What we're eating: the cookbook edition

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What we're eating: the cookbook edition

Postby Vegankit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm

I rarely follow a recipe, I guess it's not in my genetic make up LOL, but I do get inspiration from them which is why I like to have a couple of cookbooks around. Sometimes you'll see me in the kitchen with a cookbook open to a recipe while I'm cooking and I sort of follow it but adjust it as I go for my taste and what produce I have in the fridge..

I know that funk, I get into it myself - and that's when I really wish I could go out to a retaurant and order a McDougal legal meal - I reallly miss having that option when I'm bereft of ideas for meals and DH and I are bored from me getting stuck in a rut. I suspect that we're not the only ones who get like this. I hope you fun with the new recipes.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:58 pm

i do alot of Jeff's Fast Food Meals from his dvd...well worth it! just a basic recipes and do your own thing with it! :D
ncyg46

Postby Potatohead » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:24 pm

I have over 50 cookbooks...let me tell you..I rarely use them...I create my own recipes based off Jeff's Snap recipes.
I made an awesome potato soup yesterday..I just finished a bowl...I tried the menu thing with the cookbooks, but I'm Simple and really hate to cook now(loved it when I was younger and kids were home)...Kids are grown and on their own..just me and my hubby...He will pretty much eat what ever I put in front of him..LOL :D
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 pm

wow, whats in the beet salad? :-)

And if you can tell me how you upload your pictures I'll try to do it too.

I love reading your food ventures!
StarchBeet

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:56 pm

which link to you use on Flickr? Since they changed their format I have been using the second code but seems like I have a lot of extra stuff to take out? Do you use the first one? :D
ncyg46

Postby LoriJenny » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi...Those chocolate overjoy balls look so good! How do you make them? :D
LoriJenny

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Carroll...on my Mac is copies the entire box and I have to go back and remove most of it. Wish it didn't copy the entire thing! I will try again.... :D
ncyg46

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:53 am

Thank you!! They look so good, maybe I will make them for an Easter treat :)
LoriJenny

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 am

okay a bit off topic but wanted to thank Carroll for the Flickr info! They have changed things on the site and it does work for me now!!! This was taken in Arizona on the way back from Las Vegas at a rest stop. Miles and miles of them! Neat!

Joshua Tree by ncyg46, on Flickr
ncyg46

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

hahah, Carroll I made that same fritata and had the same reaction. I think that is about the worst thing I've made so far. I made some brownies with too much fat substitute (the prunes) and it tasted "odd".

You're very creative and its great hearing about your food adventures.

I still have to get my flckr account back. I sure wish I knew why they closed it down. Thanks for the pictures.

Can you describe the hail to the kale recipe? I'd like to try that one, Carroll.
StarchBeet

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

mine still works....hopefully that wont close...It's where I backup my photos! :eek:
ncyg46

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Carroll- I hadn't logged into my yahoo or flickr account in a while so I don't think they'll do it if you're using it often.

I'm going to have to book mark all these tempting choices. Thanks for all your creative stuff.

I have cooked about 3 different brownie recipes...It may have been the brownies in The Quick and Easy McDougall Cookbook where I learned about the fat substitute (prune recipe) and tried it in the brownie recipe from that book. It could have been a different one though. I preferred when i just added a T of the prune mixtures because it did add nice moisture. I sort of play with recipes and I don't write them down. I need to start recording what I do because sometimes things come out so delicious. I will make some banana oatbran muffins this week. They have to be one of my favorite. I love the crunch of the oatbran.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:42 pm

OMG, thank you for giving me an idea for tomorrows lunch (my kids won't like it but I already made them sloppy Mexican casserole and mock cheese and mac). Im going to fix rice and cook my shitake mushroom and beans, maybe add some Chinese greens.

Thanks for being so inspirational!!
StarchBeet

Postby Gypsy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I've enjoyed reading your "what we're eating"...I'm 68 and can't imagine doing all you do for your kids...what a great mom :nod: My DD eats what I do, but not my GD. She's getting better about her choices, but I usually let her mom plan her food. They're at the local Chinesse resturant tonight...usually have rice and broccoli and GD still likes her chicken. Nobody needs to starve here as I usually have a pot of rice on and a pot of SNAP....I keep it simple because I'm not good with seasonings...usually add too much.
Gypsy

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:56 pm

i would think you could flour them and just brown them in a dry pan till they are golden. I usually do my tofu sticks in the solar oven with nutritional yeast and some spices on them and just bake them and turn them once....then they should be fine and not absorb the liquid! :D I also use a tofu xpress to press all the liquid out first....
ncyg46

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning