mtns journal 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: mtns journal 2011

Postby mtns » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:24 pm

My devotion went wonderful yesterday. The Lord really gave me the words to say. My announcement came out in the bulletin this morning. I had a couple of people come up to me about it. Hopefully I have more that are interested. I am really starting to get excited about it.

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana, stevia

L: homemade broccoli soup with a few baked tortilla chips, salad

S: apple or green smoothie

D: sweet potatoes or oatmeal
mtns

Postby mtns » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:04 pm

My husband and I ended up taking my almost 12yr. son( on Tuesday) out to dinner last night for his birthday. He chose to go to Garcia's. It is not my favorite place to eat, but it was what he chose. I ended up eating a bean burrtio with no cheese and some rice. It was good, but I don't really like white flour tortillas anymore. They taste kind of pasty. Back at doing school again today.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

L: leftover broccoli soup, salad

S; apple or green smoothie

D: black bean burger, sweet potatoes, veggies

S: oatmeal
mtns

Postby mtns » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm

I saw Forks over Knives was out. I can't wait to see it. I may watch it later this afternoon. I watched the Last Heart Attack yesterday and I really liked it. I thought they did a fairly good job on it. I had a good idea this morning and set out some carrots and some olives for the kids to munch on. For some reason if they are sitting on the counter during school they are more likely to eat them than if they are at a meal. That is the way it was today. They were munching away. I think I will do that during school days.

E: 1 hr. elliptical, 30 min. weights

B: oatmeal with blueberries and stevia ( yum)

L: leftover black bean burger ( I made Happy Herbivores easy black bean burgers and they are so yummy and easy), a few sweet potatoes, roasted veggies

S: green smoothie or apple

D: mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus, salad

S: oatmeal if hungry
mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 pm

I am so tired of not losing these last 7 lbs. I don't know what the deal is. I feel like I am eating less than I used to, but no weight loss. I am trying not to get frustrated. The last little bit I have had a little pb with my apples, I think I am going to cut that out and see if that helps. I hate measuring food, but maybe I need to for a while. I have been pretty good about sticking to plan.

B: oatmeal with peach and stevia (ymmy, I love peaches)

L: leftover sweet potatoes, salad

S: green smoothie

D: sweet potatoes or hashbrowns, veggies

mtns

Postby f1jim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 pm

I think you just found your answer. The devil is in the details. You didn't journal peanut butter previously so it makes one wonder about what else is left off. Anything added to the other things you journalled? Sauces, condinments, etc? Also things slow down when you are near your ideal weight. Weight loss will never be a straight line.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby mtns » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Thankyou f1jim, it is true, I didn't journal the pb that I had with apples. I really should have. I am glad I have people here to help me along the way. I have decided I am done with that stuff. Lunch was not good, because I got too hungry and didn't stick to MWL, but that is my plan now to stick to that and make sure I eat my veggies first and then have my other food. That seemed to help before, so that is what I am going to do. I have never liked the idea of counting calories, instead I like the idea of listening to my body, it is more realistic, but I need to make sure I am eating a clean diet so that I can be able to listen to my body accuratley. I remember after I had my last baby (6yrs ago), that I craved dates like crazy. For a while I couldn't get enough of them. I realized I was a little low in iron and the dates helped me to feel better. I don't ever want to be counting calories the rest of my life. That is why I like this way of eating. I will admit, I have been tempted to count calories this last little bit of the weight that I have to lose, but I now I realize I just need to stick to the MWL striclty.

E: 1hr weight lifting class, 40 min. elliptical

L: hashbrowns with 2 slices of soy cheese ( not a good option I need to cut that out), 1 slice of rice bread, green smoothie- not good for MWL ( need to cut out the bread and slice soy cheese, like I say I was starving)

S: maybe some sweet potatoes

D: stirfry veggies with basmati brown rice

mtns

Postby mtns » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Not a bad day so far. I plan on sticking to MWL. I have ordered the book in hopes of giving me some inspiration and maybe some menu ideas to kick it up a notch.

B: oatmeal with 1/2 banana

L: stirfy with brown basmati rice, 3 slices of tofu( I thought I would be honest- no more of this now)

S: apple or cantalope and strawberries

D: my version of costa vida salad

S: oatmeal or banana ice cream
mtns

Postby mtns » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 am

I didn't do as well as I would have liked yesterday. I did good up until dinner. Yesterday was crazy and so my husband bought burritos. I had a veggie burrito last night without cheese and sour cream. Then I had a few bites of cake that the kids made yesterday. I feel like I have so much to get done sometimes that I get overwhelmed, and sometimes I eat without thinking. I need to stop that and just eat MWL way. I feel better when I do.

On the plus side local peaches came in at our fruit stands. They are so good. I need to freeze some of them today. Plus we bought some local corn on the cob, some watermelon, cantalopes and cucumbers. I am so excited about the local produce. Peach season is my favorite.

E: 1 hr step aerobics

S: rice cake with slice of soy cheese( no more soy cheese for me)

L: sweet potatoes with dijon mustard, veggies

S: peach, sweet potatoes

D: don't know yet, my daughter and her husband are coming for dinner. I know we will have some of that corn on the cob. I would love to grill up some veggies too.

S: if hungry oatmeal
mtns

Postby mtns » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Tomorrow we are going to a sheep dog competition. I am excited and think it will be fun for the kids and I. I plan on bringing some sweet potatoes to eat for lunch, because I know we will be getting food and there won't be much to eat, maybe I will bring some carrots as well.

B: oatmeal with fresh peach, stevia

L: my version of costa vida salad( black beans, rice, lettuce, salsa and my homemade dressing), corn on the cob

D: green smoothie, hashbrowns

S: oatmeal, 1 rice cake with jelly and small amount of Pb( I know I shouldn't have had that)
mtns

Postby mtns » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:04 pm

The sheep dog competion was fun, but long. I am so tired. It is good to be home.

E: 45 min. jogging outside (4mi.)

B: oatmeal with peach, stevia

L: 1 crust of pizza (at the sheep dog competition), my sweet potatoes with dijon mustard

D: my costa vida type salad, corn on the cob

S: oatmeal or fruit
mtns

Postby mtns » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:29 pm

It's hard to get back into the swing of things when you have had a long weekend. But it was so nice to finally get to bed early. I went to bed at 9:30 pm last night. I really needed the sleep. I felt so much better when my alarm went off at 5am.

S: 1 rice cake with a little jam

L: sweet potato nachos, salad

S: watermelon and cantalope mixture

D: mashed potatoes with steamed veggies mixed in, raw veggies

mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:06 pm

I was proud of myself last night. My husband wanted to go out to eat, and I wanted to stay MWL compliant. He wanted to go Sizzler to get a steak. So I agreed since I knew they had a salad bar. I loved the choices of fresh fruit and salad. All the other salads were loaded with fat. So I got a big plate of salad with lots of veggies and beans and I had some watermelon and some mandarin oranges. Then I asked for a plain baked potato. It all tasted really good and I was good and full. The hardest part for me was when they brought the rolls. I love rolls. But I prayed and asked the Lord to help me and I didn't even have one bite. Yeah! victory.

We also bought some tennis rackets and tennis balls. My husband knows I have been dying to play tennis all summer long. Now that it is cool enough we can go and not die of sweat. We will probably go on Thursday. I am not very good, but I like to play.

S: rice cake with 1 slice of soy cheese( Iknow I shouldn't have had the soy cheese. I need to make some hummus)

L: mashed potatoes mixed with green beans and homemade gravy, salad

S; green smoothie or watermelon

D: sweet potatoes with dijon mustard, raw veggies

mtns

Postby Chile » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:09 pm

The sheepdog competition sounds like something fun to watch. Another good finger food for that situation, I've found, is green beans. I like them cold after boiling as a snack. The'd go well with the sweet potatoes, too.

I once read that the body actually gets more benefit from doing an exercise you enjoy than forcing yourself to do something you don't, so have fun with the tennis!
Chile

Postby mtns » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks, Chile, we are going to eat and then leave pretty soon to go play tennis. I am excited. I was disappointed in myself last night, because I made cookies for the kids and ended up eating probably 3 of them at least. I know better. I need to make sure that I pray over my temptations. I ordered the MWlP through Barnes and Noble store and am deciding if it is worth it to buy the book. I sometimes think a plan would help me out. I have been good though staying away from the peanut butter. I do have an addiction to oatmeal. My husband thinks I am weird that I love to oatmeal as my dessert. I don't know if that is what my problem is or not. I know I need to trust the process.

I told my husband this morning that I was getting ready to have my 2nd breakfast. He said that is probably what my problem is with losing the rest of his weight. I told him that I have 1/4 c. oatmeal at 5am and then I have 1/2 c. oatmeal at 8 or 8:30am I calculated it and it was close to 300 cal. which is not bad. He said well just wait for lunch. But if I wait for lunch I am way too hungry and would totally pig out and probably end up with a headache.

E: 1 hr. weight lifting class, 30 min. jogging on treadmill, tennis later

L: hashbrowns with homemade gravy, salad, a few rice crisps

S: banana ice cream, leftover hashbrowns

D: jambalaya stew, salad

mtns

Postby mtns » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:27 pm

I bought the MWLP book today and excited to look at it and be inspired. I have been doing pretty good though. Tennis went well last night. I haven't played forever, so I was not very good. When my husband and I played we kept it going for a while and it was fun, but when I played with the kids we did a lot of chasing the ball. It was fun though. The kids had a good time playing tennis as well.

S: 1 rice cake with 1 slice soy cheese

L: snap jambalaya, salad

S: green smoothie or fruit

D: sweet potatoes, raw veggies

S: raspberry crisp( homemade)
mtns

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals