Optimal Health Journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Optimal Health Journey

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 pm

It's really fun being able to pull meals together in a creative way. I love doing this. I am not keeping things "simple" yet. I need to learn to keep it simple...(blah, blah, blah:same old story).

So this morning my simple plan was potatoes. Then I realized I hadn't had curried potatoes and peas in ages. So I started the onions, garlic, curry leaves and spices that had been browned in an iron skillet. Then I realized I had spinach, chinese mushrooms and asparagus. What a curry! Curry fit for a king and an army!

Curried potatoes, onions, garlic, peas, spinach, chinese mushrooms and asparagus.

Maybe by December I'll be happy with simple. I have done some simple things. A few weeks ago I had rice cooking and a bag of broccoli. I almost forgot about the bag. Then I put on the steamer and had steamed broccoli and rice all day.

I'm enjoying the fresh bounty of summer. I love this time of year. I've had apple cider with fresh nutmeg, cinnamon and sliced oranges. Fresh pears and persimmons.

AND......... Costco had frozen CHERRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been waiting for frozen cherries since last winter! I bought 6 bags to last a year (I hope!!)

So my focus on love of food is an obsession and someday I may deal with it. But if not what a way to go!
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 pm

So keeping myself together while things around me are so challenging just isn't easy.

My daughter started yesterday with seizures (she'd gone a long while without many). She had been having a BM for almost every day for two weeks. YOU DON"T KNOW HOW MAJOR THIS IS!!! We are talking about someone that could go a week and half many times in her life. So I know this lifestyle is improving her seizure threshold. Then there's severe set-back. All day Sunday and all night Sunday. She's totally out of wack. This medicine side-effects are really starting to become something I hate.

So on Sunday my head starts feeling pressure for so many possible reasons (the one I feel strongest about that's under my control is that I feel heavier and over-burdend with this weight)but there was not enough sleep, and various other stressors including a cloudy day. And my daughter was up all night with her "aura" behavior.

And last night I see fresh blood on the kitchen floor and I don't know where my dog was bleeding from. Was it a bad tooth? He's 15 now and of course I worry. I fear his gut has a problem or cancer or something. He's one amazing creature. He still looks beautiful as always.

Then there is my friend that has had heart surgery 4 years ago. She's 25 pounds heavier. She has had terrible lethargy for a month. She occasionally adds a severe head ache to the list. I worry for her. I explain my worry. I ask if she's had a stress test. She tries to beat around the subject. I tell her that I fear that her signs of health could mean she's in serious territory. I don't want to lose my friend. I don't want to lose my dog either. I will inevitably lose both someday.

I stuff myself wanting to feel better. This overeating isn't doing much but temporarily relieving my sense of helplessness. Sometimes life feels scary, over-whelming and sad. Eating too much won't change that and its making me unhappy too.

I try to care for everyone and myself as best that I can. I can do better but its a challenge knowing when to just sit and let life flow.

These challenges have made me get behind for Thanksgiving planning and other things I planned on doing. I will just adjust.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:34 pm

I ran across a Dr Gregor video today: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-bes ... serotonin/

I didn't say how DELICIOUS Hubbard squash seeds are when roasted when I tried some last week for the first time. I cooked stuffed hubbard for Thanksgiving.

So now that I realize I've been ignoring butternut squash seeds, I can't believe I have been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to roast them and try them.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 am

I made a journal note in a new topic instead of "reply".

I've been enjoying reading information people share here since I have so much to learn yet. I should personally thank everyone.

Over-all life is good. I'm sleeping better and exercising regularly. These are important to work into a healthy lifestyle. Stress control is probably my weakest skill. I was doing yoga and hope to reincorporate that too.

I am happy that I still have my Labrador retriever dog, who will be 16 this year. Every day is special with him. He did his "run around the yard like a happy puppy" last week. His leg is weak and his teeth are bad. We love him very much.

Today I'll make some asian soup with greens, daikon, mushroom, etc and add noodles.

This weekend I'll make the furhman chocolate cake that has so many grated vegetables in it.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-joel- ... olate-cake
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm getting excited because of the weather and because of the awareness I'm working on regarding feelings, life, food and everything.

I've been enjoying creating good meals with what ever food I have around but I am wondering about journaling. Do I want to write what I eat as a planned meal before I eat, in this journal, or do I want to record what I really eat later on? I want to keep track but not sure which. I'll try checking in the morning to see if I can get some ideas percolating and then writing what really happened quickly at night.

I've felt happy about getting outside to walk and walking inside on the treadmill. I have been walking most days, but sometimes I miss a day. I haven't been pushing it in the last 5 days though. I was making steady progress in the past month. I enjoy that I usually work off 300 or more calories each time I walk. I think that will make the difference to start seeing some pounds come off.

I really enjoy seeing Spring finally trying to break through. It's been terribly cold (40's) then today it was 75. Even the bees on the cherry blossoms were running around like mad. Some were pushing others off like there wasn't enough or enough time. We enjoyed walking around, though it was leisurely, looking at the blossoms on things like quince, Japanese apricot and plums, star and swamp magnolias, bulbs of all sorts and even witch hazels.

Except for the desire to make that furhman cake, which by the way was super fantastic, I've been doing well with a lot of greens and soups. I do not know what it is with keeping close track of my weight but it makes my head pop, sometimes.

Right now I want to try to keep track of what Im eating, but I see when I have things going on then the food focus is less intense. I was really happy to deal with some sugar craving (probably set off by that cake I had this weekend) a couple hours ago. I noticed my anxious desire to eat some candy or something really sugary. I acknowledged the feeling, even thought about what there was to eat. I passed down my sweet compulsion to my youngest and he finished off the cake this weekend, so I had nothing anyway, but I told myself that I'd get something later. It was neat watching the desire cool down and fade away. I went out came back and had a bowl of rice and Asian vegetables and some peaches. Maybe I want some more fruit. I'll have to get some on Wednesday.

I also want to believe that my total focus with food is because I really want to get this right and by totally immersing myself I am making sure that I figure out how to stay eating the best possible foods until I die. I'm still working on what that looks like and I guess I'm slow...I wish I were not slow and I wish life was not so challenging but that's what I have to learn to deal with. I mean I really wish I was at my goal weight, enjoying many physical activities and staying strong, stretching and balancing life better. I might even find a way to incorporate this way of life into some business. I spent a lot of time thinking about that, too, but not enough to make it happen still. That part is so old. I want things to happen faster and life is conspiring to make it less fast. I think this is why I pushed more on the physical aspect. I want some physical strength and it will take consistent steady work.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:44 am

Today we've eaten:
Oatmeal with flax, chia, banana, apple, soy milk and t. sugar

We took a walk and heard and saw a toehee, hawk, wren, flycatcher and the usual geese, cardinals, robin. We also saw frogs, fish, turtles, and the cherry trees are in full bore bloom.

for lunch :
rice topped with vegetables (daikon, Kohlrabi, nappa, onions, garlic) in miso broth and left over oatmeal.

I'm watching a McDougall presentation on maximum weight loss.

One particular of my situation has been the set point...since my two back operations I do believe my physiology is slower. I am not able to move in the hyper fashion I think I have most of my life. Is that a cop out or is it simply that I'm not eating small enough of the acceptable foods that are higher in caloric density? I dunno. I think my weight would have come down faster if I hadn't herniated my back but I am therefore trying to make more muscle so I can digest the acceptable food I eat.

So I need to be clear about what I am eating. I will have faith that if I eat purely acceptable food then the body should become less loaded with fat.

Wow, it just occurred to me that yesterday would have been about the time my normal cycle would have made me want to eat something sweet or chocolaty. I settled on peaches but I had forgotten that "normal" craving time. I still haven't read the McDougall book on womens issues.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 pm

My mantra for the foreseeable future is going to be :

Eat Slow

Graze

I started to get a headache and ate some rice and soup and next thing I realized I felt way full. I also was short on water and drank two large containers. I was trying to soothe myself since I felt a migraine coming on. The ideas of "slow down and graze" has to be my focus.

I'll give myself 30 minutes to let the headache pass and if it's not gone then I'll take some migraine meds.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 am

I went to bed wanting to get one more bowl full of rice but I had cooked the last of it and ate it when it was freshly cooked. I had a sweet potato instead.

I woke up and wanted to eat but went to a new costco, which opened at 8 am. The news stations were all over and so were all the managers...and they stood right in the isles, :eek: . I was thinking about how they just occupied that space like shoppers weren't there. Wow, I found baby kale for the first time at Costco. I was happy.

So I watched myself taste a croissant and did nothing about it. I even tasted a cookie. I also had cucumbers and juice with no added sugar. I came back home, ate an orange and drank some water. And, I ate a slice of apple and carrot salad today. I still haven't started the potatoes or rice.

Last week and for most of the previous month we've had 40 degree temps. It is going to be 90 today. I can't believe it. I don't even know where my shorts are. So, I'm taking a bike ride today, but if I don't boil those potatoes I'll be in trouble by the evening. I could steam some broccoli and veggies too.

Oh, I remember I was going to make some pasta salad with asparagus, cucumbers, peppers and kale. My daughter had a seizure and I forgot to work on the pasta salad. I'm going to look for options and be ready for evening and get some lunch going.

I got as far as the pasta. Now I have to cut and make the salad, but I had to run out and made it to the NCR for a ride. On the last three miles of 18 miles my bottom was so sore. Got back home at 10:30 pm. Wow it was a long day. I had bean soup after the ride.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 am

Today I really didn't want to get out of bed but I'm just a little sore in hamstrings and my glutes.

I've had a glass of water and an orange and I'm about to get some oatmeal.

I have to put together a pasta salad and fruit salad. I really want to go see the sakura. I still can't believe I caught my cousin on the weather news broadcast since the weather person was down at the cherry blossoms and spoke to a couple people. They looked so beautiful. If I went now there'd be no parking and I'd never get to the pasta and fruit. Too bad I will miss their peak beauty.

Eat slow and graze!

I cleaned the kitchen, chopped the cucumbers, onion, broccoli, celery,red peppers (forgot the asparagus :eek: ) and blended tofu, mustard, rice vinegar, marin, garlic and zucchini relish for the dressing and put together the pasta salad. And I chopped the pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, apple, and melon for the fruit salad. I finished it!! I felt like I'd never get it done today.

So I ate 2 bowls of fruit and pasta salad for lunch and dinner. I loved the crunchy salad.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 am

Breakfast was bowl of fruit.

I then cooked Calypso Pepper Pot, since the fresh pineapple wasn't that sweet.

I also boiled turnips, cauliflower and potatoes. I couldn't wait to cook the mushroom gravy before I ate it. I ate two bowls for lunch without the gravy. I don't know if I'll have enough potatoes to top with gravy by the time I cook the mushroom.

I want to steam some kale, spinach, and green peppers later also.

I walked 30 minutes yesterday, which was partially because of time, but also because those 18 miles the day before.

I had eaten one bowl of potatoes, etc (I named it the Three King Mash) before I told myself to slow down. I see why I'd do better with structure. I need to say "at X time" I will sit down for "X" length of time to nourish myself.
StarchBeet

Postby Chile » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:33 pm

StarchBeet wrote:The news stations were all over and so were all the managers...and they stood right in the isles, :eek: . I was thinking about how they just occupied that space like shoppers weren't there.

I no longer bother to try to be polite in response to such inconsiderate behavior. I simply approach with my cart and say, loudly, "Excuse me! Trying to shop here!" With a big smile, of course. They usually move. :D
Chile

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks Chile, being assertive with a smile is always the best policy.

Yesterday was a great day since I ate slow and ate small portions. Today I'm tired, headache (due to being tired, rain front and tree pollen?) is trying to send me to lie down and I've eaten too fast today.

Breakfast: oatmeal, flax and berries
1 rice cracker
Lunch: potatoes,boiled and rice
cucumbers,radish and rice
snack(?) more rice

1 hour walk
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 pm

I've had a rough week and failed at taking proper care of myself.

I was informed that my friend that helps me out and I help out has a mass on her lung and she'll be operated on Monday. I had to read the stupid internet which indicates that most masses in your lungs are cancerous. So emotionally I'm exhausted, fragile and creating all sorts of negative scenarios.

So I imagine the next few weeks could be very challenging on many levels. My old dog is on the way out and my friend is having serious challenges. Where am I during this? Right now I'm just hoping to get on the treadmill but I am fighting it. I finally cooked, this morning, the breakfast I've been wanting to fix all week. It was good, with great baby kale and three types of mushrooms sauted and put over browned hashed potatoes. I am thinking a slow walk would be doable. I would love to walk in gardens.

I think time has come where simplicity is necessary. I'll have rice and steamed vegies and salads at hand daily. I want to make some asian soup too. I will cut up the veggies for the soup today.
StarchBeet

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals