What we're eating: the cookbook edition

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What we're eating: the cookbook edition

Postby Gypsy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I've enjoyed reading your "what we're eating"...I'm 68 and can't imagine doing all you do for your kids...what a great mom :nod: My DD eats what I do, but not my GD. She's getting better about her choices, but I usually let her mom plan her food. They're at the local Chinesse resturant tonight...usually have rice and broccoli and GD still likes her chicken. Nobody needs to starve here as I usually have a pot of rice on and a pot of SNAP....I keep it simple because I'm not good with seasonings...usually add too much.
Gypsy

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:56 pm

i would think you could flour them and just brown them in a dry pan till they are golden. I usually do my tofu sticks in the solar oven with nutritional yeast and some spices on them and just bake them and turn them once....then they should be fine and not absorb the liquid! :D I also use a tofu xpress to press all the liquid out first....
ncyg46

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Carroll wrote:
ncyg46 wrote:i would think you could flour them and just brown them in a dry pan till they are golden...

Thanks for the suggestion, that was one of the things we tried, but the flour just doesn't stick to the tofu?!? If they had absorbed some liquid I would see that as a bonus... usually I marinate tofu or have it absorb something at least for flavor, that was part of my complaint with this recipe (besides my complete inability to get it to 'work' in any case!) was that the tofu was just tofu... not exactly a yummy flavor to me (my boys seem to love it though!)

I find that baking them works.....then you use them in a recipe and they have a flavor from what you marinate them in!!!! I think the flour in the recipe is to thicken the recipe...haven't tried that one yet!
I made a pot of fatfreevegans mexican lasagna the other day in the solar oven. I had some corn tortillas to use up and it is spicy since I bought the wrong enchilda sauce but it is tasty! That is a great site!!! :D
ncyg46

Postby StarchBeet » Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Love the creations you all make, and the pictures!

I finally got some of my pictures on flickr. Do I have to resize them before I can to put them in this message, if I upload them and try?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28585497@N ... 631038242/

:D
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 pm

debbie, that isn't its name and I forgot which recipe it was. I will look through the books (and my journal) and see if I can remember what recipe it was. That golden beet salad was really a rich treat! The fresh dill in the dressing was great. I may have added other things, since I'm sort of like carroll (don't I wish) in that I do add my own substitutes in recipes.

Not all my own. The jicama salad was tweaked a little. My favorite part of jicima is the lime/mango/cilantro (touch of agave) dressing. I found asian pears to be a good addition.

:-D
StarchBeet

Postby VeggieSue » Sat May 14, 2011 5:16 am

You've mentioned those soy curls a number of times - as BBQ, taco, even on pizza. Are you just rehydrating them in plain water or adding some flavoring either to the water or on them, afterwards, or ??

I bought a few bags and love them, after decades of tvp usage, but so far the only way I've done them is to rehydrate them in plain water then tossing them in the non-stick skillet with either loads of seasonings or some tomato or BBQ sauce. I read on the PPK forums that they really need to be either baked or fried up in something flavorful or else they just taste like slimy wet soy.

And how are you adding them to pizzas - dry and crackly or rehydrated, flavored and cooked? I'd love to use these more and still have 4 bags in the refrigerator taking up space.
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Sat May 14, 2011 2:40 pm

So you don't fry them up or bake them before adding them to sauce or dishes, only rehydrate & spice 'em up?

Thanks.
VeggieSue

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning