A new day for me!! Carollynne's journey to get healthy

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A new day for me!! Carollynne's journey to get healthy

Postby carollynne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:58 am

Hey I got on my wii again, and it had been 36b days since. But till Ds gets a new car, I am doing my wii, and doing to gym later on in evening when the weather permits. It has been a lot of rain thunder and it is not letting up here either.
love that wii avatar too. She says that I weigh in at 173 and that is still overwt!! yes I need to weigh only 145! I did my 10 min on it, the basic and adv step and basic hulu-hoop.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 pm

well I made that soup from fatfreevegan, the tomato, white bean with some smoke added, for the bacon affect! it was pretty good. I added my barley to my bowl, so it had more of the soluble fiber in it. I still have to watch my breads too much of that again, although it is all the super fiber kind, either the Ezekiel bread, or the roman meal one. and no butter at all, had a potato too, with only some added tomato chopped up on it, with a bit of salt and pepper. It is amazing, becuz I have both butter and earth balance in the refrig, and I am not going for it any more at all. cool beans there.

I just finished watching the vsh lecture from Dr Milton Mills on diabetes, it was a very good one. I can sit here, and pedal my little bike thing that sits on the floor and can get some exercise as well as the knowledge. It was excellent! Very very well presented, and as always, I come away as a true believer. I just need to follow and never forget this no matter what others around me will say. I will admit that my Dh is beginning to want to agree with me in at least one thing, no cheese, and no eggs!! Dr Mills is from the Physicians for Responsible Medicine, and he particularity mentioned that cheddar cheese is 75% fat and of that 65% is saturated fat, and it is of course fat that can interfere with insulin response!! wow, I was never one to sit there and eat a bit off the block cheese eater, but my Dh sure was!! He did stop doing that at my insistence I might add....
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Christine in Cali » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Hey CL.....Thanks for stopping by and all the encouragement. We all do struggle don't we? As long as we do make that U turn and not say "to hell with I am never going to lose weight, so I might as well get as fat as I can!!" I have said that.....Yikes. We are all too full of knowledge about sad eating and the damage it causes to ever really go back. Keep being persistent with DH and he will get it eventually. Old dogs can learn new tricks if they're motivated enough.

I love thunder storms when I am safe inside....I bet it was very exciting, well it would have been for me at least.....

K, I am sure you are reading this in the AM, so have a good day....oh and about that butter thing? There is a recipe for Corn Butter that Dr. Barnard and Dr M recommends, I haven't tried it yet, I wonder if anyone else has? If you can't find the recipe, I will post it for you.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby WeeSpeck » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:18 am

I tried the corn butter recipe from The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook by Bryanna Clark Grogan.

It is interesting. It consists of water, corn flour, silken tofu and salt. It has the consistency of very soft melted butter. I used masa harina and it came out very smooth and the color of golden butter.

I tried it on my garden fresh corn. Because it was already in a sort of melted consistency, it was very spreadable and very believable if I stretched my imagination.

I don't miss butter all that much, but I do remember toast with sugar and cinnamon blending into the butter as it melts on my toast. That was the true test of the corn butter.

Mm.... :? .. the jury is out. It came out a little soggy and cold. It made me question why I was trying to duplicate something that should not be a staple in my life anymore.

The bottom line is that I have found that I prefer my corn straight off the grill with no condiments to take away from its natural flavor.

And although sugar cinnamon toast has a fond memory in my past, I don't thing I want to spend a lot of time trying to find a way to properly duplicate it. Especially since there are so many wonderful whole foods that meet my needs both emotinally and nutritionally.

I am curious of other recipes out there for corn butter and how anyone else uses it.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby carollynne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:16 am

HI to both Christine and Nancy too! I had never heard of corn butter, but here in plain ppl country, I see a lot of fruit butters,like apple butter, peach butter, but they are just so sweet too. there is one farm stand that as a great no sugar added apple butter and it is wonderful. A lot of spices I know the sweet ones. nothing like an artificial sweetener either. I will have to try out the corn butter too. sounds good to me.
Hey it is just too early to write anything here!! have a good day and thanks so much for stopping by too.
I like the gee whiz spread, made with chick peas and Nut. Yeast and some red peppers, roasted, plain. I bought the red peppers in a jar at the dollar tree store and decided to try it, and now I love it. So with that spread I do get some of the B12 that is so important for us all.
Have a good day to all! And thanks for stopping by too.
carollynne

Postby Rosey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:40 am

mmmm that sounds yummy how much of each do you put in it?
Rosey

Postby carollynne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:21 am

Rosey, here is it!!
gee whiz, is so simple:

one can of white northern beans, drained
(I use the chick peas, 1 and 1/2 cup of my own cooked)
6 T of the N.Y
3 T of lemon or lime juice I like lime better or if you prefer, just sue water too
1 tsp of mustard
1/2 cup of roasted red peppers this does give it a nice kick!
all blended up and it does call for some tahinni, but I just skip that and it tastes great!
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 pm

A great day all around. DH got the new garage opener all up and working, and my car is in the garage again. the men built a huge fire in the stone fire pit, and I am always glad that no one calls anyone in authority to come and put it out. Altho today was not too high, He just piles up a few wooden pallets in there and so it burns high but fast, then the logs finished it up and it is still a nice fire out there. Today (and yesterday) I made the McD Tex-Mex lasagne and it came out nice. a bit spicy because I used the Mex spices, and they are so potent. the recipe calls for 3T of chili powder, and I only used 2 T, but DS came around and said What?? mom you will never be able to stand it!! he was so right, so I reduced it by half, and added a can of roasted diced toms, and more pureed tom. Still too spicy. then 1 t of rice vinegar, then it was ok. Still spicy but not so I could not really stand it. Barely that is. Also had my nice greens salad, some kale and rice and red pepper strips and Bf was my usual steel cut oats and berries. Ds loves to cook and experiment on his own, but loved this recipe too. Just finished up the DVd with Dr Gregor and altho I also heard him on the VSH.org site with same topics, this was good too. and not internet interference... more of this info should be available to all of us, who are so hungry for the facts. We will never get it from the gov sites and those who believe in the gov led facts either.
I had an orange for a snack and now am done for night!
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

ok, then I am not doing so good today, and it will stop right now. I did eat my usual steel cut oats with berries, and then had to have some rye toast with my gee whiz spread, and them the tunny ache started up.
I also worked in my garden cutting down stuff and hauling it myself to the burn circle in middle of yard, and worked up a sweat. I think it may have been the beautiful dark tomato I picked and started to eat, but it was partially sour so I threw it away to the weeds!! but perhaps that was it. but since them I have been scavenging junk to eat. all vegan, but junk none the less.
Lunch was a great dark greens salad, with baby reds, spinach, and tomato. I only put lemon/lime freshly squeezed on it. that seemed to calm my tummy down
I am making up some baked tofu with my own mix of stuff for a marinade and for DH I made up his fav. Spaghetti sauce and (frozen) meatballs for dinner. He loved the smell. .
I am now having some peppermint tea plain, and that is helping some too.
Had too much gas not to think that something is amiss in my colon.
could be that rye toast too... when will I learn??
I am rereading the Tune - Up book in fact, that was my first buy, and then the quick and easy cookbook.
carollynne

Postby Loveskale » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:52 pm

The tune-up book is a good one. I have re-read it a couple of times.

I hope your stomach feels better soon!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Rosey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 pm

That sounds really yummy!!!
Rosey

Postby Christine in Cali » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Sounds like quite the day CL. Hope you feel better. I often get on a roll when I eat something that just isn't right and then there is no stopping me till I get the heartburn. Vicious circle, for me at least. You'll do better tomorrow.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby carollynne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks Christine and Rosey, I am such a confirmed and true believer now!! never again, Now I do feel better, but I am also coming down with something in my throat now. I am up early drinking my good earth cinnamon tea. I plan on making up some potato soup today for my up and coming cold. the weather is turning too, winter is around the corner!! I took some new picture in my flower garden so will show them to you. son will be getting his new car very soon, as soon as it comes in, meanwhile his 88 old rattle trap is dead in the water, and will be sold for junk. A few of the parts are only 2 wks old, but it is just not worth it to repair anymore. And then it had a head gasket problem, and so it goes. So, we help our sons and that is what makes like all about. No buses here in our neck of the woods, soooooo... :eek:
So anyway, my plan for today is to turn that wii on, and exercise with wts too.
My tummy is a lot better, and no real problems, just a very distinct and wee feeling that I knew was not right, nothing like when I had a gall bladder attack than lasted for 10 days,and til I got to the surgeon who wanted to run tests first,,, the they all came back negative !! I just remember that Dr Sheep was my age, and he told me that I had fared better than he has in life, and I asked him did he mean that he was my age and he said yes. But he was so surprised and said that it was a good thing that he had not taken out my gall bladder after all, and even my internist said he could not believe it. I did tel them both that I was vegan and that meant no animal products. That gall bladder attack or what ever was there in my upper right quadrant that was killing me really makes me a believer too. So never again for that one!
Hey did I mention that my house now has no cheese in it at all? finally :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) I convinced DH that it was the killer of all times, the mild protein casein and is known to cause cancerous tumor growth, such as prostrate and breast. He said to me, ok, but I will eat up the rest of this anyway. How about that and now it is all gone! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
You all have a good day out there, in McDougalling land!!
thanks Christine, for saying about your roll!! We are not alone I know!!
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Well today was a bit better I think, I did the wii exercise and logged in 35 min. Also walked the dog a lot outside, pulled up weeds, and chopped down a few flower stalks too.
BF was my usual, oats with berries banana
L was brown rice with potato soup
dinner more of the same with some kale thrown in
snack some of my no- nos nuts and a few graham crackers.
need to get back on track, and stay on it.
but the funny thing is, DH came home with a Philly cheese steak sandwich, and offered me half. I said no, of course not! icky!! then he didn't like it much himself. Ds had bought it for him,thinking it would be great, since he is from Philly afterall.... nice thought really doncha think so? jeesh, but that is life around here, he hopes I will give in, and why I do not know.....
I just finished watching the newest lecture at www.vsh.org on milk and its dangers, and wow, am i ever glad that I do not do that. I never liked milk much any time, but now, oh no!!
anyway. a great lecture, and worth watching again. night all!
carollynne

Postby carollynne » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

hello again, I had a good day, food wise!
B: steel cut oats and frozen berries
L: salad with lot of greens, toms from garden, and only lime juice for dressing.
D: veggie fajita on a brown rice tortilla, hard roll (no -no)
snack was green grapes.
son complimented me today, said I was really getting skinny looking! cool beans to that one.
I used my ankle wts all week, to do my own therapy on knees and ankle too. worked in garden all week, about one hr daily, getting things ready for winter, clearing out old stuff, and thinning some stuff out too.
A good week for me and that makes me
:D :D :D :-D :-D :-D :) :) :)
Today I watched the short video that ocmes on fb from Dr McD it was on HBP. He stated that he follows the British guidelines on HBP and does not medicate if your reading is 160/100 ( I think) and mine actually is. But I am honestly afraid to stop my pills YET will have to think on it more.
carollynne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals