100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 am

yes, the bars are somewhat subtle in flavor. And they differ according to what you put in them, how they are cooked, etc. The second batch was crunchy on the top and didn't taste sweet because I had gotten a passion-fruit "ice" earlier in the day and NOTHING tasted sweet after that. However my first batch of fruit oatmeal bars tasted just fine with subtle flavors though not terribly sweet. And that leads me to the Sunday corporate gathering I attended..Absolutely blew it by eating crabs. I think it will be my last time I eat them, but if things work the way Dr. Lisle says they do then I had better not find myself surrounded by 20 people all eating crabs and having them placed right in front of me. No I could not fight that temptation.
I gained the two pounds I lost, if the scale is right.

Jenny, here is one thread about the bars. I like them because I do a lot with oatmeal and they are handy snacks for the kids. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22739 . I realize I am not making things the same twice these days and sometimes I really find great concoctions and other times, for various reasons, I don't.

Someone mentioned how easy it is to gain, I think Chile, and harder to lose. A week of staying focused to go forward (like blood, sweat, and tears)and backwards steps in short order. Such is life.

Yes, exercise is part of the mcdougall plan and its part of a healthy life, no doubt. I just can't ignore that what we put into our kissers is the most important part in keeping our bodies healthy. Both are necessary so both components are integral. So now that I chose to eat those crabs (and some salads with milk, I'm sure)will the exercise help my body work through the poison I took faster? My dog appreciated the walk this morning. My legs are happy for it too. I don't know if I'd consider my slow progress as melting, maybe its closer to evaporation. Very slow changes and slow evaporation. When I was 30 it melted. I have the extra challenge of having two back surgeries but walking everyday would help weight go faster, that is for certain.
StarchBeet

Postby carollynne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 pm

HI to all Oh Starchbeet, I feel for you with the surgeries, it does take a while to recoup and feel like yourself after the easiest surgery, But the back, wow!

Well I was really tempted today, as I was baking one of those chicken breaded fillets in the oven for DH, the greasiness was calling my mom so loudly. I could hardly stand it! But somehow I did not cave in... what a miracle, then the wrapped the leftovers quick so I would not have to smell it. I know that in my mind, it just smells better that it could possibly taste too. Jeez.
but today I succeeded nicely. the wii, did some yoga and then step aerobics, basic and adv, and then the hula hoop!! the water aerobics class, and plenty of exercise in back yard, hanging up laundry, garden work, and then when DH came home we trimmed up some small trees and so on!
A good day, but I was feeling sort of famished and so I decided to have some almond milk, unsweetened, and it made me feel a lot better.
Made rice again, in the cooker, and it was too soggy, I must need less water in that thing.....
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Hello...reading along while I eat my dinner. Dinner is a beautiful salad with greens and herbs from the Farmer's Market, corn on the cob, with just a pinch of salt, and strawberries. Yum! Our food is beautiful, colorful, and fragrant. :)
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:11 am

Hi all I'm here just working right now and no access to a computer.....Doing good but not losing weight per say. I just need to maintain weight loss and I will be happy (for a while). I am pretty sure MWL or Mary's mini is the only way to go back to a significant drop in the scale. Just need to muster up the courage and commitment to it.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I had a good day :) I ate on plan and did some exercise, I feel good for it, what I really like is how relaxed I feel tonight, that is a wonderful feeling, I hope it means I will sleep well! I need to get a little wagon for the farmer's market...maybe I'll look on ebay. Hope everyone is having a peaceful evening!!
LoriJenny

Postby carollynne » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi all, had a great day, I am really switching to this forum instead of my own journal I think, this is more fun !!
What a nice few days,k it has been so coolish and even colder than is typical for June here, and I can work outside more in the am. digging up weeds. moving some stuff, and watering my garden and veggies. I can pick some radishes, some arugula and spring mix lettuce and chomp away. Oh, and some baby collards too.
I had my usual steel cut oats for Bf adn for lunch met a friend wiht her 2 grands and son, and had a nice garden salad, with only lemon and vinegar on it. they do think I am nuts, but also they know and understand why I am doing this too. My health.
My bp is high in the am before I take my pill, and I just hope that I can lose more wt and keep it going down. That is my real concern.
For dinner I fixed DH his taco salad, with romaine, and grated cheese, and toms, but I had only some nicely cooked up kale with toms and a dressing from Dr Essy's son, and honestly I liked it. I cooked the kale in some water and lemon juice first, and thought it was too lemony and acid tasting... so had my fresh corn cooking up, so I used some of that water to sweeten the kale and it worked too.
then I also had some of the wonderful potatoes flavored with taco spices, and the corn... it was all good.
love this way of eating. I will have no trouble staying on this WOE all I have to do is look at the over abundance of ppl and their guts showing and really I am done!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Christine in Cali » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Lori and Carollynne.....you two are kickin butt! Cookin and eatin good healthy food. Carollynne can I come and live with you? What you cook sounds so good and healthy. I bet both of you have the nicest looking skin right now.

I for some reason am all bloated out....it has been a bit hot here and since I've been back from SoCal, I have not been able to get back into my hiking as much. I started a new job that takes 12 hours of my day....10 on and only 2 off and then I have to run and do errands for my 91 LOM during that time.....I told the new job that it was too stressful for me and that I was not going to take the job.....I'm such a moron, cause I really, really need this job. Plus I think I am a good fit for the family and the woman I take care of. Yesterday we had a mishaps in the bathroom and I won't go into great detail but it was gross. Besides all that I feel I am a caring person that can make a difference in this woman life. I don't get paid a lot and the hours are long with no benefits but at least it is a regular job and money coming in I will talk to them again tomorrow.....Anyhoo the diet hasn't been the best as far as fresh goes, so that is why I am feeling HUGE, but I am maintaining my weight loss just not going down.

OMGatto tonight I had to fix some Mac and Cheese for these 2 kids that came over ( how sad it was to feed children that crap ) but I decided to taste it, just a noodle......can you say GROSS, I can't believe I used to eat that stuff with ketchup to boot. I did make a lovely salad from all fresh picked lettuces from their small garden, they all liked that, and I had that for dinner. The father of the children is going through a nasty divorce, and what a good looking man he was with very sweet and polite children....LOL Hello Daddy!

K night all.... keep up the good work

C out
Last edited by Christine in Cali on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby Christine in Cali » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:59 am

down a mere 2 oz, but hey at least it is down....tomorrow maybe a different story though.

It's my sisters B-day this weekend and we are going to stay at these rustic cabins we really like up north in a small town called Philo...good thing Lori (my sister) is on this WOE with me. I will be going up on Friday and get the place to myself for a night, so I will do some cooking and food prep. She wants Strawberry Short Cake and some how I have to figure out how to make the cake part vegan. Any suggestions on biscuits or cakes that are vegan?
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby carollynne » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Dear christy, you are a very caring person.
I have been doing great for over a week, and love this way of feeling. Today I did the wii for 25 min, getting better and stronger at that too. then had to go and mail my DS's amazon's stuff out, since he is now working 10-12 hr days, and he even said, mom-- you are a life saver right now. Some items were late getting out and he is really tired, from his new fork lift training stuff. has a 2 yr degree now in accounting, but no internship showed up, so he is just thrilled to be at this new plant, the best conditions he has ever seen before.
any way, I am the same today,181.8 again, but I did really eat a lot yesterday, I was just so hungry, and I had some whole wheat bread too. with butter, and here I have really sworn off that slime...
today then I was just not hungry, but ate my stell cut oats finally for lunch with blueberries.
I love this cabin in the woods concept. Love it!! You have a good time and relax and enjoy with your sister. so nice she is on the same WOE... MY one sister who is the oldest of us 5 siblings is on WW and always talking bout her points, and carbs, and proteins, etc. I have seen a few great recipes for vegan cake in Dr Essy's book, but I have not tried them out. I never thgt vegan cakes were very good. but the strawberries, that is great! they mentions just to use the usual egg replacers, but they never seem to really hold the cake tog........ not that we care, right? They have one that is a choc red velvet cake for a grandchild birthday's cake. Oh, the McD newsletters have a birthday cake recipe too.
Making up some more of the spicy tomatoe soup, and it is the best.... I do have some couscous , but who needs it, with the brown Jasmine rice...
OH, I went and bought more plants today, like I really need them, but since it is so cool and rainy off and on, I did. then I really worked hard and was dripping wet with sweat getting these organized on one side of the house and so on. then I did transplant some of the niger grass that i have so that is can be seen, and it is in better soil, and shade like it should be... I bought one clematis, candida, which blooms later and looks so nice for a spot where I got rid of a climbing rose that always had bugs and rot... enuff of that. the clematis should do great, full sun, nice big trellis there etc. ... then I really splurged and got 9 more of the lovely low growing and mounding, liriope, muscari variegated, to finish off the row of them all spaced out in front. DH will be surprised and happy to do some of this work... I know. He was just saying that the front looked unbalance,so I decided yes indeedy, it was time to rip out a few of small things that look so seedy, and put the rest in the liriope......
So after all this work, plus walked the dog a good long bit at the park, I should see a drop in wt tomorrow!
I am feeling so much better,but my HBP is not going anywhere yet.... so I will continue to try to work on my health, to get it under control, and maybe get off the pills....

God Peace and love to all who read this. Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!!
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi! I have had a really good few days eating wise. I got through 3 events...a staff meeting where only desserts were served (and I was sooo hungry too), and then I was with a group of friends and there was dessert served (brownies) and I didn't have any. In that case, everyone noticed and asked if I was on a diet , and one of my friends said she noticed I had lost weight :). Anyway, I told them a little about my vegan diet, and they asked "but where do you get your protein?" LOL...typical question!!! Then the third temptation was today. I got so so hungry at work today, I guess I just didn't bring myself enough food, then I needed to shop at Costco on the way home and I was feeling almost lightheaded and I was tempted to get a slice of pizza or something from the food court, but I didn't. I came home and had a whole wheat pita with beans and vegies. My feet hurt today :( a lot. I think I'm gonna lay off the exercising today and give my little feet a break!
Christine...your weekend at the cabin sounds so wonderful! It's so nice that your sister is doing this too! I hope it is just a wonderful and relaxing getaway, cause it sounds like you work really really hard all week!!! So, did you decide to take that new job??
Carollynne...you are doing soooo great! I agree with Christine...all the food you make sounds so so good! I have had some trouble with high bp too...I think it will naturally go away as we lose the weight. Hey, all that gardening sounds so wonderful!!
Hope everyone has a peaceful evening!!!
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

It's really nice that we have this discussion board to post on :) Thanks Dr. McDougall!!!
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Yeah Thanks Dr. McDougall your a life saver........literally!!

I am soooo pooped I can't see straight. I told the new job that I could handle the job after all. We'll see if they hire me. I got paid today, with $40.00 extra. I went into whole foods tonight and was trying to find a cake I could make or biscuits...anything besides the $25.00 teeny weeny Vegan cake they have. I did find some rice whoopin' cream though. I may just make some strawberry's mixed with Tapioca.....I want to give the world to my sister but I just don't have the moola at this time. When I am more flush I will make it up to her.

Ok time to go to the land of Nod......you all are inspiring.

C
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby Christine in Cali » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:03 am

theveganstoner.com

Check out this cute web site......it has some great and easy recipes although not all MWL friendly, many are, like the Mango Quinoa Salad
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby carollynne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:18 pm

HI to all, today was a busy day for me. But I went to a nearby post office for DS's amazon's stuff to mail out, and then met up with a friend to walk a bit in the state park right there next o her house practically..... I had Maxie with me too, so it was great to walk by the stream, and behind it to. back and forth on a gravely path. I wore my good hiking boots so my ankle felt great.
then I made it to my water class and that felt so good. then drove to a not too far town to get more brown jasmine rice, and bought some for my youngest son who just moved to Atlanta too. He is vegan, who got the whole thing started in my house! So I went back to this little nearby dinky post office where I found out that it was $7 cheaper to mail all I had in a med flat rate, then to use my own box, so I did that.
Chris, Ds in Alt has not found a job yet, but it may happen any day now too, his brother helped him out a bit so maybe that will pan out for him. there is an opening where the other one work, altho one is an Engineer and the other has a degree in journalism. Hard to get a start these days. college degrees are a dime a dozen it seems too.
Ao anyway. nice day here, just did not do the wii yet.
I finally had my steel cut oats for lunch,since I ran around all morning, on only a few bites of it. then I take a few boiled potatoes with me on the road, and some celery.
so lunch and Bf were the same.
Now for dinner, I have had some watermelon, some fruit with lemon and lime juice with vanilla, all smashed and frozen together, and Dr Essy's fruits ice cream, and it is de-lish. perhaps too much fructose all at once, but food and it keeps the monsters down for me...
For diner I have not palnned a thing as of yet. I feel like popping in a frozen pizza for DH, but then I might be very tempted to eat a slice too.
I just think I have the blahs today. and need to snap out of it too.
It is a beautiful day here, and the storm last night was good for all the rain.
I find a few more hidden pieces of niger grass , so I moved that to the side of the house that I have been rearranging all the small stuff I have there, all perennials many of it from friends. Hostas, liriopes, and one nandeana bush, sorry cannot spell it for anythings. This is my shade garden, and hopefully it will all turn out ok. I am about done with the small bedding plants that are annuals. I sit on a bucket it as it is, to plant, or have to bend at waist only.
To all a good night then, have a good day and evening to everyone!!
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 pm

I did well today and resisted temptation once more...nearly ready to change my ticker...tomorrow maybe? Anyway, I am still tempted, Dr. Essy said it would take 12 weeks for that to go away, so I am waiting and having faith that it will be so. I am having so much pain in my feet and ankles...not sure if it is arthritis or what...it feels better when I put them in cool water. I am tired of the pain!! I did go to the gym today and did some running on the treadmill. I am on my feet alot...probably about 4 hours a day at work, standing and walking, and then the gym, and housework and walking the dog...no wonder my feet hurt I guess. But it does seem like they hurt too much as if something is wrong. :( Sorry...I needed to whine about it a little...I have not told my family about this pain I've been in for about a year now. I wonder if it is related to diet soda? I keep giving it up and then going back to it...I probably need to give that more of a chance.
LoriJenny

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals