100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Postby LoriJenny » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:06 am

Hi everyone!! We are going to do a "No Stray" Challenge to stay on the McDougall plan for 100 Days until the beginning of summer. We can post our food and exercise here and support each other. :) We can do this!! Anyone else want to join in? Today is day #1!!!
LoriJenny

Re: 100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Postby frozenveg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:13 am

Hey LoriJenny! I think I want to do this challenge! I do have a history of not joining challenges, as the very word defeats me, but I want to be a rebel, so I'm trying this. Count me in!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby circle city vegan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:13 am

I'll give it a go. I am on track so far at 8am. I had a yam and pineapple chunks for breakfast along with a few baby carrots popped in while making lunches. I am short and have to keep to Mary's Mini with no added sugar or salt and watching fruit/beans closely to see any progress at all.

I've been re-reading the MWL book and I think I skipped the exercise section the first go around. The good doctor suggests exercising to burn at least 300 calories per session at a slower rather than faster pace. This morning I was on the treadmill for 50 minutes and burned (according to the read out?) 350 cal.

I hope keeping to this more strictly will help with some body image issues that I've been struggling with. Today I weighed in at 127, which is 7 up from my low and 12 away from goal. I look great but still feel fat because I haven't reached goal yet. For goodness sake, I'm wearing a size 4! You'd think I'd feel great about my body, but I don't.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby LoriJenny » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Frozenveg and Circle city veg!!! Here was my day #1:

B: Rice cakes/peanut butter
L: Rice/beans/vegies
S: Vegies/rice cakes
s: Rice cakes/pistachio nuts
D: Split pea soup
Ex: Well, getting down to the final days before the wedding, worked all day then ran errands...I'm exhausted!!!
Frozenveg...I'm glad you are rebelling with us :) and Circlecity...wow a size 4!!!! My goodness that is so wonderful! I'm so excited about being a size 12 right now! :) I'd write more but I'm so tired tonight!
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 pm

whoo hoo catchy title....

Today was Mexican food Monday.

1 cup organic coffee blk

good earth tea

B/L: Bean and rice burrito with lettuce and hot sauce...so hungry ran out of house un-prepared.

D: bowl of beans with hot sauce and green salad with my own ff honey mustard dressing. Lot of water.
piece of toast with strawberry ns added jam

The 91 LOM I work for loves to go out and eat and of course I am the one that was making it difficult. I told them to go to the resturant they like and I will just have to make it work. Well, it was my favorite place when I ate SAD. Great fried chips, refriend beans with lard.. lard even in the rice.... sopapilla. The waiter was less then accomodating and suggested I go eat at whole foods....payaso! I got through it, beans where really salty tho
Conrad kept offering me his meat tacos or chips and I just kept saying no thank you...he doesn't understand the no meat no fat idea. I even sat there and watched him eat a huge bolw of ice cream. None for me, Thanks

C out

Oh no exercise today...tomorrow off so I will go hiking. I alway lose weight when I go for a hike
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby frozenveg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 am

OK, so Monday for me was
Teas: 1 cup Bonkers Chai, 1 cup Wild Sweet Orange, 1 cup Good Earth caffeine-free classic
B: oatmeal & frozen mixed fruit,
lunch: 2 potatoes, frozen peas & carrots, in canned tomatoes, plus raw carrots, celery & cabbage.
Snack: orange
Dinner ended up being cherry tomatoes in the car and an apple when I got home, because DD had to work overtime & I had to go to the store, we ended up getting home 1/2 hour before bedtime.

No exercise yesterday, but this morning I did 25 minutes of Wii Fit. I'm proud of myself because, along with the other stuff, I did two "long" (4 m.) runs back-to-back, not stopping, to give me 9 minutes of running--probably a first for me since I was, oh 7 years old!!!

Menu for today: Teas: 1 cup Bonkers Chai, 1 cup Wild Sweet Orange, 1 cup Good Earth caffeine-free classic
B: Oatmeal & Frz mixed fruit, 1 slice spent bread (from Flying Squirrel restaurant in Talkeetna)(Not MWL, but so good!)
Lunch: 3 potatoes, frz corn, peas, carrots in canned tomatoes, raw carrots, celery & cabbage
Snack: orange
Dinner: Edited to what I really ate: brown rice and corn--quite a bit of corn, and a little rice--all I had left in the bowl. I didn't get to eat lunch till after 2:30, when I ate the cold veggies, and then after 4 pm, when I ate the cooked vegs, so I just had that little bit for dinner. Going to bed now--I hate DST in Alaska...
Last edited by frozenveg on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby circle city vegan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 am

I resisted the oils yesterday! I love mexican food and my husband bought tortilla chips and guaq. I was able to eat some potatoes and stay away. It is so hard to avoid oils! This is about my last challenge with the food. Oil is sneaked in to so much.

I ate well yesterday: yams, pineapple, potatoes, carrots, snap peas.

Today for breakfast is 2 cups cooked oats, 1/2 diced apple, 1tsp brown sugar. I'm going to make brown rice today for the rest along with the green/yellows. I have a head of cauliflower that needs to be cooked. I'm a simple eater.

I'm staying away from salt. I had been letting that go and it's causing gain on the scale. I added some crushed red pepper onto the potatoes yesterday and I liked it, so I found a salt free option for a little while at least. I've been putting salsa or taco sauce on them and they are high in salt.

I was at the gym yesterday twice and that sounds worse than it was. I used the second trip to hang out in the sauna while my 4yr old played in the child care room. The gym was crowded at 9:30 in the morning. So many people are unemployed, I've never seen the gym that crowded in late morning like that. Today I was at the gym and did the same as yesterday, keeping the intensity low but staying long enough to burn 300 cal.

For all my efforts yesterday, the scale read 125 this morning. I feel better about that number. 127 says "uh oh, you're about to regain all your weight and be back where you started".

Here's to a fantastic day 2!
[/url]

circle city vegan

Postby chaboochi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 am

I would love to join your challenge! The more accountability I have the better I'll do. I'll write more later but for now gotta get ready for work...

Yesterdays meals

B: Oatmeal 1/2 banana, strawberries
L: Salad with balsamic vinegar, 4 new red potatoes
S: Apple
D: Pinto beans, brown rice, tomatoe, salsa, red onion, one corn tortilla (not on MWL but I allow myself one or two per week)

Today

B: Oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries
L: Salad/potatoes
D: ? will fill in later :-D
chaboochi

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:21 pm

If I commit to just writing my meals in this forum, take 10 minutes and no excuses I could be fit by summer.

Monday 3/14/11
B: 1 bagel; 1 c oatmeal with flaxseed, 1 T of agave
snack: orange
L: bowls chinese greens soup 1 c rice
snack: small banana and berries
D:2 bowls brown rice with chickpeas, potatoes and spinach curried

My treadmill belt is sliding off to one side and I can't fix it. I've loosened, adjusted and re-tightened it but it just keeps sliding over. I am upset. I need to walk because I'm stressed. I guess I need to pull out the adult stroller and walk my handicapped daughter. No excuses.
StarchBeet

Postby Eppy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Somehow I missed this yesterday as I started my own 100 day challenge. I'll start today with you.

b-Steel cut oats with banana and cinnamon
L-Left over rice from last night and steamed broccoli
D-Spargel creme suppe (for you non Germans, it's white asparagas soup, veganized and made fat free).
S-Grain coffee with a bit of non dairy creamer and a bit of
honeyx2
2 Bananas
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFBm7ww/]
[/url]
Eppy

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm so impressed with how well everyone is doing :) We will be fit by summer!!! I realized that I am not going to be able to post anything for about 3 days. My mom and dad are coming to stay for my son's wedding, which is on Thursday, and they are staying until Saturday, they are sleeping in my computer room...so.... no computer for me for a few days! So...please forgive me for not being able to post for a few days...I will be back on Saturday!!! Maybe I will just write down my food and then post it all on Sat. Here's today:
B: Rice cakes/pb
S: Vegies
L: 3 Bean Chili (YUMMMMM)
S: Rice Cakes
D: Anderson's Pea Soup
Ex: Walked dog for 40 minutes

Some of you are mentioning tea that you drink...I think I"m gonna try to drink more tea, it's such a nice soothing drink and I think it makes me feel like I'm eating something, when really there are no calories there.
Well, if I'm able to get in some computer time, I will!! If not, I will be back on Saturday, by then I will have a new daughter in law :D
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Lori....we'll miss you! Have fun at the wedding....Are they going to have a cake and all? How will you resist?

I really like this tea called Good Earth, it is naturally sweet and can be made for iced tea as well, very cinnamon-y.. oh and no caffeine. You can buy it at Safeway

B: Coffee blk
fresh pineapple, golden raspberries
1 potato fixed home fry with red bell pepper and onion, organic ketchup and hot sauce tiny bit of sea salt

S: 1 piece of sprouted cin rasin bread with ns added jam

L: Wht bean and kale soup with homemade whole wheat sourdough croutons

S: small bowl of Kashi Strawberry Fields with oat milk

D: Salad with hm croutons and ff mango dressing
3 bean chili

little water not much and it is raining cats and dogs so did not exercise Yet.....may still do some fluidity bar
Last edited by Christine in Cali on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Congrats Lori!! I hope the wedding is delightful

Tuesday's Food

B: 1 orange
Snack: 1/2 c blackberries
Lunch: 2 large bowls Chinese greens soup
Salad 2 mini cucumbers, 5 baby bok choy with lemon, garlic, rice vinegar dressing
Snack: 1 c blackberries, 4 rice crackers
D: large bowl of brown rice with garbanzo potatoes and spinach stew
StarchBeet

Postby frozenveg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Christine in Cali wrote:Lori....we'll miss you! Have fun at the wedding....Are they going to have a cake and all? How will you resist?

I really like this tea called Good Earth, it is naturally sweet and can be made for iced tea as well, very cinnamon-y.. oh and no caffeine. You can buy it at Safeway

Christine--I LOVE Good Earth caffeine-free tea! It really needs no sweetener, and is just perfect hot or cold.

And Lori--have a wonderful time, and we'll see you when you're back! Have a great celebration!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby circle city vegan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 am

The Good Earth tea is so good! When I make a pot the whole family lines up for a cup. It's called Sweet and Spicy.

I ate oatmeal and pineapple for breakfast. 1 tsp brown sugar.

Brown rice, cauliflower, baby carrots, sugar snap peas in the middle of the day.

Around 4, I had an enormous yam, plain.

I was up at 1am explaining to the almost 3yr old that he couldn't have milk. He's starting a habit of getting up at the same exact time every night hodging down 12oz of (soy)milk. This is not good for my sleep, so I spent a half hour listening to him cry about it. Needless to say when the alarm went off at 4, I didn't go to the gym. So tired. I might try to get over to the gym after the older kids get off to school.

scale reads 126 this morning.
[/url]

circle city vegan

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals