Countinuing: "Getting it right, at last!"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Countinuing: "Getting it right, at last!"

Postby frozenveg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Alba! (What's it like for us to be calling you by your dog's name? :eek: :lol: :lol: )

It's fitting that I catch up on your journal today, as I have been to the dentists today, too. I had a deep cleaning on the top set of teeth, and the dentist also had to go back into where my lower right molar was extracted and cut out a bit of bone or tooth that had been left behind a month ago when they did the extraction. I've eaten oatmeal & pineapple (at 5 pm) and a large mashed sweet potato since then--all soft food.

How's your root canal doing? Are you able to eat solid food again? I hope I will be a bit more normal tomorrow. I have stitches in the former molar area, so I'm going to be taking it pretty slow. I may stick with oatmeal tomorrow, too.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Alba » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:57 am

Hi frozenveg: I got off lucky with the root canal as it was totally uneventful even after the freezing wore off. No problem with you calling me alba as Alba in Gaelic means Scotland where I was born.
:-) The dog's shelter name was Albany but we thought too cumbersome so we shortened to something that means something to us (to me anyway).
Kind of a rush around day, so no packed lunch.
breakfast" o/m and pineapples
snack: banana
lunch: lomein noodles and steamed vegetables ( probably too much salt and fat in it but doing the best I could)
supper: mashed potatoes, veg and beans.
Felt a little lethargic yesterday evening but a good night's sleep makes such a difference. April is off to a good start and looking forward (well, maybe not looking forward) to raking our half acre yard, there are some branch clippings from where the dog fence is going and general cleaning of winter kill. It looks much better and ready for the growing season when this is done. Enjoy your day.
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

Postby Alba » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 am

I did some of the raking and tidying up of yard yesterday as well two good walks with the dog. Some leaves and branches were burned, just doing a little bit makes a difference.

Breakfast: o/m and pineapples
Snack: apple
Lunch: a crock of potatoes, my favourite, with a little smoked oak salt , ground black pepper and some dijon mustard.
Supper: rice and lentils.
Not much veggies yesterday but there's always today.
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

Postby burgh_grl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 am

Alba wrote:I did some of the raking and tidying up of yard yesterday as well two good walks with the dog. Some leaves and branches were burned, just doing a little bit makes a difference.Hey there Alba! We did the same here in Orlando...a total yard clean up day after a major storm last week. It was a good amount of hard work, but it felt GOOD. After my cookie binge, I was sure to have a really GOOD food day yesterday. Did my Leslie Sansone 1 brisk power walking mile, & very light clean food day. I'll give my mistake a week of good behavior - to hopefully~ restore!

Breakfast: o/m and pineapplesI'm gonna try this very soon!! :)
Lunch: a crock of potatoes, my favourite, with a little smoked oak salt , ground black pepper and some dijon mustard.
Supper: rice and lentils.
Not much veggies yesterday but there's always today.
A very good day Alba...excellent...keep on! ;)
burgh_grl

Postby Alba » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks burgh-girl, we all need the support and reinforcement from each other. Yesterday was some yard work and a few walks with the dog. We had a houseful of people and he is settling in nicely, he met another "aunt" yesterday. He's a hit with them all.
Breakfast: o/m pineapples
Lunch: mashed potatoes, beans and veggies
snack: some baked potato chips (store bought) not good and the salt won't help either
Supper: was rice and veggies and garbanzos
snack: crust Italian bread with a smear of dijon mustard.
Not a great day, food wise but you do what you can and will be on the straight and narrow today. One plus of yesterday, I did receive a couple of comments of how I was looking thinner....keep them coming :-)
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

Postby burgh_grl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:44 am

Alba wrote:Thanks burgh-girl, we all need the support and reinforcement from each other. Yesterday was some yard work and a few walks with the dog. We had a houseful of people and he is settling in nicely, he met another "aunt" yesterday. He's a hit with them all. A nice balanced day for you...how perfect indeed! Ohhh boy, you've hit the proverbial nail on the head...the support is indeed[i]vital! [/i]
Breakfast: o/m pineapples
Lunch: mashed potatoes, beans and veggies
snack: some baked potato chips (store bought) not good and the salt won't help either I hear that...things just happen sometimes...the ups and downs of life are not going to disappear, we just need to ATONE :-) the next days...get right back on track. Once again (yes, this time I truly DID trash the damn nuts and cookies!!) I "lost it" because I was so stressed...and exhausted after a lonnng day's working in the yard.- HALT-...do you know what that acronym stands for? Hungry, angry, lonely, tired..i hve been at least the last three of those when I go so insane at night. hmmmm...something's got to change!
Supper: was rice and veggies and garbanzos
snack: crust Italian bread with a smear of dijon mustard.
Not a great day, food wise but you do what you can and will be on the straight and narrow today. One plus of yesterday, I did receive a couple of comments of how I was looking thinner....keep them coming :-)
ohhh, that's WONDERFUL!! :D Pump the water today Alba...that'll help flush the salt. For me as well...it's a NEW day...lets go!!
burgh_grl

Postby carollynne » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I love my little rescue Yorkie too, :-D I took her for a nice walk at a park and she is in hog heaven and loves every child and dog we see.
Will have to try the cream of wheat with mango thing.
Sticking with it til I get healthy and off these HBP pills that is my motto. It is just just seems like such a very slow loss, but really, I get a lot of encouragement from reading your journal.
You will do this!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Alba » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Atone, I did today Burgh-girl.
Lunch: rice beans and veggies. I don't know what spice combo what DW puts in it but its great.
Supper: split pea soup with some nuked sliced potatoes.

Carolynne, we really enjoy our walks with the new guy. His hound nose is picking up all kinds of intersting stuff that he would love to follow. We are the benficiaries of this walking campaign.
Don't let the slow progress in weight loss impede you, remember how many years it took to put it on. Its wiser to lose slowly. After three months I just had some comments about looking a little thinner. While this really pleases me its all about the journey and my goal. Keep up the good work.
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

Postby burgh_grl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:04 am

carollynne wrote:I love my little rescue Yorkie too, :-D :D The MOSt precious pups those are!!! ahhh, love em to death I do. The terrier breed can be so willful...at least my mini schnauzer IS, but ahhh, we love em don't we? ;-) I took her for a nice walk at a park and she is in hog heaven and loves every child and dog we see.Brilliant..you're doing for HER what she so needs, as well as your SELF ...great job!
Will have to try the cream of wheat with mango thing. Ohhh my, see if you can't google "kessari bath"...and come up with the recipe. it is ..incredible! a special treat though.
Sticking with it til I get healthy and off these HBP pills that is my motto. ohhh my, yeah,...you MUST dear Carollynne...tht's serious stuff![color=#FF00FF][/color] It is just just seems like such a very slow loss,ohhh i know, i know...but this is not~ a RACE :\ we've got to remember! What really counts, is the consistency of doing the right things...where were you last year at this time? or the year before that? NEXT year...how do you visualize yourself? Image that...every detail... This hs been an emotional year from Hell for me, but...i'm coming out of it on the other side now...as we do. NOW...~ time to clean up the damage! I had three(!!!) binges last week, but yesterday...was a very good day. One, by one, by one...we'll "get r done" :D Make it a GOOD one for yourself...if you don't do it...it's not gonna happen!! but really, I get a lot of encouragement from reading your journal.Thank you mucho...that's what we're all doing...helping each other! ;-)
You will do this!!
burgh_grl

Postby Alba » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 am

Sage word burgh-girl!
I have been A.W.O.L. these last two days, but my regimen has been the same, Tuesday's supper was especially one of my favourites, DW makes a wonderful veggie chili with tvp loose "hamburger".
My older brother came to visit overnight and we had a good time watching an old British black and white movie about the Battle of Britain. I have an amateur family historian for over 35 years and was excited about the 1911 census becoming avaialble so the two of us downloaded extracts that showed some of grandparents and great grandparents in Scotland.
Yesterday was an uneventful day, I am at the age where I wish to live in "uninteresting times" :-)
Snack banana and raw veggies
Lunch: rice veggies and beans
Supper: mashed potatoes with some left over veggie chili.
A little peckish last night so I nuked some potato slices.
Weight is fairly constant, but edging downward.

We are loving the walks with dog and so does he of course. He seems to have settled in nicely, the kennel cough seems to have gone and he get excited to see us when anyone of us has been away. We are now looking to get a female companion for him as docile as he is.
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

Postby burgh_grl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 am

Alba wrote:Sage word burgh-girl! ;-) And a very good morning to you Alba- good to see you here again!
I have been A.W.O.L. these last two days,that's alreight...we'll give you some time off! but my regimen has been the same, Tuesday's supper was especially one of my favourites, DW makes a wonderful veggie chili with tvp loose "hamburger".Lovely...yes, I make something like that...it's very good!
My older brother came to visit overnight and we had a good time watching an old British black and white movie about the Battle of Britain.ahhh, that's wonderful! Wish that I had family ...it's just my hubby & myself, and our two pups. No kids either...oh well, this is my current incarnation i guess! I have an amateur family historian for over 35 years WOW!! and was excited about the 1911 census becoming avaialble omgosh...how about THAT?! so the two of us downloaded extracts that showed some of grandparents and great grandparents in Scotland.What a time we live in huh? that's fascinating! My husband is of Scottish origin's himself...the McFarland's. His mom has done some extensive background history as well.
Yesterday was an uneventful day, I am at the age where I wish to live in "uninteresting times" :-)ha-ha-ha- ohhhh, i know what you mean. Yes, indeed! All the chaos and trauma gets~ so wearing doesnt it?
Snack banana and raw veggies
Lunch: rice veggies and beans
Supper: mashed potatoes with some left over veggie chili.
A little peckish last night so I nuked some potato slices.
Weight is fairly constant, but edging downward.ohhh my, you know, I think of your disapline, your lovely daily regimen such as it is, and so wish i could be that way!! Whyyyyyy....do I seem to NEED such variety? I go a lil ~CRAZY~ at times, trying to continually come up with new and exciting dishes!! It's maddening i tell you... & I know, it doesnt have to be so hard!! :roll: mooaaaan....I don't understand it. I did however make ...someone's EZ curry recipe yesterday! It was delish...by the way :-)

We are loving the walks with dog and so does he of course. :D ahhh, isnt it nice though...it takes so very little to make them HAPPY!! Truly HAPPY!! He seems to have settled in nicely, the kennel cough seems to have gone and he get excited to see us when anyone of us has been away.The faithful, loyal companionship of our dogs, yes..a lovely slic of life indeed. We are now looking to get a female companion for him as docile as he is.
OMGOODNESS...that's going to be exciting!! I did similarly. It wasnt terribly well thought out though...I just came upon this pup, a mini schnauzer, and felt like Max, our chihuahua, needed a friend...he's been a holy terror, this one has!! GEEEZE Alba...I've never HAD a dog like this one. He does NOT obey!! UNLESS you have a treat..but NEVER ~without. FORGET about it!! Aint happenin!! :?

ahhh well, he's just over a year old now, so perhaps he's got some growing yet to do. BEST of luck with that endeavor! Meanwhile, I'm going to keep in my mind, your daily diet. Its so entirely sensible, satisfying, and PERFECT really...i'm going to take a page from your book on this, truly! I love what you're doing!! Have a great day!!
burgh_grl

Postby frozenveg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Alba, just checking in to say you seem to be doing quite well, and I love the idea that you are doing family history! My mom did that a lot in her day, and DH and I joined Ancestry.com last year and did a lot of exciting digging--found his nonexistent (!) grandfather on his Dad's side, and then we kind of lost interest--we'll have to get back into it someday soon. Did you do Ancestry.com too? You mentioned downloading the census, which is why I ask. Those censuses are so exciting to read! It made this year's US census positively BORING in comparison!!! :lol:
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Alba » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 am

Hi burgh-girl and frozen veg. Yes frozen I belong to ancestry.com it has been invaluable to me and my researches. I think I have found more on my family since the internet came to me 13 years ago than all the time previously researching as I said I have been doing it since 1974 (when I was in diapers :lol: ) Burgh-girl, the only problem we have with the little guy is that he wants to strain his leash so we are working on that, he can't seem to help following his nose :| As for MacFarland (with a "d" at the end) that is usually a spelling from Northern Ireland from Scots that settled there. Another thing you mentioned about variety and it probably looks like my stuff is mostly the same and it is but DW season things so nicely, that I never get tired of the same stuff.
Ladies it s lovely to have people drop in and post on my journal, thank you for taking the time.
DW and I watched Heavy all this season and enjoyed it, since they are about helping the people not making it a reality show where made are used any old way for entertainment. Last night was the follow ups to see how people were doing and so far it has been positive and interesting refrain is that in most cases they have continued to lose weight and have gone on to helping others in either counseling or fitness classes.
A little peek on the weigh scale shows a new low. its only in tenths of a pound but progressively lower which I like, I mean I get excited about a breakthrough on a pound threshold. I am 258.1 (started at 274) and looking to get to 257. that 's where we want to be for the next mini goal. This may seem low but its my pace I and feel no pain and yet gain in feeling good and good about myself.
Snack: banana and raw veggies
Lunch: rice beans and veggies
Supper: split pea soup and slices of a baguette smeared with dijon mustard.
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

Postby burgh_grl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:30 am

Alba wrote:Hi burgh-girl and frozen veg.Good morning Alba! Yes frozen I belong to ancestry.com it has been invaluable to me and my researches. I think I have found more on my family since the internet came to me 13 years ago than all the time previously researching as I said I have been doing it since 1974 (when I was in diapers :lol: ) Burgh-girl, the only problem we have with the little guy is that he wants to strain his leash so we are working on that, he can't seem to help following his nose :|Indeed! It's what they're bred to do after all! :) As for MacFarland (with a "d" at the end) that is usually a spelling from Northern Ireland from Scots that settled there.Interesting...thank you...i'll share with my husband. Another thing you mentioned about variety and it probably looks like my stuff is mostly the same and it is but DW season things so nicely, that I never get tired of the same stuff.Lovely...I'm sure she does. As an artist in particular,~ she surely would ;)
Ladies it s lovely to have people drop in and post on my journal, thank you for taking the time.My pleasure,-it's wonderful to see how you're getting on with this. Slow and measured ~is the best way!
DW and I watched Heavy all this season and enjoyed it, since they are about helping the people not making it a reality show where made are used any old way for entertainment.Exactly! I agree. Last night was the follow ups to see how people were doing and so far it has been positive and interesting refrain is that in most cases they have continued to lose weight and have gone on to helping others in either counseling or fitness classes.Isnt that wonderful. It's what it's all about, isnt it? Sharing what we know in this life, so that other's can benefit? We MUST...i feel, it's our duty as human's. :)
A little peek on the weigh scale shows a new low. :D ohhh, how happy you must be to see that. its only in tenths of a poundAnd that's perfectly alright!! but progressively lower which I like, I mean I get excited about a breakthrough on a pound threshold. Of COURSE!! Congrats!! I am 258.1 (started at 274) and looking to get to 257. that 's where we want to be for the next mini goal.YOu're so close now!! WOW...beautiful! This may seem low but its my pace I and feel no pain and yet gain in feeling good and good about myself.There's no better way is there? One day, I know I'll be able to get my husband to join me fully on this. I've known him many years now...35 or so, and this will be superb for his health. He'd be inspired by your success as well. He's at an all time high of 279 himself, at 6'3".
Breakfast: o/m and pineapplesI just bought another can...i WILL try this and soon! How much oatmeal would you say you have Alba? does it take you through the morning? I find i'm fairly hungry in two hours. :)
Snack: banana and raw veggies
Lunch: rice beans and veggies
Supper: split pea soupI love this! and slices of a baguette smeared with dijon mustard.

perfect! Have a wonderful day!
burgh_grl

Postby Alba » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for your input burgh-girl.
Breakfast: o/m and crushed pineapples if not avaialble then tidbits.
snack: banana
Lunch: rice veggies and white kidney beans
snack: late afternoon and getting peckish, so off Subway for veggie wrap
Supper: mashed potatoes with beans and steamed broccoli.
Oh I had a few handfuls of mixed nuts unsalted that I could have done without.
Non eventful day but two long walks with the dog. We are taking to the groomer today for his first bath either or we change his name to Mr. Pong!!!!
VEGAN.....for Life!
Alba

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals