Journal to Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal to Health

Postby StarchBeet » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Money sure can be used as a weapon of mass destruction. I chose to put off treatment this last year to the point that my pancreas was being affected last week when I had an acute gallbladder attack. So I had to wait in the hospital for days until my pancreas was better before they could address the offending gallbladder and operate. Well I was the real offender. I ate 2 T of oil dressing and in an hour my gallbladder and pancreas were very angry. Every time I slipped in the past year (maybe 5 times) I knew my gallbladder had been terribly abused most of its' life.

So now I just can't even stand to consider how much those doctor/surgeon/hospital/etc. etc. etc bills will be. I could have chosen to suffer and maybe die. I'm glad I didn't do the latter.

I'm terribly saddened of the cost of those 5 days in the hospital and the surgery but I'm glad I'm choosing to eat mostly healthy and I hope we both find out how to manage our conditions and find strength and happiness.

I also had two insurance companies retro-actively cancel my policies. Once it happened the month after my daughter went to the hospital (but somehow they could cancel the month PREVIOUS). Another time it was after I called to verify coverage so the whole family could have a check-ups. So it left me paying 5 doctor visits. My family doctor just told me to please go see the Maryland State Insurance Comptroller. I think next week I will. Loopholes are written for those who have the money and power and it makes a tough life for the rest of us :( .

Best of luck to you connie :-) I want to rename you, and I apologize
Last edited by StarchBeet on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarchBeet

Postby connieg » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Finally a loss after two weeks of no movement on the scale. I've been exercising daily, which helps with anxiety.

The big relief was that I don't owe $6K. Turns out the service provider does this all the time-they take people who are out of network and then just negotiate with insurance to get some money. They said that they will not be sending me a bill (and I took names!)

Peace out...
connieg

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Connie- exercise makes life calmer and happier indeed.
It's good to hear about the finances and your medical care.

It's funny how sometimes it feels like we hit some sort of plateau then the weight just slips off. The trick is to stick to it long enough that eating for health becomes second nature. I had a sugar monster visit me yesterday :P I don't know how to tame that one yet.
StarchBeet

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals