mtns journal 2011

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

mtns journal 2011

Postby mtns » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I realized my last journal said 2010. So I thought I better start a new one with a new year. I am determined to lose the rest of this weight with this journal.
I am not feeling good today. I didn't feel good yesterday, kind of achy and I have had a slight cough. I don't like being sick. I love working out. If I feel better this afternoon, I will go do a light workout. I just knew the way I felt this morning that I could not do the x-biking class.
I am still trying to get school done. I haven't taken a shower yet, but plan on at least a shower. I am trying to feed my body healthy to get rid of this junk. My daughter doesn't feel good either. We both agree when you are feeling this way you so bad want to just eat junk. I don't know why that is. It is a good thing I don't have junk food in my house.

E: hopefully will workout later today

B: hot pink breakfast smoothie

S: 1 small peice of homemade choc. cake

L: big salad, 1 small handful dates

S: apple, popcorn

D: green smoothie
mtns

Re: mtns journal 2011

Postby TominTN » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:00 pm

We both agree when you are feeling this way you so bad want to just eat junk. I don't know why that is. It is a good thing I don't have junk food in my house.

That's a great pattern to notice and good for you for having a clean house!

I think the reason I want junk when I'm feeling down is that I associate junk food with comfort. It tastes good (or at least I remember it tasting good, don't know whether it would now or not) and the idea of it feels indulgent.

As I gain more experience with McDougalling, I'm finding more foods that fit the program and also feel comforting to me. I really love microwaving a pound of frozen broccoli and topping it with crushed red pepper and/or nutritional yeast. White potatoes with a little ketchup or bbq sauce on top. Whole wheat pasta with red pepper and nutritional yeast (almost like spicy mac & cheese). Steel cut oats with a mashed banana and blueberries. Frozen cherries microwaved for 30 seconds.

What are your on-program comfort foods?
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby mtns » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I have to say that I love oatmeal. Right now I love oatmeal with sliced banana and a few walnuts and stevia. That is my all time favorite. I go through spurts with what kind of stuff I like in my oatmeal. For a while it was a few raisins and cinnamon,when strawberries come into season, I love fresh strawberries cut up in them. When peaches come into season it is peaches. I have to say oatmeal is my all time comfort food. I do love baked potatoes with bbq sauce as well. I love this way of eating. I feel so much better when I eat this way. I did make my homemade broccoli soup last night, which is definelty one of my favorites. I serve that soup to a lot of people and even kids love it. The funny thing is that it is just veggie broth, potatoes and broccoli and maybe a little onion and garlic powder.
I seem to be feeling better today. I didn't go workout yesterday, but I did go today. I am still tired and a little achy, but overall, I feel better. I do believe it is this way of eating that I am not sicker.

E: 25 min. x-biking, 20 min. zumba, 30 min. weights

B: hot pink breakfast smoothie

L: leftover broccoli soup, big salad

S: 1/2 green smoothie

D: 1/2 green smoothie, rice and beans
mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm

It was a pretty good day as far as eating yesterday. I wasn't really hungry last night for a snack. I do need to work on getting to bed earlier. I know it is late to start, but we started watching "Lost" recently and we just started season 5. We are so addicted. Sometimes it is hard to stop. So we stayed up until 11:30pm last night. I need to stop that and get to bed earlier. Not much else is going on here, just usual school.The kids are enjoying our read aloud, which is " Treasure Island". We are doing activities based on the book and then next week will have a big pirate party. It should be really fun.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

B: oatmeal with a few walnuts, stevia and 1/2 banana

S: 1/2 lara bar

L: leftover broccoli soup, 3 slices of tofu, salad, 4 tortilla chips in soup

D: 1/2 green smoothie, leftover fried rice, tofu
mtns

Postby mtns » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Well I had a good day eating for the most part. I did a science experiment with a bunch of homeschool teenagers today and other than that it was a regular school day. I talked with another homeschool mom and she feels the same way I do. It feels like by the time you get done homeschooling and making meals ect. there is no extra time to do a whole lot extra. Sometimes I just want to take a couple of days off and do whatever I want. It is hard to do that very often because I have some kids with FAS and they need the structure of things. Plus even if I took time off of school, I still can't take time off from being a mom and wife. But some days I think it would be nice.

E: 1 hr. weight class, 45 min. elliptical

B: oatmeal with the usual

L: leftover "fried" rice, tofu, 1/2 green smoothie

S: 1/2 green smoothie, popcorn

D: mexican rice and beans over salad( I am really craving the rice and bean salad from Cost Vida- I am going to see if they have the recipe for the salad dressing online, just a oil free version)
mtns

Postby mtns » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

I think I did pretty well eating yesterday. Stuck mostly to the my plan. I did have a cup of hot cocoa ( healthy version) and 1 slice of rice bread for snack last night, but still overall, I think it was a good day. Today so far has been harder. I made pancakes for breakfast for my husband's birthday today. I have a had a hard time resisting munching on the leftovers. I just need to get them off the counter. For some reason if they are out of site, I am usually okay. Anyway fun day for school, the kids are making parrots and treasure chests crafts for our study on "Treasure Island". The rest of the day is not planned. I don't know what we are doing later for my husbands birthday.

E: 1 hr. x-biking class

B: hot pink breakfast smoothie, 1/2 gluten free pancake

L: leftover fried rice, 1/2 green smoothie

D: don't know yet, we may go out to eat

S: maybe a little soy ice cream for my husbands birthday
mtns

Postby TominTN » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 pm

For some reason if they are out of site, I am usually okay.

That's my experience, too.

I hope you'll tell us about the pirate party when it happens. Sounds like you all are having a great time with the reading and crafts.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby mtns » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, I will let you know how the pirate party goes.
Yesterday, I did good up unitl dinner. We had pizza. I picked off all the stuff but still had 3 slices. Then I had soy ice cream for dessert. I think the sugar in it affected my sleep. I did not sleep well at all last night.
Plus side is today, my sister came over and colored and cut my hair. Yeah, no more grey! I got the house clean , now I am going to relax a little on the couch and plan out my menu.

E: 1 hr. zumba class

B: oatmeal with the ususual

L: weird lunch, 2 slices of rice bread with a little pb, 1/2 green smoothie

S: popcorn, 1/2 green smoothie

D: homemade fries, salad
mtns

Postby mtns » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:41 pm

I overate yesterday. So I am trying to make this a much better week. I have been so depressed and down about my weight. I keep yo-yoing up and down a couple of pounds, but never losing anything. It is so frustrating. I was doing so good before Christmas. I don't know what I am doing differntly, but I know I need to stop this cycle. The frustrating thing is that I feel like I don't eat a ton of food.
I get my blood tests back today, so I will be curious as to what they say. I will post later what they said.

E: 1 hr. elliptical

L: 1 corn tortilla, homemade fries with bbq sauce

S: green smoothie

D:Black bean burgers, big salad
mtns

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:57 am

Hi! You started a new journal...looks pretty good, except that cake ;-) oh, and ice cream? oops.

You make me really miss my homeschooling days. We read "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea" following the route of the Nautilus in a world atlas and finding out all about barrier reefs and the little teeny tiny islands in the south pacific. Fun times!

keep on going. You're doing it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby mtns » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks Heidi, I don't feel like I am doing that great. I am back up to 155lbs. I have gained 2 1/2 lbs. I don't know what is going on. I am just frustrated. I need to break my food addictions. I know that I do better eating potatoes as they are filling and low in calories. I might just go back to those for lunch and dinner. I have a problem eating them for breakfast as I like something a little sweet. But I think I might try that for a while.
I got my test results back. My cholesterol looked good. I was a little low on good cholesterol. I don't know why or how to get that number up. I will have to check on that. My thyroid was a little low,not bad the doctor I talked to said most would not treat it, because it was borderline low, but he said it was probably a good idea to go ahead and treat it. My vit. d was also low ( I was not suprised, since I don't do much outside). The funny thing was that I was worried about B12, but I was just fine on that , in fact my husband was low on his. He eats meat all the time. I don't remember the last time I ate meat. I did take some vitamins a few months ago, but haven't taken any since. But the thing that got me is that I am really low on iron. Which he said I am anemic. That would explain why I am so tired and depressed all the time. So he wants me to get on a good iron supplement. That is fine, and I will but I have heard it causes a person to be nauseous. I guess it would help me lose this weight. I just don't understand why I am so low. I eat a spinach everyday in my green smoothie and eat a lot of the foods except meat that are listed for iron. I try to eat some beans every day, but not always. I don't bleed excessivly on that time of the month, so I don't know why I am so low in iron.
I just know I want to feel better.

E: 1 hr. weight lifting class, 35 min. elliptical

B: hot pink breakfast smoothie, 1/2 lar bar

L: leftover mexi-mac pasta

D: baked veggies with homemade gravy, salad

S: popcorn if still hungry
mtns

Postby mtns » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Well I had another hard time sleeping and probably got maybe 2hrs. of sleep if that. Unfortunatly Wednesdays are my busy days so no time for a nap even though I would love one.
My husband and I went out to eat last night. He got a gift certificate to Applebees. There is nothing good on that menu whatsoever. So I just got a baked potato and a house salad. I didn't realize the salad was covered in cheese, so I took as much off as I could. I know I should have asked for a new one, but I didn't. I asked for a side of bbq sauce to go with my bake potato, but I didn't like it so I ate it plain, which was still good. My husband asked me to help him choose something to eat. I said he could eat what I had, but he didn't want that so he did choose something, it was better than he used to choose and he passed by on dessert. He found out his cholesterol was high. So he told me he needed my help in feeding him. I said I would be like Claire on the Cosby Show and tell him what he could and couldn't eat. I think if he stuck to what I fix it would help quite a bit. He loves his fat and sugar, especially sugar, so I know that is going to be a hard one for him.

E: 1 hr. x-biking

B: 1 slice of rice bread with a little pb( I was running late for my 5:30 am class)

2B: oatmeal with walnuts, 1/2 banana, stevia

L: hashbrowns with homemade gravy

D: baked potato or more hashbrowns, salad

S: hot cocoa

My friend brought a huge 50 lbs. bag of potatoes over today from a friend in Idaho. I think I will have enough potatoes for a while. I was thinking I wanted to do the MWL thing. I was looking for Dr. M's book on it at Barnes and Nobel and couldn't find it. I think I need some kind of menu plan to get me started.
mtns

Postby mtns » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:26 pm

I am kind of depressed and down today. I am tired of cleaning house and teaching school. I just really bad need a break. I want to escape. I just want to be alone and by myself without kids bugging me and without seeing this house so darn messy. I am tired of being fat and tired of not doing good with my eating.

E: 1 hr. zumba, 30 min. weights

L: 1 slice of rice bread, leftover hashbrowns with homemade gravy, small handful of chopped dates

D: tostadas, salad

S: hot cocoa
mtns

Postby mtns » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Thankyou Carroll for what you said. That meant a lot to me. I really needed to hear that. It is true about which life you want. I thought I wanted to work outside the home. But when I did it, I didn't like it and would have much rather have been home with my kids. For the most part I like being home with my kids, it is just latley that they are driving me crazy. I really need a break. My problem is that I usually don't balance things out well. I get so caught up in what I need to do that I don't take time out for myself, then I end up crashing like I am now. I remember doing this last year and I actually took a week off of school and let my older daughter homeschool and take over taking care of the kids. I still cooked as I like to cook. We did pay her well. It was nice to do what I wanted to do for a week. I felt rested and ready to go back to my regular stuff again. I spent time reading good books, going to the book store, going out to my favorite place to eat and ect. I would like to do that again, but my daughte works a lot now. I don't mean to complain, but sometimes my husband drives me crazy. I tell him, I am stressed out and need a break and I even asked him if he could take the kids to the science Saturday thing so I could have a break. He said that he had some stuff to get done. I don't ask for much, just a few hrs. to myself.
I need to look into a hobby or something I enjoy. The only thing I truly enjoy is nutrtion and healthy cooking. I wish there were some healthy cooking classes around here. If I could afford it I would love to go to one of the Mcdougall study weekends.
I have considered latley joining weight watchers. I just need to get my eating under control. I hate counting pts. and I have done it before and lost 20lbs. I quit and did things my own way, because I got tired of counting pts., but it got me started in watching how much I was eating.

E: 1 hr. step aerobics

S: 1/2 lara bar

L: veggie burger, 2 slices of ezekial bread, 1 veggie hot dog, salad

D: homemade fries, carrots
mtns

Postby mtns » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:45 pm

I have not done well this weekend with my eating. I let it get out of control. I need to get off of all sugar stuff. I have been snacking on dates and stuff with agave nectar. I do better on just fruits and stevia. Anything else messes with my system. Last night I had a hard time sleeping because I my eczema on my hands was flaring up( which hasn't in years, only when I eat sugar products) and have had yeast problems. I have been taking a sleep product to help me sleep and I think it is messing with my moods a little, so I am going to stop using it. It is hard. I didn't use it last night and will not use it again. But I need to find something that helps with my sleep on those bad nights. I have tried most anything that everyone recommends. I even tried Melatonin which does not work for me at all. Here is the bad eating I did today. I am praying to do better tomorrow. I think I will do a little weight watchers and stick to potatoes as it is filling and satisfying.

S: few animal crackers at church, some bbq chips before lunch

L: homemade veggie soup, salad, 3 slices of rice bread with a little pb and jelly

S: popcorn, green smoothie

D: oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon, a little rice chex cereal.

I told you it was bad.
mtns

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals