy, I like air popped popcorn and rice cakes too!!!

Well, why didn't someone tell me I wasn't really following the McDougall plan. I was eating too much fruit!!! I love fruit but I'll back off and just have 2 pieces a day, as the Dr. says. I just pulled out my "McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss" and realized I'll have to cut back

I went for a 3 mile run yesterday and one today. I am feeling a lot better. I think it's because I am taking vitamins now and drink my molasses drink. I take 1 tbsp. molasses and add it to hot water. Boy is it good and it really tastes better than coffee to me. I add a little rice milk to it too. Anyway, I think that has helped my lack of iron. I even sprinted 3 times. I've learned that if you take large steps and lean forward as well as not let your feet strike the ground hard, you are not as likely to injure yourself sprinting. Well, here's what I had to eat today so far and what I plan to eat for dinner. I found out after I weighed myself that I really have 20 lbs to lose instead of 15 :crybaby:. Oh well, attitude is everything.

B-fast: oatmeal, applesauce, & rice milk and molasses drink;
Lunch: I will confess, I was at the mall with my daughter and was in a hurry and had a mocha (I am not perfect and I'm sure I'll pay for it);
Dinner: onions, garlic, carrots, kale, broccoli & peppers with nutritional yeast

I'll do better tomorrow. :oops:
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Bfast - oatmeal, mango & rice milk;

Lunch - kale, mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, brocolli stir steamed with some nutritional yeast;

snack - banana

Dinner - black beans, salsa & corn with salad.

I am tired today and feel extra hungry. Guess it was all that exercise. It's cold here in the PNW. What happened to Spring?
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi, Debbie. I am near Seattle and today looked like a winter day! :(

I read in Dr. M's book if you want to lose weight rapidly, you should only have 2 fruits per day!! (Boo! Hoo!) I wonder though if you exercise a lot if that would still be true.

Anyway, I didn't walk or run today. I think I am tired from the previous days. I think tomorrow I'll walk and carry an 8 lb weight in my backpack for an extra good workout. It helps build more muscles and you get more of a workout than just a plain walk. If you haven't tried it, you might like it when you are better. Just take it slowly; you can use a couple cans of beans in a backpack at first.

I imagine you are getting plenty of sunny weather. I am green with envy!

"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb the world into peace". Michael Franti
[/url]
simoncat

Postby simoncat » Tue May 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Today was no easy day. I am a substitute teacher and taught in a Home Ec class. They were making chocolate chip cookies. The smell almost had me, but because of gluten, I was good. I think if they had been gluten free I wouldn't have been able to. Anyway, at the end of class I mentioned the movie, "Forks Over Knives" to them. I told them that they might like to see it without telling them exactly what it was about!!

Well, here's what I had today and I have lost one whole pound, but I think I may be in ketosis because my face feels funny (I don't get the funny taste in mouth like some, but my face feels like it's getting thinner). Isn't that strange?? My face doesn't need to lose weight :\

B-fast - oatmeal/applesauce/rice milk

snack - banana

Lunch - Lettuce, carrots and black beans

Dinner - small sweet potato; lettuce with chervil/oregano and chives (from the garden) /bell pepper/red onion with lemon juice; molasses drink

Took a long walk and went up a steep hill - am pooped!
[/url]
simoncat

Postby yogini girl » Wed May 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi
I had my thyroid removed about ten years ago due to hashimotis thyroiditis and a few nodules. Turned out to be full of cancer. I began McDougall diet three years ago and am feeling much better. I was very sick prior to having the thyroid removed. I am now gluten free, soy free, and eat a very clean McD diet. I do crave salted brown rice cakes however. Maybe I will try your technique of saying goodbye to my beloved rice cakes. Your diet seems very good. It doesn't seem like you are eating much. Are you losing weight? I want to lose about five to seven pounds and am having a heck of a time. Here's what I eat.

B - oatmeal plus a banana and red rooibis tea
L - brown rice, sweet potatoe, black beans or humus, greens, and a mixture of a medley of tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, ginger and onion
D- same thing as lunch pretty much - maybe squash instead of sweet potatoe.
I try to fit a salad in there with mixed greens and tomatoes

Snack - i eat lots of rice cakes. I really need to stop - I think it is why I am having trouble losing. Love them though.

What do you think of my diet?
Thanks for your help.

Jess
Let the beauty we love be what we do. RUMI
yogini girl

Postby chewy » Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

hi yogini! it's me chewy susan-just thought i'd say hi to you !are you going :oops: to give up our beloved rice cakes?i would miss them dearly myself!
chewy

Postby simoncat » Wed May 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi, Jess and Chewy. Jess, everyone is different and I think Dr. M addresses that in his books. You might be like me, sensitive to rice cakes and processed foods, like bread (gf or otherwise). I was looking at his book for maximum weight loss and it looked like it's better to eat brown rice, rather than a rice cake. When I started this diet last August, I lost 15 lbs quickly; however, I then started eating nuts and dried fruit. Wham!!! That was a bad mistake on my part!! Now I don't eat any of those, cause once I start, I can't really stop with them. Anyway, I am now experimenting with how much fruit I can eat. He says to have 2 fruits a day; but since I'm active I have been having 3 at times. I just started on this and am being strickter and so far I've lost just a pound, but I think it's going to start coming off soon. We'll see.

Todays Menu

Bfast- oatmeal/mango/banana

Lunch: - black beans/salsa/corn/greens

Snack: small cup of brown rice

Dinner - curried rice/apple/peppers/onions/garlic/cabbage/brocolli

Going on a walk. Nice weather today! A deer walked through my garden. Beautiful!
[/url]
simoncat

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning