mtns journal 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: mtns journal 2011

Postby mtns » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Yeah! According to the scale this morning, I lost 2 lbs. I am now down to 145.6. I just need to keep to this MWP way of eating. I like eating this way. When temptations arise I have been trying to pray. The shocking thing for me is lately, I feel like I have been eating like a pig. Yesterday I was so starving all day. I felt like I was eating all day. Anyway, it was a good day.
My class starts on Monday. I am getting excited and nervous. I have finished the book, now I just have to go over it and do a check on it. Then I have to type up a couple more recipes and just print it all out.

E: 1 hr. boot camp class, 20 min. elliptical( the boot camp class had a substitute and it wasn't as much cardio. I went with my sister and she says it is usually much tougher. I will probably go next week)

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia

L: leftover snap jambalaya , salad, a few sweet potatoes

S: green smoothie or fruit

D: homemade fries, steamed or fresh veggies

S: oatmeal
mtns

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 pm

LOL, sometimes those heavy eating days are followed by a nice loss on the scale. Glad you are happy with the MWL book.

Oh, in our house, we have a rule: neither of us is allowed to be the "food police" for the other. We can discuss the food, what we're eating, and how it's going but no judging or pushing to do it a different way. After over two decades of marriage, this keeps the tension out of the kitchen and dining room!
Chile

Postby mtns » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:06 pm

Tonight is may class. I am both nervous and excited. I don't know yet what I am serving up as far as food it concerned. I want the first meal to kind of wow them so they come back. I was thinking of fahitias, sweet potatoes with black bean and corn salsa or my version of costa vida salad. It is a hard decision. All of them I plan on making anyway, I just want the first night to be special. I have a lot to get done so this will be a short post.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana

S: rice cake

L: kind of leftover day a little of everything: leftover veggie noodle soup, leftover snap jambalya, sweet potatoes ( there was hardly any left of anything, so I kind of just ate what was left), salad

S: fruit or green smoothie

D: Whatever I am making for dinner tonight at class

S: oamteal if still hungry
mtns

Postby kittyadventures » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Mtns.. Hope the class went well.. all that food sounds mega yummy to me!
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby mtns » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:01 pm

I made the fahitas last night. The bad part is I forgot to bring my cut up veggies, so I had to have my daughter run to the store, she ended up buying stirfry veggies. It worked, but not quite the same. Everyone still loved the food though. I want to teach them that eating this way can taste good. Next week I think I am going to make my hummus and green smoothies. I think if a person can taste test the food it really helps. I remember when I was new to vegan eating that I went to potlucks and many foods I thought wouldn't be good together I really enjoyed. It was a fun night.

E: I am going to go work out later, I got up late this morning, so probably weights and some cardio

L: fahitia veggies over sweet potatoes, 2 slices of tofu

S: fruit of some sort( maybe apple or if hungry blueberries over sweet potatoes, which I tried and is really really good)

D: my son actually asked for baked potatoes, he said he could eat some kind of potatoes all week, like baked potatoes, fries and mashed potatoes. It made me excited to see how much he likes them. So it is baked potatoes, salad and veggie for dinner

S: oatmeal if hungry
mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Not much going on. I have been feeling pretty good with how I am doing. Yesterday for snack I had sweet potatoes with heated up blueberries on them. It was so so good. I need to cut up and cook some more sweet potatoes today. I like to have them on hand. I would also like to cook up some hashbrowns, I like to be able to just heat those up and eat at times too.

B: oatmeal with1/2 banana, stevia

L: baked potatoe with bbq sauce, fahitia veggies, 1 corn tortilla, salad

S: sweet potatoes with blueberries ( maybe) or apple

D: hashbrowns, veggies

mtns

Postby mtns » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I am excited to go grocery shopping today. I am running low on food again. I have been doing pretty good latley, although I feel like I am eating a lot of food.

E:1 hr. weight lifting class, 35 min. elliptical

S: a few sweet potatoes

L: leftover hashbrowns, salad

S: lefotver hashbrowns and a few sweet potatoes with blueberries

D: stirfy or mexican dish, veggies

S: oamteal or popcorn
mtns

Postby mtns » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 pm

I ended up having homemade fries last night for dinner. I was so tired, I just didn't feel like cooking and I had leftover baked potatoes in the fridge. They made a quick and easy meal. I did get a ton of groceries and we are now set, at least for a little while. When you have kids, food goes fast.

Today my daughter and I are going to the fair to be part of our church's booth for a couple of hours. I plan on bringing a snack, so I am not tempted at all. Apparently there is a donut booth accross the way. My husband went yesterday. I was so proud of him. He said people walked past with deep fried twinkies and he said they looked so good. He said he did end up having a slice of pizza and some turkey. But for him that is really good. He loves his sweets, so for him not to get any at the fair was so good. He has done so well lately and has lost nearly 20 lbs. already.It helps that he is working from home this year, so that he eats most of his meals here at home.

My oldest daughter called me last night to tell me that I really inspired her. She went to my weight loss class Monday night and said that it made her want to be healthy. She has gained some weight since she left home and has been sick a lot. She decided to cut out the dairy. She has always had problems with dairy since she was young. But she has been getting sick so much that she finally decided to cut it out and start eating healthier. It made me feel good that she wants to change her eating and get her body healthy, that maybe some of my lecturing and healthy eating has rubbed off on her a little.

S: 2 rice cakes

L: sweet potatoes with refried beans and salsa, salad

S; apple, maybe a few sweet potatoes

D: homemade pizza, veggies ( I may have pizza sauce on sweet potatoes- don't know what I will have time for)

S: banana ice cream or oatmeal
or popcorn
mtns

Postby mtns » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:21 pm

I have been hungry all day today. I don't know why unless it was the tough workout I did today. I went to a bootcamp class, that just kicked my butt, but I loved it. I plan on going again next week.

We also watched Soul Surfer again tonight. I love that movie, it is so inspiring. Here is my hungry day journal:

E: 1 hr. boot camp class

B: oatmeal with 1 banana, stevia

S: 1 rice cake

L: a little leftover baked potato, green smoothie

S: 2 rice cakes, apple with a little almond butter

S: a while later, 1/4 c. oatmeal

D: stirfry veggies, brown rice

mtns

Postby mtns » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:26 pm

I have been kind of down today. I guess I feel like I have so much to do and so little time to do it in. Then I was going to go decorate my daughters apt. door last night for her 21st birthday today and I got so busy yesterday that I forgot. I called her this morning, but it wasn't the same. We all have been so busy latley that it is hard to get together. We were going to take her and her husband out to eat, but we will have to wait when we all have a day that we can get together.

I know I should not be depressed about my weight, it is just that I look at my sister and she looks so good. I want to look like that. I get a little jealous of her. I am happy with my 2lb. weight loss, but I haven't lost any more weight. I keep thinking that I should be losing more weight. I feel like I am eating a lot less and I do pretty well sticking to the MWL. I can't say it is 100 percent, because I know a few days I have had some other things, like Friday when I had pizza. I have learned I need to be prepared. It helps if I have snacks and food already prepared, like sweet potatoes and potatoes. They are easy to grab and eat, along with fruit.

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia, 1/2 my son's gluten free pancake

L: homemade chili, salad
and 2 corn tortillas

S: green smoothie

D: sweet potatoes, veggies
mtns

Postby to_our_health » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:13 pm

mtns wrote:I have been kind of down today. I guess I feel like I have so much to do and so little time to do it in. Then I was going to go decorate my daughters apt. door last night for her 21st birthday today and I got so busy yesterday that I forgot. I called her this morning, but it wasn't the same. We all have been so busy latley that it is hard to get together. We were going to take her and her husband out to eat, but we will have to wait when we all have a day that we can get together.

I know I should not be depressed about my weight, it is just that I look at my sister and she looks so good. I want to look like that. I get a little jealous of her. I am happy with my 2lb. weight loss, but I haven't lost any more weight. I keep thinking that I should be losing more weight. I feel like I am eating a lot less and I do pretty well sticking to the MWL. I can't say it is 100 percent, because I know a few days I have had some other things, like Friday when I had pizza. I have learned I need to be prepared. It helps if I have snacks and food already prepared, like sweet potatoes and potatoes. They are easy to grab and eat, along with fruit.

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia, 1/2 my son's gluten free pancake

L: homemade chili, salad
and 2 corn tortillas

S: green smoothie

D: sweet potatoes, veggies

Hi Mtns,
Hope you don't mind if I make a comment...I've been reading for years but have just recently started posting.

This is not meant as a judgment, but as an observation...it seems that more often than not your entries begin with something like, well I've been doing good although I did have one taste of...a little bit of...I had that one off plan thing...I had one of those...

I know it's hard to believe that just a bit here and there could make that much of a difference, and in your case I don't know if it does, but I've also read others journeys where they describe the same exact situation and then decide to do an experiment....commit to absolutely no more bites and tastes and just a little ofs for a period of time, say a month, and see if it does make a difference.

And then they plan, plan, plan and stay motivated by being interested in the outcome of the experiment and along the way have some tastebuds reawakened, enjoy some foods more, and the weight begins to come off again. I'm wondering if the same would work for you!

Hope I haven't read anything into your post that I shouldn't have, and I know how hard it is to keep on track when things get super busy and crazy.
to_our_health

Postby mtns » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Thankyou so much to our health, You are not reading things into my journal. It is true. I need people to hold me accountable. I need people to call me on stuff. You have inspired me. I think for the next month I will commit to do MWL 100 percent and see what happens. I will also be totally honest with my post, because if I am honest with my post, I am being honest with myself as well. Thankyou again. Tomorrow starts my new journey.
Kathy
mtns

Postby to_our_health » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

We had a partial power outage here and just getting back online...it was due to squirrels chewing threw a line! We have so many squirrels around here...the worst was a few years ago when they chewed through the cable to our internet and it took over a week to get that fixed!

Tomorrow is indeed a new day...wishing you inspiration and determination...and good eating!
to_our_health

Postby mtns » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:17 pm

My mother in law has a lot of squirrels as well, luckily none of them have done that. That is so weird. Thanks for the words of encouragment. I hate to say I already messed up today. I told myself I would be totally honest and I am going to be. I had a taste of some homemade dip I made for the kids and I had two bites of gluten free pancake this morning( luckily it had nothing on it, but still not good). I intend on being good the rest of the day.

I have my weight loss class tonight at the church. I am excited to see how the second week is going to go. I am making broccoli soup and black bean brownies( no brownies for me).

E: 1 hr x-biking

B: oatmeal with banana, stevia

L: leftover chili, carrots and celery ( like I say the two bites of gluten free pancake and the two bites of veggies with a little dip)

S: sweet potatoes with blueberries

D: broccoli soup, salad

S: oatmeal if still hungry
mtns

Postby to_our_health » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:47 pm

My kids are out of the house now and DH also eats this way so I don't have the temptations...a whole lot easier by a long shot!

At least 2 bites is better than 2 pancakes!

That is so great you are doing the class, both for yourself and the others who might not ever have known without your initiative. Enjoy!
to_our_health

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals